• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic DROP DEAD GORGEOUS [Military RP]

Malphaestus

Touched by the Apocalypse
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Futuristic - DROP DEAD GORGEOUS - OOC
The Roleplay is up. Join now before it starts!

DROP DEADGORGEOUS

Drop Dead Gorgeous, a Science-Fiction military roleplay following the 715th Armored Recon in their ventures into the first interstellar war in human history. Affiliated with the federal Interstellar Union of Nations, humanity takes to the stars with a thrist for blood after a horrifying incident in one of the capital city of Europaia's districts. You will participate in this story as a member of the Fifteenth Plutoon, 715th Armored Recon as they lead the tip of the spear in a Force Recon operation marking the beginning to the first war for more than three centuries.

This is my first character-driven roleplay in a while, so bear with me. Any assistance would be highly appreciated, of course, but I won't force it out of you. This interest check is only to test the waters with this idea I recently got. I wrote a rather lenghty snippet to sum up the OOC introduction so that you know what's going on from a character perspective. This 'pilot' thing will only serve as the basis for characters to be informed of the setting and much more freedom and information will become readily available to the writers as you get to make your characters if/when this roleplay gets to that stage.

Chirping, the almost endless singing of mother nature reverberated off of the glass walls, the concrete floors, and the steel beams all around you. The gushing air rushing past your ears, freezing them ever so slightly at the first embrace. Your mittens, cheap and stale, barely qualified to be considered sufficient as the winter draws closer and the rain becomes substituted by hail, frost, and feet of snow. It is almost time, the time for christmas yet again, the once in a year occurance which sends the entire world mad with the power of marketing and a hallowed spirit. All seems so peaceful, so relaxed and carefree. It almost feels as if you had no reason for going here, but instead merely are here.

Whatever purpose you had was soon reintroduced into your mind as your sudden moment of enlightenment was quickly witched away from you by the urban sprawl and the inhabitants that come with it. You were, in fact, not in the middle of the Himalayas, no you were in the middle of Europaia, the largest city ever devised. Thousands flock around you, but not because you're particularly special, but because you're in the middle of rush hour, and it is, in fact, quite busy out here in the biggest metropolis known to man. You work at the marketing district, or at least you're about to. Whatever past you had is now gone with the wind, your new story begins now! You'll be a cashier at the city's most successful clothing store. Don't like it? Well, the government couldn't offer you anything else due to high demand and low supply.

You think to yourself that, if you can't be a banker, or whatever else you had thought of becoming at age eleven, then you might as well become the best store clerk and cloth shop worker there ever was, write a book about it or something, and become damn famous off of it. That'd be it, no more horsing around in this utopia of a horse stall.

This is what you thought...

This is not what became.

Whatever your past had been, no matter your credentials, your accomplishments, or your exceptional lack thereof, your ambitions would be shaped quickly and rapidly into something you couldn't possibly have expected.

Why?

As your mind returned to you after moments of absentmindedness, you find yourself at the stopsign at an intersection. Surrounded by people and shops all around, divided by the numerous intersecting pathways and roads carrying with them the never-ending vehicles that drive the lifeblood of Europaia's automotive industries. As the sign seemed about ready to switch from "Stop!" to "Go!", you felt a sudden rumble clawing itself into your bones, and with the ominous sound of rumbling in the background, the former advertisement monitors hanging off every surface on the structural behemoths all around you, what seemed like the news came on.

You and everyone surrounding you, or anyone you might've come with, turned to meet the screens surrounding them from every direction. It was a man, uniformed up and seated in what might as well be considered a plastic chair - not particularly impressive, but as soon as your arbitrary judgements even began to surface, his mouth opened, and spoke the following words:

"Citizen of Europaia, members of the Interstellar Union of Nations.

I am General Mccahn, Chief of Staff of the IUN Research and Discovery Bureau.

As of 0900 this morning, the Probe Ikaros IV has arrived at Haven, officially known as Exoplanet A08C8917."

