• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dragon Heist

The shop door opens with the tinkle of a small bell as the group push inside. A cloud of sickly-sweet, lavender-scented purple smoke escapes from the open doorway as they walk in.

Shelves rise from floor to ceiling and are lined with ornaments, trivialities and bric-a-brac. Each piece has been dyed a deep violet. Purple ceramic elephants, purple glass vials, purple feathers, purple masks, purple socks, purple toy boats, purple... You get the idea.

A middle-aged gnome with a shaven head and plum-colored robes stands behind a counter at the back of the store. As the door opens he jumps, as if not expecting visitors, and let's out an audible "Eek!" He chokes and coughs out a cloud of lavender smoke from the hookah in his hand and it swirls around the nine, lilac-painted eyes decorating his cheeks and bald pate.

Gathering himself he waves his hands through the fog in front of his face, squeaks "browse quickly, we're closing!" and disappears into a room behind the counter.

Last edited:
Coughing slightly from the cloud of purple that wafted towards them, Lox scanned the room quickly, raising an eyebrow at all of the purple themed items around. When he laid eyes on the gnome, Lox completely stopped in his tracks, mouth agape. That...that was Gimble Nackle Stumbleduck! He hadn’t seen Gimble in years, not since before the incident with the human girl. Before he could regain his composure, Gimble disappeared into the other room. Without even looking at the others, Lox murmured “I’ll be right back you guys, no need to wait for me...” and then he quietly stepped behind the counter, careful to avoid bumping into any artifacts, and stuck his head into the back room. He saw Gimble shuffling through boxes, currently unaware of Lox’s presence, and Lox took a few steps closer. “Gimble?...is that you? My gods it really is you, everyone thought you were dead! I guess you just escaped Rufford, just like me! What happened to you Gimble?!”

The purple-clad gnome jumps at Lox's questions and stares at him, wide-eyed, for a moment before shaking his head vigorously. "No, no, no. I don't know you. I'm Xoblob. This is my shop. See, it says it over the door." He nods and forces a smile. "Yes, go out and see for yourself." And he ushers Lox back out onto the shop floor and towards the door. Raising his voice so that everyone can hear him, he continues. "Yes, everyone go outside and see. Everyone out now."

"Good gnome and sir, your shop is simply divine. Your collection of items is truly and simply astounding. The color is so serene and tranquil and the pieces simply majestic. You truly have an impeccable eyes for merchandise, Master Xoblob you say?"

"Please Mister Xoblob, we were going to buy something. I help run a business, I understand how important customers are. Your store is very... interesting. Why is everything purple, though? Not that I mind! It's a lovely color!" He leans toward Matches and whispers, "Did you find anything?"

"Yes, Xoblob, yes! That's what I told your friend. He seems to have mistaken me for someone else... Bimble something?" He shrugs. Momentarily appeased, he waves towards the packed shelves and asks "anything take your fancy? Lots of very interesting and exclusive artefacts to be had."

Turning to Cassar he smiles. "You're clearly a color enthusiast. Ah, purple..." He sighs. "The color of royalty. Everything would be purple if it could. But it sometimes needs a helping hand. And that's me." He glances down at his hands and frowns a little as though surprised and confused at their presence. Then, "have you ever thought of dyeing your...?" He taps his throat "I think it would look amazing in plum."

Last edited:
Gimble's reaction to Lox took him completely off-guard, and he stumbled backwards in surprise as Gimble pushed him out of the back room. He just stood there staring at this gnome who claimed he wasn't Gimble, confused as to why he was denying Lox's claims. When Gimble purposely mispronounced his own name, Lox's eyebrows furrowed. "Gimble!" Lox corrected before turning to the others. "This man is Gimble Nackle Stumbleduck, he's from my village! He apparently changed his name to Xoblob for some reason and discovered he loved the color purple, but I'm positive this is him!" Lox crossed his arms and glared at the other gnome.

People change their name everyday; some of them because they get married some look for a fresh start; a select few change their name because their running. Running from something they did that pissed off the wrong people, people that hired scary people to do bad things.

I tried to let Lox handle it. To see how he acted in situations like this, you never know when you need another associate. I wonder how long it will take them to see if magic is at work, especially with this much eccentric behavior.

Either way, there might still be something useful in this shop, better take a look around while they are busy with their reunion.
The protege's are on the right track, not taking the easy out and just leaving. Potentially buying something will switch that fear in Gimbles eyes to dollar signs. Money always makes people the most co-operative.

