• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Tamrace would have very much liked to have tuned out the argument if he could. If only it wasn't his job to gather information. And if only the exchange didn't in part concern him. The redhead felt soggy and miserable. Between the snow melting and dampening his clothes, the frosty winds subsequently freezing them, to his limbs aching from so much action happening so suddenly after a period of receiving too little - he was not a happy little man right now. This was not helping matters.

The Scout was attempting to stretch the settling soreness away as topics seemed to switch focus from Ellana to Gar, patiently listening though with eyes half-open. Those immediately opened wide with a start upon Cassandra's fists slamming down on the table. Then the following anger that boiled over from Gar was worse - that made Tamrace briefly cringe, then scowl, the shouting reminding him of the recent arguments between him and Stasia. Tamrace watched as Lelianna ordered for Gar's possessions to be returned. He glared when he saw the Spymaster produced what he assumed was Gar's ring from her well-concealed pocket.

"Oh? Planning to use that as a coaxing tool, yes?" The words slipped out before he realized they danced on his tongue firsthand, not even thinking how his condescending tone laced them in a venomous delivery.

.... Well, it was only a matter of time before all eyes were on him, wasn't it?

For a second time today Lelianna appeared to be getting talked back to dismissively, and for a second time she appeared to take it with an unnerving calm. If she was about to retort, Cassandra beat her to the punch. "And what stake do you have, that makes you so defensive?" As Tamrace furrowed a brow, the Seeker turned her head to the Nightingale. "Tamrace was very eager to shield Gar earlier. And to try, comforting him beforehand."

Lelianna considered that with a nod. "Really now? Hm. And given how they were both first discovered and subsequently accosted..." She looked between the two men, gaze sharp, "Is there a history between you two that you neglect to tell us?"

She posed the question as though the answer was indefinitive, though the pieces seemed to fit. Her thorough interrogation of Gar gleaned no hints that Gar and this odd Freemarcher shared any kind of acquaintance with each other but Tamrace's reported behavior threw the notion off a bit. Would they rather hide their connection in order to block another avenue, another person, they could use to extract information?

This accusation stunned Tamrace. "What? Ancestors, no! I had met him first just moments before you took and trapped us." His barked reply was accompanied with no hesitation, a steady gaze and calm posture, though still midway through another stretch. The man mulled it over. His actions really implied such a thing? He'd only been doing what he thought right; what compassion and empathy drove him to do.... and maybe that was naive of him, to behave as such to who was still quite an acquaintance. Gar seemed good, but did Tamrace really know enough about him to warrant throwing himself at others in the larger man's defense? What if he acted as such towards someone less kind?

....... Well, not as if he hadn't done so, before.....

Lelianna had a keen observance in her expression as he answered, trying to detect a lie in his body language even if his words betrayed no such thing. Coming up with nothing, that was when she decided to procure yet another possession, lifting it up delicately. This was a bracelet. The band was made of tightly woven sinew, and while appearing simple and unadorned with pretty colors there was something braided into it - small bones. And if one took a closer peek, they weren't just any bones. They were human bones. Finger bones to be precise.

That stirred Tamrace, as the Nightingale saw his eyes widen and spark with immediate recognition. And for a glimpse - a look of fear crossed his face.

Shit! How... how could he forget about that?! Perhaps he should be grateful it hadn't been discarded but this meant she seemed to also be holding this as a bargaining chip, like with Gar's ring. And from his momentary lapse in composure, however subtle, he'd just confirmed she'd been right to keep it handy.

"Hm. Very well... but you've yet to explain how you ended up there in the first place. Should I assume that was entirely by chance as well? That you were simply wandering and happened upon Gar?"

Tamrace scoffed. He had to bite his tongue, about to say he'd been scouting the area. But for who, they would've surely asked. Crossing his arms and grimacing, the man was becoming more heated as he thus spoke, staring at his precious bracelet all the while, "Do you think everyone that was near this storm had a hand in breaking it loose?! That they knew it would happen?! By the Oasis Beyond, have we not been aiding your fight these past hours? - why do you still interrogate us!? Agh! Fuck's sake - give her back!"