The crowd around you cheered, their otherwise introverted shyness completely removed at the sound of this incredible news. After all, the first probe to ever venture beyond the Pegasus Cluster has finally made its way there, and reported back as well. The idea of it even arriving was, after all, a hot debate four years ago, with news covering every corner and every sidewalk of the city with doubt and hopes alike. You can't help but feel your heart rise, what if humanity really has a place in the galaxy after all? The thought of travel beyond the Pegasus cluster was hypothesised impossible, with the black matter sphere that surrounded the five 'human stars', cutting them off from the galaxy at large.

At least that's what you remember from watching the TV. Or was it during your school practices? You really can't remember right now, the moment is too powerful. The General did not seem loose of even better news either. As his face drew the curtains on its previously monotone and inhumanly objective demeaneur and instead adopting the far more relatable facial cloth of a child ready to recieve their reward. He continued:

"Life has found its way beyond our solar system.

Haven is Green, I say!

Haven is Green..."

Once more the crowd around you grew a life of its own, and you could not help but feel happiness as the General continued speaking in the background of the massive upheaval. Thankfully the broadcast was subtitled, or otherwise no one would be able to comprehend a word over the unfathomable uproar of the crowd. It would seem like an expeditionary force has already been established under command of the Interstellar Nations' Military Command; recruitment necessary. Maybe it is your time to shine?

Well, for now you gotta get to that shop!

It's been a year since you first arrived here, at the Ramstein Military Academy. Yet it feels like just yesterday you came here with an open mind and a heart full of spirits; there was a world out there waiting for us after all. The idea of being the first human to venture beyond the Pegasus Barrier-Line was enough to make even the most hardy of your classmates jittery with excitement after all. It's a direct ticket to the history books, and maybe your name will be etched in there. Months and months of studying, physical exercising and training were spent in preparation for this moment, the Junior Academic Evaluation.

First of five intense physical and mental trials, the Junior Academic Evaluation is often considered by former Policemen and Special Force Operatives alike to be the most tough. Why? Frame of mind, simply put. It is the first step into the unknown lifestyle and know-how necessary by a soldier, and even more so an interstellar ambassador serviced with a firearm capable of penetrating anything that isn't military-grade armour plating. From a brief store clerk to a Frontier Explorer with the Interstellar Nations' military...

Almost a fairytale, quite a ridiculous story when you think back on it. Well, whatever. Let the past be the past, your mind is on the future; on Haven.

It was in the middle of night when obnoxious buzzing pierced your ears and shook you up from an exhausted slumber, only to be met with the otherworldly glow of red slipping its way across your windows and into the barracks.

Not the first one to wake up, and certainly not the first one to take action, you quickly get your gear and move out into the open field, taking a knee and lying down in cover behind the Barracks in order to regroup with your unit. The glow continued, and the piercing screeching not yet ended, you try and knock your ears in order with a few 'love taps'. You soon regained your composure, and your analytical ability.

It was the air raid alarm!

What?!

How could the air raid alarm go out? Was it an exercise? Where is the barracks officer?

Your brief questions were momentarily swept away by the timely arrival, or maybe return, or your barracks supervisor, Lieutenant Luster. His otherwise welcoming vibe cut off at the source, his face grimy and serious, he approached the Plutoon with a determined sprint. The Staff Sergeant waved him in around the momentary chaos of soldiers making their way from left to right in what had suddenly turned into an organized distribution of personnel no doubt coordinated by the academy brass and local army base officers.

"Alright! Step up, kids." Slang for shut up and let me do the talking. Things must indeed be serious, thought the screeching alarm isn't exactly any proof otherwise. "Command just dispatched special orders to Ramstein Milport; signals approaching. Black Mast, guys, get rea-"

It was rather abrupt actually, thinking back on it.

Your moderately calm life, filled with the joys and troubles that joining the army would entail. Never would you imagine that, at that moment, your entire life would feel so miniscule in the reflection of what had just appeared before you.

You remember it well, as if it was a mere hours ago. As the Lieutenant got ready to send you off to the trenches, behind him it appeared.

