• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Dragon Heist (Completed)

Regongar takes the offered vial, uncaps it and drinks it making a disgusted grimace. The potion is bitter. But what's more disturbing is that it cuts off your air the moment you drink it it cuts off your ability to breathe. Until you duck under the surface that is.

"Weird." Regongar says and you discover that not only is he able to speak under water, you can also hear without any difficulties.

The two of you dive down, deeper and deeper as the pressure in your head becomes too much to handle. The potion didn't address that issue. But you cannot go any deeper anyway since you've reached a particularly large shipwreck on the ocean floor. It is covered in barnacles and corals, rusted and rotted through.

whydah.jpg

- Approach the shipwreck.
- Call out for the dragon.
- Stay there and observe.

Approach the shipwreck.

The sensation of hearing, speaking, and breathing underwater was an uncomfortable one. Iselas' instincts screamed at her that this was wrong and that this wasn't how things were meant to be. That she needed to have oxygen in her lungs. But the longer they stayed beneath the surface the more accustomed she grew to the sensation. Though the pressure that pounded down against her head was still unwelcome.

"Perhaps we should get a closer look first?" Iselas whispered to Regongar, drifting closer to him briefly before swimming past to investigate the shipwreck. His earlier comment of gold had made her understandably curious. Perhaps a ship laden with treasure had sunk and attracted the subsequent greed of a passing dragon? If Iselas was reincarnated she supposed that she'd like to become a dragon.

Regongar doesn't respond, standing still as he looks over your shoulder and past you. He opens his mouth to warn you, but doesn't get to say anything, as large claws curl around your waist and move you up through the water. You are turned around and on eye level with a dragon.

77b70130955542572a10f152eaa4fe8e.jpg

The dragon is sitting on top of a large boulder close to the shipwreck and it is ten times larger than you. It scans you with a very curious look. Then suddenly grins, exposing multiple rows of sharp teeth.

"Hello, friend!" The voice of the dragon is strangely bright and far from menacing. "What are you doing here? Elves can't breathe under water!" Then he looks at Regongar who swims closer. "Oh, an orc too! You are strange companions! Do you have any gold? Emeralds? Sapphires? Anything nice and shiny?"

- Answer.
- Ask it about the ship.
- Ask it about itself.

Answer.

Instinctively Iselas' hands curled around the claws that had encircled her waist, raw panic fluttered over her features as she came face to face with the eye of a massive dragon. Even the creature's seemingly cheerful disposition failed to entirely abate her fear. Especially when it grinned at her like that.

"Um, hello!" Iselas said for lack of a better introduction, she struggled to recall the reason for their visit. And then it all came rushing back. "My name is Iselas and this is my friend, Regongar --" She gestured to the half-orc with a tentative smile. "-- we recently drank a potion to help us breathe under water. May I ask who you are?"

"I'm Zelifarn, nice to meet you!" The dragon answers enthusiastically. Then its claws move and he lets you go, though you are still floating very close to its snout. "What are you two doing here?"

"We've come to see why are you here actually." Regongar says.

"Oh." The dragon nods. "But, why? Did you come to bring me gold? I like gold. Do you have any gold?"

- Answer.
- Ask it about the ship.
- Ask it about itself.

Ask it about the ship.

"Nice to meet you, Zelifarn. We also like gold!" Iselas concurred quickly, carefully swimming backwards to put some space between herself and Zelifarn's snout. Hopefully they could all bond other their mutual love of gold and not get eaten. That was the big fear, number one. Now to move the topic swiftly along and to avoid any possible fights over said gold...

"My boss was concerned about why you've suddenly chosen to move here. I assume that's mainly because of public safety and just general curiosity," Iselas explained, feeling a little more comfortable now that she had some distance. "Which, by the way, is this your home? Why did you choose this sunken ship?" Because yeah, that was a weird choice, especially the whole underwater part.

"Oh, I don't know." Zelifarn shrugs. "It drew me in, I guess. It looked like there might be something shiny and valuable in there, but I've found nothing so far. But I'm not yet ready to leave. I have to check every nook and cranny first to be sure." He pauses. "What about you? Do you have any gold?"

"Not really." Regongar answers.

"Oh. I see." Zelifarn hangs its head.

- Answer.
- Ask if he intends to bother anyone (roll d20 for wisdom check, modifier 2).
- Leave.

Ask if he intends to bother anyone (rolled 4).

"I have no gold because I had to buy furniture," Iselas admitted, a little morosely as she recalled the process of furnishing the tavern. It wasn't even close to being finished yet either! Still, there was something satisfying about seeing the estate being returned to its former glory. And, it made Lif happy.

