• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dragon Heist

Phira blinks, realizing that she hasn't introduced herself either. "Hi, I'm Phira. I'm a cleric of Deneir. It's very nice to meet you all." The firbolg is tall, though it's hard to tell how tall when she's sitting, and chubby, with pale almost-green skin and soft bluish eyes. "It's nice to meet you, Sunduako. Where are you from? It doesn't sound like you are from here. so...about working with you...?"

A wry smile appears on Durnan's face. "I certainly know of a way to make good money." And he points the Gnome to the central well. "Down there are treasures you can only dream of. Perhaps even the item you seek. However," his face grows serious, "without weapons and defences imbued with strong magics and friends that have your back, you won't survive an hour in that place. I've watched too many greedy, ill-prepared fools throw their lives away over the years. Don't be the next one."

With that, Durnan stands up straight, turns away and asks loudly: "Who's waiting?"

Cromley opens his mouth to answer Malone, but is interrupted by the odd couple who seem intent on gatecrashing this little party. He frowns at Phira and Duck. "We were 'aving a private conversation." Then, shrugging, he holds up his hands: "But it's up to Mr. Malone here if he wants any help.

"He..."
he continues. Whatever he says next, though, is drowned out by a loud shout from nearby. A human man is standing on a chair and screaming obscenities in the face of a seven-foot-tall half-orc. The man's bald head is covered in eye-shaped tattoos which seem to glow as his skin reddens with emotion. The half-orc just smiles back, showing off her curved tusks. Then, with surprising speed she delivers an uppercut which lifts the man off his feet and sends him sailing into the air.

He lands, hard, on Saeth's table, sending half-empty beer mugs and remnants of food flying. With a triumphant roar, his assailant leaps forward and wraps her massive hands around his throat. A crowd of spectators begins to form around the group and four other shaven headed men rush forward and try to pull the monster off their friend.

Seeing the firbolg and tiefling come over and start talking as the third person runs off, Ny qietly listens, taking a sip of the bitter beer. "I'm Ny'veph. Friends call me Ny. Pleased to meet you both. That's 'Matches', and Cassar." Ny's eyes go large at the sight of a human on a chair berating a half-orc with some damn good insults. He's even more surprised that the half-orc hasnt taken his blocknoff yet with the last few. He partly turns his focus by to Phira. "Pleasure to meet you. Havent seen any of your kind for over ten years."
As he finishesbsaying this the foul mouthed human comes flying and crashes through their table. Looking sadly at his now shattered mug on the table and the lunch under the human, he's starting to get annoyed. 'The human had it coming, but couldn't they have let me finish my lunch? The half-orc was justified. Just cause we are half-breeds does t mean we are stupid or going to put up with silly sh...' "And here we go," Seeing the human's friends rushing up to help their fallen friend. "Guys stay out of it. Five on one isnt fair! Let them finish it!!"
'I really hope what I think is about to happen doesn't.' Ny starts pulling his arcane energy together and prepares spells as he has dealt with mob mentality before, especially prejudiced mob mentality.

Phira watches intently before sighing, reaching behind the chair and grabbing two wooden rod sort of things with a leather section for her to loop her forearms through. She does, shakily hauling herself up and slipping her forearm shield on one side, leaning heavily on her sticks as she raises a palm towards them, ready to cast a spell if she needed to.

Malone raised the tankard to his lips, and ended up with it's contents all down his front.
"For fucks sake!" Kicking himself backward from the table, he rose to his feel. The anger boiling inside of him, *just like your forefathers* a voice whispered in the back of his mind. Fire flared in front of him, forming the visage of the beast inside him. "You fucks spilled my drink, piss off before I really get angry!"

The
gravel of his voice got the reaction he wanted, they scurried away like mice. Resounding on the other newcomers, "you want to stay and chat, after shoving yourself into another man's buisness? You're buying." Shifting his chair back into position, he mutters a spell the clean his front. Lighting a smoke he murmers under his breath, "fucking foreigners, ruining a man's dinner."

Phira tries to engage Duck in some conversation and he's about to respond, but then, whoosh, human comes flying into the table after shouting a minute. The half orc follows her prey, and some people run to her to pull her off of him, which, believing the best of people, thinks that they're just trying to break up the fight, which he tries to join in on, but he doesn't especially help. If the half-orc did end up getting ganged up on, he absolutely would have helped protect her, but fortunately for everyone, the grizzled dragonoid at the table scares everyone off.