It was a shape titanic in size, reaching from heaven to hell, and it appeared out of thin air. Your jaw might as well have dropped to the ground as your stare was shared amongst the rest of your plutoon members.

"THE TRENCHES! MOVE!"

Your body has not moved so fast in your life as when your ran towards the trenches, joined by every other member at the base/military academy. Every spotlight every invented was directed towards the object occupying the vast majority of the skyscape.

As you found the trench merely miniscule fathoms in front, you felt the Earth quake, and what felt like the entire world shaking knocked you off balance, sending you face first into the trench. Your ears rung, and your oblivious gaze locked with the worried and frantic faces of your friends and brothers'n'sisters-in-arms. As you looked at the face of the Lieutenant, his mouth never seizing to move as you could feel the loudness of his voice at the touch of your skin. His eyes shifting from left to right to left, whatever he was doing, you certainly weren't.

You were lie frozen at the bottom of the trench, surrounded by soldiers and a medic checking your status. Above you, you saw the edge of the unidentified craft, still as ever in the skies above the place.

Suddenly, you saw a flash. A flash like the sun race across your peripherals, and shortly thereafter you felt the same shaking as you had moments before, this time leaving the thousands of soldiers all around you awestruck as the shake tossed the lot of you around like nothing. What kind of thing could have made a shockwave that does such a thing?

Your mind is quickly left empty, as it has been for the past few moments as you simply can't even begin to process what's going on. The awe of the sight of whatever was happening leaving you and everyone else without much to say. Just as you're about to faint from whatever it is you've got, the Lieutenant, as filled with power as ever, reaches out to you.

As he does, your mind becomes black, and your senses fade away...

"Today at Twelve-Fifteen an unidentified airborne craft was spotted above the skies of the Military Academy, fifteen kilometers south of the Ramstein Space Elevator.

Military officials released official words regarding the matter earlier this afternoon, claiming that the craft is unaffiliated with the Interstellar Union's Airborne Command or Space Command. Superior General Robert Bylche, current acting head of the Interstellar Union of Nation's military, has further commented that an investigation headed by General Arthur Mccahn, Chief of Staff of the Bureau of Research and Discovery, is underway.

After the craft launched two projectiles, detonating at the extremes of the district's borders, it supposedly disappeared without any form of trace.

The event has currently claimed the lives of 15 000 civilians, and 110 military officials, the projectiles detonating at the foot of the Abstein-Luther Citytower building, killing everyone inside, and the Ramstein Military Headquarters.

And now for a moment of silence for the departed..."

As you lie in the infirmary, your legs broken, you turn the TV off with a determined push of the button...

You throw the remote at the door, silence the only response.

It's been five years since that one eventful day just before winter time had come, that spectacular day where everything just seemed like it was falling into place. As the ship casts off for the stars on the backs of millions of dutiful and respectful peoples and individuals, you sit in your seat silent as you look ahead at the television embedded into the wall just ahead of you. You can see the frantic waving, the flowers tossed, and the hopes and dreams of every civilian onlooker from just outside the fences, quartering off the Military Dockyards from the rest of Ramstein District. Just as you found yourself letting out a cheeky smile, looking at a child sitting on the shoulders of her mother, you felt the rocking of the engines kick into gear, and your entire being shook uncomfortably. You remembered back to the incident three years ago, two years after you had first entered.

Nothing has been heard since then, be it from Haven or the unidentified craft. Supposedly the two were related, at least according to the 'wise words' of General Mccahn. His only job was to figure out the identity of one single object the size of the former United Kingdoms, and the only thing he comes up with is that it arrived from the direction of Haven? Meanwhile the efforts of literally every other department of military were invested in organizing the first war in humanity's interstellar history? You obviously have bad feelings about this entire ordeal, but they're washed away by the mix of pride and fearless fury for whatever, or whoever had attacked that fateful night three years ago.

Five years of backbreaking, headscratching, utterly hellish work through both thick and thin, mental and physical, written and spoken trials. Finally, your training has made its way known, you're finally enlisted!