"So, you're just looking for treasure?" She continued, getting herself back on track as she looked for some form of confirmation on the subject. There needed to be some sort of concrete reasoning for her to take back to Varja; especially if she wanted to count this mission as a success. "You don't intend to bother anybody?"

"No, I'm just here sniffing out gold." The dragons grins, but you are unable to discern if it is telling you the whole truth or not. One glance at Regongar confirms that he doesn't know either.

"Well, you can come to visit any time!" The dragon speaks again, before swimming toward its shipwreck. You start feeling the potion's effects wearing off. It is time for you to return to the surface.

- Tell Blackstaff that the dragon is not a threat.
- Tell her that the dragon is a threat.
- Tell her that you don't know what it wants.

Tell Blackstaff that the dragon is not a threat.

"I have spoken to the dragon and believe that they do not pose a threat currently," Iselas reported back to Varja that same day. Despite the legitimacy of the mission she felt like it had gone poorly, at least judging by the minimal amount of evidence she'd gathered. "It appears to be looking for gold and not trouble. But I am unsure of whether that will remain so." Truthfully Iselas had found Zelifarn to be quite friendly and surprisingly reasonable. If she were being honest with herself then she would admit to not wanting the dragon to be a threat because she liked it.

"Those are good news." Varja nods as you relay your message. "Let's hope that the creature will stay under the surface. We have enough problems to keep the Waterdeep stable as it is, we don't need another dragon mixed into the equation."

Blackstaff gives you your payment, which proves to be fifty gold dragons this time, but she doesn't wave you away. You notice that she looks distraught, far from the stoic woman you've seen the last time. She sighs and stands up from her chair, sitting on the corner of the table and leaning toward you in confidence.

"You have proven capable so far and I have an urgent matter that needs to be resolved. It's really... more of a personal quest." She smiles sadly. "A member of Force Grey has been acting strangely of late. His name is Meloon Wardragon, and he is a dear friend. His happy-go-lucky demeanour has soured all of a sudden. My people report that he's been hanging around the Yawning Portal more than usual. I want you to observe him for a tenday and then report back to me. I want to know if he is still capable to be considered a part of Force Grey."

- Accept.
- Refuse.
- Ask about the reward.
- Ask about Meloon.
- Ask about Varja.

Accept: Ask about Meloon.

"Okay." Iselas says, her reply almost instant.

Belatedly she realises that she probably should have asked about the reward but finds that she doesn't actually care. Because she loves gold, craves it in such a deep and incomprehensible way that it makes her fingers twitch and heart thud, but she appreciates loyalty more. All the gold in the world couldn't offer the same comfort as having somebody you trust at your back. Marric had taught her that.

"What am I looking for, exactly?" Iselas continues swiftly, gold stashed away and hands shoved into pockets. There is a casual slouch to her posture that hides her nerves. "Is there anything you can tell me about his personality that will help as a gauge?"

Varja sighs. "Meloon is a gentle man and a diligent worker. He is one of my most trusted employees, though he had some personal issues recently that might have left a mark on him. I cannot tell you more, this is something that should only be told by him, if you ever get as chance to meet him." She pauses. "However, he is duty bound and I know that he always put work above anything, which is why we always got along so well. He is a strong warrior, though he is not very perceptive, so you should be able to tail him, with a bit of stealth on your side. He doesn't drink, though, which is why it is beyond me as to why he spends so much time in a tavern."

- Plan a stealthy approach.
- Plan a direct approach.
- Plan something else.

Plan a stealthy approach.

"Ah, I see," Iselas hums in quiet assent, running a hand through her tousled blonde locks as she considers the options laid before her. Meloon's lack of perceptive abilities is an obvious point in her favour and she intends to use that to her advantage when shadowing him. After all, Varja just wanted her to observe and gather intel.

"I'd need to familiarise myself with the streets and people that he frequents," Iselas nods to the other woman. "Most likely I'll just play the role of a new traveller in town since you tend to get a lot of those." It would be easier as well, considering that Iselas was actually new to Waterdeep. Also, frequenting the tavern would hardly be out of character for her and Regongar's new boss had seen her in there more than once now. She'd be a witness to her new arrival and would help ease any suspicion off Iselas for being in the same bar as Meloon.

The hardest part would be shadowing him outside the tavern. Hence, the need to familiarise herself with the city.

Varja gives you a brief description of Meloon and you set off with a new quest in mind. This one will take ten days to complete, so it is best to use this first one as reconnaissance only. Find your target in the Yawning Portal and observe his behaviour, maybe tail him if he leaves the tavern.

Making your way to the tavern, you feel your coin purse once again heavy with enough dragons to buy some improvements for the tavern or indulge yourself and your companions. However, that would need to come after the first step toward completing the new task.

