Other Doing tarot readings for your characters

MolecularMachine

Fears and respects angle grinders
Hey there! I want to do a little tarot practice, and I like doing spreads for my own characters and stories, so why not share that with y'all? Tell me your character's name and a brief summary of their personality and history and ask an open-ended (not yes-or-no) question about their future or a challenge they're facing. Then pick either a simple or complex spread. Complex spreads offer more detail, but I can get back to you more quickly with a simple spread.

To help me organize the thread, please edit your post after I have given you your reading so I know you've already gotten it. Also, if you read tarot and want to give a reading to someone, claim their post with a reply in this thread. Thanks!

Last edited:
Tally's Reading Follow This Link

She has a big sister who grew up to quickly and had be the mother hen type of personality.

Ex drug dealer turn space pirate that fell on unfortunate times when her husband abandons her to chase his old cult leader. In order to keep afloat she turns back to the drug trade in another system; seeing as her Captain is mentally incapacitated and incapable of doing what is needed. Eventually she does rescue her husband from the clutches of his murderous brother (who found him after his cult leader abandoned him to his drugs and drink) right before the war breaks out. They have a kid within the first year of the war, all while trying to rescue their crew from the big bad, and right before crash landing on a small planet on the outskirts of the systems where the war hasn't touched. They are taken in by a group of Kah Worshipers and they help Tally raise her daughter before tragedy strikes and her daughter at the age of 4 is taken by the ex cult leader . . . (and we haven't RP'd past that!)

Her name is Tally and she would like to know if her daughter will survive to see the wars end and how damaged she will be because of it (and if the end part is too mucky then just the first part of the question).

Preferably not a simply 3 card spread. And can others participate and give our own readings?

Last edited:
AnnJam AnnJam

The bridge of the fortune teller's tiny spaceship is cramped, every spare inch of the walls and ceiling covered with souvenirs from all over the galaxy. The fortune teller's hood obscures their face, but their long hands never disappear as they shuffle the glowing cards. In a few moments, the table is lit up with a celtic cross spread.

Heart: Judgment. Contemplation, completion, and awakening. Perhaps the motive of the kidnapper. He wishes to complete something he started long ago.

Challenge: Justice. Your past wrongs are catching up with you. You must accept the truth in order to succeed.

Past: Two of Swords. A difficult decision with no clear right answer. You have arrived to today from a long string of hard decisions. It may be impossible to know which ones you chose correctly.

Future influences: King of Swords. Confidence, wisdom, perhaps a person. There are two potential meanings. Either you will meet a keeper of order, or you will embody the wisdom and intellect to find the correct path, breaking out of the unknowns of the Two of Swords. The King of Swords is a follower of order and law, holding intellect above emotion. This person will make a decision based on that.

Conscious: Knight of Swords. Speed and immediate action. You desire to rescue your daughter right away.

Unconscious: Knight of Pentacles. Long-term planning. Beneath your conscious desire, you know that rushing in without preparation will backfire. You have the ability to plan the perfect rescue, but you struggle to suppress the need to save her immediately.

Querent: The Sun. Optimism, joy, and clarity. You are not only the protector of your child, but also the protector of her innocence. You want to shield her from the harsh realities you've had to face.

Environment: Nine of Pentacles. Abundance, perhaps to the point of weakness. In combination with The Sun, suggests that shielding your daughter will blind her to reality.

Expectations: Ace of Pentacles. Success.

Outcome: Three of Pentacles. Teamwork and future building.

The fortune teller laces their fingers together and ponders the cards for a while. "You are determined to succeed. In fact, you can imagine no other outcome. You have the skills and knowledge to do so, as long as you keep your wits about you and don't let your emotions overcome you and you work as a team with those you trust. Your daughter may not retain her innocence, but the universe is dark and cruel. Perhaps it is best that she didn't, for her own sake."

Ohohoho, this is interesting!

Dmitri’s read

Dmitri is--in a sentence--energetic, outgoing, reckless, and either the opposite or equal to his sister depending on who he asks. He cares deeply for his family and close friends but is admittedly bad at showing it sometimes and maintains more relationships than makes. He shows his care towards people through concern, which can't be said for how he handles himself. When others aren't on the line, Dmitri is someone who leaps before he looks, doesn't wait for someone to tell him the odds, and shoots first rather than asks questions. A bad combination with someone who cares deeply about what other people think, with the best way to get him to do something is to tell him he can't. He's got a pretty solid moral compass, but also won't hesitate to get someone he cares for it of a scrape, which sometimes conflicts in pretty nasty personal crises.

