• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Dragon Heist (Completed)

Go to the Theatre already.
A depressed groan escaped the half-elf as she accepted the stone back into her life. Those were the only important and viable options she'd had other than the strange councilwoman that had initially approached them. Guess that decided things.

"Ah, thanks for the help anyway," Iselas admitted with a tired sigh, waving goodbye to Varja as she went. "Guess we're going to have to see that weirdo after all." Iselas muttered grumpily down to the stone in her hand as she exited the tower, heading for the theatre with a heavy heart of resignation. Though, it was a little hypocritical to call anyone a weirdo considering who Iselas was and what she got up to.

ArkhamHorror_WardTheater_MarkMolnar.jpg

Seven Masks Theatre is in the Dock Ward and it caters to a lower-class clientele, where ship captains and sailors are admitted for free.

When you arrive, somehow mysteriously, all doors except the ones leading backstage are locked, no matter how hard you try to push. It is like someone is herding you in the certain direction on purpose.

You slip to the back only to see actors and stagehands bustling about and the director arguing with the playwright while the stage manager looks on helplessly. On the stage, actors walk through their scenes and read their lines to a mostly empty theatre.

Watching the rehearsal from the front row while smoking a pipe is a man you don't know.

c78b657867542a6e7e265fef59b57ecb.jpg

On the stage, the lead actress, a seventy-something old woman is giving a pretty convincing performance. Her gaze falls on you and she gives you a kind smile, continuing to recite her monologue.

Councilwoman Lareal is nowhere to be found, or at least you cannot spot her.

- Approach the man.
- Approach the actress.
- Wait for Lareal.
- Something else.

Last edited:
Approach the man.
Wide, curious eyes roamed over the interior of the Seven Masks Theatre, taking in the bustle of people and the general atmosphere. All of it felt unfamiliar and strange to Iselas who had never been inside such a building before. So, when she failed to recognise the face of Silverhand in the crowd she went for the nearest choice available to her. The old woman on stage appeared occupied with her performance, so she settled on the man smoking his pipe.

"Excuse me, sir?" Iselas opened with a hopefully charming smile. "Could you please help me? I'm looking for someone."

"Hello, Iselas. I know, you are looking for Lareal." The man says through smoke the moment you address him. He smiles at your surprised expression. "She told me to expect you." But you never told her your name. He stands up and shakes your hand. "My name is Rongquan Mystere, I am a member of the Lords Alliance and here to speak for Lareal. Well, I am also the owner of this theatre, so I was the most convenient representative, it's not like it's my only duty." His smile is very charming and his demeanour polite, when he asks you directly. "Did you recover the Stone?"

- Show it to him.
- Don't show it.
- Ask about Lareal.
- Ask something else.

Don't show it; ask about Lareal.
A heavy feeling settled in Iselas' chest, something that felt suspiciously similar to distrust. The entire situation made her vaguely uncomfortable, and the fact that Silverhand wasn't here only made matters worse.

"The stone has been recovered," Iselas confirmed, unwilling to reveal it in such a public and open space. "Though, if I may, what is your relationship to Lareal?" She probed, a little curious as to whom she was dealing with exactly.

"I see, you don't trust me." Rongquan nods. "Understandable. I am a member of the Lords Alliance, a group that serves the Open Council directly. Lareal is a busy woman, but she will be glad to hear you've done your work." His smile doesn't falter as he exhales a cloud of smoke. "You say you've recovered the Stone, but I do not feel its presence. Are you completely sure you have the right one?"

- Show him the Stone.
- Ask something else.
- Attack him.
- Leave.

Show him the Stone; ask something else.
Distantly Iselas wondered whether Rongquan's title as a member of the Lords Alliance was intended to intimidate her or comfort her. If anything it just made her trust the man even less; as was her tendency when confronted with authority. Again, at his prompting she failed to retrieve the stone to show him, though her hand did curl around it protectively.

"I'm not sure as I've never seen nor felt the Stone before," Iselas admitted, head tilted to the side as she scrutinized the man. This time she actually withdrew the Stone, unfurling her fingers enough to give him a demonstration. It was clear that she didn't want to hand it over. "Have you seen it before? Felt it's presence?"

Ronquan waves his hand dismissively when you show the Stone to him.

"I know what The Stone of Golorr is, and that is not it. It looks believable enough, no doubt, but that is just a piece of painted rock." He frowns, but it turns into a smile quickly as he steps up to you and places a hand on your shoulder as if to comfort you. "My friend, don't be discouraged. The wind is blowing in our direction! Lareal didn't entrust me with simply delivering the stone to her. We've expected it to go wrong. But, no matter, we can still get to the bottom of it."He explains. "I've learned that Fenerus Stormcastle was arrested by the City Watch for theft and taken to a courthouse in the Castle Ward to face the judgement of a magister. No doubt he hid the Stone before his capture. You must speak to him right away. You'll need to devise some sort of ruse to get close to Fenerus. I urge against violence, or you might find yourself locked up beside him." He spoke like it was a already a done matter.

