• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Dragon Heist (remix) 5e - Full

Roleplay Type(s)
6J0MXJ4.jpg

Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Alexandrian Remix

You have found yourself in Waterdeep and are in need of work, so to the Yawning Portal you've come. You have established a contact there who may be able to point you to someone in need if you ask, or perhaps the contact has already notified you about a job very recently, withholding the details but telling you to meet them in the tavern that evening.

Famed explorer Volothamp Geddarm will ask you to take on a simple quest. Little do you know that Waterdeep's next Grand Game is brewing. You will compete against various factions within the city, but only time will tell if you will crack Neverember's Enigma and reap the reward.

That Social Contract

Obey the laws of this fair realm, known as RP Nation, lest ye incur the wrath of the gods.

Accepting a total of four, maybe five players.

Newbie friendly!

Be nice to everyone.

Understand the difference between IC and OOC. Try to keep metagaming to a minimum and also try not to take IC things personally. Also understand the difference between doing what your character would do and being a griefer. Let's steer clear of the latter, eh?

Fair disclaimer: I'm pretty new to DMing, hey, but bear with me and I'm 97.9995% certain we'll get through this intact.

Be able to spell and wield grammar well enough that people can understand you. Be comfortable writing at least a solid paragraph or two.

The expected posting rate is discussed in the next section.

Characters are expected to generally cooperate with each other. That doesn't mean there can't be conflicts or that they have to forfeit acting in self-interest, based on the group's comfort, just that they need to be willing to work with the party.

I'll try to keep railroading to a minimum. The intent is to give the characters opportunity for personal things within or around Waterdeep.

Any post formats are welcome as long as they are mobile-friendly.

Write in third-person, please!

Gameplay Guidelines

Some of this may change as we play! We'll discover what works for us and what doesn't and adapt accordingly.

How Posting Will Work
The plan is that roleplaying will be conducted in two-week rounds. This means that I, as the DM, will make a post, and all players will have at most two weeks to respond. Within reason, which player posts when doesn't matter so much. Character A may post first one round, and Character B may post first the next.

If all players respond earlier than the allotted two weeks, the next DM post may happen sooner.

If a player is silent within that time, they will be skipped and the next DM post will happen. The intent is to keep things moving, and being skipped should pose minimal consequence; the player can simply pick up from the most recent DM post. However, being skipped two or three times in a row will be grounds for being kicked from the game, though that player may be welcomed back if they are certain they can spare the time.

If a player knows they lack the time or creative energy to post before those two weeks, that's okay! They can summarize to the group what their character does and we can account for it accordingly. It's also okay to ask to be skipped if you feel there isn't much your character can do/provide within a given round.

Leveling
We'll be using milestones.

Players may roll for their increased HP, and if the result is lower than the static increase, they may take the static one instead.

Combat
Initiative is just going to be the order in which people post within a two-week round.

If a player is silent through the allotted time, their character will take the Dodge action.

To speed up combat, drinking any potion can be a bonus action.

Instead of two dice rolls, critical damage will instead be one dice roll plus the max damage of the weapon/spell. This might not apply to enemies, at least not until the characters are sturdier.

To hopefully lessen the clunkiness, I will make the enemy's AC and HP public. Feel free to write in your character's hit/kill/miss once you've rolled for your attack. When an enemy is required to make a saving throw, you may roll for them, or I can roll it for you so that you can finish your post.

Other
I as the DM will make all death saving throws in secret. Gotta make things thrilling! Understandably, this requires trust, and when it's over, I'm happy to reveal the dice rolls to the affected player.

Otherwise, DM combat rolls will be public. Come whatever may.

Track yer shit in your inventory. Arrows and spell components should be accounted for. Rations and waterskins won't be as scrutinized since you're in a city. You can spend money to keep yourself nourished.

Character Creation

If you have questions or want input, lemme know.

To newbies: I recommend sticking to the core races and classes since you can more easily find that information.

To everyone else: No homebrew or Unearthed Arcana. No Ravnica stuff. Otherwise, as long as it's an official PC race/subclass and you can link me to the information, it's cool.

Ability Scores
We'll be using the point-buy system. You can spend up to 27 points. Doing so can get you arrays like the following:

15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8
15, 15, 15, 8, 8, 8
13, 13, 13, 12, 12, 12

ScoreCost ScoreCost
80 124
91 135
102 147
113 159

ScoreModifier ScoreModifier
8-9-1 16-17+3
10-11+0 18-19+4
12-13+1 20+5
14-15+2

Race
Racial bonuses can be modified using the following rules. Just be sure to mention to me what you're changing!

Any ability score increase granted by the race can be applied to a different ability. If the race has more than one score increase, they must still be applied to separate abilities. For example, a half-orc's default score increases are +2 Strength and +1 Constitution. You can switch the +2 to Dexterity and the +1 to Wisdom, but you cannot make a +3 Dexterity.