Basically, in Dmitri's world, magic used to be greatly abundant but has, for the most part, faded away save for rare talent to be nurtured in a few people, some varieties of magical creatures, and in long-running curses/blessings. The lattermost is important to Dmitri's story, with some of his family being cursed as payment for using the blood of dragons as medicine to cure a plague that happened centuries ago. Throughout the years his family has slowly sealed the curse away, with Dmitri and his sister Violet likely not having to worry about any of their children being cursed if things go as planned. But, plot twist, they don't. Basically, his sister did something that not only unleashed her curse but radically increased the potency of it. Said curse basically forces the person to transform into a dragon at random, inopportune times, which can be controlled to an extent, but not one that'll stop Violet from tearing a path of destruction when everyone least expects it. She ran away from home to try and stop herself from hurting her family, and Dmitri has been on her tall. Along the way, he obtained something that could potentially eliminate the curse, but not without taking Violet with it. He doesn't want to have to do anything drastic to his sister, but he also has seen plenty of the problems and destruction she and her curse have caused. Violet is slowly losing herself to said curse, and the last time he saw her she was so out of it that she ended up badly scratching his face. He's split between his loved ones and his morals, now, in a lose-lose scenario.

How can he help his sister?

Any spread is fine.​

Last edited:
FoolsErin FoolsErin

The fortune teller sits at a table in the back of a dingy bar, shuffling worn, yellowed cards. "This is a question," they say, "not of what you desire to do, but of what you will regret the least." They arrange five cards in a cross, ponder them for a while, and then add one more to the left and the right.

Motivation: The Tower. Upheaval, devastation, harsh truths. The Tower heavily weighs on the whole spread, touching each card with its chaos. Its position suggests that you are willing to do what is necessary in order to bring about change, no matter what the cost, and the cost will be steep.

Desired outcome: King of Pentacles. Authority, accomplishment. You wish to embody the authority of someone who is capable of making this decision. You don't want to be some man deciding someone else's fate, but the executor of what is truly right. The King of Pentacles is also the final card in the tarot deck. You wish to bring something torturous and ancient to an end.

Values: Seven of Pentacles. Long-term efforts and family. You prioritize hard work in a relationship rather than shallowness. You would do anything for your family, and you intend to follow through.

Use the cure: Five of Wands and Seven of Wands. A great, protracted conflict. If you use the cure, you will face great struggles. The Seven of Wands indicates that these struggles will come from other people who wish to take something from you, not just within.

Don't use the cure: Six of Cups and Eight of Pentacles. At the surface, this seems like an optimistic prediction of a return to the good old days as long as you and your sister are willing to put in some hard work. However, The Tower still rules over this spread. The darker aspects of these cards warn of a blindness to reality stemming from nostalgia. You may become trapped by the sunk cost fallacy, foolishly believing that if you keep working hard, you can bring back the good times. All the while, your efforts are in vain.

The fortune teller drums their fingers on the gouged table. "So, what will you regret the least? Backlash for your decisive action? Or circling around the drain, pouring your life into a hope that may not come true? Look deep within, to what you truly value. A king's word is law, his decisions absolute. But you have protection from no such throne."

I like this idea a lot, and I apologize if it seems weird that I will post my information in the form of my character approaching your fortune teller.

---------------

Canwr Dihiryn is a very small and lean creature. Pale complexion with short, wild red hair lazily untamed by a brush framing her face like a lion's blazing mane. Her face seemingly frozen with a vicious and skeptical frown. Her left eye has a slight scar to the edge, her iris a rusty red brown much like blood dried against a white wall. Her right eye a dark brown that nearly melts into the black iris.

She wears an unzipped hoodie with a tank top and cargo pants, all dark, muted shades of earth tones. Her black boots well worn - scuffed and stained - the treads of her soles almost worn down.

"Oh. A fortune teller, huh?" She smirks, a hungry grin slithering over her white but lightly chipped teeth. She grabs a chair and uncerimoniously sits down, "Alright? Well, what do you need to know?"

"I lived a good portion of my first life as a sacrifice, barely kept alive until the big night," she starts, skimming over the gruesome and needless details. "On that big night, however," she says with a slightly proud tone. "I remember thinking to myself, 'Why? Why am I like this? Why am I here to suffer for them?' I didn't like the answers I told myself, so I got away. I ran and I ran and I ran until I met a man."

