• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dragon Heist

Phira glances back down at the drawing for a moment in concern. "If we are only looking for one man, mister Volo's friend, then who is this second figure? That is somewhat concerning. Thank you for your help, mr xoblob."

Cassar fluffs his feathers a bit and makes a slight dream-like sound when he sees the picture. "That's definitely something important, thanks Mr. Xoblob." He tilts his head to the side slightly and pauses, "But, what happened to you that's so bad you would rather forget your old life completely? I know it's painful, but Lox at least deserves to know."

Xoblob shivers. "Rufford was supposed to be hidden away, safe from harm. And I..." His hands fly back up to cover his face. "... I exposed it to the world." A muffled sob forces its way through his fingers. "I found a woman one day, injured in one of our traps. I helped her escape - it was the right thing to do. And I made sure she didn't follow me - I really did. But..." Another sob. "... Somehow she found her way to the town anyway. I was so ashamed for putting the whole town in peril. And everyone was so angry. I left Rufford that night and haven't ever returned. Seeing young Lox here brought it all back. And I was only trying to help..."

By the time he started crying again I was on my way out the door. I never had the patience for people like him, ones that waved their emotions everywhere. Someday he'd get that people don't care about you, only what you can do for them. I had left two silver on the counter for the tie, I was many things but I wasn't a thief.
It was still raining outside, it always rained when you had somewhere to be. The others would catch up, until then I headed toward the Skeward Dragon. I needed a drink.

"Thank you Xoblob. You've been very helpful. I will be back later this week with the information that I promised you so that you can grow your business. Do you know if the Zhents have any warehouses in the area? I won't tell anyone how we found the location. I thank you for the perfume and look forward to doing a lot more business with you." Ny then turns and heads out of the store and back into the damp and rain. "By the nine hells, couldn't the bleeding rain slack off while we were inside? Would that really be asking too much? So can't wait till I reach Dad's mastery level of magic....this sh** is getting old."

Cassar starts to follow Matches and Ny out of the shop, but he pauses for a second. He can't just leave Gimble crying there, even if they have a job to do. He sighs and turns back to Gimble, saying the only thing he really has on his mind. "Mr. Xoblob, er, Gimble. I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I think I would have done the same thing in your position, back in Rufford. Thanks for your help, and the key."
With that, he leaves the store after Ny and Matches.

Phira turns awkwardly, giving a little wave to Xoblob/Gimble before limping out onto the street after the others, leaning against the wall. "Well, that was an informative stop! And a very, uh, interesting person. Where to next?"

Lox just sat there, face red in anger as the coward sniveled and answered their questions. But the moment Gimble mentioned that he was the one who had led the woman to Rufford, accidental or not, the redness began to slowly fade from his face, and Lox actually took a step back. "Y-you? You were the reason the woman showed up?" Lox just stood there staring at Gimble for a few minutes, breathing heavily. "Gimble...that means you're actually the reason I'm here. I had never known anything more than Rufford for so many years, until that woman fell into our midst. Everyone refused to let my family treat her, and cast her back out into the wilderness, and then anyone I asked about this woman -- all I got was the same lies they had been telling me for my whole life."

Lox actually laughs in disbelief. "I can't believe, after all this secrecy you had about being from Rufford, I actually should be thanking you for freeing my from that, that prison. I have seen so many wonderful, incredible things since I've left that place, and if it weren't for you, I would still have no idea that any of it even existed." Lox falls silent as he realizes just how wrong he's been about Gimble. He's not some kind of monster, or hiding some terrible secret -- he just wanted to forget, and Lox had made that memory fresh once more. Lox slips out a gold and leaves it on the counter in front of Gimble, then turns to head towards the door, speaking over his shoulder as he left. "I'm sorry to have ruined your day, Gim -- Xoblob. I wish you the best of luck with your endeavors."

Lox hears a weak "thank you" and the muffled click of a lock through the door as Xoblob closes it behind the group.

Through the rain, the sign to the Skewered Dragon continues its feeble attack against the external tavern wall. Under it, Matches pushes open the heavy wooden door of the alehouse, letting out a haze of smoke and brightening the poorly illuminated street a notch.

Unlike the eclectic mix of people in the Yawning Portal, the regulars here seem to be mostly dock workers dressed in dark-colored, heavy work clothes. The rumble of voices inside drops to a murmur and many heads turn as the investigators enter.