Cassar's feathers fluff out, and he can feel a blush rising at the mention of dying his throat purple. Surely the gnome is just unaware what asking him to dye his throat implies, right? Thankfully bright orange skin hides the blush, and Cassar is fairly confident the strange gnome isn't aware of aaracokra body language or biology. He squawks involuntarily, "I can't!" He coughs, internally cursing his bluntness, "I, uh, sorry. It's a quirk of my clan, only women naturally have purple throats. And I don't particularly want to dye it." He shifts his wings and tries to smooth out his feathers, mostly in an attempt to hide his embarrassment. "So this shop... I've lived in Waterdeep for a few years, but never seen it. How long have you been open?"

Duck is just as confused as anyone else, as he's having trouble believing both people simultaneously.
Maybe... A look-alike. A doppelganger, in the whimsical sense. Just one of those people that looks a whole lot like you. Maybe gnomes have a limited pool of physical features. Maybe Lox isn't wearing his glasses and is going off a close approximation and voice...
I'm sure both could be honest...

"I don't mean to be contrarian or anything, Lox, and I don't doubt your honesty, but I'm feeling like it could be some kind of a mistake. I heard someone tell me once that there are 7 people on this planet that look, if not exactly like you, very much like you. I don't remember exactly what it was he said or how he said it. Hm." He says this in a lowered voice, but not so lowered that Mr. Xoblob wouldn't be able to hear it if he really tuned in his ear.
"A spooky idea, for sure." He sort of trails off, and starts to stride away, and towards the confusing shopkeep.
"You mentioning dyeing makes me wonder how my skin would look in a nice purple... That might be a bit too much of a dream, though I've never much drifted away from my current color scheme in clothing... Is there anything I might be able to afford in here on a... very modest salary, Mr. Xoblob? Even the services I do charge for, the payment is all by donation. Though I'm sure Our Lady Sune, being an admirer of all things beautiful, wouldn't mind me spending a bit of change on something pretty to wear, or place in one of her holy places." Duck's smile slowly grows wider and wider, unbeknownst to him. A subconscious change. revealing more and more teeth, and though very much unintentional, this particular kind of smile has been known to nudge a few people into a place that might be a bit more convenient for him. He just chalks it up to a big friendly face helping to grease the wheels of cooperation.

"Xoblob what matters to us is that you are here now and that your actions have brought us into your store. The past is exactly that, the past. Right now, we are interested in your goods and possible ways that we can help each other." Looking at the little man, who seemed eager for an out, an out of any sort. Having been in desperate situations in the past himself, any sort of lifeline was grasped at. Hoping that he was reading the little man correctly, he threw out the bait. "I'm very interested in several of your pieces, and I believe that they would do quite well in Neverwinter as well, where I have several contacts. Could possibly be quite lucrative for you" 'Not quite a lie, he had lived in Neverwinter for several years and did know quite a few people...even a merchant or three that might possibly be interested in some of the pieces that Xoblob had in shop...for a while... Now to see if he takes the lifeline and if we can pull some information out of here as well.'

Xoblob (or Gimble or whatever he was calling himself) was now completely surrounded and hemmed in by the group, most of whom towered above him. Along with Duck's well-meaning, but intimidating, sharp-toothed smile aimed in his direction he was clearly eager for the conversation to stay on purchasing rather than his identity. Seeing a small gap between the bodies he darts back behind his counter and pulls up a tray of three, slightly less trashy, but still very purple, items.

"I saw you looking at that mask." He says to Duck, careful not to look him in the eye, and gestures towards one of the shelves. It holds a goblin mask that would fit a child. For some reason it's been painted purple and has a loop of lilac string at the back to hold it in place. "That's quite a special thing, actually. If you put it on it and speak through its mouth your words come out in fluent goblin! And its a bargain at only ten gold pieces!"

"And..."
he points at the tray of objects with a flourish, making sure that he has everyone's attention. "...here are some more beautiful things that have, ahem, special properties, in which discerning gentlemen like yourselves may be interested. Also ten gold pieces each. This here..." he points to a finger-length of purple candle, "...stays lit when wet, even when completely underwater!"

He picks up a purple key and holds it out for inspection. "If you ever need to open a lock but have, ah, lost the key..." the gnome taps the side of his nose, knowingly, "...there's a chance that this key will unlock it for you.

