• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dogs of Direhold (Dice)

Who's ready for the game to start?

• Me!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Super me!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Other
Here
"Semper Vigilo"
c7ecddfdbfb1ab24a0897b10082f4a07eae9f324_hq.jpg

Brother Venn
Order of the Vigilant Shroud

Venn mused as Loroc sidled back to his tent. 'This man does not think of himself as a great warrior, and he speaks as though he may not have complete faith in his own talent which is so obviously considerable to everyone around him. Is this some sort of modesty on his part? I certainly hope so, as a warrior monk he stands as the pinnacle of what a mere man may aspire to be, and his talent would easily overcome even the strongest opponent. It seems that even this bold and brazen man may not be without some semblance of self doubt.' Venn thought privately to himself. The underlying fears of a man of such worth causing him to realize his own fears. For he was unaccustomed to working with others and having them depend on him. In the past he had always worked alone or with very small groups of brothers from his own order. He had always known that the consequences of failure would not affect anyone save himself. Thinking now that some small misjudgment on his part could mean the death of another. He did not relish the thought.

Determined to do everything he could to give them all a greater chance of success, he strode over to the Sergeant of the Guard and his men. "I would prefer to take the path by which your scouts have gone missing, but should a second infiltration team take the underground path waylaid with traps, I would like the opportunity to speak with them and assess their strengths. I also offer any wisdom that may be needed. Were I not so adamant on finding your missing troops, I would go with them myself. However I could not bear the thought of a needless death if I could have prevented it. Of course your men will volunteer where they may, but the underground path requires those silent of foot and quick with devices, as well as one who is adept at pathfinding. I would recommend the ones with these talents take this path. Any others brave enough who refuse to wait for the opening of the gate will be welcome to accompany Loroc and me into the tower.

He waited patiently for either the Sergeant to assign men to the task, or, preferably, for them to volunteer of their own accord. He looked at the faces around him and...'Wait, is that an owlbear? Nevermind.' He hoped the sight of bravery and initiative would inspire them, and himself to success. He looked over to Ethinius as well as he said this. "It would please me if you joined us as well. Though I understand your beast may not be of prime use in such tight spaces, should we succeed in opening the gate, we will surely give them such a distraction if as they turn to flee from the advancing army, they run precisely into the jaws of a behemoth. Wouldn't you agree?" A rare smirk pulling at the corner of Venn's lips as he painted the picture in his head.

'Seriously, who brought the owlbear?'

Last edited:
Sergeant of the Guard
young_captain.jpg
Race: Half-Elf
Mood: Irked

Tohnas Veldregen
Liason to the Dogs of Direhold

"I feel like we're running low on ideas if we're telling me and my men how to do their jobs." Tohnas remarked curtly, "If nobody else has anything to say, we'll just have to settle for laying siege to the gate while two teams infiltrate the keep. I'm assigning Wynnter, Boulder, Miwkaos, and Thad to be the secondary team. Time is sort of a priority here, so don't go out of your way to save those scouts if it's going to get in the way of the mission. I'd love to have them back, but there's no guarantee they're even alive and we don't know where they are. It's a diminishing returns sort of task, so it's not something we can focus on until after we have the fortress. I repeat, DO NOT look for the scouts."

"That's an order." He repeated, pointing a finger squarely at Brother Venn, "There's a lot more at stake if we fuck this up."

"Get some sleep and prepare to attack in the morning; there's nothing left for me to say here." Tohnas finished, turning on his heel and leaving the Dogs and his soldiers at the fire to talk amongst themselves. Maybe it was the stew giving him this headache or the fact that men had already potentially died within days of the Sergeant entering the Astral. Listening to some young buck monk talk so frankly was also really fucking frustrating, somehow. Normally he liked earnest speakers, but something about the tail end of that conversation got on his nerves Who did Brother Venn think he was, anyway? Maybe it'd just been a long day. Some sleep would put some much needed distance between Tohnas and his thoughts.