Though your first real job might very well be your last. Were you the only one who thought that? You couldn't help but wonder as you gazed around you at the rows upon rows of fellow soldiers all around you. Your journey into space has begun.

Last edited:
I'm interested I have an idea of what to roleplay and like this idea but I can't help but raise an eyebrow at the potential organisation for your units.

15th Platoon? Normally platoons don't number so high. Seeing 3 or 4, maybe even 5 of them within a company of any reasonable and workable size. With 15, if they're all 30-40 men?, thats 450-600 per company (more like a battalion). Which means a battalion alone would be absurdly overmanned 450-600 x 4, 1800-2400 (more like a brigade or regiment). The brigade level would be very much closer to a division at that point with well over 6000 men at any point. Typically a unit is undermanned and not over. This is a lot of people.

I know it's a nitpick but it really throws me off trying to imagine how this works. Is the 715th Armoured Reconnaissance just one of it's kind like the 75th Army Ranger Regiment? Is it a company, battalion, regiment or division? I know weird, not asking about overall plot or direction but.... simple organisation.

Last edited:
I'm interested I have an idea of what to roleplay and like this idea but I can't help but raise an eyebrow at the potential organisation for your units.

15th Platoon? Normally platoons don't number so high. Seeing 3 or 4, maybe even 5 of them within a company of any reasonable and workable size. With 15, if they're all 30-40 men?, thats 450-600 per company (more like a battalion). Which means a battalion alone would be absurdly overmanned 450-600 x 4, 1800-2400 (more like a brigade or regiment). The brigade level would be very much closer to a division at that point with well over 6000 men at any point. Typically a unit is undermanned and not over. This is a lot of people.

I know it's a nitpick but it really throws me off trying to imagine how this works. Is the 715th Armoured Reconnaissance just one of it's kind like the 75th Army Ranger Regiment? Is it a company, battalion, regiment or division? I know weird, not asking about overall plot or direction but.... simple organisation.

It's fine.

Simply put, they are indeed a special division. The reason for the high platoon numbers is simply due to the size of the military. The IUN has a long history of military organizational reforms, and as Earth's population grew military units grew as a result; the nations of of humanity could simply afford to maintain larger armies; usually in response to eachother. Since humans are now united under one federal government that spans across five different stars and seven planets, the military has taken to disaster response and other measures, only now actually taking up an actual military role.

ONI ONI the 715th are, in addition to the overall larger size of the military, also a larger military entity than most; almost doubling the size of other battalions and military organizations of equal rank. The Armored Reconnaisance's purpose in this expedition is crucial, and therefore redundancy in the organization and a high skill-cap were specially structured and formulated by the Army High Command.

Now is this driven entirely by characters or is there a narrative behind it that you will provide?

Now is this driven entirely by characters or is there a narrative behind it that you will provide?

I would like to say both; there is a vague narrative plotline element with numerous different 'hidden' information blurbs, but if or how the unit earns the right to learn about this will depend on how the characters behave. I will try and coordinate the story through easy and comprehensive narrative devices such as NPC perspectives and orders from on high, but how these are handled will depend on the roleplayers.

I might also chime in and roleplay alongside you all; currently unsure if that'd go well with driving the story forwards. Characters will be able to advance in rank, and maintain different ranks at the start of the roleplay, so it will be their task to follow orders and coordinate the team, but I won't make it hard for them and help wherever I can if someone has trouble thinking of ideas for their posts.

Any advice is welcomed.

The roleplay will begin in orbit around Haven, aboard the INS (Interstellar Nations' Ship) Hecatoncheires. The Hecatoncheires is a Fire-Support Coordinator and Troop Transportation cruiser and is a part of the 1st Expeditionary Fleet. The backstory provided is meant to aid in character developement and different worldbuilding elements will be introduced if the roleplay garners enough support where I feel comfortable enough that the responsibilities that a military roleplay needs to survive have been met.

Great to see support for the idea so far. I know I can seem pretty cold, but so far I am glad.