"And finally,"
he says, picking up a small glass vial containing a lilac liquid, "if you anoint yourself with this perfume, you will become much more charming for..." he thinks for a couple of beats, "...about an hour."

Phira looks around with careful eyes, somewhat nervous. She stays back near the wall, glancing around the space with large eyes as she listens to him describe the objects. "The candle could be helpful?" she points out softly. "or the mask, I suppose, if we managed to run into more goblins?"

Frustrated that this damn gnome wouldn't admit who he was, Lox was about ready to strangle Gimble until he admitted it, but luckily his companions moved the conversation to a less strangley topic. Plus, it was also possible that Gimble was in hiding from someone bad or had another good reason to cover up who he really was. 'Look at me, only a short time with these folks and they already got me thinking like a detective.' Lox kept his mouth shut and drifted towards the back of the group, uninterested in the minor magical items that were being peddled. He instead browsed the stock, all the while keeping an eye out for anything from Rufford or any sign of why Gimble might be keeping his mouth shut.

Cassar glances between his companions, letting his nerves finally settle a bit. That key could be very helpful, especially since they're looking for a missing person. But then he could be suspected of theft, if anyone were to go to Xoblob. But still, Matches was an investigator, he wouldn't lead them awry, would he?
"I think I'll take the key, Mr. Xoblob, Thank you. You said 10 gold, right?" Cassar pulls out a small pouch and starts counting out coins. "I am sorry about my little, or, outburst earlier, you just caught me off guard. Hopefully our patronage can make up for it." He tilts his head slightly at Xoblob, hoping the gnome would interpret it as a smile.

Smiling at the small man, Ny stepped up, and headed to the counter. "Sir, you are indeed a genius and savvy businessman. The perfume, can come in quite handy in future dealings...not that you would ever know anything about that. As one businessman to another, I greatly appreciate your discretion and skill. Seriously though, let me know if you wish to expand to Neverwinter as well." Giving the shop owner a wink and handing over the ten gold in a small stack and dropping them in his hand. "Shrewd and savvy I say. I must say even the site for your shop is perfect in that it allows you to watch potential shoppers at all times of the day. Keeping you finger on the pulse of the shoppers and this city. Why, I bet you see some pretty interesting things."

Hopping from one foot to the other Xoblob grins, takes the proffered gold and hands the key to Cassar and the perfume bottle to Ny'veph. "Oh yes! Old Xoblob sees everything that goes on outside." And he nods, knowingly.

Turning to Phira he grins "are you taking that mask? It could be just the thing to get you out of a nasty situation... Goblins can be really friendly, if you make an effort to get to know them."

Lox meandered around the shop as his companions talked with Gimble, scanning the merchandise to try and find something from Rufford. It was a fruitless endeavor however, just shelves of purple nick nacks. Lox glanced at Gimble; he seemed to be sufficiently preoccupied. He felt the blood pumping in his ears as he was about to do something that he knew was wrong, but he just had to know. Ducking down real low, Lox snuck past the others, getting into the back room seemingly unnoticed. He started to quietly rummage through all of the boxes, making sure to replace everything back in the same order that he found it, hoping that Gimble wouldn’t realize he went through his stuff.

Finally, at the bottom of one of the crates Lox found a few very familiar sketches — It was Rufford! He would recognize old Anson’s hut anywhere. Behind this sketch, he found a few sketches of the mysterious woman who wandered into their midst all that time ago. The pounding in his ears got louder as he realizes he finally found his proof. He had to admit, there was a small part of him that was thinking that he might have been mistaken and he was just harassing some poor shop owner, but this proved it.

As these thoughts were running through his head, there is a loud bang as Gimble throws open the door to the back room, exposing Lox with a sheath of sketches in his hands. Gimble screamed “Get OUT!” and reached behind him to grab a short sword from under the counter, pointing it at Lox. Initially, Lox had jumped from the loud noise and surprise, but that quickly turned to anger. Holding up the sketches, face and ears bright red with anger, Lox ignored the shortsword and shouted right back at Gimble, “I KNEW IT! You filthy purple liar, GIMBLE.” Lox laid emphasis on the gnome’s true name.