Most races have at least one language they speak in addition to Common. You may swap out those languages for others.

You may also swap out proficiencies like so based on type:

Skill for a different skill
Armor for a simple/martial weapon or a tool
Simple weapon for a different simple weapon or a tool
Martial weapon for a simple/martial weapon or a tool
Tool for a tool or a simple weapon

Alignment
No chaotic evil. Anything else is fine, but keep in mind that your character is expected to coexist with the rest of the party.

Other
Establish at least 2 personality traits, 1 flaw, 1 bond, and 1 ideal.

In the sheet, you may omit information from the backstory 'cause secrets, but please PM me the unredacted version.

The adventure hook is that your character is looking for work, so they have come to the Yawning Portal. There are a few ways to skin this cat, one being that there may be a familiar face at the tavern who you think can inform you of any jobs. You might be actively seeking this contact, or a couple hours ago, the contact might have notified you of a job through some means, not disclosing details but telling you to meet them at the Yawning Portal that evening. Or, maybe the contact is a friend of an acquaintance, or maybe your character is a tagalong of another, and that character is the one with a contact in mind. Or you could be at the tavern by chance, though that option might have the chance of not going well, depending on what your character will do. We'll work out these details as the would-be party forms, just keep it in mind as you're deciding on a concept.

Character Sheet
Please post your character sheet in this thread for review, or PM it to me.

You may use any sheet format that you want as long as it contains the necessary information. Try to use one that's mobile friendly. One option is presented below.

Creating the sheet in D&D Beyond is an option, too. Please join this campaign if you do. (I don't have any books to share there, sorry.)

Code:
[center][img width="300px"][/img]

[size=6]Character Name[/size]
[size=4]Race | Class LV1 | Alignment[/size][/center]

[tabs]
[tab=Stats]
[B]HP:[/B] current/max | [B]Hit Dice:[/B] xdx | [B]AC:[/B] x
[B]Size:[/B] x | [B]Speed[/B]: x | [B]Vision:[/B] x
[B]Proficiency bonus:[/B] +2 | [B]Passive Perception:[/B] x

[B]Ability Scores[/B]
[table=none]
[tr]
[th]Strength[/th] [th]Dexterity[/th] [th]Constitution[/th] [th]Intelligence[/th] [th]Wisdom[/th] [th]Charisma[/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]x (+/-x)[/td] [td]x (+/-x)[/td] [td]x (+/-x)[/td] [td]x (+/-x)[/td] [td]x (+/-x)[/td] [td]x (+/-x)[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

[B]Saving Throws[/B]
[table=none]
[tr]
[td][B]Strength:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Dexterity:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Constitution:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Intelligence:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Wisdom:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Charisma:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

[B]Skills[/B]
[table=none]
[tr]
[td][B]Acrobatics:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Animal Handling:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Arcana:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][B]Athletics:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Deception:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]History:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][B]Insight:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Intimidation:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Investigation:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][B]Medicine:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Nature:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Perception:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][B]Performance:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Persuasion:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Religion:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][B]Sleight of Hand:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Stealth:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Survival:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

[B]Weapon Proficiencies:[/B] x
[B]Armor Proficiencies:[/B] x
[B]Tool Proficiencies:[/B] x
[B]Languages:[/B] x

[/tab]
[tab=Special Abilities]
[B]Racial Features[/B]
x

[B]Class Features[/B]
x

[B]Background Features[/B]
x

[B]Feats[/B]
x

[/tab]
[tab=Weapons & Armor]
[row]
[column=span2][B]Weapon[/B]

Name here[/column]
[column=span2][B]Attack Bonus[/B]

+x[/column]
[column=span2][B]Damage/Type[/B]

xdx type[/column]
[column=span2][B]Properties[/B]

x[/column]
[/row]
[row]
[column=span2][B]Weapon[/B]

Name here[/column]
[column=span2][B]Attack Bonus[/B]

+x[/column]
[column=span2][B]Damage/Type[/B]

xdx type[/column]
[column=span2][B]Properties[/B]

x[/column]
[/row]

[row]
[column=span2][B]Armor[/B]

Name here[/column]
[column=span1][B]AC[/B]

x[/column]
[column=span2][B]Penalties[/B]

x[/column]
[/row]

[/tab]
[tab=Inventory]
[B]Money[/B]
CP: 0 | SP: 0 | EP: 0 | GP: 0| PP: 0

[B]Equipment[/B]
[row]
[column=span2][B]Name[/B][/column]
[column=span2][B]Quantity[/B][/column]
[column=span4][B]Description[/B][/column]
[/row]
[row]
[column=span2]x[/column]
[column=span2]x[/column]
[column=span4]description or link to description[/column]
[/row]