The introduction I presented in the interest check takes inspiration from the 9/11 attacks in New York, and is supposed to garner the same emotion from the character as those experienced by US soldiers in response to the terror bombings. Although in this case the culprit appears to be alien in nature.

I would like to say both; there is a vague narrative plotline element with numerous different 'hidden' information blurbs, but if or how the unit earns the right to learn about this will depend on how the characters behave. I will try and coordinate the story through easy and comprehensive narrative devices such as NPC perspectives and orders from on high, but how these are handled will depend on the roleplayers.

I might also chime in and roleplay alongside you all; currently unsure if that'd go well with driving the story forwards. Characters will be able to advance in rank, and maintain different ranks at the start of the roleplay, so it will be their task to follow orders and coordinate the team, but I won't make it hard for them and help wherever I can if someone has trouble thinking of ideas for their posts.

Any advice is welcomed.
Alright. Im in for it then. If i have any advice ill give it to u. No worri3s

Malphaestus Malphaestus Because I'm generally dense when it comes to military RPs but enjoy them very much, I was wondering if you could give me a quick run down of how the army is organized and how the army in this RP is going to be organized and how it functions

Malphaestus Malphaestus Because I'm generally dense when it comes to military RPs but enjoy them very much, I was wondering if you could give me a quick run down of how the army is organized and how the army in this RP is going to be organized and how it functions

Of course, and that's not a problem at all. I might as well do this for everyone who reads this as well.

The Interstellar Union of Nations has three main military branches; Air, Army, and Navy. On the modern battlefields of the roleplay, however, the branches are much more dynamic due to the introduction of interplanetary conflicts. We are members of the Interstellar Union's Army branch; apart of the second of three taskforces deployed on the expeditionary retaliatory operation directed at Haven. The three taskforces, organized under Frontier General Michelle Aster and Admiral Alexander Korp in the form of the First Expeditionary Force. The 715th Armored Recon is under the direct command of the 2nd Taskforce under Major General Thomas Olofsen; acting as a special direct response reconnaisance force capable of rapid deployment and adaptability.

The 715th Armored Recon consists of roughly 3000 soldiers, making them capable of wide reconaissance. We are one of three special reconaissance forces; one affiliated with each Taskforce. Compare us to Marines/Rangers, I suppose. Though without the battletestedness and far more enthusiastic optimism towards how the war will probably go (considering so far we don't know anything about our enemy).

We'll be participating in the 15th Plutoon (roughly 45 people), and each character will most likely be assigned to their own fireteam (3-5 people). I'll be interacting with the player and guide the setting and atmosphere via radiocom and perspective writing from the eyes of various other 715th members as well as key figures. Plutoons are segmented into Squads (8 people) and Fireteams (3-5).

Dunno if that was clear enough.

Note: this info will be available if the roleplay gets off.

Give me Critique
For the record, if you have no interest in the idea but still want to help, just tell me what you think of my presentation and conceptualisation. I always welcome advice and critique as I always seek to improve.

General notice:

I'll be letting this interest check remain 'valid' for a weeks time: if I deem the idea hasn't garnered enough interest from people by that time, I'll be letting the roleplay be for the immediate future.

Malphaestus Malphaestus I've a question if a special attachee to the platoon would be alright. Like a sailor authorised to, /specialised in, direct(ing) the wider range of fire support in a combat theatre. I had a plan of playing a Forward Observer/Joint Terminal Attack Controller from the Navy, "Fleet Strategic Control Team", to assist primarily with the coordination and utilisation of supporting Ground (Like long range artillery), Air (CAS and the like) and Orbital assets. Though this could be countered with naval systems that make ground-side human observers redundant.

Below is just some critic.
First of all, I know it can be annoying to have someone be just that bit over analytical of things you've created. So I apologise if I come across as an overbearing nitpick.

I can appreciate the proposed changes but ultimately I'll have to suspend my disbelief. I couldn't see any reason to put so much strain and stress on a single company commander and his or her executive officer, and command team. 15 Platoons of 45 people within a single company (A single company right? They're not unconventionally numbered to be relative to their place within the overall battalion.) really not helpful, at least internally, especially when you're proposing these guys to be special operations. I would say that maintaining a more subdued number within these levels of organisation would be nothing but healthy for your roleplay.