Last edited:

Ethinius Hillmire

5104857df7caf73a19c1e033aed4bb64--fantasy-male-fantasy-soldier.jpg

Ethinius Hillmire
Astral Summoner

Ethinius stayed himself for a while, thinking to himself and observing the conversation, with his mind on Brother Venn. "Wow. Now that's a man worth following. I mean, look at him. We've just got here but he's already taking control, and offering wisdom and insight. And he's obviously concerned with the lives of everyone here, I mean, he's already checked me, ha. I actually would have charged into the castle too, but thinking about it now it seems silly. He feels like a true leader. I guess I've got a lot to learn, from him and everyone else here. But they seem like a fun bunch, a people I would enjoy staying a while with." As his mind strayed further and further, Brother Venn suddenly called out to him.

"It would please me if you joined us as well. Though I understand your beast may not be of prime use in such tight spaces, should we succeed in opening the gate, we will surely give them such a distraction if as they turn to flee from the advancing army, they run precisely into the jaws of a behemoth. Wouldn't you agree?"

"What? Oh yea, that would be a worthy spectacle, haha! I guess I'll see you and Loroc see you in the morrow. I look forward to taking back Direhold!" He replied with some measure of bashfulness, offering an ungainly farewell to retreat to his tent and prepare for the next day.​

Last edited:
"Semper Vigilo"

Brother Venn

As the men all walked into their separate abodes to bed down for the night, Venn gazed towards the fortress they would take tomorrow. He saw the torches blazing on the ramparts and the glow of lights coming from within. 'If I can see their fires burning then they can surely see our bonfire blazing in this darkness. I will keep a vigil over the camp and watch for any attempt at surprise attack tonight, for surely they must know that we plan something.'

Venn put the fire out and let his eyes adjust to the darkness as he sat at the head of the camp, facing whatever enemy might meet them head on, stretching out all five senses into the night.'Even should no relief come, and needs I persevere throughout the night, it is no matter. For that has always been my charge, constant vigilance through adversity so that others may live even should I fall.' And so there he waited, the paradigm of his mantra: Semper Vigilo. Ever alert and ever ready, so that these men may sleep in peace, and be ready for the battle that lie ahead. May the Gods protect them and the Goddess keep them warm.

A Dark and Brooding Night Passes...

As the nightly patrols made their rounds amidst the rows of sleeping tents lined along the crumbling bridge, only Brother Venn seemed to notice an omen forming in the starry Astral night sky; dark, ominous clouds were beginning to slowly swirl and churn into existence above Direhold. It was almost as if the Astral could sense the coming bloodshed and it's black, swollen eyes were ready to rain over the floating ruins and wash away the stains of a battle.

Being experienced with the arcane arts, however, Brother Venn no doubt knew that the sudden appearance of clouds in a place without any real inclement weather could mean one thing: foul magicks were being called to Direhold. Many soldiers would toss and turn that night, as if dreaming of nightmares while dark movements played in the air above.

As the universe turned, the dark night eventually gave way to a wet morning;​
Strangely enough, it had begun to rain... salt water?​

Last edited:
Sergeant of the Guard
young_captain.jpg
Mood: Resolute

Tohnas Veldregen

Tohnas had woken before the morning came, as it was his ritual before any battle to be prepared before the sun lit the battlefield. As the night slowly became day despite lacking a sun, no doubt a construct of the magics that bound this plane together, the Sergeant felt a strange calm slowly trickle down from the back of his skull to the bottom of his feet. There was something about being completely ready while his soldiers had just begun to prepare for the invasion that made him feel at ease. He liked to be first at everything. After a momentary word with his squad leaders who would help coordinate the battle, Tohnas made his way through the salty drizzle to the Dog's tents to brief them about how the operation would go. His soldiers had already been instructed about this siege long before this day, so he had no worries about telling them what they already knew; it's what they'd been drilling and preparing for, after all.

"Wake up, Dogs! There are trophies waiting to be claimed this day and I will tell you how to seize them!"

Player Action Required Tohnas needs to brief your characters so he can begin the siege. Be sure to include your combat stats beneath your pictures so that it's easy to do battle calculations without looking back at your character sheets. I left a nice example on the first page. Loroc's setup is also a really good example of how it should look on the side. Double check your numbers too, remember that your starting bonus for everything is actually 0 so you should have next to no bonuses to anything yet!

Get ready to gut some fish/crab/squid people, my dudes.

