• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Elysium's Veil

Fairfax

Are you fascinated by the complexity and darker elements of the Mahou Shojo genre, much like Madoka Magica? Then this roleplay adventure might be for you.

Embark on a journey in a mystifying world, where you will become magical girls, bound by contracts with enigmatic creatures called Mythkeepers. Your mission is to defend your city from menacing monsters, as you navigate the treacherous and ambiguous relationship with the Mythkeepers.

Each Mythkeeper, taking the form of a god, hero, or monster from various mythologies, grants the magical girls their magical powers. However, the magical girls are unaware of a hidden cost, as the arcane Mythkeepers have designed a perilous system of magic. As the the magical girl use their magic, they gradually lose pieces of their souls. This loss results in fading memories, degenerating personalities, and ultimately becoming empty vessels for the Mythkeepers to inhabit— a process known as Apotheosis.

The roleplay action unfolds as our protagonists find themselves confronted with a new menace: a group of magical girls, "The Seelie Court." Motivated by the belief that they can delay their own Apotheosis by defeating other magical girls, the Seelie Court poses a significant challenge. Will your characters be able to withstand the cunning Seelie Court, all the while struggling to maintain their grasp on their souls in a dance with the enigmatic Mythkeepers?

Venture into the mesmerizing and perilous world of "Elysium's Veil" by joining this roleplay experience!

FAQ I realize that I'm pretty bad at writing interest checks, so I've decided to include a FAQ in the hopes of clarifying some things regarding the setting. If anything else is unclear, please don't hesitate to ask.

Magical Girls? I'm really only using term for the sake of simplicity. Player characters can have any gender identity you want.

How does magic in this setting work? Magic in this setting is pretty straightforward.

Essentially, a magical girls magic is derived from the myth that their Mythkeeper represents. A Mythkeeper that represents Zeus, for example, might give their magical girl the ability to throw bolts of lightning (since Zeus is a lightning god after all), while a Mythkeeper that represents Ares might give their magical girl the ability to manipulate chains (in reference to the Spartan Statue of Ares being bound in chains).

So in short, you can give your character any powers you want as long as you can somehow connect them the myth their Mythkeeper represents (as long as it isn't too big of a stretch, obviously. You can't have, say, a Mythkeeper that represents Ares grant the power of blood manipulation on the basis that Ares is the god of war and people occasionally bleed to death in battle)

There is one exception to keep in mind though:

You can't give your character's based on other gods than your Mythkeeper. Even if that god is/was considered an aspect of the god your Mythkeeper represents. (I.e, you can't give your character whose Mythkeeper is Hermes abilities that revolve around mummification on the basis that the Greeks considered Hermis and Anubis to be the same god).

What's the deal with Mythkeepers? Let's adress the elephant in the room first, the Mythkeepers aren't actually the gods they take the form of. They are as bound by how humanity views the gods their take the form of as vice-versa.

In other words, a Mythkeeper that takes the form of Kronos can grant time related abilities to their magical girl not because Kronos was a god of time (though he definitely was, but that's a rant for another time) but because people think he was.

This is also why there's Mythkeepers of gods like Chernobog and Ixtab even though those gods didn't exist.

What's the Mythkeepers' end goal? In short, the Mythkeepers end goal is to use the body of magical girls who've undergone Apotheosis as vessels for them to increase their power and influence in the mortal realm.

Prior to taking over a body, the Mythkeepers can't really do much. They can manifest themselves into the mortal world for a brief period to enter into a contract with a magical girl and/or check up on them every now and then, but that's really all they can do at the moment.

What's this about monsters?I know I kind of glossed over the idea that the magical girls fight against monsters in the above blurb.

I'll go more into detail about it in a future arc of the roleplay, but the monsters are created by the Mythkeepers as a way to force magical girls to use up their magic (and therefore undergo Apotheosis) quicker.

As a result, the monsters, especially the ones your character will have encountered prior to start of the roleplay won't have posed much of a threat.

After all, a magical girl dying would completely ruin the Mythkeepers plans.

What's the posting requirement? At least a paragraph every four days.

The concept is appealing to me, I'll see if I can create a file for this week or the beginning of the next (excuse me, I'm at the end of the first partials, so I'm still a bit busy)

I have two questions, exactly, when we talk about the interpretations of the gods, we talk about the fact that one god cannot have the powers of the other, since in another culture they were believed to be the same?
but what happens if in a culture a god was a representative of several concepts (to give a quick example, Odin was the god of hunting, war, and magic) should you choose only one of his aspects or can you choose several? Are they limited to gods or can they represent other beings from mythology?

And what are the conditions of dealings with these Mythkeepers? I mean, do you offer any wishes or anything like that? (More than anything to create the character)

I have two questions, exactly, when we talk about the interpretations of the gods, we talk about the fact that one god cannot have the powers of the other, since in another culture they were believed to be the same?
I might have phrased it a bit poorly so I apologize for any confusion.

What I meant was that a Mythkeeper can't grant powers based on another god, even if the two gods were considered as being the same.

So for example, some Greeks considered Yahweh to be an aspect of Dionysus. But if you make a character's Mythkeeper of Dionysus grant, say, storm related powers based on the fact that Yahweh had elements of a storm god.

but what happens if in a culture a god was a representative of several concepts (to give a quick example, Odin was the god of hunting, war, and magic) should you choose only one of his aspects or can you choose several?
You can choose several.

Are they limited to gods or can they represent other beings from mythology?
They can represent any named beings from mythology.

So far example, a Mythkeeper could take the form of Da Ji (a Chinese fox spirit) but they couldn't take the form of an ordinary Chinese fox spirit.

And what are the conditions of dealings with these Mythkeepers? I mean, do you offer any wishes or anything like that?
I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I don't really understand what you mean.

Last edited:
That last question,presumably,is if the Mythkeepers promise any kind of reward (to lure in prospective partners) or if they mainly play on altruism/purpose like "monsters are hurting people,I need you to be a hero and fight them"

That last question,presumably,is if the Mythkeepers promise any kind of reward (to lure in prospective partners) or if they mainly play on altruism/purpose like "monsters are hurting people,I need you to be a hero and fight them"
Ah, in that case Sujeto202 Sujeto202 , they can't really provide any reward but they can certainly promise one.

Some just rely on emotional manipulation though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back