• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Dragon Heist (Completed)

The axe misses you, instead thudding against the wall behind you and getting stuck there.

"Iselas?" Regongar calls after you, sounding worried. He exhales in relief when he sees your head poking out behind the table, very much still connected to the rest of your body. "Meloon's fine, just stunned." He informs you then.

The big man is not moving still, his eyes wide open, but you have no choice but to trust Regongar.

Amiri rushes to pick up her sword on the ground and then in for another strike, not stopping. Regongar seems eager to provide support. You can see that the mind flayer is bleeding out of multiple wounds, your bolts still stuck in his body. His emotionless face might not show it, but he is growing weaker.

- Attack Nihiloor with your crossbow (roll d20 for dexterity check, modifier 5)
- Attack Nihiloor with your shortsword (roll d20 for strength check, modifier 1).

Attack Nihiloor with your crossbow (rolled 20).

Thankfully, Meloon's axe had lodged itself in the wall behind her, rather than in Iselas' much softer skull. At Regongar's call she glanced back over the toppled table, meeting his relieved gaze with a wobbly smile that was intended to be comforting. His reassurance that Meloon wasn't dead was met with genuine relief this time and she breathed easier, able to focus back on the battle at hand.

Currently Amiri seemed to be holding the fight on her own, having thrown herself fearlessly back into battle. Luckily, she wouldn't be alone for long. Another bolt was hitched into Iselas' crossbow as she used the edge of the table to steady her hand. So far she'd been lucky with her shots but Nihiloor still wasn't going down; hopefully that luck would continue because she wasn't sure how much more her own team could take. Taking aim for his tentacled face she let the arrow fly and hoped it'd meet its mark.

Your arrow flew exactly as you wanted it to. Straight at Nihiloor's face. The mind flayer was occupied with Amiri's attacks again, unable to defend himself as the arrow hits a place of his face where a nose would be in regular people. For the first time you hear him make a sound - a deep, angry yet pained, moan. Amiri uses this chance to slash at him as Regongar sends a bolt of electricity to back her up.

Nihiloor falls on the floor in a crumple of clothes and tentacles, writhing, yet still alive. Amiri holds him at sword point, looking at you for approval.

- Let her kill Nihiloor.
- Spare Nihiloor.
- Interrogate him.

Interrogate him.
It was a tense moment when Iselas' arrow found its mark. Watching Nihiloor's crumpled body hit the floor sent an angry, self-satisfied rush through the half-elf. After seeing what he had done, after knowing what he was capable of, she had no more room for mercy.

"I have three questions." Iselas began as she hitched another bolt into her crossbow. Just in case. "What did you do to Meloon? How many more intellect devourers have you set loose and onto whom? And, for what purpose?"

You don't hear Nihiloor answer, you still don't know if he's capable of speech, or even if he is, can he speak elvish or common at all. Mind flayers did not come from the world you know, they are an alien race and they don't think like other sentient creatures. In Nihiloor's mind what he had been doing, might not have been wrong at all.

The last thing you hear is loud buzzing in your head, so loud that you fear your eardrums might burst open. And maybe they did, because you cannot hear Nihiloor's scream as Amiri chops his head clean off, nor can you hear Regongar as he examines you with worry. You can see them, though, and think clearly at least. Amiri searches around Nihiloor's robes and finds a key to the manacles of the drow prisoner.

She seems very chipper to be out of there and quickly follows in with you, as Regongar leads you all outside. Meloon, still stunned and limp, has to be carried by Amiri, which is not a small feat, yet the barbarian woman seems to take it as a challenge.

--

Your hearing returns a couple of hours later, just in time to hear Meloon's grunting as he gets off the floor and proceeds to stretch his cramped muscles.

"You could've put me on a bed at least." He frowns.

"No bed big enough." Amiri retorts.

The three of you, plus Meloon and Zaira are sitting in the sort-of-repaired taproom of your tavern. Lif is suspiciously absent.

- Rest in the tavern.
- Report to Varja.
- Talk to Meloon.
- Talk to Zaira.
- Talk to Amiri/Regongar.

Talk to Meloon.
Genuine fear had just begun to develop into full-blown panic -- because Iselas needed her hearing if she wanted to continue down this path she'd chosen for herself -- when the silent, droning buzz abated into actual noise. Meloon's complaints made her blink rapidly in realisation from where she'd been staring off into space. Hurriedly she reached up, snapping her fingers next to pointed ears as she rechecked her hearing. It seemed that whatever spells had been cast over herself and Meloon had disappeared at the same time.