Her smile fades immediately, "He was not a kind man, but he taught me everything I know." She holds out a hand and uses her thumb to dislocate her index finger. "Bone-breaking lets you fit into small holes to hide. Also teaches you how to break others' bones, too. He also gave me my name. When asked what my name was, I responded with the only name I knew: 'Sacrifice.' I remember the laugh he made." She relocates her index finger, then leans forward and says in a thick and deep Welsh accent,"That's not a name. You're Canwr now. Sing for me, Canwr." She leans back into the chair, her frown darkening into a painful grimace. "The world I'm from is not in the closest sense a 'Home.' It's kill or be killed. Eat or be eaten. Nothing magical about that. Then one day, I fell asleep."

A broad smile forms on her lips, her eyes soften so just a small amount of kindness bubbles beneath her expression. "I woke up in a magical place. Full of wonderous creatures and people. Full of friendly rivalry and encouraging friendships. I found out I, too, was magical." She snaps her fingers and a hammock materializes from the ground beside her. She snaps once more and the hammock dissolves as it had appeared. "Yeah, it's not ideal kind of magic, but it has a lot of potential when you put your mind to it. Why, I once put the entire village in a hammock and a geeky tech guy attached an engine to the side and made it spin!" She bursts into uncontrollable laughter for a moment before catching herself and putting on her serious mask again.

"They helped me escape that place. Once I fell asleep in their world, I was back in mine, fighting for my life once again. Dieithryn didn't like my disappearing - the man who taught me to fight. He did this to me," she points to her dried blood brown left eye with the scar. "Nearly took my eye with a hook on a chain. But I escaped him. Thought I killed him."

She looks up at the ceiling, "My friends in the magical world helped me stay there, out if the dangers of my birthplace. I happened upon an egg which hatched a cottage on duck legs that was small and uninhabitable for about a year. Then after about three years, something affected my house and turned it into a child."

She laughs, dropping her head at the irony, "Me. A mother! Can you believe this?! I was homeless and now raising a little girl with my hair with duck legs! My friends gave us shelter, though. Helped me raise her, taught me when I did something wrong."

She frowns, "Then I find out I have a sister who's ten years younger than me and about to face the same fate as a sacrifice I nearly had. I had to go back. I had to save her."

Her eyes darken, "Dieithryn had his hand in the whole thing. Nearly killed the both of us. But I got away. I think we killed him this time. Viaxiera, my sister, now lives with me. She more gentle and loving to Cotta, my daughter. She's a better mother than I can ever be, but she still insists I'm the best."

She leans forward, "So, tell me, Fortune Teller. If your abilities are not a crock."

"Is Dieithryn still out there? Did he survive my attempt to kill him once again? I need to know. To protect the only people who keep me separated from the monster that screams to eat you and everything I see."

Can Helsing Can Helsing

In-character format accepted and encouraged.

-----

The fortune teller shuffles a deck of vibrant, pristine cards. Their hood obscures their expression, but a smirk sounds in their voice. "A deck of cards is not a spy. It is a mirror. It lets you look into a fragment of a potential future and what you will do there. As you look into that future, you look into yourself. Whether what you find horrifies or delights you, it is then up to you to make that fragment your true future or to fight against its manifestation."

The fortune teller draws a card from the top of the deck: Nine of Pentacles. They place it to the side and fan out the deck to build a celtic cross spread.

Heart: Queen of Pentacles. Nurturing, home, prosperity. You have built a home for yourself and become a dependable, nurturing force for the people around you. The home and relationships you have built are now your first priority.

Challenge: The Chariot. Self-discipline, ambition. Your goals of survival and defeating your adversary still weigh on your mind, stunting personal growth and compassion. You struggle to fully adapt to a domestic life.

Past: The World. Completion. You have recently closed a chapter in your life, and now you must move on to a new one.

Future: The High Priestess. Intuition, serenity, inner voice. In order to succeed, you must listen to your subconscious, not just your logic. Calm the racing of your mind and seek inner wisdom.

Conscious: Two of Swords. Crossroads, difficult decisions. You don't know whether or not to act, as either choice has consequences if you choose incorrectly. You can't have all the facts until it is too late to act.

Unconscious: Page of Swords. Truth, messages, communication. Something must be said-- either to you or by you. It may be uncomfortable or feel naive.

Querent: Three of Swords. Trauma, depression. The pain from your past lives on within you, and it has the power to harm those around you. Your challenge, The Chariot, threatens to use that trauma against your allies.

Environment: The Hermit. Isolation, introspection. Perhaps you are cut off from those who may help you. Or you may believe isolation protects you, but until you trust in the intuition of the High Priestess, you aren't using an isolated environment to its fullest potential regarding self-discovery.