Spirit Monk

muscle_wizard_by_gauntes-d88wq3b.jpg
HP: 11 (22/22)
AHP: 0
ATK: 4 (+0)
DEF: 3 (+0)
MGC: 1 (+0)
SPD: 2 (+0)
Loadout 1: (1H/1H) [4d8*2]
Loadout 2: (1H/1H) [4d8*2]

Brother Loroc
"Focus, breath, and SICK FLEXES."

Loroc woke early to begin his morning routine. He quickly ran through his morning workout and meditation before bathing and changing clothes. Aside from some slight unease that took slightly longer than normal to work through during his meditation, Loroc noticed little in the way of stress over the coming battle. His years of training and experience in combat helped him find a sense of ease and confidence before battle that he relished. After checking in with a few of the men to see what the plan was for the assault he went to find Tohnas to be briefed on what the course of action was for the siege, as well as what his role in the overall battle would be.​

Last edited:
Sergeant of the Guard
young_captain.jpg
Mood: Surprised

Tohnas Veldregen

"Ahh-- it's... Brother Loroc...?" Tohnas replied slowly, his squinting eyes betraying his surprise, "I'm going to be pretty fucking honest man,
I thought you would be the last person to get up. I know that you're fit and strong and everything, but you're still, uhh... old. I'm used to my elders sleeping in a little bit on account of their old bones and aching joints. What on earth are you doing up so early? In fact, I'd wager you're just as ready to wage war right now as I am, you seem wildly awake and ready right now."

"Not that I'm complaining or anything." he quickly added, "Just surprising, is all. I guess we'll have to make some awkward small chat before the others arrive, huh?" Speaking of waiting, how could so many adventurers possibly sleep through an entire battalion of soldiers noisely running about, slapping on clanking armor, and rushing through breakfast? The Sergeant was almost positive the fish people suspected something was up on account of the weather and the strange lack of patrols walking along the tops of the fortress, so at least he knew that they had ears of some sort on their ridiculous looking heads.

'Must be mercenaries to sleep through this nonsense.'

"Semper Vigilo"
HP:9(18/18)
AHP:0/0
ATK:3(+0)
DEF:4(+0)
MGC:1(+0)
SPD:3(+0)
Loadout 1:(4d8+0)x2
Loadout 2:(4d8+0)x2
Brother Venn

Venn had gotten up quite early that day. He had been sitting vigil all night. He and the other brothers of the Order had been well trained in this. It was a sort of meditation that allowed for one to replenish ones strength and also stay alert to any sort of change around them. It was quite difficult to do for more than a night or two consecutively, and there was no replacement for sleep, but many nights had Venn done this, sat vigil, on the eve of some battle. It had almost been habit for him. But a battle as large as this, and with the salty rain truly waking him, it was a brisk morning indeed.

When Venn finally started moving about, he walked among the camp, making sure that his vigil had not led him wrongly, that nothing was amiss. Aside from the rain, that is. As the soldiers began waking, he instructed them to make certain their water flasks and other sources were safe from the salty spray coming from above. The last thing this army needed was scores of soldiers falling sick mid-battle after waiting stationary for the gate to open. He continued to walk among the men, offering any small wisdoms and advice to aid them in the upcoming fight, when he noticed Tohnas instructing his squadron leaders to their respective areas to truly begin preparations. He saw Tohnas walk into his command tent and Loroc follow shortly behind. He knew that this was the time that he himself should receive instruction.

He looked about for Ethinius, seeing him nowhere but knowing that with all the bustle about the camp he was sure to wake and find them. He proceeded into the tent to find Tohnas and Loroc exchanging small talk, wanting no such transaction for himself, but knowing that it would be inevitable until Ethinius joined them. Venn stepped inside, wishing that the battle could not come soon enough.

Spirit Monk

Brother Loroc

"Ah yes! Sir Tohnas! Actually us elderly folks tend to prefer going to bed early in order to wake earlier as well!" Loroc slapped the younger man on his back in his usual manner. "The Order's morning routine also demands for plenty of rest and an early start, so I'm well used to being up at this time! I have indeed prepared myself for the battle ahead! I look forward to fighting along side you!"