7ba62b94f1ae5ab9cb42541f72defd87.jpg

The Yawning Portal is filled to the brim with scarred and grizzled adventurers waiting for their turn to descent into the Undermountain, or just toast their success or drown their sorrows. It is a loud and busy place where people openly discussed their endeavours and beer never ran out. Just as you walk through the doors, you see a group of armoured adventurers making their way down the well. A lot of them never returned from those dungeons.

The bartender, the man who helped you fight the troll on your first day, is still there behind the bar, cleaning an already sparkling glass, while half a dozen barmaids took orders and served flagons of dark beer. You also see Yagra Stonefist, the half-orc brawler and Regongar's new boss, sitting at a table with three more odd looking characters with her, talking loudly and laughing louder. Among all the hustle and bustle you are still unable to spot Meloon.

- Sit at a table and observe.
- Sit at the bar and observe.
- Approach Yagra.
- Approach the bartender.

Sit at the bar and observe: approach the bartender.
Given a physical description of her target and a location, Iselas headed out onto the streets of Waterdeep in search of the Yawning Portal. She was anxious to fulfill this mission, to prove herself to the Blackstaff and to get back to her estate as soon as possible.

It was a familiar sight and filled with brazen adventurers when she finally stepped through the door. Bright eyes briefly flickered over the congregation of faces and discovered that none of the gathered men matched Varja's description. Well then, she'd just have to settle down and bide her time until he showed up.

Iselas breathed out a low breath and crossed the crowded room to the bar. Yagra appeared to have company and, not wishing to impose, the half-elf decided that the bartender would be the safer option. It didn't help that Yagra was an intimidating woman in her own right, seemingly just as violent as Amiri and probably just as rowdy as Regongar could be.

"Hello again," Iselas opened with, as she slid into an empty barstool. "Had anymore trolls around recently?" She grinned, leaning against the bar so that she could keep one eye on him and the other on the door.

"Two just last night." The bartender answers casually. "They were only whelps, not even over three meters tall." Having a tavern on top of the most famous dungeon entrance seems to come with its risks, but the man in front you doesn't look fazed by it at all.

After the bartender responds your eyes settle one someone that fits Meloon's description. He is walking down the stairs that lead to the upper floor, and possibly rooms for rent.

5bd9e5b060eb3d18f40f2b55694f0bc7.jpg

The first thing you notice is that he is huge. Varja had told you that he is very tall, but you can see that he towers even above Regongar and he is a half-orc. The second thing you notice is a faraway look in his eyes, the confusion in his behaviour. After watching him for a moment longer you see that he is muttering something, scowling, then pushing through the crowd toward the bar.

- Greet him.
- Observe him.

Observe him.

"That is one big man," Iselas muttered to the bartender, blowing a low and impressed whistle under her breath. She didn't even know that humans got that big in the first place, it was definitely intimidating. Hopefully Blackstaff was right in that he was a decent man; she did not want to fight someone who looked like that. Someone who could crush her head like a grape.

For a brief second she debated whether to greet the possible Meloon or not, but ultimately decided against it. If anyone questioned why she was watching him, or was so curious about him, Iselas figured she could chalk it up to an instant attraction. For now she decided to keep her distance and watch from afar, there was no need to expose herself immediately.

That faraway look in his eyes was curious though.

"Who, Wardragon?" The bartender smiles. "How do you think he earned the name?" He gives you a look, but doesn't elaborate, instead going over to Meloon to take his order.

You don't learn much more that day. Meloon orders a bear and downs it in one swallow, then puts the coins on the table and walks back up the stairs. He doesn't pay you any attention, nor does he notice any unwanted attention from you. In fact, you are pretty sure that he is very blind to almost everything transpiring around him.

You have nine more days to observe, interrogate, or snoop around Meloon's belongings. But today you have a chance to set some more funds toward the tavern, or explore the various shops in your neighbourhood.

- Explore the neighbourhood.
- Buy some more furniture.
- Hang out with your companions.

Buy some more furniture.

That was certainly some peculiar behaviour. He'd only had one drink at the bar -- and a man his size could easily put away more -- then he'd simply retreated back to his room. Still, it'd confirmed that he was indeed Meloon Wardragon, and that he was acting strangely. Iselas huffed a low breath and exited the tavern to continue on with her day.

She wanted to buy some furniture for the tavern and to get back into the renovations. At least for the time being.

You buy more chairs and refurbish the counter. At least that is what you order from Tally and he promises to send his workers the next morning to help with the repairs. You give him fifty hold pieces as before, as he says a that is enough for the moment. Every next thing you decide to do, such as renovating the cellar, stocking up on drinks and furnishing the rooms for rent, will be much more expensive. But at least you have the taproom in a decent state now.

When the night falls you return to Trolskull Manor to find Amiri in a serious conversation with Lif. As you enter you overhear a small part of it.