[/tab]
[tab=Spells]
[B]Spellcasting Ability:[/B] x
[B]Spell Save DC:[/B] x
[B]Spell Attack Modifier:[/B] +x

[B]Cantrips[/B]
[i]Name[/i]
School of magic | Casting Time: x | Range: x | Duration: x | Components: x
Description

[B]Level 1[/B]
Spell Slots: x/x

[i]Name[/i]
School of magic | Casting Time: x | Range: x | Duration: x | Components: x
Description

[/tab]
[tab=Background]
[B]Age:[/B] x
[B]Height:[/B] x
[B]Weight:[/B] x

[B]Appearance[/B]
x

[B]Personality Traits[/B]
x

[B]Ideals[/B]
x

[B]Bonds[/B]
x

[B]Flaws[/B]
x

[B]Background[/B]
x

[B]Backstory[/B]
x

[B]Additional Info[/B]
x

[/tab]
[/tabs]

Last edited:
As a fellow DM who has made less for an interest check I am shocked that nobody has taken a bite on this yet. It seems pretty well thought out. The critical hit damage is scary, as I have played Dragon Heist / Welcome to Waterdeep and know of a few 1HKO early game monsters that can take down a L1 fighter. I myself am content with what I have for roleplays thus far, but I will readily admit that this is very enticing to my eye, and hopefully others' eyes too.

Thanks for the kind words! It did cross my mind that the modification to critical hit damage could be pretty deadly at level 1. It's the most tentative alteration of all the ones written above. I might scrap it. I might apply it to the players only, at least until the characters are sturdier. Or I might let the characters start at level 2 or grant more HP to start with. Just waiting to see what kind of characters come aboard.

Love the idea! Quick question — I’ve actually DMed a Dragon Heist run (kinda; it fizzled out somewhat early on), so I’ve read the book, though I’ve forgotten about 80% of the information. I’d love to jump in if we can get enough players, but I want to make sure it’s OK if I do (I wouldn’t re-read the adventure, and of course I’d refrain from metagaming based on the little I do remember). Totally understand if you’d only want folks who are going in blind!

Love the idea! Quick question — I’ve actually DMed a Dragon Heist run (kinda; it fizzled out somewhat early on), so I’ve read the book, though I’ve forgotten about 80% of the information. I’d love to jump in if we can get enough players, but I want to make sure it’s OK if I do (I wouldn’t re-read the adventure, and of course I’d refrain from metagaming based on the little I do remember). Totally understand if you’d only want folks who are going in blind!
That would be fine! This will stray from the original published material just a bit anyway.

Really, how has nobody jumped on this? Dnd games normally fill up frighteningly fast. But I can try and throw my hat in the ring to help you get this show on the road!

I normally would have jumped in but the fact I just started with characters on two other dnd games and the fact we have 3 new dnd games on this site in such a short time might of taken interest away from this game lol

I normally would have jumped in but the fact I just started with characters on two other dnd games and the fact we have 3 new dnd games on this site in such a short time might of taken interest away from this game lol
Yeah. I guess I can see that would certainly make a difference. Still! More DMs is always a good thing.

Well, upon some thinking. I believe I might try my hand at a genie patron warlock.

Sorry for the silence the past couple of nights! I got a little busy.

It looks like we got a warlock on the way and a sorcerer, and a third interest! There are 1-2 more spots for anyone else who may be interested.

Here's my draft character (via DnDBeyond)! I'll send you the backstory stuff via a PM.
Very nice! I love the backstory, too, and will respond to your PM in a little while. Can you join this campaign with him?

Well, upon some thinking. I believe I might try my hand at a genie patron warlock.
They sound like they would be fun! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. If you have any questions or anything, just lemme know!

I'll throw my hat into the ring as well!
Lovely! Is there a certain race and class you're thinking of?

They sound like they would be fun! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. If you have any questions or anything, just lemme know!

Well! Going with a classic "i dream of Jeannie" approach.

A poor fisherman comes across a deserted island and finds a lamp with a genie imprisoned within of which he freed. Not knowing what he got into, he finds himself in a pact with the clingy and troublesome genie. The genie, while good-natured, tends to be a bit... overenthusiastic.

Sure. He has himself some cool powers now, but the headaches she causes does make him reconsider if it was worth it sometimes.

Nothing edgy here!

However! One thing I was considering. Maybe when he freed the genie he got some wishes. One being for magic (the warlock pact). The other would be that he wished he was a noble of the city. His wish was granted and now, a la Prince Ali (fabulous he), he's a noble in the city! However he needs to keep the genie secret, lest his new world come crashing down.

A Sparkling Zombie A Sparkling Zombie Thoughts?

Well! Going with a classic "i dream of Jeannie" approach.