Ny enters the bar area and goes to the bar. He grabs three beers, sliding coins across the bar. He looks around the bar to see how busy it is and how many people are close by and that could potentially overhear some of the conversation if he asked anything of the bartender.

Losing interest in the newcomers, the tavern's clientele turn back to their own beer and business. The barkeep, a thick-set human in a dirty vest (which may once have been white but now displays the bar's menu of food and drink in filthy smears), pours three tankards of ale for Ny'Veph and takes his payment with a grunt.

A couple of stevedores sit hunched in conversation at one end of the bar but, except for the pools of stale beer and sodden towels that lay on its surface, it is otherwise empty. A hushed conversation with the barman would likely not be overheard.

"Hey Cassar, Come here and grab these beers!" Ny yells across the bar. He pulls up closer to the bar and places a couple of silver pieces on the counter along with a gold piece. After taking a few drinks of the beer, he looks over at the bartender, making sure that the bartender saw the money and quietly began talking about the last few nights.

Another day, another shitty dive bar. Better watch ourselves in here, this close the docks you never know what you're dealing with. Hair was still drenched from the rain, have to take care of that.

I lit up a smoke and made my way to the bartender, people like him saw everything. Ny played it right, coin gets people talking. Stools were wobly, but that didn't matter in places like this. "Hey bartender, whiskey and a minute of your time."

The barkeep slides the money into his hand and puts it away below the bar. He listens to Ny'Veph in silence for a few minutes before interrupting. "That bush you're beatin' around? It's still lookin' pretty fresh, no leaves out of place, you know?" He raises both eyebrows. "I'm happy to take your money but if there's somethin' you want to know, you gonna have to spit it out. I'll come back in a minute, but right now there's other customers I gotta serve." And he nods towards Matches.

He slides down the bar and reaches for a bottle and a small, smeared glass. Pouring a shot for Matches he says "Sorry mate but you're gonna have to wait in line, me ear's being bent by that fella. And he's paying..." He tilts his head towards Ny'Veph, then holds out his hand. "That'll be four copper."

Ny grins at having beaten Matches to the punch for once. The whiskey would help warm up Matches for the next part of the discussion in the event things didnt go well. When the barkeep came back Ny cut straight to the chase and asked about the night Volo and his colorful friend came out. Ordering another beer helped to to forget about the rain and keep the barkeep close to ask questions of in between getting various drinks for the dock workers. Hearing that Volo and his friend had been tossing money around like madmen didnt help. "Only saving grace was that they lost. If they had won the dock workers would have held a grudge as well as attracting all the thieves in the docks." He quietly muttered. " The introduction of Neverember's son was a new wrinkle. Also explained Xoblobs second man. So a new point to follow up with, assuming we can find the bleeding idiot. "Okay our client is an oblivious idiot and his friend isnt much better. Matches, your turn" craning his head towards the dock workers.

Cassar nods at Ny'Veph and grabs the drinks before settling down at one of the tables near the dockworkers. He may not be the best at talking to people, but he'd be damned if he didn't know how to read them. Bars are always home to interesting conversations, and if one of the regulars was able to see our missing person before he dissapeared? Fantastic, another lead to follow.

Thank you Tana, you taught me everything I know. Sort of. She's a brilliant alchemist, but Cassar had no clue how she lasted 70 years before she found him. She's always ready to give everything to the first charlatan she finds, regardless of how absurd their story or product is. And she never learned how to cook, but that's another matter.

One of the tables near where Cassar was sitting was playing host to a small group of locals, clearly deeper in their cups than the rest of the establishment. And louder for it. He was able to make out their conversation above the general murmur.

He watches as one of the dock workers reaches into the pocket of his heavy sealskin coat and, catching the eye of his companions, indicates the group of investigators with a nod of his head. "Reckon we should challenge these strangers to a game of walking bones?" He opens his fist to show his friends three dice. "I got a good few dragons out of those last ones."

Frowning, the docker opposite him advises "I'd keep that to yourself if you know what's good for you. All that cash those guys were flashing made them a target of the..." He looks around the room nervously and lowers his voice to a drunken whisper. "The Zhents."

Slamming the dice down on the table his friend scoffs. "There ain't no Zhents in here! Ain't seen that lot since they followed the rich guys out the other night."

