TV & Film ᗪᑌᑎE

Murdergurl

will turn your insides into your outsides
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
No SPOILERS

I just saw the new Dune movie last night, and I have to say that it was top-tier. Worlds better than the one from 1984. I would go as far as to say that Denis Villeneuve has done for Dune what Peter Jackson did for Lord of the Rings. I read the book as a young teen, and then later in my early twenties. I don't remember all the details to a T. But I can tell you that you do NOT need to have read the book at all to follow the new movie.

I can only hope that this epic film does some good to revitalize the sci-fi community and bring more people into the genre as a whole. I've always felt that science fiction (especially sci-fi not based in the modern world) is grossly represented in online creative communities. When I see great, new movies like Mad Max: Fury Road, Blade Runner: 2049, and now this DUNE reboot, I always hope that it inspires more people to delve further into science fiction.

I've been looking to watch this. I probably will get around to it today. Depending on how I feel about it, I may add the book to my reading list.

I've been looking to watch this. I probably will get around to it today. Depending on how I feel about it, I may add the book to my reading list.
The book is pretty good. They are a series, but I've only ever read the first one. Just an FYI, the movie is 2 1/2 hours long and does not finish off where the original movie does. I guess with all the added story that they omitted in the (1984) movie, they are gonna make it into two parts. I'm just telling you this in case you've never read the book or seen the old movie: It DOESN'T end there!

The book is pretty good. They are a series, but I've only ever read the first one. Just an FYI, the movie is 2 1/2 hours long
Ah.
That's no problem, I love long movies. I would be surprised if it wasn't long lol.

Sorry, I didn't see the rest of your message. Oh, really? That's interesting. I guess I'll have to see the 1984 film too. Did you like one over the other?

Ah.
That's no problem, I love long movies. I would be surprised if it wasn't long lol.

Sorry, I didn't see the rest of your message. Oh, really? That's interesting. I guess I'll have to see the 1984 film too. Did you like one over the other?
well, you have to appreciate the '84 movie for what it was. They tried to tackle the novel with the tech they had at the time and an average movie run-time. But tbh, the old movie was... lacking in proper detail, and some scenes are just confusing. This new one is SO much better. I can't wait for pt.2, and I'll likely re-watch this recent one a couple more times (which I don't often do with movies) before it comes out

It was okay. I'd say it's better then Lynch's version as a story [Well, so far, only half the story] and it's easier to understand for people who haven't read Dune, but I preferred lynch's set pieces more. They felt more... just more. You could glean more about the cultures of the various worlds from the set pieces in the 84 version, while Dune 2021 is more subdued and sleek. Probably just personal taste.

Most of the changes I am neutral about. Like Jessica is far more emotional and expressive in this movie then she ever was in any of the other sources, so she feels more like a 'mom' then the 'Bene Gesserit' she is. It does make her have a little less gravitas, making her more expressive does help make her more relatable and strengthen the bonds between her and Paul, so neutral about it. I wouldn't say it's negative or positive, more like a different take on it and it doesn't bother me as if it's to help both feel more relatable, it certainly did that job. The change to Kynes doesn't bother me, Kynes was a minor side character so it's not like it changes anything, only thing that made me sad was I liked Kynes' [And his father's] story in the prequels, and the new background they gave her was.... just generic in comparison, but the actress did a good job, and I liked her. I get why they steered away from the Baron's sexuality, and it doesn't bother me that they did.

A change I liked was Duncan Idaho. Favorite character, got more screen time. Never gonna say no to that. Also love the extra effort they put into Duncan and Paul's relationship.

A change I can't stand is the new pronunciation they went with for Harkonnen. That is clearly an O. Not an E. Why in world would you call it 'Har-Ken-En?' Are they harkening back to something? Because, again, clearly an O. It should be Har-Ko-Nen. That bugged my every, single, time someone said it. Why? Why!?

Really fun movie, especially for people who love Sci-Fis, I don't consider it as good as Mad Max: Fury Road but very good and I look forward, and hope, for a part 2.

It was okay. I'd say it's better then Lynch's version as a story [Well, so far, only half the story] and it's easier to understand for people who haven't read Dune, but I preferred lynch's set pieces more. They felt more... just more. You could glean more about the cultures of the various worlds from the set pieces in the 84 version, while Dune 2021 is more subdued and sleek. Probably just personal taste.

Most of the changes I am neutral about. Like Jessica is far more emotional and expressive in this movie then she ever was in any of the other sources, so she feels more like a 'mom' then the 'Bene Gesserit' she is. It does make her have a little less gravitas, making her more expressive does help make her more relatable and strengthen the bonds between her and Paul, so neutral about it. I wouldn't say it's negative or positive, more like a different take on it and it doesn't bother me as if it's to help both feel more relatable, it certainly did that job. The change to Kynes doesn't bother me, Kynes was a minor side character so it's not like it changes anything, only thing that made me sad was I liked Kynes' [And his father's] story in the prequels, and the new background they gave her was.... just generic in comparison, but the actress did a good job, and I liked her. I get why they steered away from the Baron's sexuality, and it doesn't bother me that they did.

A change I liked was Duncan Idaho. Favorite character, got more screen time. Never gonna say no to that. Also love the extra effort they put into Duncan and Paul's relationship.

A change I can't stand is the new pronunciation they went with for Harkonnen. That is clearly an O. Not an E. Why in world would you call it 'Har-Ken-En?' Are they harkening back to something? Because, again, clearly an O. It should be Har-Ko-Nen. That bugged my every, single, time someone said it. Why? Why!?