Then, when he says the two in Duck's current duo need to buy drinks, he goes off to the bar and asks the bartender for a few drinks for everyone who'd already had one, which he works with the bartender to try to determine what everyone would want. Then, because the scariest of them is probably still fuming, and particularly mad about his meal, tries to buy the closest thing to a full leg of lamb.

Phira gives a sharp noise, whacking one of her sticks against the table before tucking it back under her forearm and hobbling to the table again, getting herself in a chair before turning to him. "This is a city of travelers. I would not suggest using language like that." She glances at the tiefling and, seeing him go to get drinks, she turns her attention to studying the half-elf again. She doesn't speak directly to him, but she spends another moment watching him before she glances at his table mates and says "So...we were speaking of a job?"

Last edited:
Cassar stands behind Matches and beats his wings towards the man, making a deep booming deep in his throat. He glares at them, tilting his beak downwards to accentuate its size.

He visibly deflates when the men return to their table, and stares sadly at the sausages on the floor. He makes a soft chirp that sounds quite a bit like a whine. "Those were really good, too."

Lox thanks Durnan and goes back to sipping his drink. He scratches his scruffy beard as he thinks, unsure if Durban’s suggestion would be the fastest way to make the money he would need. On one hand, he could quickly steal and pawn items, but he was never keen on such actions. On the other hand, while it might be scary to surround himself with worthy adventurers, it would be a step in the right direction in forming a solid network of connections with which he could achieve his goal.

The gnome was jolted out of his thoughts by the sound of a scuffle behind him, and Lox turned just in time to see the table and drinks go flying. Just as suddenly though, the fight was broken up and Lox observed a winged tiefling walk up to the bar to replenish the shattered drinks. Realizing this could be his chance, he leaned over towards the tiefling, calling out to Durnan. “These drinks are on me!” Then, turning to the tiefling himself, “Lots of spilled drinks over there, figured you could use a hand bringing them over. The name’s Lox, how you doin’?” Lox holds out his small gnomish hand to shake.

Ny does a double take as the Tiefling...'Duck' came back with a gnome helper. Taking one of the drinks from the gnome, Ny quirked an eyebrow at the tiefling, as if to say "Who's your little friend? I didn't see him before when you were talking to us." Ny wondered how Matches would take another 'helper' on the job, that they still hadn't heard about since the interruptions. While he was usually the calm one between him and Matches, he was getting a tad impatient as well.

'Hrm, will probably go and talk to the half-orc as well. Make sure everything is okay. I know what it is like to be picked on for being different or being thought of as stupid. Seemed like a decent sort. I mean she didn't rip the lout's head off.'

The stones on this dam firbog...

"Alright honey, listen up because this is the way Waterdeep works. We were having a lovely private conversation about OUR future. Not yours, you barge over here demanding to know what's going on, which is none of your buisness. This is my contact, my job, my table. I told your friend what it takes to potentially get a seat at this table, an introduction. They listened, and you sit here like a bump telling me how things work in my town."

Taking a long pull from the still lit cigar, he breathes smoke into her face from his nostrils. "Can anyone here vouch for you? Maybe you are one of Xanathars; maybe you work for the Zents; maybe you are in the employ of a local cult. Just who the fuck do you think you are little girl and why do you think you can invite yourself to my table?"

His blood is still up from the Half-orc landing on the table, he's spoiling for a fight.

Phira snorts. "Perhaps, if you wish for conversations to be private, you should not have them in the middle of a bar where anyone can hear you? Not to mention the other one is already getting you a drink and it does not take three people to do so." She stands, leaning on her crutches for a painful moment. "Little?" The very large firbolg glares down for a moment. "Who are you calling little. You do not scare me. This is everyone's town not just yours. You're not king or .. whatever this town has. At least, since you're sitting in a bar without guard, I presume you are not. I am sorry about your drink but you are not...better than us. We are all just trying to make money here, I assume."

Cassar fluffs up, and he starts nervously fixing his feathers again. He looks desperately between Phira and Matches, "Matches, please, it's not worth it. We avoided one fight today, we shouldn't start another."

Shaking his head, "I suppose they don't have manners where you come from? Maybe they have ears, the tiefling has bought their way to an interview. You have not, so tell me why the hell you deserve to be part of this conversation."

Smirking at Cassar, "take another look at that piece of paper in your hand kid. I've not broken the law, and asked this person to leave numerous times. They are dangerously close to harassment."
His stare is cold and reptilian, he knows he's right. That many years with the watch teaches you exactly where the line is and how to get as close as you can without crossing it.