A poor fisherman comes across a deserted island and finds a lamp with a genie imprisoned within of which he freed. Not knowing what he got into, he finds himself in a pact with the clingy and troublesome genie. The genie, while good-natured, tends to be a bit... overenthusiastic.

Sure. He has himself some cool powers now, but the headaches she causes does make him reconsider if it was worth it sometimes.

Nothing edgy here!

However! One thing I was considering. Maybe when he freed the genie he got some wishes. One being for magic (the warlock pact). The other would be that he wished he was a noble of the city. His wish was granted and now, a la Prince Ali (fabulous he), he's a noble in the city! However he needs to keep the genie secret, lest his new world come crashing down.

A Sparkling Zombie A Sparkling Zombie Thoughts?
Sounds like a good time! Shenanigans are fun. I think him becoming a noble that way is fine, and we can work with the genie being a secret. Looking forward to seeing the sheet!

Race:Hero
class 1 a
Are you familiar with D&D?

Sorry for the silence the past couple of nights! I got a little busy.

It looks like we got a warlock on the way and a sorcerer, and a third interest! There are 1-2 more spots for anyone else who may be interested.

Very nice! I love the backstory, too, and will respond to your PM in a little while. Can you join this campaign with him?

Lovely! Is there a certain race and class you're thinking of?
Soooo I've got a couple, so I am going to pitch them all to you and the rest of the group (so chip in y'all):

My first idea was a Shadow Monk for sneaking about, cause ya know heist. I figure they're going to a sliver dragonborn and have just a bit of edge, as a treat. I think the ice breath would be pretty cool with shadowmonk stuff. Motivated primarily by greed and pride, but they have a professionalism to them. They're slightly reserved in temperament. There is this strong predatory undercurrent to them, but overall they just come across as being very mercenary.

Then I figured I could import one of prexisting characters, go for the tiefling evocation wizard. She became a wizard to learn how to cast fireball - and that's a pretty good indicator of her personality. They like blowing stuff up. Pretty easy going most of the time though and fiercely loyal to her friends. They have a pet bat.

Then I was looking through the subclasses added in Tasha's and came across 'The Oath of Watchers' and thought it could cool. They're a paladin so they'd a front liner to contrast with the warlock and bard we already got. (Though they'd also be a charisma caster funnily enough, 5E is infested with them). The subclass is not very interesting mechanically but the flavour's neat. It has good story potential. The whole 'finding out about and guarding against extraplanar threats' shtick could make them suspicious of the other two party members - or it could be why the are working together. Like, okay so you used a genie's wish to make yourself a noble but, fine, I won't tell anyone if you prove yourself worthy of the title and help me with my job. Or maybe she (I leaning towards she with them but not settled on that yet) could be like Epono's sibling and be like "Oh hey! Brother, long time no see." and then gasp, shock, horror! "Why you have been tainted by the far realm!" (I don't know what your backstory is, so I don't know if this fits or not.) Personality wise, they'd be fairly straight laced and no nonsense. Not one for social niceties.

Or human inquisitor rogue. Ya know for the investigation and stuff. Just a normal human, I thinking they'd probably look like Looker from Pokémon.

Or what about another wizard! (I have a wizard problem.) A divination one, oh maybe they could be like a Yuan-Ti pureblood, and have this whole snakey aesthetic. Be all like mysterious and cryptic. And sssnakey...

Stars Above Stars Above All of those sound fun! I would suggest maybe the monk, paladin, or rogue to round out the party, but if the sorcerer and warlock of the group are cool with it, I'm certainly okay with the party being very magic-heavy.

Stars Above Stars Above
I think the wizard sounds pretty awesome. Not just because I greatly fancy bats and fireballs and tieflings!

But also because the thought crossed my mind of the fun we can have being a magic heavy party.

Thank you both! And yes, being magic heavy part could be fun! Tbf the rogue is only one who is completely nonmagical, Shadow Monks have bunch of spells they can cast on the party to improve stealth and Paladins are half casters (plus Oath of Watchers has a bunch of utility spells). Though that isn't really going full magic. I mean can anything really compare to the glorious wizard and it's four hit points?

So let's do a bit of ranked choice voting! Put them in order of most liked to least liked and I use that to decide which to do!

The choices are:
  • Sliver Dragonborn Shadowmonk!
  • Tiefling Evocation Wizard!
  • Oath of Watchers Half Elf Paladin!
  • Human Inquisitor Rogue!
  • Yuan-Ti Divination Wizard!

is the monk using one of the new dragonborn races from the fizban book? the chromatic and gem dragonborns look cool. Chromatic with the 30-foot line that is 5 feet wide breath weapon and a damage immunity to their selected type for a minute at 5th. Gem with the psychic ability, limited one minute flight at 5th, and the better damage types (radiant, force, psychic, thunder, or necrotic).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back