"I won't have to sell my body on the streets now." Iselas whispered to herself in genuine, full-hearted relief. Because clearly that was the only alternative if she'd lost her hearing permentantly. Okay, it wasn't, but she was allowed to be dramatic. Swallowing back her relief she glanced over at the giant in question and leveled him with an exhausted smile. "Hey, Mels. You feeling alright?" Being paralyzed had to suck.

Also, though she may be a little hesitant to admit to it, Iselas' main priority was to make sure that everyone was safe and sound. Both physically and mentally. Even if she wasn't properly equipped to help with the latter.

"I feel like crap." Meloon answers, but still he smiles at you. "But the slimy bastard is dead, I got to see it at least." He turns around to meet everyone's eyes. "Thank you, everyone. I know I haven't been much help."

"You were fine, don't worry." Regongar says.

"Yeah, useful like a dead fish." Amiri snorts.

Meloon laughs at that, not looking offended at all, "That's fair." He shakes his head and approaches you. "I'll report to Varja and relay everything that transpired. She'll be pleased." He pats your back in good humour. "I'll bring your payment here, you rest up." He says like a caring parent, before saying goodbye to everyone and leaving.

"So, uh, I would also like to thank you." The drow woman you saved speaks then, fiddling with the hem of her undershirt poking under the mail. "I'm only sad that you didn't encounter my mentor as well." She sighs. "I'm gonna go back to Skullport and organise a search party for her. Or rather... a raiding party." She steps up to you, pulling something out of a hidden pocked in her armour and pressing it into your hand. "Only fair to repay you." She says with a smile.

When you open your hand you find a good-sized ruby there, worth at least fifty gold.

- Ask Zaira about Skullport.
- Ask about herself.
- Ask about her plans.
- Something else.

Ask about her plans.
Iselas' earlier concern shifted into genuine amusement at Amiri's retort as she grinned at the barbarian woman. Thankfully, Meloon didn't take her words too seriously either. His offer to report to Varja and to collect her payment was met with an easy smile; one that brightened considerably at the fatherly pat on her back. Not that she really knew what a father figure was supposed to be like, but she assumed that they were somebody who took care of others.

"Oh?" Iselas blinked in surprise as Zaira approached her; surprise that tripled when the drow suddenly produced a large ruby to seal her gratitude. "Well, no problem! Though, rescuing a damsel in distress is always payment enough." She winked and then laughed, pocketing the ruby regardless. Money was money, after all, and she'd always been a sucker for pretty faces and things that shone. "A raiding party?" Iselas continued, curiosity prompting her.

"How very gentlewomanly of you." Zaira offers a wide grin at your remark, but her expression grows serious soon. "Yeah, I'll have to get together some of my friends and get into that lair again to try and find my mentor." She pauses, biting her lower lip. "Or at least some conclusion to this. I don't even know what that creepy mind flayer was trying to accomplish with us there."

Zaira lingers in the tavern for a moment longer, before saying goodbye to all of you, and once again expression her gratitude. She fidgets for a moment, thinking about something, then leans over to you and gives you a quick kiss on the cheek, before backing away with a sheepish grin. Then, with a wave, she's out the door.

"I remember a time when I used to get all the ladies..." Regongar says, rolling his eyes at you.

--

Two hours later, the three of you had a chance to rest, while Lif, who makes his presence known again, makes you all tea as is his way when he's not throwing cutlery around.

Meloon comes knocking then, bringing you regards from Blackstaff as well as a substantial payment for your services. You almost have enough to completely restore the Trollskull tavern. If Regongar pitches in, you could move on with the repairs and have it all done quickly.

- Ask Regongar to help.
- Restore what you can with what you have.
- Don't restore the tavern.

Ask Regongar to help.
Realisation had begun to set in as it finally occurred to the half-elf that the tavern would see its completion sooner rather than later. But, that was only if Regongar pitched in to help move things along. Fortunately for Iselas -- and unfortunately for Regongar -- she had absolutely no reservations about turning those wide, puppy-dog eyes on him. An expression she'd fondly dubbed her 'sad orphan eyes' face.

"You know," Iselas began, sidling closer to Regongar. "I've almost saved up enough to completely restore the tavern. If you helped to pitch in those last few gold then we'd have this place up and running real soon," Then she leaned in a little closer. "Think about all that booze, all those... pretty barmaids?" Iselas waggled her eyebrows.