- Ask why he doesn't do it.
- Agree to work with him.
- Pretend to agree.
- Refuse.

Ask why he doesn't do it.

Iselas wondered how Rongquan could be so confident in his assessment when Renaer, and even Varja, had not been. Still, all three individuals she'd consulted had agreed that the Stone lacked it's supposed presence. That much was certain.

Tension immediately flooded her body when the man patted her on the shoulder, his instructions seemingly decided upon already. Unfortunately it wasn't like Iselas had anything better to do and she wanted to find the real stone.

"Alright," Iselas agreed hesitantly, eyes still narrowed as she assessed him. "Though, shouldn't you be the one to visit Fenerus? Clearly you know more about the situation than I do."

Rongquan laughs at that and shakes his head, "It would be politically unwise for me or Lareal to be seen in a courthouse, negotiating with a man who has committed heinous crimes against the city. Ah, but, you don't need to worry about that, my friend. You are an unknown!"

- Agree to work with him.
- Pretend to agree.
- Refuse.

Pretend to agree.

Iselas shrugged one loose shoulder; she honestly couldn't care less about their political manevours. Neither Lareal nor Rongquan seemed clean. In fact, she imagined that their hands were just as filthy as everyone else's. Still, she wasn't going to say directly to his face now, was she? Somehow she imagined that not going down terribly well.

"Sure," Iselas agreed with a smile that didn't reach her eyes. "For the good of the city, right?" Again, she really doubted that.

"For the good of the city." Rongquan nods and grins, and for a moment he looks familiar to you, but the feeling passes soon.

--

thief_4_conceptart_MVfJR.jpg

When you visit the courthouse that day, you are met with bad news. The clerk at the reception informs you that you cannot just stroll in and speak to a prisoner. You have to make an appointment with the magister to get their written permission to speak to Fenerus. But the meeting cannot be scheduled before midday tomorrow.

That is the legal way to do it, however there are plenty illegal ones. You could get yourself arrested on purpose or try to infiltrate the courthouse by wearing a disguise or using a spell, or just outright sneak in. You could also ask Renaer to pull some strings to get you in. However, the courthouse is well guarded at all times and being caught in an illegal act would carry a severe punishment.

- Choose what to do.

Last edited:
Choose what to do: be a goody two shoes.

It wasn't that Iselas necessarily cared nor respected the law -- in fact, all evidence pointed towards the opposite -- but she wasn't about to stick her neck out for people she didn't like nor trust. Which was why she quickly settled for creating an appointment to speak with Fenerus. Besides, she was interested in seeing how much Rongquan and Silverhand would interfere. Would they mind the extra waiting? Would they step in? Iselas didn't know but she was admittedly curious about her so-called 'employers'.

Your meeting with the magister has been scheduled and it's up to you now to decide do you go as yourself, a tavern owner with relations to Grey Hands, but without any prestige, or do you buy a scroll of disguise and try using it. You can acquire it in the shady shops in Candle Lane, or ask Varja for one. If you decide to use it, the question is, which noble do you want to pose as. The ones you've met so far are Renaer, the Grallhund couple, Rongquan and Lareal. Impersonating someone as well known as a member of the Open Council is risky.

- Go as yourself.
- Buy a scroll for 80gp and pose as someone.
- Ask Varja for a spell to pose as someone.

Ask Varja for a spell to pose as someone else: Rongquan.
There was the possibility that Iselas could get into even more trouble going as herself. Which was why she decided to make the executive decision to visit Varja and ask for an identity disguise spell. More specifically an identity spell to change herself into the one and only Rongquan. She wondered how many waves that would cause; especially when he'd told her that he was 'too important' to be seen speaking with such a hooligan.

Varja Blackstaff and Force Grey use the disguise spells frequently in the reconnaissance missions. She trusts you enough not to ask questions and hands you out a scroll with the instructions on how to use it. You can only disguise yourself as someone you've been in recent contact with, or have something of their own on you. You cast the spell in your tavern and hear a plate clatter on the ground, then a notebook float up to you.

That's amazing!, the poltergeist seems surprised and intrigued by your new appearance which must mean that it's working.

--

You make your way to the magister then, striding like Rongquan might, but you can't help but feel a bit awkward in that new skin. For example, now you are a head taller than you were and you carry much more muscle, making your movements a bit too forceful at times.