Cassar stands up and slams his hands down on the table, beating his wings for extra effect as he glares at Matches, "That's Enough! Matches, I read that paper and you may be right, but I'm not naive. Phira wasn't originally in on the conversation, but you aren't exactly making a great case for yourself, so can you both please sit down and explain yourselves before this escalates any further?"

Trying to carefully, calm Cassar down, Ny calmly talks to the monk. "Easy there, Cassar. Don't need you to break the table or be accused of starting fight." Looking over at Matches, contact, he then continued. "Can we quickly agree that, depending on the 'job' that Mr. Cromley has information on, is how many people we will need for the job? I can't imagine Mr. Cromley, has an easy job or one that can be done quickly." Pausing to mutter to himself "Dad, warned me that he can be a hothead, but he's fiercely loyal if he decides you're worth the effort. Cromley better have a damn good job waiting for us."

Phira takes a careful step back, grimacing slightly. "I. Apologize?" Their voice is tight with concern as they raise their hands as best they can while still leaning. "I. am sorry for intruding on your conversation but I will not apologize for protesting the way you are speaking to me, sir. I don't...I am not a child. I am not useless. I am a cleric of the god Deneir, the god of knowledge. And Scholars. And I am strong." They dip their head to touch their chin to the holy symbol that hangs around their neck as they take a few careful steps backward, easing themself back into their chair and resting the forearm crutches on their lap.

Calmly Matches Malone stood up. He crossed the room to where Durnan was standing behind the bar. "The usual" taking the glass of amber liquid, he downed it in one go. Setting it down again, he let out a breath...

kids these days, no respect how we do things. I could probably do without the Firbogs attitude, she's got stones though. The kids are in, that's a given. Don't know the tiefling, but they seem to respect how things are done. Good they'll live longer that way. Too many kids end up dead because they don't know when to quit. Alright enough of your inner monologue shit Malone, get the big boy pants on and get back in there.

He makes his way back to the table, taking his drink from the two newcomers before he begins in a calm even tone. His presence commands the situation.

"Alright so this is how things are, this is my job. My contact, means my job. If you want in, then you answer the questions asked of you. For those that don't truly know where you are, this is the Yawning Portal. If you think there are not at least half a dozen eyes watching you, you are wrong."

Taking a deep sigh, practiced breathing to keep himself calm before continuing, "I deal with people I know for that very reason. I was on the watch longer then most of you have been alive, I've seen the evil in people's hearts. Now you all seem to think you should be involved with this, all I will say is that remains to be seen. These two..." he jerks him thumb toward his accomplices, "...I trust. The rest of you I don't know, you are on probation. I ask you to leave at any time, because I don't like some of your answers or questions, do it. Now it appears we have a few minutes before our contact gets here... Any questions?"

"Phira, I believe?" Pulling out a chair for the Firbolg, "Please as the representative of Deneir, sit." He then grabs the chairs from their now departed table and places them around the table. Taking one of the beers that Duck brought back, he hands it over to Matches. He then catches one of the waitresses and politely asks for another cheese and meat platter. He knows that it will tap some of the funds, but if the job is as good as he is thinking, it'll be good. Pausing to breathe deeply....' Assuming I can keep them from killing each other....'

Phira dips their head, slumping down next to the other figure with a grateful dip of their head. "Yes, my name is Phira. I'm sorry, I don't believe I heard your name? It is...nice to meet you, all of you." A chittering noise from their bag draws their attention and they sigh, reaching carefully into the already-open bag and lifting out a beautiful falcon, who perches on their knee and looks around with sharp eyes.

Cassar sighs, and sits back down, grabbing a drink while giving Ny a quick thank you nod. He perks up and chirps a bit when he sees the falcon.

"I had started to do introductions when our conversation was interrupted by the excitement of the recent scuffle. I'm Ny'veph Sivaronee. I'm an alchemist, hoping to get on with the Supreme Order of Waterdeep." Pausing to admire the falcon, he gently coos and trills at the creature. "Gorgeous friend you have there, Ms. Phira." Seeing that everyone was seated, and the tray of food is delivered, he motions to the others to partake and then looks at Mr. Cromley. "Mr. Cromley, you were starting to explain to Matches, more of the job?"

earlier, before the second disagreement...

"
Oh, that's awfully kind of you!" He flashes one of his usual wild-toothed smiles. "Yes, you've noticed the spoils of that conflict. You've got much better eyes than I do. I don't think I'd be able to see that until I'm maybe 20 feet away. And why yes, I don't have especially much experience carrying drinks, which it looks like you've divined. People of my cloth don't spend especially much time drinking from tankards."