"... and they all laughed at me. A woman trying to be a chief, can you imagine?"

The barbarian's words are slightly slurred and she hiccups when she hears you enter, turning around. Her cheeks are red and she is definitely not drinking tea.

"Oh, hey pretty elf! You life must have been a piece of cake! What would I have given to have been born in a big city!" She addressed you at the same moment when Lif passes you a note: Careful, she's a bit agitated.

While you have known Amiri for a couple of months now, you have never gotten too close for her to share her story with you. You only know what little she told you - that she came from somewhere up north, the cold steppes, and that she was a part of a big tribe once, but left her home in pursuit of something different. You know that she is strong and despises getting help from others and that she specifically dislikes men. Regongar was in danger from her angry outbursts at times, but the half-orc was mostly too disinterested for her to get actually physical.

- Comfort Amiri.
- Argue with her.
- Ask her about their convesation.
- Share your history.
- Ignore her and go to bed.

Share your history.

Iselas' mind, previously preoccupied with her target's strange behaviour and the refurbishment of the tavern, snapped back into focus at the small snippet of overheard conversation. When Amiri came into her line of view she found herself surprised; the human woman was incredibly strong and guarded, never vulnerable like this. Iselas felt like she'd intruded upon something.

"Hey pretty warrior!" Iselas greeted back with a slightly strained smile. The assumption that her life had been peaches and cream was only a little offensive. The half-elf would rather have people assume that she'd grown up normally than look at her and instantly know the truth. That was also one of the things she liked about her companions; it was clear that they all had issues but none of them ever pushed for details.

"And oh, I don't know about that," Iselas replied lightly, circling around to the bar to find herself something to drink. Where was Lif's tea? She'd need something to wash down this conversation. "It really depends on where you're born into the city. I always wanted to be the child of a loving pair of blacksmiths," She admitted, a flicker of embarrassment crossing her features. "Maybe I was, who knows? I never met my parents 'cause they didn't want me. Grew up on the streets, probably wouldn't have made six years old if it weren't for..."

She paused, momentarily grappling with the memory of Marric in that tiny back alley they called home.

"After he left me I got recruited by the mercs 'cause I was dumb enough to try and pick their pockets!" Iselas laughed. "It was either that or the whore-house, and I think I turned out pretty alright in the end.

"Besides, if you'd grown up in the city you wouldn't have been half as badass as you are now," Iselas looked up from what she was doing to level Amiri with a bright smile. "You're the strongest person that I know, after all."

You see Amiri's shoulders slump and the tension leave her face. She looks away from you, appearing embarrassed. Lif stays silent as always, moving away Amiri's cup to which she doesn't protest.

"Didn't mean to pry. Old ghosts should rest." She says after a moment, eyes still not meeting yours however. "Mine just resurfaced today. Joined the Colosseum fighting. Met a person I knew once. Killed him." She says briefly then sighs.

- Ask about the Colosseum.
- Ask about the fight.
- Ask about her past.
- Change the subject.

Ask about the fight.

"It's alright," Iselas replied, voice softening slightly as the tension and fight slumped out of her companion. "I ain't got nothing to hide, everyone has ghosts." It seemed she'd need something stronger than tea for this after all. The rogue recalled Regongar's boss had brought in some mead for the tavern and she poured herself a cup of it instead. She took a tentative sip as she attempted to unravel what Amiri had revealed.

"You joined the Colosseum?" That wasn't too surprising, though Iselas couldn't work out whether Amiri was trying to prove something or whether she just enjoyed the fight.

"Was it a good fight? Did... it help?" Iselas asked, sounding a little uncertain now. She'd never had to confront her past before. Sometimes she thought she saw them -- the urchins that she once knew -- but it was always a passing face and never the one that she wanted to see. The Red Hands hadn't contacted her in months either.

"Yeah!" Amiri laughs, smacking the top of the counter with her fist. "Multiple fights! All great! Knocked out some scrawny elves, tossed around some tiny dwarves. Then wrestled a bear!" She grins enthusiastically. But it lasts for only a moment, then she looks down at her balled fists solemnly. "Then fought Harl. Didn't want to kill him, but he called me weak, that bastard!" She slams her fists against the counter again, but this time in anger, teeth gritted. "Thought it would make me feel better. It didn't."

She sighs and stands up from the stool, visibly struggling to keep her balance. She looks at you for a moment, raises her hand clumsily to pat your cheek and smiles.

"Men don't know anything." She says, the raises a finger as if remembering something. Searching through the pouch on her belt, Amiri takes out a pretty heavy sack of coins and puts in on the counter in front of you. "Money from the fight. Don't want it." She says and turns to leave, waving over her shoulder.

- Take the money.
- Leave the money.
- Go after Amiri.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back