Regongar regards you with an unamused expression that changes the moment you mention booze and barmaids. As if remembering it just now, he grins, tusks flashing, "Oh yeah, I did tell you I'm gonna pick the staff."

Being very cheap when coin is concerned, Regongar gives you only thirty gold pieces, enough to pool in your resources, finish the restoration and hire some staff, leaving you with ten gold coins to make ends meet until the tavern starts earning some money.

--

Days pass, then weeks, and Trollskull tavern really starts looking a formidable establishment. Lif seems the happiest he's ever been, in turn becoming very helpful as well. With his poltergeist powers he puts on the chandeliers, dusts the floors and hangs the wall decoration. The big bar is restored, fireplace built from scratch, big enough to warm the entire common room, the bedrooms upstairs are newly furnished with beds and the cellar is stocked with various kinds of alcohol.

Regongar brings in one of the Zentharim, a burly dwarf with a loud laugh he uses often, to help with the little brewery you got going on in the cellar. This, in turn, brings in a lot of Zentharim customers, including Yagra, who occasionally instigates a brawl in your tavern. None of the Xanathar guild members come in, or at least you don't notice anyone openly flaunting that title.

Being true to his word, Regongar hires the rest of the staff as well, three waitresses, one human and two half-elves, all of them very young and shapely. This brings more customers to the tavern, however it also makes Amiri lose her temper every time she sees one of your customers trying to cope a feel. In the first couple of days, four of your patrons leave the tavern with broken fingers, but as the time goes on less and less of them try placing their hands where they are not supposed to. Amiri is from then on considered an unofficial bouncer and the official protector of your staff.

Meloon changes his room in the Yawning Portal to one at your tavern, making him the only permanent resident there. He is always the first person down for breakfast, but he is never back in the inn until well after midnight, doing something for Varja no doubt.

Floon and Volothamp visit you often too, the two friends never far from each other. They usually take a table by the fireplace, where Volo keeps working on one of his many books, while Floon blushes each time a barmaid approaches. Volo is particularly proud of what you have done with the place. He reveals he knew about Lif before buying the mansion and apologises for not warning you about him.

Lif shows on sign of wanting to leave the tavern. In fact, he proclaims himself at the bartender, which either scares off newcomers right away, or attracts them and makes them invite more curious friends. Levitating drinks and brooms that move on their own are not exactly common in Waterdeep.

--

Renaer Neverember visits the tavern one night, about ten days from its opening. He finds you at the bar and joins you immediately. You notice that he looks very tired.

"I just got released from a drow dungeon." He explains with a tired smile. "Even Bregan D'aerthe have started asking after the hidden dragons." He waves you off before you can ask. "Don't worry, they treated me well. It's starting to be funny, really. Every week I'm spending time in a different cell." He shakes his head.

- Ask him about the drow.
- Ask why doesn't he leave.
- Ask for news about the vault.
- Ask something else.
- Stay silent.

Last edited:
Ask why doesn't he leave.

This was easily the happiest that Iselas had ever been in her entire life. With the tavern's new completion she suddenly had more and more people spilling into their shared and humble abode. It felt more like home than anything else ever had in her life and Iselas knew it was more to do with the people than the house itself.

Lif's declaration of never leaving made the half-elf visibly delighted as it would feel empty without their regular poltergeist around. Regongar's choice of barmaids got her seal of approval and Amiri's fierce protection over said barmaids earned both her approval and adoration. Having Meloon move into one of their rooms only made her like the giant even more; he was kind of adorable Iselas decided. Volothamp and Floon were both welcomed with open arms -- though she definitely teased the latter on that blush he often sported around the pretty barmaids. All in all, Iselas was quite clearly enjoying herself... probably more than she ought to. So, when Renaer finally showed up in the tavern she was already in a bright and cheerful mood. One that dimmed almost immediately with concern at his exhausted expression and weary tale.

"A drow dungeon?" Iselas repeated incredulously, immediately reaching over the bar to fetch him the nearest drink she could find. He definitely looked like he needed it. "Don't suppose you'd recognise the name Zaira then?" She joked weakly, her humor rapidly drying up. It was rare for the blonde to be serious but she did like the noble and she did worry about him. "I just... why do you stay here?" Iselas asked quietly. "Not just in that big, cold mansion of yours but in this city? You know, there's an entire world out there, one that doesn't want to kidnap you half as much as this place does."

Renaer takes the offered drink and sips it slowly, before answering.

"No, I don't know any Zaira. Friend of yours?" He regards you with his blue eyes. "I was held by Jarlaxle and his crew." He sighed. "I can't complain, they were very civilised actually."