He mulls over the name for a quick moment, committing it to memory, "Lox... That's a great name for such a great soul! I'm doing spectacular today, thanks for the inquiry! That's not my name, of course, that wouldn't fit on a birth certificate; I'm Sunduako, Brother Zeal to the brothers and sisters, Duck or Ducky to just about everyone else who thinks my name's a bit of a pain to say each time." He gives a giggle while finishing his sentence and reaching out his hand for a spirited two-handed shake. He's definitely not very particular about what people call him. "I've had someone call me 'big red' a few times too, though, so if you're especially attached to that, feel free. Anyways, nice to formally meet you. Though I'm afraid after I introduce you too everyone at that table," he lowers his voice a bit," I'm going to need to come back and try to order some big meal for the crankiest one at the table. I won't judge him for it, though, Mother Superior always said that she wasn't her usual self between meals."

He turns to the bartender before making his way back,"I'm not entirely sure what our," drops his voice again, "slightly scaly friend over there is going to want to drink so I'll refer him to you, but it looks like it's on my new best friend Lox's dime." Then, with the help of said new best friend, he manages to get back as many drinks as would be necessary for everyone at the table minus one, he directs his look and speech at Matches, with a gesture of his arm to show everyone exactly where he's looking, "I didn't pick up your name, or drink," and anticipating an issue, quickly finishes his statement in the same breath, "but before you get too mad, whatever you want to drink is covered, I just didn't want to get you some kind of subpar drink and pouring salt insults onto this small wound of a bad introduction. I hope you understand where I'm coming from."

When Ny inquires, he responds, his facial and vocal tones turning to a soft scold, "Friend, not to be presumptuous, but I think we'd both understand best not to insult a person's physical appearance! In fact, one of my best friends horribly loses her temper when her size is brought up as some kind of negative. In any case, this is Lox, we just met at the actual bar, he asked if I needed help carrying drinks and offered to pay for all of our drinks. I gladly took the offer, though I'm still planning on buying a good hearty meal for the hungriest among us, but I'll have to go back for that. Anyway, I think maybe he might be interested in this prospective job as much as myself and Phira here, if he's this willing to pay for a stranger's round of drinks.
So, I'm heading back to the bar to get that food, I'll be right back."

He turns on his heel, and with his usual almost dance-like, dreamy movement, makes his way back to the bar, asking the bartender what the heaviest meal he would prepare would be, and places one order. Matches goes to retrieve his drink, and he returns.
Duck also follows suit, after a delay, to another ruckus, but from Matches this time. "I, personally, would be willing to do anything, within reason, of course, it would take for you to trust me. I already trust you. And seeing as we could potentially be putting our lives into each others' hands in the near future, bidirectional trust would be ideal, wouldn't it? And, not to impose a belief or thought on you, but seeing as I also trust Phira here," he places a hand slowly and gently onto her back, "you'd also, logically, have reason to trust her, yes?"

"Ny'veph, nice to properly meet you." Then, while Ny is befriending Phira's falcon, says, "speaking of meetings, some names are unkown to others. So far, Cassar introduced himself, then in response, introduced myself, and I've introduced Lox, now Phira has introduced herself, and Ny'veph right after." He gestures at everyone with each name, to help everyone else cement each others' names. Once that's all settled, he takes up a seat until called by the bartender to fetch the food, then returns with it and seats himself again, tail shifting slightly, and he listens closely to Cromley.

A bit overwhelmed by the enthusiasm the tiefling responded with, Lox blinked a couple times in response before his positive mood infected Lox and he couldn’t help but smile back. After the handshake, Lox quickly added “With a cheery attitude such as yours, I’m surprised no one calls you Sunny, Sunduako.” After chuckling at his own joke, Lox followed Duck around like a puppy, assisting him with the drinks and smiling brightly at the others as he was introduced. “Hiya folks, nice to meet ya.”

‘That worked much better than I expected.’ Lox thought to himself. ‘I woulda sworn that I would have had to try much harder to find a capable looking group of people with a task and some money to make, but this Sunny has helped me hit the jackpot.’ Loxim continued to face all the others with a bright smile of his face, even though his hand was twiddling with the base of his armor absentmindedly. He attempted to face each member and whisper their name to himself who they were introduced to him, but he was pretty sure he would forget them. “As the incredible Sunny has said, I’ve covered all your drinks as a sign of good will! I am new in town, and you all seemed like you were in need of some new drinks after those ruffians destroyed your other ones. But it was very insightful of Duck to assume that I was looking for a job, well, either that or a very happy coincidence.” Lox lets out another chuckle, showing his yellowed, but surprisingly straight teeth. “What kind of job are you guys getting into?”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back