After everything that happened with Gimble in the shop, Lox didn’t really feel like joining the others in the bar. He dashed from cover to cover as it rained, before finally finding a decent overhang to hide under. It had a good view of the entrance to the bar, so he’d be aware of anyone who came or left, but he just wanted some time to digest everything that had happened.

The gnome was pulled from his thoughts when he noticed the tall figure watching him from the entrance to the alley. He assumed the figure was watching him, but it really was hard to tell from the hood covering their face. Lox would normally have paid it no mind, but the way it was just standing there watching him, unmoving started to creep him out. Lox remembered the teachings of the hunters who taught him how to move silently and stalk their prey, and sometimes sitting completely still even when spotted could make you blend in. If that’s what this figure was doing, they were doing a horrible job of it, but Lox was afraid to make any sudden movements. He decided to just match the figure’s stoic behavior and just watched them unmoving, hiding in the shadows of the doorway.

Lox just sat there as the figure stands pretty still for several minutes. Then they raised a hand to their face, and swiped it across their eyes, as though to clear their vision from the rainwater dripping down from their hood. The world suddenly goes dark and Lox can no longer see the figure, the street or even his own body. However, he still hears the sound of the rain falling around him. Confused, he sits still for a few seconds, pretty sure he was blinking rapidly, but there was no change in his vision. Feeling his heart start to pound in what was becoming fear, the little gnome started feeling along the walls towards where he thought the entrance to the tavern was, and after a few moments, his vision returned. Blinking in surprise, he immediately looked back down the street, seeing the figure duck into an alley. Forgetting the sitting and watching, Lox quickly dashed and burst into the tavern, scanning briefly for Matches. Seeing him up at the bar with the others, he scooted around the other inhabitants of the bar, and reached up to tug at Matches sleeve. His voice was quiet but insistent, "Matches, you guys! We're being followed. Dark hooded figure out in one of the alleyways, did this weird thing that made the world go dark, but I saw him dart down a street. We could still catch him!"

Last edited:
"Look kid, just calm down. You don't want to go charging blindly around the city on a night like this." Matches knew how this went down, he'd had plenty of experience shadowing folks around the dirty streets. Part of the job description. This shadow had let himself be seen, which clearly marked him as either incompetent, arrogant or, most likely, both.

He knocks back his shot and sighs. "You don't chase a tail, you shake it. And if that doesn't work you can always put a knife to its throat to gently request it piss off."

Catching the eye of the barkeep he waves the empty glass and sets it down. As the glass is refilled he slides across another four copper and nods thanks.

Cassar nearly choked on his drink at the mention of the Zhents. Sure, Ny and matches already suspected them, but this was the first he's heard directly tying the Zhents to their missing man. He swallowed his drink and made his way over to the worker's table. "H-hi," He coughed to hide that stutter, and internally winced. How were Ny and Tana so good at this? "I couldn't help but overhear you all were interested in some gambling? We don't have too much, but we can spare some gold. Or something else, maybe, I know some things." Mostly related to alchemy, but still.

He took a deep breath to continue, but was interrupted by Lox's reappearance. "...Sorry, er, that's one of my friends. The gambling will have to wait. Bye!" He sprinted over to Lox's side, dodging chairs and staff along the way. "What happened? Are you okay?" He didn't even bother preening his ruffled feathers. This was too important.

Sunduako usually isn't such an absentminded worrywart, but on this day in particular, he's been a little bit less than completely focused. Just about all day, since he's started to make buddies with his new companions and tried to make a friend in a high place, he hasn't been able to get himself out of his own head. For a bit, it was fine, but then something happened not long after the big fight with all those nightmares that came up out of that pit. Maybe that's what it was, too; maybe that threat of death, something he hadn't had happen to him in a minute, was worrying him.

For some reason, he just could not stop worrying about every single thing, what the weather would be like, to if his clothes might get dirty, to if someone in the group might say something less-than-kind to him, to if he might be overcharged for a simple purchase, to if he'd get a few bad looks from the people in the streets, everything. It got to the point where all the visualizations of things that could be going wrong were overlapping over his eyes. Only based on a word or two he'd hear would he pop back in.
He was doing a good enough job of it not being noticeable, up to now, but he just had not said or done anything but follow the main crowd of people for a good hour or so.