Hopes and fears: Six of Cups. Happiness, childhood, naivete. You desire to finally be relaxed enough to let your guard down, but relaxation creates vulnerability.

Outcome: Knight of Wands. Action, movement, enthusiasm. Suggests the arrival or development of a person with youthful energy. If it's not someone you already know, then it may be a new ally.

The fortune teller taps the Nine of Pentacles with a finger. "In this fragment, you have already won, but you believe you haven't." They tap The Chariot. "Your fears get in the way of enjoying and experiencing everything that's already in front of you. If you search your heart and allow yourself to heal and become softer, you will grow into your motherly role. Nurturing your child and friendships will draw in more allies and strengthen the ones you already have. That way, if adversity does come knocking, you will be better prepared to overcome it."

Tarot Reading~

Had to try the IC thing myself since I’m shite at describing personality; it’s a character from a Star Wars RPG, but I tried to keep the terms loose rather than oriented in that ‘verse alone.

--

It was yet another whim of Octavia Tarkin as she stepped into the spaceship, finishing up dance practice on another planet with her frenemies, to save the galaxy from mutual enemies. The dancing had been fun, all in preparation to walk into a trap of a masquerade at the Crown World. With magic already in play, and herself woefully lacking in space-wizardry – but many ways to halt it – she thought it could be beneficial to look into someone who could tell the future.

After all, what more could it hurt?

Omega had found the tarot reader for her, and now the blind-in-eyes-only (or rather, lacking eyes entirely since birth) alien led her to the room with the reader, and shut the door behind them. He would stay there, ever the favored guard of the Imperatrix herself, a part of her elite Pride, of which only three remained.

“I suppose you’ve already been told about me,” Octavia said, the woman taking a seat across from the fortune teller. Her attire covered her form, hiding the scars that would have otherwise been seen from a brutal past – a gash at her thigh from falling off a cliff, another set of three across her abdomen from a beast she slaughtered in the wild and bought an alliance with other animals though, a third – visible at her neck as a white line from a betrayal ages ago. The fourth of note was truly many scars all along her left leg, covered under a tattoo of a serpentine dragon, the very thing which had caused those scars, and among the many things that led to her home world being impossible to return to.

Her enemies had seen to it that her home was little more than a polluted and devastated mess.

“I was told you’d need to know a bit about me, so,” she shrugs, “I’m Octavia Tarkin, Imperatrix of these forces. My parents are dead…accidents,” and yet it’s obvious that’s not all, the truth being suicide in both cases, the perils of politics, loss of other children, and heartache, “and I’ve been dealing with a war for ages now.” She skips over her past, a childhood of two siblings, both dead. She skips over her time in the Academy, of dreams she had that weren’t tied to just dealing with petty galactic bullshit.

In the end, it was always going to be war, anyways. She’d known about it since she was a toddler, for her grandfather had told her as he was losing his sense of self to old age. She’d always known where she would be, that it was as unescapable as anything else.

Well…it had one escape.

Though it was mostly a cold war of gathering intelligence and resources, while preparing for it to break out. “We thought we had it won,” a general of the other side defected, after multiple fights, both verbal and physical between the pair, and another of the space wizards also turned their side after they had nowhere else to turn, “but now we face an unexpected foe who’s set a trap which I have every intention of walking into. After all, I needed an excuse for a new dress."

It’s playful, the smile, the tone, no hint of fear.

She’s always done well at being confident, but the lack of fear is certain: like her parents, she harbors several hundred death wishes. Unlike her parents, she’s had many people get in the way of achieving those, leading to increasingly unsteady and unstable plans that people continue backing.

That keeps seeing results.

Even if many think the streak will one day break – and even if she longs for the day it will.

She picks up the cards to shuffle the deck, to add her own energy to it, “So, now that I have the dress, and everyone knows their role, I just need to know what needs to be considered in this war. What I should keep my eye out for, what will help to lead us to victory, things like that,” a sly smirk, “I hope that’s not too tall an order for you. I’m sure we can keep it to a simple spread, right?”

Last edited:
Lucyfer Lucyfer

The fortune teller receives the deck back from Octavia and fans it out. "Perhaps a simple one indeed. Best not to worry about too many details when you're walking into a trap, hmm?" A small, shaggy creature slinks out from under the table and hops up onto the fortune teller's lap, watching with wide, yellow eyes as three worn cards line up in front of it.

Past: The Sun. Prosperity, joy, friendship. There's something you've learned or gained during a happier time. Hold on to it now, and it will become useful to you soon.