The magister's office is grand and it contains several plush armchairs and a large walnut desk. The seal of Waterdeep is emblazoned on the wood floor. The courthouse magister is Hester Barch, a kindly looking woman in her late sixties. She smiles at you when you enter and shakes you hand when you offer.

"How can I help you today, sir Mystere?" She asks. You haven't told you your name yet, so she must know Rongquan already.

- Ask to talk to Fenerus.
- Ask for Fenerus to be released.
- Ask something else.

Ask to talk to Fenerus.
"Ah, yes. I have an appointment to speak with Fenerus?" Came Iselas' response, though it was spoken through Rongquan's much deeper voice and slightly different accent. The entire facade felt strange and unconvincing to her, which was why she tacked on a quick smile at the end; one that matched the same one he'd leveled her with in the theatre.

"Fenerus?" The magister gives you an odd look. "Fenerus Stormcastle? That thief we caught a few days ago?" She flips through some papers on her desk before looking up at you again. "He is a flight risk, I'm afraid, and is not allowed any visitors."

- Convince her (roll d20 for deception check).
- Give up.

Convince her (rolled 2).
Now that definitely put a wrench in her plans. But Iselas couldn't give up, not after all the trouble it had taken to get where she was.

"Come now," Iselas -- or, rather Rongquan -- demurred with a more serious expression. "You know me well enough to know that I would not risk my reputation allowing Fenerus to escape his due punishment."

The magister looks at you with suspicion. As soon as you finish speaking she rings a bell set on her table and two knights walk in to stand on either side of you.

"Sir Mystere, you demeanour is quite different today." She nods at her knights and one of them casts dispel on you, revealing your disguise. The magister frowns. "You'd be surprised how many people try this little trick with the spells so readily available in Waterdeep. I don't know what your intentions are, but the punishment for impersonating a noble is a fine of 300 dragons and a week in the cells." She gestures at the knights again. "Take her."

--

Without any ceremony, you find yourself in a cell once again, with your purse much lighter than it was. On the brighter side, Fenerus is somewhere down there, and if you manage to get yourself out, you might manage to get him out as well.

There are two guards in the hallway, one patrolling it and the other sitting behind a table at the far end. The guards have taken your weapons, but your lockpicks were stashed in one of your inside pockets and the guards didn't pat you down thoroughly.

- Unlock the door when the guard is not looking (roll d20 for dexterity check).
- Charm the guard into getting close and steal his keys (roll d20 for charisma check).
- Wait for the sentence to be over.
- Something else.

Unlock the door when the guard is not looking (rolled 2).
"That sucked." Iselas muttered grumpily to herself once the guards had cleared off. The entire ordeal had been a rather nasty surprise, especially when considering that Iselas' identity spell had revealed her true self. Leaning against the cell wall she glanced over the door in silent contemplation. They hadn't taken her thieves' tools and there was no use in sitting around, waiting for her sentence to be over while she sulked.

Technically speaking, she was in the right place; Fenerus was down here too and if Iselas could get herself out then maybe she could break him out too. With that thought in mind she subtly retrieved her tools and approached the door, waiting for the guards attention to be occupied elsewhere before setting herself to the task.

You barely manage to unlock the cell door, but make a lot of noise in the process, so the guard strides over to your cell to check what's happening. He catches you red handed next to the open door, but is startled for the moment and still hasn't raised his weapon.

- Knock him out (roll d20 for strength check).
- Pull him in the cell and disarm him (roll d20 for agility check).
- Give up.

Pull him in the cell and disarm him (rolled 9).
Panicked eyes met the guard's startled gaze as the door to Iselas' cell swung wide open, effectively releasing her. There was a brief moment of clarity that passed between them, one where she recognised that this was Bad News. She had to act quickly. Immediately Iselas reached out, her hands balled up in the front of the guard's uniform as she turned to pull him into the cell. Her other hand snaked down to take the weapon from his person.

The guard stumbles and falls into your cell with a yelp, as you unsheathe his sword and point the blade at his throat. He is a young half-elf who hasn't got much fight in him. Raising his arms up in surrender he looks at you with uncertain gaze.

- Bind him and gag him, then go.
- Dispose of him and go.
- Leave him there and go.
- Optional: take his keys.

Bind him and gag him, then go: take his keys.
Watching as the other young half-elf raised his hands in surrender Iselas offered him a lopsided smirk. One that threatened repercussions for his actions but nothing so extreme as unjustified slaughter. After all, the kid was only doing his job and she wasn't really interested in killing someone who was willing to comply.

Stolen weapon at the ready -- in case of any funny business -- she ensured that he stayed put as she bound his hands and feet. The gag was intended to stop him from calling out for help or drawing anymore attention in her direction. Iselas also made sure to slip his keys from his person -- it'd be quicker than having to pick more locks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back