He wasn't completely sure where he was, whether he'd actually bought that goblin mask or not, exactly what was happening to or with Mr. Xoblob, exactly what building they were all in, or what had just happened to Lox, but he suddenly had the feeling of having to really shake off all that haze that was going on in his head.
One of his new friends here could be hurt, and if he was, he wanted to be there to help out to the best of his ability. He was also keeping an eye out for anyone even vaguely suspicious that was about to walk in through the front door. While it usually wasn't especially common and not especially useful, he had a way of sniffing out people that were especially heavenly or hellish, and as soon as he got the sense that someone might fall into either of those camps, he was going to focus that really hard on them.
"Sorry, I've been somewhere else in my head the last few hours, I think maybe it might be a blood sugar thing." He reached into his clothes to pull a small pouch made of a higher quality than usual, which had in it, a few pieces of candied citrus fruits. It might have just been how tasty they were, but he was feeling better already.
"Can I offer you a few, Lox? Or a prayer for your body? Any scratches, bumps you've taken? Feeling unwell on the inside?"

Lox deflated a bit as Matches turned down the idea of chasing the figure down. He nodded as the scaled man spoke his words of wisdom, climbing up onto a chair with the group. "So...what do we do then? Just pretend he's not there for now?" Before he could get a response, the large birdman came running up to Lox, and he couldn't help but lean away from the large feathered man. He let out a squeak of fear as he toppled backwards out of the chair, quickly scrambling to his feet and readjusting his armor as he regained his composure. "Umm, err -- yes, I'm fine. All good in the hood." Lox curses to himself, frustrated for being weird around Cassar. "I mean -- there was a hooded figure in the alley. He was tailing us, but he ran off." Lox then waved off the candied fruits from Duck. "No, I'm ok thank you."

Matches opens his mouth to answer Lox but shuts it again when he disappears from sight. The misdirected energy of these people was wearing him down. Squeezing his eyes together he shakes his head violently to remove the lethargy and digs into a pocket to find a cigar.

Biting off the end of his new smoke, he holds it between his teeth as he searches for a receptacle into which to expectorate. Suddenly, the door behind him flies open, slamming against the wall with the sound of a small detonation. Startled, he regains his composure quickly before any of his companions notice. However, the cigar end is now lodged at the back of his throat...

A large, well muscled man enters the tavern through the open door, followed by a smaller sneering human male. They stride up to the bar and the larger man picks up an empty bottle, dropping it on the floor. It smashes, sending shards of glass in all directions. He lifts a second bottle into the air but stops when his companion raises a finger and beckons to the barman. A tattoo of an eye is clearly visible on the back of the shorter man's hand.

"I'm so sorry about my well-proportioned associate. He's a bit upset because he's lost some of his friends and unfortunately when he's angry he breaks things." He tuts and shakes his head ruefully. "He starts with bottles and glasses, but quickly moves onto furniture and then faces. I'd hate for that to happen here as I'm sure are you." He pauses for a few beats, letting the threat sink in. "His friends went to pay your local Zhents a visit. We know you let Zhents drink here but we're willing to overlook that if you just tell us where they operate from." Raising his eyebrows he waits for a response.

Last edited:
Ny looked up at the two individuals who had walked in and were obviously aching for a fight. Well, a fight and information. That makes two groups that want information. Gritting his teeth for a few seconds, He rotated his neck to the left and then right shoulder. Loosening up, he snuck a glance at Matches. Matches didn't put up with this type of iblith. Question is though? Who do I target first? The big lunk or the weasely snake who is next to him. And more importantly, how do I do it, without going to jail?

The barman places his large hands on the bar and leans heavily on them as he responds to the thinly veiled threats. "Look mate, I run a tavern here. I don't turn paying customers away and I don't pry into their business - because that would be bad for my business. I don't know where they operate from so I can't help you..."

Matches makes a fist and beats it against his chest as his face turns red then purple. Confused, the barman turns towards him, frowns and shakes his head slightly.

"That's the wrong answer, I'm afraid." The newcomer gives an apologetic shrug and nods towards his brutish companion. Raising his large arm he swings it down in an arc and launches the bottle. It sails through the air, hitting the mirror behind the bar which shatters into a thousand needle-sharp pieces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back