I always welcome advice and critique as I always seek to improve.
I think it's a solid start. You gave the players a clear direction to follow and the setting is believable (although I am not versed in hard military stuff, but hey, I'm buying it), there is some basic conflict too. All thoughts I can give will be more of nitpicking than an actual critique.
That's just me, but what I am looking for in lore is the stuff not directly related to combat. The lives of the people, some hint of social issues. Even if the entire thing is going to take place on the battlefield, I still feel like that little bit of context can give birth to stronger characters.

I see you kinda went for it with a pretty strong prologue, but the setting feels identical to modern life. Which is fiiine... I guess. As with most sci-fi roleplays (or novels, for that matter), why make it sci-fi if people still live the exact same lives? For the aesthetic?

Then again, if the point is just to try to imagine how interstellar warfare would look like, what you've got is more than enough. Once again, I don't know what you were trying to achieve so don't take it as a critique.

Malphaestus Malphaestus I've a question if a special attachee to the platoon would be alright. Like a sailor authorised to, /specialised in, direct(ing) the wider range of fire support in a combat theatre. I had a plan of playing a Forward Observer/Joint Terminal Attack Controller from the Navy, "Fleet Strategic Control Team", to assist primarily with the coordination and utilisation of supporting Ground (Like long range artillery), Air (CAS and the like) and Orbital assets. Though this could be countered with naval systems that make ground-side human observers redundant.

Below is just some critic.
First of all, I know it can be annoying to have someone be just that bit over analytical of things you've created. So I apologise if I come across as an overbearing nitpick.
I can appreciate the proposed changes but ultimately I'll have to suspend my disbelief. I couldn't see any reason to put so much strain and stress on a single company commander and his or her executive officer, and command team. 15 Platoons of 45 people within a single company (A single company right? They're not unconventionally numbered to be relative to their place within the overall battalion.) really not helpful, at least internally, especially when you're proposing these guys to be special operations. I would say that maintaining a more subdued number within these levels of organisation would be nothing but healthy for your roleplay.

Your point is taken. Whilst the idea is solid from a thematic standpoint, most fire coordination assets are automated through a fleet-wide cloud-based AI matrix. That being said, there might be opportunities in the story where ALADIN, the AI, will prove to be... Well, that might be a spoiler. Your idea is solid, I don't have an interest in unnecessarily limiting those with good ideas just because I might not have expected it.

I think it's a solid start. You gave the players a clear direction to follow and the setting is believable (although I am not versed in hard military stuff, but hey, I'm buying it), there is some basic conflict too. All thoughts I can give will be more of nitpicking than an actual critique.
That's just me, but what I am looking for in lore is the stuff not directly related to combat. The lives of the people, some hint of social issues. Even if the entire thing is going to take place on the battlefield, I still feel like that little bit of context can give birth to stronger characters.

I see you kinda went for it with a pretty strong prologue, but the setting feels identical to modern life. Which is fiiine... I guess. As with most sci-fi roleplays (or novels, for that matter), why make it sci-fi if people still live the exact same lives? For the aesthetic?

Then again, if the point is just to try to imagine how interstellar warfare would look like, what you've got is more than enough. Once again, I don't know what you were trying to achieve so don't take it as a critique.

Don't worry, plenty of information will be provided about the Interstellar Union of Nations if it gets to that point.

Most of my creative freedom is directed towards the battlefield and imagining how technology might advance in the future, as well as trying to make the environment that we might experience would be unique.

Last edited:
By the by, the 715th won't be the only elite asset available to the IUN's first expeditionary force. There is the 1st Dropshock Unit as well, an elite rapid response force specialized in emergency search and rescue and rapid evacuation. It is a unit under the IUN Navy's command, comparable to the US's Navy Seals mixed with the Israeli Unit 669.

We'll probably end up meeting them at one point or another.

Can I have a tl;dr please??~ :3 *puppy eyes*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back