Loroc paused for a moment to let the air settle before he continued. "I guess some measure of awkwardness is inevitable! I did however come here to ask you what my role in the battle to come is however. So if I may suggest, we could start there? I imagine I am to be part of the scouting party that you're sending into the fortress, seeing as my lack of training as a soldier would not lend me well to rank-and-file fighting with the rest of the main force?"

Last edited:
Sergeant of the Guard
young_captain.jpg
Mood: Winded

Tohnas Veldregen

"Oh, it's Brother V--" was what Tohnas was going to say, but he suddenly felt his breathe leave him as a powerful blow to his back knocked it out of him. "Holy fucking shit, dude." the Sergeant wheezed, "Brother Loroc, I do believe you've left a bruise. Perhaps even a stress fracture. I appreciate your enthusiasm like a beggar appreciates alms, but please try to hold back a little. I'm not frail, you're just... so strong..." the words began to trail off as the young Tohnas failed to think of a word that could embody the fitness of these monks.

"Ahemm... anyways... Brother Venn, it's nice to see you. A little birdy on patrol told me you stayed up all night, but I honestly couldn't tell. It's good to see you alert and stable as well. All we need now is the ever eager Ethinius and I'll begin explaining..." Tohn's hands slipped into a pouch to reveal a parchment crammed with writings and drawings, "...this battle plan, which I've spent a good hour or two carefully annotating and leaving ample cliff notes. To explain the annotations, of course. But don't worry, this won't be exhausting to explain. Oh! And then I've even left this neat little miniature map of the wider area as well as a small glossary of unusual verbs I used..."

As the Sergeant spoke, his words carried a strange enchantment that turned whatever he was explaining into a wordless noise that numbed the mind and caused an unusual glazing of the eyes.

It was going to be an exhausting meeting.

Ethinius Hillmire

Ethinius Hillmire
Astral Summoner

Ethinius had slept more comfortably in that night than he had in ages. He went to bed with a smile, but unfortunately it had turned into a gaping mouth dripping with drool by the morning time. It was not a flattering sight, though the depth of his slumber were surely enviable. He awoke to the pitter patter of rain against stone and tents, the rustle of armor, conversation and preparation. He was so disoriented that he thought he'd managed to sleep through the attack on the castle, "By the Gods, they've probably gone without me! Surely they tried to wake me and found it impossible, resigning and beginning the assault!" he thought to himself while frantically donning his armor.

His movements were so frenzied and rushed that all around could hear him thrashing in his tent trying his hardest to get ready. When he had finally had his equipment ready, he sprinted out of his tent and yelled, "Oh goodness it's raining!" and sprinted back in. A watching soldier joked to the others, "A've ne'er seen a man get 'is armor on, before even wakin' up!" ending in a hearty laugh.

Ethinius called upon Minorias, and he appeared from a great cloud just in front of his tent. Ethinius slowly walked out, and Minorias extended his head above him, following him wherever he went, giving a small rumble with each step. Ethinius spotted Tohnas, Loroc, and Venn all near each other and decided to head towards them, waving along the way. "Good morning, Dogs! My rituals are complete, armor shined, sword sharpened, mind hastened, implement attuned, and I'm quite ready to attack a castle! How about you fellows?" he said slightly jokingly, as if to imply that he had spent all morning getting ready.

Last edited:
Sergeant of the Guard
young_captain.jpg
Mood: Winded

Tohnas Veldregen

"Excellent, Ethinius! I was beginning to wonder if you'd make it." Tohnas exclaimed cheerfully. He clapped his hands together in delight before continuing, "We have all the Dogs present-- Let us begin the strategy meeting. I have a lot of notes, but I will try to be brief. To add onto what the scouts told me before, our enemy is a tribal race of crab and fish people. Some of them are more or less human-like and capable of their rudimentary speech while others are seemingly devolved and closer to beasts, yet they all manage to live together somehow. Could be an olfactory thing, friendly smells in layman's terms. We were wrong before, they do appear to be a little smarter than we had guessed the day prior. We think they've figured out how to use the fortress's defenses, so this siege may be more dangerous than anticipated."