Present: King of Swords. Confidence, authority, ideas. This card likely represents a person you already know, someone who is capable of cutting through to the truth and setting emotion aside. Take their advice and trust in their intellect. Perhaps that person is you, and you must refuse to let emotion cloud your judgment.

Future: Two of Swords. Crossroads, denial, difficult decisions. You will come upon a decision which has no clear answer, or for which all the pertinent information cannot be found. Perhaps it will be your own denial that obscures the correct answer. Perhaps it is the work of someone who wishes to keep you (the fortune teller pauses, their head cocking up just a hair at the eyeless alien, then back at the cards) ignorant.

The fortune teller strokes the creature's back. "Draw upon the strength of your happier memories, but be careful to not let emotion cloud your judgment. Allow the knowledge of those around you to be your guide, especially when you are called on to make difficult choices. Do not discount the possibility that someone-- perhaps yourself-- could be deceiving you."

-----------

A lot of swords in these readings, especially the two. I swear I'm shuffling this deck thoroughly.

Oml this looks soooo cool! I love tarot, but I'm still new at it, so I can't wait to hear the reading of someone more experienced! I would love a five-card spread, please. Btw I am so sorry for how ridiculously long my character info got; that was way more than I ever intended hahaha. Ghost's reading.

Ghost was born into the lap of luxury at the top of high society, the only child of parents who were new money and had cultivated their own success. However, unbeknownst to him as a child, his father’s business practices were corrupt, and when his father’s insurance company refused to compensate its clients who were victims of an out-of-control, almost citywide fire, there was a large public outcry. Shortly afterward, Ghost’s parents were murdered in a home invasion before his eyes supposedly as retribution, by victims of his father’s dubious decision, but Ghost has always privately suspected this to be a cover-up story for an assassination job by one of his father’s political rivals. In the wake of his parents’ deaths, when the ledgers to his father’s company were examined, the corrupt business practices were revealed in a huge scandal, and as such, Ghost was denied just about all of his substantial yet illegally-earned inheritance.
With no one else to turn to, his ex-nanny took pity on him and took him in; however, no one would employ her due to the reputation of her previous employers, and so the two of them were soon near destitute. Ghost was twelve at this time, too young to work a job, and unsure if anyone would hire him anyway once they discovered who he was. Thus, he adopted his current pseudonym and took to thieving. He became quite a natural at it: pickpocketing, break-ins, you name it. While living on the streets, he never explicitly joined with any one gang, working more as an independent contractor whose services could be hired for a price. This often got him in trouble with various gangs for working both sides of the fence. Ghost also has an incredible knack for playing cards, using his sleight of hand skills to cheat so that he is always in control of the game and in a position to win, if he so chooses. Undercutting the gritty glory of his world-class thievery is an unhealthy flirtation with a drug known as lull, which is almost ridiculously addictive and kills most users within a few short years due to its deadly nature. He is now eighteen years old.
* * *​
While polite and sophisticated on the surface, this is little more than a facade for the demon who lays beneath. Once provoked Ghost is a vicious opponent who will stop at nothing to see the score settled. Despite his preference to keep his distance from others, he is powerful, quietly aggressive, and unshakably confident in his own abilities. He is not the impulsive type; rather, Ghost understands the concept of delayed gratification well, and he will wait and plot and calculate until opportunity comes along. That way, his opponents are usually the instruments of their own demise, and he's just there to land the killing blow and collect the spoils. However, the second that he detects a threat or feels backed into a corner, he will lash out without hesitation or mercy. A ruthlessly competitive individual, Ghost tends to view everyone as the enemy, or with the potential to become so. More often than not, he doesn't know when to hold back, and as such, he's prone to hurting those closest to him, which has reasonably become one of his biggest fears. He struggles to reveal his inner vulnerability, making friendships a challenge.
Despite his capacity for tyranny, Ghost has a soft spot for underdogs and the helpless, and he will leap to the defense of those who have been wronged and fight courageously on their behalf. He obsesses over justice, vengeance, and questioning the man in charge. Although he believes that humankind is inherently evil, he is a cynical idealist, dreaming of creating a more just and equitable society where no one lives in fear or poverty, where there is no strong and weak. If good intentions pave the road to hell, well then, why can't bad intentions create the path to heaven? He's very much a vigilante, taking the law into his own hands when it doesn't fulfill his wishes. What with his gifts for strategy, organization, and articulating his passionate beliefs, Ghost makes for a natural (if somewhat reluctant) leader adept at swaying others to his cause and getting the job done. Or, if one chooses to side against him, he will become one's deadliest opponent. Take your pick.