At your second question, the noble falls silent for a long minute.

"I've asked myself that a hundred times before." He says finally, gaze focused on the mug in his hands. "It's the familiarity, I think. Waterdeep is my home, no matter what." He grits his teeth, voice strained. "I'm the last Neverember left, but I still cling to the idea of restoring our name." He sighs. "I know it sounds silly, I just don't want to go down the easiest path and flee."

- Comfort him.
- Joke about it.
- Give him a hug.
- Stay silent.
- Something else.

Give him a hug.

"Heh, you could say that," Iselas snorted, recalling the bashful kiss she'd received from the drow woman and Regongar's exasperated jealousy. When Renaer lapsed into silence she turned properly in her chair to face him, chin propped up in her upturned palm as she regarded his sombre expression.

"Hmm," She hummed at his explanation, expression softening as she considered what to say. Delicately, delicately. "...For what it's worth, Ren, I don't think it sounds silly." Iselas leveled him with a lopsided smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. "I never had a family, never cared too much for honour, but... wanting to redeem your family can't be a bad thing, right?" Their seats were close enough for her to reach over and wrap a companiable arm around his shoulders, her hand cupping the back of his head in order to guide it into the crook of her neck. "Just... you know... don't kill yourself over it."

Renaer is a bit surprised by your reaction, but he doesn't fight it when you hug him. It takes him a moment to relax and he stays in your arms briefly, before moving slightly away and placing the mug on the counter. His eyes meet your then and he smiles.

"Thank you. That's a very nice thing to say. You are a good friend, Iselas." His expression has visibly brightened.

- Say something.
- Ask him a question.
- Stay silent.

Say something.
"No need to thank me, Ren! You're a good man for what it's worth," Iselas beamed straight back, patting him on the shoulder amicably. Her hands were then returned to the bar-top where she threaded her fingers together again. "And, if you ever need a place to lay low for a while, you're always welcome to come here." This was said with a little more trepidation but the same bright smile.

"Thank you." Renaer nods again, smiling at you. "But, I know how restless your little group is. You are never in the tavern for long, right?" He looks past the bar, then, where Lif is mixing some sort of a cocktail for a thiefling woman leaning on the counter. He squints, as if noticing this for the first time. "Why didn't you mention that you have an invisible bartender? I would've visited sooner." He grins.

Suddenly, a piercing, high-pitched scream echoes through the tavern, followed by a clatter of cutler, mugs, and upturned tables. A human woman, sitting at a corner table has jumped up on her chair, eyes glued to the floor, where something the size of a cat is scuttling over. Her companion, a grey-bearded dwarf, is trying to calm her down, but without success.

"Rats!" She screams. "This place is infested with rats! We should never have come here!" She sounds angry but looks to be on the verge of tears.

Before you can react, half a dozen more rats scamper across the floor of the tavern, making more people jump up on the chairs and tables, yelling and screeching and toppling their drinks. The room is soon engulfed in chaos.

Your barmaids all hurry to Amiri, huddling around her, but the big barbarian looks pretty squeamish as well. Perhaps she has a weakness after all. Regongar is on his feet too, conjuring a spell, ready to fry some rat meat, however, with all the drink spilled on the boards, he could very easily start a fire.

- Stop Regongar.
- Ask Renaer to help.
- Call for Amiri to help.
- Try killing some rats (roll d20 for athletics check, modifier 1).
- Try catching some rats (roll d20 for acrobatics check, modifier 7).
- Try to defuse the situation (roll d20 for performance check, modifier 3).

Ask Renaer for help; try catching some rats (rolled 11).

Iselas shrugged one shoulder, lips parted to deliver a slightly more flirtatious reply, when a shrill scream broke through the air. Instantly her attention was drawn across the room to where the source of the noise had come from. Confusion marred her normally sunny features as she caught sight of the hoard of rats racing across the tavern floor.

"Where...?" Iselas trailed off, shaking her head to clear her mind as she settled into a more determined stance. She'd ask questions later. "Reg! You better not start a fire!" She warned, trusting him to make the decision on whether his spell would spark flames or not. Electric blue eyes were turned onto Renaer, "Want to help me wrangle these rats?" Iselas asked with an easy grin, not really waiting for a reply before throwing herself into the fray.

With your masterful acrobatics, demonstrated already weeks ago in the Xanathar lair, you flip over the tables, slide under the chairs, evade being stomped on by flustered customers, and manage to catch two rats.