Last edited:
He scoffed at the initial accusation of knowing Tamrace and then couldn't believe the bullshit coming out of the two mouths right now. All the while they were trying to coerce them to cooperate. Tamrace hit the nail on the head. It was weird he called the bracelet "her" but given his accent maybe it was just a translation thing. Gar stood straight with his shoulders back and looked down. Several here were of size to children to him he could pretend that's what they were as he glared daggers at Leliana specifically.

"You probably think the fade is supposed to have so many demons." he exhaled like frustrated parent.

"No compassion or hope-" he said looking from Leliana to Roderick. "-institutionalized slavery, and where it's supposedly outlawed, people are still treated as slaves."

His eyes met her's and unconsciously drifted to her throat before settling on the ring. His anger making it so tempting to lash out here and now. Take back the ring and even the bracelet before they could smite him. Maybe if he stood closer to Tamrace storm call wouldn't harm the only kind person around. Just then the mark crackled and Ellana cried out in pain. The large man swallowed and pointedly faced the breach.

"Right. Immediate threat." then he looked back at the grimacing elf and motioned to her hand, "Probable solution. Put everything else on hold. My ring please."

The commanding shift in his demeanor and murderous look were noted. Only years of training in the game kept her from show how off-footed she felt by the two men. She cursed inwardly as she plotted a way to regain control of the situation. She needed to bide her time to...

Gar didn't hesitate to grab Tamrace's bracelet at the same time and turn away without acknowledging them further. The bracelet was carefully handed to Tamrace as Gar started his escape towards the smell of food, only pausing to look at Ellana in concern. Solas spoke up from where he was healing her hand. "Time to rest would beneficial before we continue."

Leliana cleared her throat affecting a wary contriteness on her features. "Serah Hanu? Once you have had time to get outfitted I would like to hear your opinions on a matter."

He only acknowledge he heard. Lysette looked to Cassandra then saluted. Gar barely waited before striding towards the campfire surely about to terrify those poor souls. But his magic was in control despite his temper. She was equal parts impressed and exasperated with the stunt her charge just pulled. Essentially calling an end to the meeting while declaring their next course of action. She supposed he really was some noble's brat then.

Last edited:
"Even that great storm is tired of this argument, it seems. Hah!" Tamrace couldn't help stopping this thought when he whipped his head around to see the Breach surge. He scolded himself immediately; the reaction forced from Ellana as her hand flared with magic was far less humorous. His concern was apparent, and he considered stepping over to her, but Solas had been quicker on the draw.

... Heh. There he went again. And yet Lelianna and Cassandra accuse him of knowing Gar due to his outward compassion, when Tamrace would probably run to their aid if they got a damn scrape on their finger! Ancestors....

Whether or not Gar was too heated to notice, he would receive a tired "thank you" from Tamrace, crinkled eyes a note of his hidden smile, as the shorter man was given back his bracelet. While he hadn't quite understood what Gar had been speaking of - slavery and fade and such - he felt relieved that between Gar's words and actions and the breach the conversation reached an abrupt end. His focus affixed to his precious trinket. Cupping it in his palm, his thumb gently glided over one of the yellowed finger bones. He then trapped it within a loose fist and brought it up to where his mouth would be. Closed his eyes, and whispered something in a foreign tongue before finally slipping the bracelet over his right wrist.

Hm. Maybe he should've asked about his other items too. His earrings and hunter's braid. But he didn't feel like wasting the breath; while the earrings might have been a gift from Stasi, and the pleko was important to his role - it wasn't quite as irreplaceable as the remains of a loved one.

Before he decided to join Gar, he looked back at Ellana. Solas was healing her, but...

"I think she'll be alright. Chuckles seems to know what he's doing."

Lost in thought again, Tamrace took a brief gander around before mentally facepalming as he looked down to see Varric standing by his side. Right, oddly small person. "Yes, you are right..."

Within a moment Gar and Lysette would find the two rogues joining them towards the campfire. They were spared their share of looks but not as many as the large mage. Still, it didn't deter Varric from taking some humor from the situation as he looked between Tam and Gar, "Look at the stones on you two! Telling off both hands of the Divine and walking away unharmed."

"Is that so rare? Even if they were Oracles, their lessers have a right to speak up at horse-shit like that." Was Tamrace's irritable response. Finding an open spot at the fire he crouched close and began to warm his gloved hands. He didn't find any particular oddity with him or Gar acting the way they did; tribal rule where he hailed from was more or less egalitarian. There were leaders and laws and such, but everyone had equal right to speak their mind.