Due to conflicting morals, Ghost is considering breaking his contract with his current employer, in which he is supposed to spy on and collect potentially deadly information on a few individuals who don't matter much to him, but matter greatly to a girl who's close to him. His current employer is a very wealthy, elite member of society, who uses his money and power to bully others into getting his way, and Ghost can't help but despise the man. However, due to his contractor's immense power and resources, breaking his contract might cost Ghost his life, or even the lives of his few friends, including the aforementioned one who would be hurt by his continuation with the contract. However, Ghost has never been overly concerned with doing the right thing, and can't help but feel somewhat foolish and overly sentimental by letting his morals get in the way of his work. What would be the likely outcome of breaking his contract in this instance? Is it worth the risk? Additionally, Ghost is rather new at trusting people; is he wrong to let his affection for this girl factor into his decision-making process? He fears nothing more than her getting hurt either by him or as a result of her association with him, and is sometimes tempted to alienate her before she can become so.

Last edited:
Aviator Aviator

The fortune teller sits in a private room in a club lit only by neon. Fog and the booming bass from outside creep in under the door. Long hands lay out cards illustrated in blocky gray shapes with splashes of cyan, yellow, and magenta.

Motivation: Three of Wands. Enterprise, partnerships, cooperation. There are allies to be gained from either choice, each coming with their own benefits and drawbacks.

Desired outcome: Six of Pentacles. Generosity, community giving. Ideally, you'd like to be able to offer help to someone you believe deserves it.

Values: Seven of Pentacles. Hard work, long-term success, rewards. You've built a name for yourself in your career, and you're not one to discard that lightly. However, you also see the value in cultivating long-term allies.

Cancel the job: Three of Swords. Loss, heartache. Cancelling the job will end in tragedy, despite your best intentions. People with far more resources than you are plenty willing to punish you just for its own sake.

Continue the job: The Hierophant. Institutions, tradition, corporations. Continuing the job may earn you favor or even a place within an established institution.

The fortune teller folds their hands on the table. "I think it looks pretty clear, don't you? You shouldn't cancel your contract, but neither do you have to abandon your allies. Curry favor with your employer, and work from within the system to help the one you care about."

so his name's Eita Hanada, hes an adorable ghost boy.

Very shy and reserved, but grows closer to people as they show kindness to him. He avoids contact with people unless he has a boyfriend, who he usually loves to touch. He refuses to change other people’s emotions unless both he and they agree that he should. He can often act like a clean freak and a mom. He loves cats, sweets, cooking, mokke (from the anime i made him for), and cleaning and hates haircuts, scary people, and everything dirty

50 years ago when he was alive, he was bullied ofr being gay and looking like a girl, until he eventually commited suicide in the Home Ec classrom at school (get sad every time i type that). Now he stays in the classroom he died in, using the ✨ magic ✨ of tactile empathy to make sad people feel better

so will he be happier later on in the story?

AAAND the "are you ready for love" spread here

Last edited:
This is my first time trying out reversed cards because I borrowed a friend's deck for this one and it was already shuffled that way. I'll also preface this reading by saying that I select cards from all over the deck, so it was definitely mixed enough.

------

The fortune teller sets down their backpack in the empty classroom, takes out their deck of cards with gold foil detail, and shuffles it. They pick a desk and lay out the spread on it.

What you want: Ace of Cups, reversed. The Ace of Cups is a card of new beginnings and emotional fulfillment, but reversed, its potential spills out. Your intentions may be pure, but something is keeping you from being sincere.

What you learned: Two of Cups, upright. Unity, partnership. You have learned the concepts of unity and understand what a relationship means for both its members.

What holds you back: Three of Cups, reversed. The Three of Cups is a card of friendship, but reversed, it speaks of harmful aspects of groups. Are there people in your life who are affecting you negatively? Are you conforming or perhaps isolated?

Heart readiness: Six of Swords, reversed. There is some unresolved issue or emotional baggage holding you back.

Mind Readiness: Ten of Wands, reversed. You are holding on to responsibilities that you must learn to share with others.

Spirit readiness: The Tower, upright. Disaster. Your spirit is in upheaval, or will be if you jump into a relationship prematurely.

The fortune teller wrings their hands at the cards laid before them. "I would strongly advise against entering a relationship until you learn to relate to others as friends first. Come into your own as a person and find your true place among your friends, and then you will know when you are ready for love."

What a fun idea!