"We've been constructing small siege weapons to attack the gate with while you Dogs sneak into the gatehouse." Holding the battle plan in his hand for everyone present to see, Tohnas unfurled and straightened the scroll as best as possible before beginning the lecture again. "I'd make them bigger, but we don't think the bridge can sustain the weight all in one place, hence the small number of soldiers present. We'll suffer more losses, but we do have the manpower and equipment available to take the fortress by force should you all fail. Many of our soldiers are experienced war fighters and we've agreed we can break into the gate or climb the walls to get in, so it's just a matter of minimizing losses."

"There's always the chance that we fail, but we can always get reinforcements later if need be. We have to take Direhold no matter what, so the Great Union is willing to give us everything we need to succeed, even if it's further down the line."Here's a detailed explanation of the fortress as the scouts have best pieced together..."​

Warning: Cutscene/Time Skip Tohnas is going to brief you and then the battle will begin shortly after that. While the fighting rages on, the Dogs will easily be able to sneak to a point where they can safely travel to any of the points outlined in the cutscene. Use the OOC channel to talk this over! I'll message you on Discord with the group dice roller you can use for the battle.

Last edited:

The Battle of Castlebridge

Despite the boring warning signs, the battle plan was simple for the Dogs; the soldiers form up and begin assaulting the wall at range while the Dogs are secretly escorted with a heavily armored group of soldiers who will be transporting "siege equipment" to the gate before "retreating". Once there, they will be free to make their way to several different locations to infiltrate the gatehouse. Using a compilation of old records and speculation from the scouts, the following routes and dangers were revealed below. Be warned, these are only projections; the actual experience in any of these pathways may not match the projections at all. Also, this is not the starting post, merely the meeting. The battle will start shortly after. The pathways below:

Corroded Iron Grate
(Long route, minimal danger)

While booby trapped, this lengthy pathway was unguarded when the scouts went in and the traps are ancient, so it's not impossible to assume that many of them don't work at all or that the fish people already triggered them. One of the biggest dangers you face is getting lost; without an exact map of the tunnel system, it's entirely possible to end up further away or much closer to the gatehouse than anticipated. There may even be old chambers filled with tantalizing treasures that may distract you from the objective as well. Who knows what sorts of monsters may wander the ruins, too? Maybe the fish people were avoiding this place for a reason...​

Crack in the Tower
(Medium route, moderate danger)

While the scouts may have disappeared in this location, it is estimated that they did not succumb to a great number of hostiles and also that taking this route won't be any better than the others for finding them, even though Tohnas warned you not to look for them. It's certain that this section of the fortress is being occupied by fish people and also that they may be guarding this location if you enter through here, but the siege should ensure that the defenders are quite limited, so do not be dismayed. You may also face traps and magic once inside, so be on the guard for anything to happen!​

Storming the Wall
(Short route, maximum danger)

We're attacking the walls and the fish people are defending against us while on top of them. You're going to be directly in the thick of it if you take this route. It's almost a suicide mission, but a success here would be legendary and songs would certainly be sung of the heroes who swiftly took the wall. Expect heavy resistance if you decide to storm the wall, but also expect extraordinary accolades for the victors! This route will be perilous, but you will save a great many lives if you can pull it off.​

The faster you open the gatehouse, the better your quest rewards will be! However, there will be many temptations along the way that will potentially offer fantastic items or levels that could make up for the difference, but you will sacrifice the lives of good men and women that are fighting for the good of all. If/when the gatehouse is opened, you will quickly join the battle and fight the boss in the Battle of Castlebridge. After that, the day will surely be won!

Choose wisely, Dogs!​

Last edited:

Sergeant of the Guard
29ea3b96f5ea3195fbdde897e476f8ea.jpg
Mood: Afraid

Tohnas Veldregen

"...and that's basically it." the Sergeant explained while neatly folding up the scroll. The whole meeting took roughly fifteen to twenty minutes, but even the Sergeant knew it was a lot of information to take in. Time was of the essence and surely they knew that everything at stake fell on the Dogs. The tension was almost palpable, at least for Tohnas. "I know this is a lot of pressure, gentlemen." he spoke softly, "But it's the best shot we have at taking the fort while minimizing losses. We've got a job to do and I'm going to take Direhold one way or another. We've only just met, but you've already become important to me; should any of you become injured or even killed, I will grieve your loss with the ugliest crying you've ever seen a grown man commit. It's okay to poke fun at that, I'm a very sentimental person, so it can't be helped. If any of you want to back out now, this is the time to do it."