For a moment Lysette wasn't sure if she should felt wary of the dwarf's almost insensitive joke or amused. Tamrace was clearly not amused. She changed her mind when Gar and another soldier choked on their food. The man was still laughing between his coughs. Just like that the tension seemed broken. She filled herself a small bowl. Meanwhile Gar had found his voice again.

"Damn it Varric what if porridge came out my nose?" His genuine smile tilted into something else as he had an ugly thought. A fresh fear coiled up in his stomach. He shook his head as if it would dispel the thought of speaking with the Nightingale again.

"Sorry I just- need to focus on the present." He forced a smile on and focused on shoving another spoonful down hoping to bury that fear underneath the weighty weight of porridge.

"So Tam- sorry Tamrace" he corrected, but not with out a suppressed laugh "-defintely has a way with words. Did you hear him when a Terror demon knocked his ass over? This guy- " Poor Gar was not the storyteller Varric was and losing his composure already.

"-still on his back shouts 'Not today motherfucker!' Poor fear demon chose the wrong target. "
--------------------------------------

The rupture of laughter seemed to diminish the tension from Tamrace as well, his taut remark just a second before dissolving into an increasingly steady chuckle. Maybe the humor was contagious, or he just needed an excuse to smile at something. He watched as the others present took their helping of ration and only after he was sure everyone had got something did he move to scrape up whatever was left over. The man unwrapped his scarf so that it was completely pooled around his shoulders and let the steam of the porridge waft over his freckled face. Ahh, warmth...

Though he had not yet attempted to dig in before he realized he had become the center of conversation. He looked around with slightly wide eyes as some turned their heads to him, Varric included, snickering along with Gar.

"Ha! Wanted to make your possible last words some good ones, eh?"

The chill was already flushing Tam's face but sudden bashfulness was showing in other ways, casting his gaze downwards as a teetering smile ghosted his lips.

"Uhhh... yes, I guess." He started. Then he shook off the odd embarrassment he felt. Then he laughed. "That, and it was shrieking. So I felt I needed to shriek at it louder. Stand my ground as the smaller creature and... assert my dominance. Pfft!"

Tamrace had to keep the contents of his bowl from sloshing out as his laugh drew on longer than honestly necessary. Gar's remark was enough to make the reality of the last few hours come crashing down so hard all he could do was guffaw about all this. It was what he usually liked to do in these situations anyway.

".... Bahh, but... to be fair, if not for Solas and you - Garrot - er, Gar - those would have been my last words," Said the Scout, looking up at the larger man. "So my gratitude. Again. I would prepare you for the planned hug but let us see if we survive the next hours, yes?

"Ah - and, you can call me Tam. If you'd like. Much better than Tammy. Much much."

As Tam joked back Gar smiled genuinely, thinking of how a badger would also stand its ground. He also tried to figure out that accent. Special circumstances aside he almost expected an Irish accent to pop out of the man's mouth now that his headwrap was down. The fact it was something more exotic was subtly disconcerting. Gar almost offered to give Tam a hug now. Almost, if not for the fact his composure might crack if he dropped his guard. Instead he smiled softly to his new friend.

"You're welcome Tam. And please- just save Garrot for when you're mad me?"

He leaned over enough to see down into the bowl, "Better hurry and enjoy your bowl before the weather freezes it." The man sighed wistfully at his now empty bowl. The plain porridge was unappealing, but given circumstances he was grateful it wasn't more dry rations.

"Now it occurs to me to put the last of my jerky into the porridge."

As he got up to put his bowl away a scout spoke softly to Lisette. It was too quiet for Gar to hear but he was an expert in reading lips and could do it discreetly. The templar was finishing her bowl with purpose now.

"Good Luck"

Gar said it like he would to any coworker going into a meeting. Leliana probably wanted to hear a report straight from her before the meeting with him. Varric would've noted the tense way Gar held himself as the lady templar left. The other soldiers only relaxing minutely when they spotted another templar move in from outside Gar's peripheral. While they were not staring at Gar anymore neither were they comfortable around the dragon-eyed mage. The mage himself slowly twisted in his seat, causing his spine to pop, he glanced about during the motion before making eye contact with Varric.

"What I wouldn't give for some chocolate and wine to unwind right now."