Frank's character pages

chico-1419477-1553128529.png

The cowboy turned bounty hunter didn't usually go in for this type of thing, thinking it nothing more than a way of bamboozling decent, hard-working folks out of their money. But he also had a few extra dollars burning a hole in his pocket, a couple shots of whiskey burning a hole in his good sense, and a lot of years of failure burning a hole in his heart. So he entered the tent.

He sat down and took off his hat, running a hand through his slightly greasy and thinning blonde hair. "uh... howdy..." he started uncertainly. "Don't rightly know where to start. I been driftin' for awhile now - ever since I lost my Caroline back in '58 - looking for the man that killed her. Been from Mississippi ta Texas twice and up ta Wyomin' and I ain't ever found nuthin' but rumors and dead ends. Sometimes it feels like I been chasin' a ghost."

He paused and rubbed at his mustache, something he did when he felt uneasy. "Some buddy's a mine keep tellin' me ta stop lookin'. Ta let it go. And, lemme tell you, some days I sure am tempted. But then I think a Caroline... takin' her last breaths and I just..."

He paused. He wasn't even sure what exactly his question should be. He fiddled with the edge of his hat... on the verge of asking for something akin to permission to stop this fruitless search. But even now, over a decade later, the promise he'd made to his late wife stopped him. He'd promised her justice. Quitting was not an option he'd allow himself.

"How do I find the mudsill?"

The Answer

Last edited:
This actually seems interesting! I've settled on an OC, but I have a quick question: how do I make the link that sends you to the reading? I wanna get that figured out before sending a description!

This actually seems interesting! I've settled on an OC, but I have a quick question: how do I make the link that sends you to the reading? I wanna get that figured out before sending a description!
Oh, you mean like how to link to the post that contains the card reading?

Alrighty, here we go! Keep in mind this is my Avatar OC. Also, feel free to ask for more of a description!

Much like any Earthbender, Chun embodies his element. Stubborn, headstrong, and independent. But he differs in several ways. For one, he’s incredibly rebellious, and has a general disdain authority, mainly due to never having a father figure in his life, and the feeling that he was never enough. He’s also not very spiritual. He never needed to know how the spirits worked or what they did while in the slums, and he doesn’t much care for it. He’s grounded (no pun intended,) and just wants to be...something. He doesn’t like how he had no choice in being Avatar, and how his destiny was decided for him. He's also...not the best at processing his emotions and feelings, or really expressing this to others.

Chun, from the moment he was born, seemed doomed for failure. The result of a tryst between a Fire Nation noble and a lowly Sandbender, Chun was raised in the slums, his mother running a small store to support her son. The boy was always an outcast. He wasn't a Sandbender, his lighter skin and green eyes were a testament to this. But he certainly wasn't an Earthbender. Sandbenders were considered second class citizens in the Earth kingdom, due to both their past as nomadic raiders, and the general stereotype of them being shifty and untrustworthy. And without a guiding figure in his life, it was a no brainer that Chun would turn to delinquency. It was never overly bad. The worse it got was petty thievery, usually food or money form merchants. He was sort of a local celebrity, with a few merchants making good money correctly guessing if the guards were after him or an unrelated incident. In the end, he felt like he had no choice. He'd just end up wasting his life in the same slums he was born in, same as everyone else. This was his way of rebelling, or trying to be something before he died. Little did he know, his chance to be something was coming.

It all started with the Avatar. Avatar Fang had just been publicly announced. He was a real golden child. The heir to a prominent Earth Kingdom family, he was smart, humble, loyal. Everything an Avatar should be.

Except he wasn't the Avatar.

After the death of Avatar Korra sixteen years prior, a small faction within the Earth Kingdom's government, who would eventually refer to themselves as the Nationalist Party of the Earth Kingdom saw the impact the Avatar had. One teenager had caused more social change in a few years that a dozen people could do in their lifetimes. The Avatar was a beacon of hope, people would follow them. And if they were to, say, be told what to do, they could be used to enact whatever change was needed. So, a scheme was hatched: by rigging the process used to normally locate the Avatar, it would lead conveniently to the son of one of the Party's founding members, an idealistic young lad, ready to serve his country, and willing to do anything, if convinced it was for the greater good. Fang was simply a tool, in the end, to replace the current regime with the Nationalist Party, and once again institute the Earth Empire,