Really fun movie, especially for people who love Sci-Fis, I don't consider it as good as Mad Max: Fury Road but very good and I look forward, and hope, for a part 2.
I thought they did very well to keep to the theme and mood of the original. The cultures were clearly depicted differently and (imo) they spent more time to really depict it. the only character I think they really detracted on was Yueh. They did a bit more in the '84 version to give that character some depth.

I'm loving Bautista in Sting's old role as Rabban.

I did notice some of the pronunciations were... off. I only really thought about it now that you mentioned it. I thought it was just me, but I guess you saw it too. lol

I am an avid sci-fi fan, and this movie did not dissapoint.

I thought they did very well to keep to the theme and mood of the original. The cultures were clearly depicted differently and (imo) they spent more time to really depict it. the only character I think they really detracted on was Yueh. They did a bit more in the '84 version to give that character some depth.

I'm loving Bautista in Sting's old role as Rabban.

I did notice some of the pronunciations were... off. I only really thought about it now that you mentioned it. I thought it was just me, but I guess you saw it too. lol

I am an avid sci-fi fan, and this movie did not dissapoint.

I didn't really feel the cultures between the houses coming through. Mostly just color differences in the 2021 movie. Not saying the theme and mood of 2021 Dune isn't good, just I much prefer the set designs of the 1984 movie.

Sting was Feyd! He's Rabban's younger brother. The Baron has two uber evil nephews. He didn't really play much of a role in the 84 movie, being super outshined by Sting's Feyd, but I do really love Bautista as Glossu 'The Beast' Rabban. Bautista is bringing like an animal fury to the role and it's great. Like a big angry dog on a leash. Think my favorite so far though is probably Javier Bardem's Stilgar. But I just love Javier Bardem, they could make a movie with him sitting in a chair just reading books out loud, and I'd watch it.

Something about the movie bugged me, and I couldn't figure it out, but I woke up this morning and was like, ah! That's it. They kept pouncing it weird, and it is the only thing I just can't stand.

No SPOILERS

I just saw the new Dune movie last night, and I have to say that it was top-tier. Worlds better than the one from 1984. I would go as far as to say that Denis Villeneuve has done for Dune what Peter Jackson did for Lord of the Rings. I read the book as a young teen, and then later in my early twenties. I don't remember all the details to a T. But I can tell you that you do NOT need to have read the book at all to follow the new movie.

I can only hope that this epic film does some good to revitalize the sci-fi community and bring more people into the genre as a whole. I've always felt that science fiction (especially sci-fi not based in the modern world) is grossly represented in online creative communities. When I see great, new movies like Mad Max: Fury Road, Blade Runner: 2049, and now this DUNE reboot, I always hope that it inspires more people to delve further into science fiction.
Ahh forgive me for jumping in, but I'd love to join the discussion! I also watched Dune, two nights ago - now as a disclaimer I've never read the books and have never watched the 1984 version, though I know it vaguely as a cultural icon (aka legendary sandworms).

Anyway, I have to be honest, Dune blew me away in the beginning. Villeneuve was just incredible in his visual representation of the world, and knowing absolutely nothing about Dune, I was incredibly invested in it's worldbuilding from minute one. Then there's Hans Zimmer, the man the myth the legend himself, who accompanied Villeneuve's visuals with a soundtrack that would make entire orchestras weep tears of joy. The soundtrack was eerie, powerful but at times awkwardly placed.

But I have to be even more honest, I had no idea what was going on as a viewer. They made references to in-world things that I bet only someone who's read the books/watched the '84 version would really get, and even then, it's not only references but some of the aspects of the world itself that confused the heck out of me and there was never any explanation to what one thing was, or why this is - characters just acted like it was normal (which tbf, it is in their eyes) but to a clueless, Dune-less viewer such as myself, I was just left hangin'. The plot is incredibly drawn out and at times I believe I almost dozed off quite a few times because characters were just exposition dumping and nothing was really happening. This is the first time I've seen Timothee Chalamet in a movie, and despite the fact that I can tell he's quite good in acting, his side of the script was just so bland I really couldn't invest in him because they just kept on treating him like an NPC in his own movie. No personality, no life, etc;. A lot of things they built up never really got a payoff at the end, which sucked :/

But that's my negative nancy-ing opinion lmfao! TLDR; visuals, effects, soundtrack 10/10, storyline/character development 3/10

I watched the movie on Saturday with my brother. I knew the basic premise, but I hadn't read any of the books. I did enjoy it and it prompted me to finally take the book off my shelf and read it. It's been sitting around for ages actually, but I had so much other stuff I was reading.

So, my uncle really really wanted to see the movie and I had said yes, but he told me about a week before we went to go so I had time to at least Audiobook most of the book to make sense of it cause I've not read/watched the series until then LOL But thoroughly did enjoy it.

I found the movie fascinating in that it mixed some semi-historical (fictional historical) ideas into the future/Cyberpunk universe. I would absolutely love to see some ideas based off the movie/book.

I found the movie fascinating in that it mixed some semi-historical (fictional historical) ideas into the future/Cyberpunk universe. I would absolutely love to see some ideas based off the movie/book.
honestly, I'm surprised I haven't seen Dune inspired RPs crop up. It happens with all kinds of other (imo less deserving) movies. So why not here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back