Last edited:
There was a warm, satisfied feeling that settled in Tamrace as Gar concluded their conversation, listening to the larger man's suggestion and returning to his food. After all - he had just made a friend so he thought! While it's true they have been working together and speaking sparsely since they awoke today, and they'd been steadfast in each other's defense, until now it felt like perhaps it was only interactions borne of necessity. That they'd part ways once their unfortunate circumstances were settled. Now he hoped they'd begin to get to know each other, with any luck, into more peaceful times.

Maybe it was this that made him eat with vigor; or had he just been that hungry? The Scout shared Gar's thoughts about it being bland yet as survival has dictated he's had to eat fouler stuff in his homeland. Other than a quick gander as Gar wished Lisette luck in her leave Tam would allow himself this moment to relax. He needed it, and hopefully would not regret it.

This meant Tam didn't notice the brief tension in Gar - though Varric certainly did.

"If it helps, just close your eyes and imagine we have that at our beck and call, instead of frozen porridge sitting in an even more frozen hell. Ha!" Leaning back somewhat as he chuckled, though it didn't last long, and the dwarf became frankly reassuring, as much as he could at least. "Really though, try not to let all the tension get to you, eh, Sparky? 'Cause that's when you'll make mistakes. Before long we'll hopefully be lounging around eating all the chocolate and wine we want - we just have to go up and push a pride demon and some red lyrium out of the way first." Though Varric's voice soon fell to a murmur as he started thinking about Gar's previous claim of what lied before them in the temple. "... hm... red lyrium, huh? If that's true, then... well, shit."

He shuddered, though from what he couldn't be sure since his magic was once again keeping him warm. Gar knew he had to get ready to see Leliana soon. But he didn't know if she'd call someone else before speaking with him. He looked over to Varric.

"Leliana's going to interrogate me again" he said somehow ,mater of fact, despite the memories the last time he was alone with her. "She did say something about getting outfitted but I don't know how to go about that around here..."

Subconsciously he glanced at Tam's clothing and shuddered again. He didn't have magic; how was anyone bearing this weather?
------------------------------

"Thank you Templar Lisette for coming." She said shifting to sit on the front of the table casually, yet still held herself with a serious countenance. Almost as if she was defensive, or maybe just thoughtful, if one were to guess by her crossed arms.

"I've heard Seeker Cassandra's perspective, but yours would be appreciated. You know of who I speak of yes? I trusted you with Serah.." , she paused as if considering using his proper or preferred name. "-Gar because of all the templars you still see mages as people. Possibly even one like him who has drank of dragon's blood. What do you have to share about him and what happened at the pass?"

Templar Lisette somehow stood even straighter and saluted before she relaxed. She did not quite manage to match spymaster's ease. She was not bard trained afterall but a glance into those eyes she got an impression of how the former bard wanted her to act.

Lisette recounted what happened, factually at first, starting from when Leliana had departed from their group. Then she went to her general impressions of the mage. He was surprisingly sensitive yet opinionated. He listened with an obvious chip on his shoulder like a noble would to their lessers. But even that did not feel quite right in regards to his origins. The bond she saw between him and Tamrace resembled what she thought was forming with the prisoner Ellana: People trapped and determined to break free together. She did not mention the secret conversation she saw but could not hear between Tamrace and Ellana. The secret conversation between him and Gar however was brought up. Somehow Ellana catching wind of that conversation was the catalyst that broke the Mage's will. She'd never heard of a mage showing magic like that, even when out of control, except when possessed. Seeker Cassandra might know more of such situations. Somehow Leliana coaxed her into admitting that even though the storm cloud wings behind Gar had scared her it felt....like grief. A whirlwind of emotions many people were feeling keenly right now. It almost made him relatable. Then he became a stranger again when he referred to them as Thedosians as if he was from somewhere beyond the continent. How...Why would someone like him be here?

Leliana divulged a few things she learned of Gar beyond what Lisette had figured: he was possibly a seer. He was from somewhere from the North and near the coast. He held disdain for the Qun and Chantry in equal measure, there were subtle tells he may have been a slave at one point, or long term hostage, and he had a lot knowledge on seemingly random scientific fields. The spymaster acknowledged she could not really order Lisette to spy for her but would appreciate any other useful information she could pull from Gar in her time has his assigned Templar. Lisette could see a scout move of to fetch someone else the moment she left the tent.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back