"If not..." the Sergeant said with a hint of boldness while his hands shook,

"Then come with me."

Last edited:
"Semper Vigilo"
Brother Venn

"While sparing as many lives as possible in this fight is paramount, I believe that more damage will be done if our infiltration team fails. True, we may win the day without, but the cost would surely be too great, and in the end our ultimate fight may be lost if we do not secure total victory here. The army will be under fire for longer, true, but these men know the risks, and should our missing scouts still live, they may not survive after the battle. Should this meeting prove democratic, then my vote rests with the crack into the tower, but I will defer should the wishes of the majority prove otherwise. I have steeled myself comrades, and committed my soul should death take me today. I wish to all that the Gods protect you and the Goddess keep you warm. What say you gentlemen?

Spirit Monk

Brother Loroc

"As my order is one that holds the protection of life above all else as well as bringing swift resolution to conflict, I would be inclined to take the quickest path possible, even if it may be the most difficult. That said I am no leader, and I am merely here to assist in whatever capacity may be needed." Loroc folded his arms and became uncharacteristically quiet. His features hardened in thought and his words belied the careful consideration he put into his comments.

"I would also warn that to accept that death is a possibility may in fact work against us. I myself have no intention of dying here, and I refuse to allow any of my comrades to allow themselves those same thoughts, and will do everything in my power to see that we all achieve victory with as little bloodshed as possible."

Ethinius Hillmire

Ethinius Hillmire
Astral Summoner

"I like the way Loroc thinks. We've got a great battle ahead of us, and the only way to get through it is together. We've got to watch each other's backs out there, and make sure every man sees it through to the end. If I could have it my way, we wouldn't lose a single man, so I'm going to get out there and do my best to make sure this battle goes my way. Today, we are brothers in arms, so let's raise them against our enemy and face them without fear."

Sergeant of the Guard
29ea3b96f5ea3195fbdde897e476f8ea.jpg
Mood: Afraid

Tohnas Veldregen

"Excellent. I was hoping you'd all say something like that." Tohnas said cheerfully, "I honestly thought at least one of you would quit, but you continue to surprise me! Since we're all ready to fight for our lives now, I'm going to break the vibe here and call this meeting to an end. I'll grab the squad that will sneak you up to the gate and then join the battle and direct fire. Once at the gate, you'll have to choose how to best infiltrate the castle. Don't forget, there's another squad going up there with you, so be sure to work with them and achieve the best result in the battle. Good luck!"

While the Dogs were briefed, the siege had already begun and many arrows, bolts, and heavy stones lay scattered around the bridge by the time the special squad was ready to transport the two squads. Using a special overhead shield formation, the Dogs and their accompanying soldiers were safely brought under the gate without any major casualties. Once secured in their designated spot, the special squad quickly left and joined in the siege with the rest of their comrades. Left to their own devices, it was now up to the Dogs to assault the magical fortress of Direhold and single-handedly save the day! No pressure at all whatsoever, right?

Player Action Required
I figured we had enough walls of text to get here, so I decided to keep the battle post simple. Pick a route and get ready to fight!​

Last edited:
"Semper Vigilo"
Brother Venn

"Here we are then. Before it is too late, I still feel that we should take the route through the tower, for we are no use to an army lying dead upon the battlements. If your decision to storm the wall directly stands in the majority, then let there be death. Whatsoever path we may take, I must insist that our secondary team take the safer route through the tunnels, longer though they may be. If we should fail, it must be so that the gates are opened by somebody. On this I will have no argument. Now choose a direction once and for all and lead the way to it, or I shall choose it for you, damn the consequences." Venn said impatiently before the walls of the fortress.

In the time since their meeting at the tent Venn had been sensing an indecisive air passing to and fro from his companions. Wishing for a direct answer from at least one of them, Venn tested them, as he tested all things, in an attempt to find their true resolve. Whether they be leaders or followers, mice or warriors, they would be united in their decision, of that fact Venn would be certain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back