And who was the true Avatar, you may ask? Well, it was none other than Chun. He found this out a week after Fang's introduction as Avatar. He was returning home when he was approached by two men. Normally, this was bad news. But this felt...different. They weren't Earth kingdom, that's for sure. One of them looked Air Nomad, the other from one of the Water Tribes. Secondly, they simply wanted to ask him a few things. Chun reluctantly agreed, and brought them inside. The Water Tribesmen ushered Chun and his mother into a small clearing behind their home, unfolding a blanket to reveal about forty random, small objects, all laid out neatly in rows. Chun was told to pick out four of these objects that he'd like to have. At first hesitant, he eventually relented, and picked his items. his hands seemed to move on their own, as if he knew exactly what he wanted. He chose a wolf's fang, a golden fan, some kind of Fire Nation hair piece, a handful of small marbles, and some sort of necklace. When asked why he chose them, Chun answered honestly: he didn't know why. He simply did. That's when they dropped the bomb: he was the Avatar. They'd missed him due to Chun not having any brith records, which could have made finding him much easier. He was offered a chance to come with the two men, travelling the world and fulfilling his destiny to become the Avatar. Chun was...torn. While he finally had his ticket out of the city...he'd also be leaving his mother behind. Not only that, he didn't even know who or what the Avatar was, much less their responsibilities. But it seemed he didn't have much of a choice. And off he went, to become the Avatar.

The next two years were quite a ride. Along for the trip was his own Team Avatar, consisting of Amaruq, a gruff, largely built Waterbender, thoroughly not impressed by Chun's attitude, Kai, an Airbender who hid his insecurities of being unable to have children with his wife behind a laid back demeanor, Yuka, Amaruq's niece and apprentice dealing with the trauma of her mother's death alongside her distant father, Pengfei, an eccentric thief with a penitent for Sandbending, and Hengfui, the heiress of a Fire Nation noble family determined to make her own way in the world. Chun never felt comfortable being the Avatar, the weight of his role and the expectations brought upon him weighing heavily on his conscience, alongside his failure to stop both the oppression of the Sandbenders, as well as a massive war. Chun believes that if he weren't the Avatar...he'd be no one. He'd have no future, no purpose. And he hates it. He hates how everyone treat shim differently just because he can talk to ghosts. This is compounded with his insecurities making him unable to properly deal with his emotions, including his growing feelings for Yuka.

Despite all of this, with all his flaws and all his baggage, Chun has potential, potential to become the Avatar the world needs, and become the best version of himself.

Rusty of Shackleford Rusty of Shackleford Did you forget to add a question? Also, click the "share" button at the top right corner of a post (three circles connected by lines to make an arrow) and you'll find its permalink.

CorralDust CorralDust

The fortune teller's tent is dimly lit by the sun trickling in through pinpricks in the fabric. They wear a hat with a long, black veil, and a coat that sits somewhere unplaceable between a lady's riding jacket and a man's overcoat. Long hands shuffle cards illustrated with fine etchings. "Dowsing for a person, hmm? That's tricky. I don't suppose you have a personal effect of his. No matter." They flip the deck over and search it for a card: the Knight of Swords, which they place in the middle of the table. Then, they shuffle the deck a few more times and place four cards around the Knight of Swords and one of top of it.

What he's feeling: The High Priestess. Dreams, intuition, spirituality, inner voice. He is accessing inner wisdom, spirituality, or intuition.

Who he is with: Ace of Wands. Beginnings, energy, wit, new ventures. A fresh group of allies looking to start something with enthusiasm and cleverness.

Physical location: Death. (The fortune teller pauses and drums their fingers on the table. "I will return to this card in a moment. Don't get any ideas first.")

Where he is planning to go: Eight of Cups. Change, journeys, moving on. He is setting off toward something unknown. In combination with The High Priestess, this journey is likely a spiritual one.

Advice for you: Justice. Decision-making, honesty, reason, truth. Cut through to the truth of the situation and make a decision with your intuition and your intellect as equal partners.

The fortune teller returns to the Death card. "Frequently, tarot readers have to correct misconceptions about the Death card. It is not a terrible omen of catastrophe; that quality belongs to The Tower. However, its position in this spread is very particular: the target's physical location. Considering the "spiritual journey" theme present in The High Priestess and the Eight of Cups, I am inclined to believe that, this time, Death may actually mean death. The Ace of Wands may be the psychopomp taking him to the afterlife, and Justice may mean that his judgment may have already been passed down." They rest their elbows on the table and lean forward. "However. There is one other interpretation, this one applying the established meaning of Death. Death is a card about letting go of the things that hold you back. It is about cutting away gangrenous flesh, weeding, setting down heavy things that no longer help you. This man has gone to God, whether or not his body still walks this earth. I wouldn't immediately search monasteries, however. The Ace of Wands can be a trickster. Perhaps someone is deceiving him." They tap the Justice card. "Either way, seek the truth. You'll know what to do."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back