Renaer looks for a moment like he might help you, but he quickly loses track of what he was trying to do, enthralled by your movement. He, as well as many patrons, watch your demonstration in awe.

"Show off." Regongar snorts, but there is a smile on his face. Thankfully, he doesn't burn anything down.

As other rats scuttle about, disappearing down the stairs and into the basement, you have two of them wriggling in your hands. Quite large for rats, with surprisingly intelligent gazes. You've seen this before too - they are were-rats, only refusing to revert to their less animalistic forms.

- Talk to the rats/threaten them.
- Have Regongar threaten them.
- Have Renaer charm them.
- Have Amiri intimidate them.

Talk to the rats/threaten them.
With a large rat in each hand Iselas stared down at the pair of them in genuine surprise, her head tilted marginally to the side. She'd seen a were-rat before in Nihiloor's lair, though she had no idea what they were doing in her tavern. It was... suspicious to say the least.

"Whatever. You love my dramatic flair," Iselas replied back absently to Regongar as she ventured over to show him the two rats, as if needing a second opinion on the matter. "They look like were-rats to me," She explained and then frowned down at the two again. This time her question was aimed at them, "What are you doing in our tavern? I suggest you change back and speak up now. I doubt either of you are cute enough kids to get a free pass, not like the last were-rat." And, to be completely honest, that kid had reminded her of the urchin she'd grown up alongside.

The two were-rats, pressured by your words and everyone else's staring, revert back to their original forms. You have to drop them as they get too heavy for you to hold them. Soon enough, two halfling men stand before you. Not at all cute like that boy was. They are lean and mean, with shifty eyes and scraggly beards.

"How many more of you are there?" Regongar is the first to ask, leaning over them menacingly.

"Three." One of them squeaks, cowering. The whole tavern gathers around to see what is happening and Amiri finally makes her way over as well.

"Someone sent them." She says. "To ruin our business."

"Who?" Regongar growls.

"No one sent us!"

"We'll never say!"

The halflings exclaim at the same time, then look at each other, until they finally avert their gazes to the ground.

- Threaten them (roll d20, modifier 3).
- Persuade them (roll d20, modifier 5).
- Bribe them.

Persuade them (rolled 15).
Iselas' lips quirked up slightly at Regongar's intimidating expression, having already released her hold on the two were-rats. Though she remained close enough to catch them should they attempt to escape once more.

"We aren't going to punish you for the actions of your employer," Iselas promised, attempting to sweeten the deal as she stared down at the two. "At least, we won't have to should you give us someone else to. Think about it, you failed your task and I doubt they'll be quick to forgive."

One of the halflings sighs, rolling his eyes, "The bastard doesn't pay us good anyway." He looks up at you. "Emmek Frewn. Owns Frewn's Brews across the street."

"He promised decent jobs in his inn, but keeps on using us to do his dirty work." The other halflings frowns.

"Wait, did I hear that right?" Renaer steps closer. "Emmek Frewn? He was on the auction for the Trollskull manor when Volo bought it." He looks at you with a smile. "Looks like you have a business rival."

"Let's go burn his inn down." Regongar says, making toward the door. Amiri just nods and follows suit.

"Uh, are you gonna stop them?" Renaer gives you an uncertain look.

- Let them deal with Emmek.
- Go with them.
- Stop them.

Go with them.
"Maybe," Iselas reassured Renaer with an easy smile and a shrug as she followed Amiri and Regongar out the tavern door. "Depends on how cooperative he is towards my persuasion!" She called over her shoulder, sending the noble a wink before turning around and falling into step beside her two companions.

As you make your way out, the halflings turn into rats again and slip out. Your patrons watch you with interest, but soon most of them turn back to their drinks.

"Trying to sabotage a business owned by an orc and a barbarian, can you imagine the stupidity of that guy?" You hear Regongar say to Amiri.

"He saw we have an elf too, thought we are all soft." Amiri answers.

You don't get to say anything, before your companions make their way across the street and up to the door of Frewn's Brews. Amiri kicks them in without a pardon. You hear a yelp coming from the inside, but Regongar cuts it off.

"Emmek, you owe us a good deal for disturbing our patrons tonight! Pay up first, and then we are going to burn this shack down!"

When you approach behind your companions, you see Emmek Frewn, a middle-aged man with light blonde skin and fair complexion, alone in his inn, huddled at the bar, looking both confused and scared to death.

- Demand compensation.
- Demand he leaves you alone.
- Destroy his inn.
- Leave him to Regongar and Amiri.
- Something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back