Experiences Dungeons and Dragons, anyone?

salem.

inactive, hiatus
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hiiii it’s me again! Im pretty sure im not the only D&D fan in here, so I want to start a small D&D themed conversation! Feel free to talk anything nerdy! On how oh much of a pain is to track how many arrows you have when playing a ranger, or having to deal with the people who for some reason keep pulling out their phones at your games! Have you been a DM before? Do you have a favourite character, race, class? How’d you get into D&D?, Talk about all that stuff here!

also I might or might not be thinking about making a D&D game/campaign thing haha but do tell me if you’d be interested on a D&D game ok bye

Me and a group of friends started a dnd campaign and it's the most chaotic thing ever. For the most part we drive our poor DM insane XD

The first or second session I rolled a few d20s in a row and long story short we now have a cleric dragon named "fluffy".

The DM also changed my character's alignment from true neutral to chaotic neutral, for many many reasons lmao. Probably because I almost accidentally summoned Cthulhu.

I'm a forever DM so I rarely get to play. But when I do play my favourite race is by far the Drow, shame that such few tables let you play one. So I've started playing a half-Drow using the variant half-elf rules from SWAG.

As far as a favourite class goes, I really like zealot barbarians. Though I'm also partial to wizards and death clerics.

I got into playing D&D when I was 14. Quit when I went to college because everyone was too busy.
A little while ago my work hosted a D&D one-shot with as goal to connect people since we're all working from home, It stayed at a one-shot for most of us, since the DM already has two other campaigns....
BUT one day later I get a message from the DM saying he liked my playstyle, that I may fit in with one of his campaigns and that he'd gotten the impression I wanted to keep playing. Well, he was right!

So I made an Aasimar Cleric (Light Domain) who spend 20 years or so of her relatively short life living in a temple. She's a sweetheart, but she doesn't really know how to people. It's fun!
High wis and average int (10 INT and 17 WIS)
I'm looking forward to diving into her personality further. I've played her for a few sessions now. One of the last times we took on 20 zombies. DM was 100% certain we'd die... but we killed them all. (We were lvl 2, so....)

Isolde just started talking to me a few days back, so I wrote down what she had to tell me about her childhood. (I'm an author. Characters have the tendency to get chatty with me XD)

Haha, as much as I love the concept of DnD, I never had the pleasure of being in a good group - you know, those that help beginners out. My first experience was a shitty DM telling me my "sheet was wrong" but never saying what is wrong with it.
Well, maybe I'll try to find a new group sometime when my anxiety leaves.

Pretty vague prompt, I'm always bad with that type of question... I'll suppose I'll take some hints from other comments and the initial example questions...

History With D&D
So I started trying out D&D A little on my first or second year of college if I recall correctly. My first character ever was a dragonborn druid who had been raised by one of the other party members and had a thing for sculpting wooden statues. I remember a number of embarrassing moments from back then XD
We completed a small level 1-5 adventure, at the time I was still trying to play in D&D sessions with voice. However, after that our group kept trying to make a new campaign, but the old DM wanted to try being a player and new DMs didn't seem to hold the position for long. In addition to that, because I live with other people and these sessions often ended at 3-4 in the morning for me, doing voice proved entirely unsustainable, and soon I would end up leaving the group altogether as I realized I just couldn't play in that way.
After that I tried experimenting with written sessions but for timing reasons it didn't seem to work out. Something which I felt did, however, was when I discovered play-by-post D&D here in RPN, which I play to this day.

Nowadays I've even been working on some homebrew content of my own,

D&D was not the only dice system I learned (There is also Open Legend and Fate Core, which I learned while experimenting roleplaying inside World of Warcraft), but it certainly was one which prompted me to further explore and learn that I really enjoyed dice-based roleplays. The systematization that often comes with dice is really quite up my alley, I've come to find, while also not becoming overly predictable.

What I need in a Game
When it comes to joining a D&D campaign, aside from availability I do generally have a small wishlist of things I want to see. I called them needs, but truth be told they aren't strictly necessary, but do become more necessarily depending on the leeway I have.

The first is multiclassing. I generally like to multiclass, as I believe it helps me reflect the kind of character concept I want to make better a lot of the time. The second thing also has that same reasoning, and it's the ability to have ability scores under 8. And of course, the third thing is needed to even multiclass, which is starting at a level higher than 1, at least 3.

Allowing unearthed arcana and homebrew are also pretty big bonuses for me! Unearthed arcana opens up a lot of possibilities, and a chance to playtest my homebrew is welcome almost every time.

Favorites
My own homebrew aside, I do have some favorites:

-Warlocks are my favorite class. Eldritch invocations give some pretty neat abilities that can be used at will, making it so you don't immediately poof one of your neatest features with a couple uses, and in terms of roleplay "I made a pact with some being to attain this power" has just so much potential for flavor and possibilities and variety... They are also great for multiclassing because of the parallel spell slots.
-Wild Magic Sorcerer is my favorite subclass, cause I love the idea of the wild magic table. I do think some aspects of it could be refined, but it's one I look forward to someday playing because it seems really fun.
-My favorites race is a tie between Changeling and Kenku. I also really like Warforged and the different flavors of vampires, but mechanically I think I favor Yuan-Ti Purebloods the most.
-"Command" is my favorite spell, as it's a low level spell with such as badass mind-control effect that really encourages creative use. Love "Geass" as well.

Now that I mentioned some favorites, I would also mention I kind of don't like bards. Which is weird from someone who tried playing one not that long ago, but the thing I don't like about bards is their versatility. When a bard is on the team, they have the skill proficiencies. ALL the skill proficiencies. That to me just feels so intrusive as someone who likes having "my thing" and my own place in a team, someone just going like "oh I can do that too" feels like it cheapens that.

And I think I'll leave it at that for today!

Haha, as much as I love the concept of DnD, I never had the pleasure of being in a good group - you know, those that help beginners out. My first experience was a shitty DM telling me my "sheet was wrong" but never saying what is wrong with it.
Well, maybe I'll try to find a new group sometime when my anxiety leaves.

I share the same sentiment. I’d like to explore the world of D&D, but have never found a good group for it. If you need a newbie buddy for a D&D group, I’d love to re-try and join in. Newbies can stick together! :)

Before 2020 came and critted our group meetings, I was in a dedicated group playing Curse of Strahd (no spoilers please).
I really miss getting to play my human druid. One of the other players was her twin brother (a barbarian) and together they shared one singular braincell. The sheer idiocy between those two was one of the best times I've had playing any rpg (the same group has tried out many systems, and since we are all much more about acting out our characters than rules heavy, it didn't matter much so far, but 5e is nice and lightweight and suits our needs perfectly)

lightbox lightbox and J Jules8008 , I really hope you two find a group that matches your needs. Good group chemistry and open conversation really makes the game for me, but I've alsobeen in some one shots at other tables that would have easily turned me off the game if it would have been my first experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back