• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Dungeon Storming! Fast paced dungeon crawls!

Beckoncall

World-Weaver and servant to the most-holy PC
Supporter
This might be a series of one-offs, or have continuity between them, but the way I envision the RP going is I will GM a free-form (maybe some dice involved if wanted) Fighting-Fantasy-esque fast-paced dungeon-crawls... but without the crawl! Conducted in forum or Discord Chat, the center of emphasis will be on covert ops or storming the front of a dungeon or similar untamed area, and the idea is to sweep/clear and pacify the threats within.

"Games" could be 1on1 (perhaps with NPC allies) or parties of players and I'll expand the dungeon and give encounters.

Loose concept:

"Dungeon Clearing Company is hiring heroes!"

Why leave the caves, castles and ruins to the monsters when people could be mining, looting, or ruling from them? The DCC Wants YOU alone or in groups to storm, infiltrate, sweep and clear lairs of evil and wild domains of monsters. Must have a craving for adventure and no pause in the face of fear! Success rewarded with stock in the operations that replace the evil you've expunged!

So it's time to kick down some doors, ambush the GOBLINS for a change, and show the monsters what a REAL invasion means!

--If you are interested in fast-paced forum or discord-chat-based fantasy adventure(s) -- please respond to my interest check!

-Beck

Sounds like a text version of the rogue-like dungeon games, which happen to be my favorite genre, so I'm totally in. What's your idea on classes/character limits? Anything in particular you're looking for in characters? I'm assuming since it's gonna be done in "episodes" all split up, we can toy around with a handful of different characters each, right? :D

Totally correct. I'm going to be keeping dice mechanics behind a screen, but the level of power for characters I'm looking for is colloquially referred to as "badass" -- that's not immortal, godmoding, or OP -- but to give you perspective:

A soldier can take on 5 goons and likely win. A badass can take on 5 soldiers and likely win.

This means other badasses it will come down to tactics, luck, and good ideas. For things tougher than badasses it will all be about having the right ideas, weak points, preparation, or running like hell.

You can try a different character for each run, or if you die or flee on a run bring in a new guy. I am toying with the idea of characters leading a squad of NPCs they can command/strategize with to overcome larger obstacles, and cover the flanks and rear. especially if only one or two players are doing the run.

I am open to any race/class combos -- as long as they don't break the "badass" rule.

Going to leave this interest check open -- but since we have 3 interested players already I'll say I'll be officially open to games within a couple of days, players PM me for my discord ID, and if you times align, YOU'RE GOING ON A DUNGEON STORM!

I am thinking high fantasy, limited gunpowder.

Players would pick "contracts" for places to clear of monsters/threats and then depending who was associated with the contracts be given extra equipment. A wizard might give a variety of scrolls and potions, dwarves might give some blackpowder gear and flashbangs, elves might supply medicine or missile support.

The game I envision starts with a quick matter of fact briefing.... what contracts are available, and then when a contract is picked what the goals and target(s) are, and what the support team owning the contract is willing to offer.

Then a SWAT-style dungeon siege commences, kicking down doors, claiming turf, and eventually clearing the dungeon or cutting losses, or dying in the attempt.

I might suggest as well some form of node for character interaction (I love character development and building character relationships with each other) and one that seems to be tried and true is "The Generic Tavern". A central meeting place (or in our case, a separate dedicated long-running thread that runs parallel to any and all contracts at once) for the characters to meet up in between missions to chat, swap gear and trade war stories, have a barfight or talk team tactics, something where they can still be in character and build themselves and each other up for the next dungeon run

. Maybe have a "Graveyard" thread too, where the characters that did spend their afterlife, and the living characters can visit and give flowers and pour ale in the graves of their fallen companions. That way we can keep track of who has passed on (like you write a small tombstone obituary for each one that passed on "Here Lies Good Ol' Grok, Didn't See the Falling Rock" XD) and perhaps have a few of them resurrected with the appropriate payment to the grave keeper if we really decide we want to get them back in the game again.

Just some thoughts I had, take them and leave them as you see fit XD

Also, the dungeon runs, will they be recurring locations? Like we can burn through a dungeon for a mission objective and return for anything we missed or left behind, or are they one-shot "take'em or leave'em" instances?

Dungeons can be one shot, or visited repeatedly... I will try to have a "press your luck" kind of element to the game where you really have to decide if you're going to push to the end or if you want to at certain points claim an area or secure it to clear it of remaining threats and get a payment on the contract.

For example, dwarfs want you to clear a mine -- you liberate areas that have mineral, gold or gem veins -- if you secure choke points into the area you can consider part of the dungeon "done" and return for another run... the dwarfs will be happy to have at least a segment locked down.

I like the idea for the tavern and graveyard threads, and will make them in the quest forum. The tavern could also be a good place to discuss contracts without burning time in chat or having to relay the same information over and over. :D

Great ideas! we'll be rolling in no time!

I'd suggest not making them in the Quest forums, since those are made to be basically CYOA (Choose Your Own Adventure) threads, they might get moved around by admins and stuff. I'd suggest if you're going to make them fast-paced dungeon runs, I'd suggest making them on Discord because you can make a mwhole board of threads there or possibly even work on making this into a full-fledged Hosted Project to keep all these organized and not make a million individual Quest threads that get lost to the winds.

I made the original thread in the Fantasy Forum... I presently lack the skills to make a discord forum by myself -- but yes, three channels (gaming, tavern, graves) would be awesome on discord. that said, A presence on the RPN forums will assure a steady stream of players if the game is worth playing.

General Deth Glitch General Deth Glitch -- I know your knowledge of Discord is better than mine -- can you make a discord channel with a labelled "Tavern", "Adventure" and "Boneyard" channels?

I made the original thread in the Fantasy Forum... I presently lack the skills to make a discord forum by myself -- but yes, three channels (gaming, tavern, graves) would be awesome on discord. that said, A presence on the RPN forums will assure a steady stream of players if the game is worth playing.

General Deth Glitch General Deth Glitch -- I know your knowledge of Discord is better than mine -- can you make a discord channel with a labelled "Tavern", "Adventure" and "Boneyard" channels?

Already got you covered, mate! I'll PM you the server link and we can work together to set it up there before we open it up to the general public. Might be a bit easier over Discord since we can just add on a new channel for each dungeon and location, as well as add multiple links for things like canon lore you decide to add or special NPCs and magical artifacts you feel are important to mention.

Hey! I populated the lists somewhat, we can talk about where to go from here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back