"Well this could have gone better." Nox had moved fast enough, and stayed professional before the yelling started. However I wasn't about to let this short purple obsessed prick guy him for catching him in a lie. "Sit that blade down before you get fucking hurt." The fire in my hand didn't burn, it was like ice, cool and with purpose. The gnome was smart, he lowered his weapon.
"Smart move, now answer his questions and how much is this tie?" It wasn't fancy but after the tavern I could use a new one.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, please don't hurt me!" Xoblob squeaks, dropping the sword with a clang. Seeing Lox holding up the sketches of Rufford, he covers his face with his hands and sobs. "It's true, I am the Gimble you knew from Rufford, but I've tried to put that life behind me and start afresh here in Waterdeep. When I saw you come into the shop, all the bad memories came flooding back." He lets out a wail and drops to his knees.

"P please, if you want that t t tie just take it, it's yours." He stammers.

"Xoblob," pretending to ignore the comments and the revelation. "Assist us, with a small matter, and your secret is safe with us. Personally, I think Lox would like to talk to you quietly and find out about the past that you are both familiar with. Our need is slightly more pressing and much more current." Ny said quietly to help reassure the frustrated and broken down gnome. "We need to know about 2-4 days ago, in the evening. We know that Volo and a good friend of his," shuddering about having to describe the clothing, he continued "he was wearing a yellow shirt and black pants. He was at a bar near here for a couple of hours. Have you seen him, or know anything about it."

Holding up his hand, the drow looked the gnome in the eye and smiled in a less than pleasant manner. "Please understand. Your secrets are dependent on talking to us now. If I leave this place of business, instead of honestly trying to help you generate future business as I have tried to engage you in, I will spread your name throughout all of Waterdeep. Both of them. And I'll make sure that the story changes every time so that every criminal and law enforcement group in the city knows that you are double and triple dealing each and every one of them. Personally, I like you, I really do. You will always be Xoblob the Mad to me. Help me and I will be one of your best friends and work to grow your business tenfold or greater. Cross me, even this once, and I will see you and everything dear to you, turned to ash and dust in the wind. So talk to us."

"Yes, I ... I understand." Xoblob stutters, head bowed. "I don't know anyone called Volo, but ..." He pauses, frowning at the ground, then nods slowly. "Yes, I think I did see some people like that. Hang on." He pushes into the back room, careful not to look Lox in the eye or brush against him in the narrow space. Picking up one of the nearer piles of paper, he leafs through it quickly then slides out a single sheet. "Could one of these be him? I ... I'm sorry I didn't have any yellow paint." He holds out the sheet to Ny'Veph. On it there's a sketch of two well-dressed human men being grabbed and attacked in the street outside. Both men are wearing very dark trousers and light shirts. It's roughly done, as if drawn in a hurry and none of the faces are clear, but the style of clothes matches that described by Volo.

Looks like I was going to get a free sword too; sure as hell wasn't going to leave it where he would get his hands on it again if he felt brave.
I couldn't help but raise an eyebrow at Ny, the kid had come so far from the sniveling little kid I first met. He had grown up and picked up the game faster then most, you have to when everyone treats you like shit though. The tie was a nice touch, part of me felt bad getting it this way, so I'd have to make sure to pay the man on my way out. I wasn't about to step on the kids toes but, this was how good cop bad cop worked, you had to keep the suspect off balance enough to keep agreeing and not catch onto what was happening.
"You see him leave Gimble? or anything else that night? Get the rest of your sketches you did, and move your ass before I set it on fire." I wasn't actually going to set him on fire, he didn't need to know that though.

The tie was elvish, they made some really nice silk for people who never wore ties.

Ny looked at the drawings. 'Perfect, now to see what other information he has in that little brain of his. I rather not have to visit 25 different bars in the district or the vicinity of here to catch the faintest whiff of a clue. Have to love the reputation of the Drow. Mother would be appalled at my behavior, however, I've watched her put pressure on poachers. The last part of it though came from Matches. Man can be the most caring person to a kid who was hurt or injured and be an utter monster to the criminal who did it.'

'I will have to send a note to father and some of his business contacts for Neverwinter. He'll know who to put me in touch with to get the business moving. Of course, I'll have to get a 5% finder's fee and then a residual of the profits for the trade. This will help offset my fees and dues to the Alchemist's school.'

"Er, they all came out of the Skewered Dragon and the well-dressed guys got dragged off that way." He gestures back up the street the way you came. "And I'm sure the attackers were Zhents... Zhentarim, you know? They had..." He traces an 'S' shape in the air with his finger. "... Snake tattoos... With wings." He looks up, imploringly at Matches. "That's all I know, I swear."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back