• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Other Does anyone use Discord on Android?

AlbaGuBrath

"Scotland Forever"
(I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this, but it was the closest I could figure... I can certainly post it elsewhere if needed.)

Okay, I'm sure there are some other Android users out there, so I have a question and/or small warning for y'all about the Discord app.
About a month ago, I downloaded the Discord app on my phone (a G3, I think it was) and used it for a little while with no problems, but then just a few hours later, while I was using the app, my phone crashed. Completely crashed, blue-screen-of-death. I got in touch with a representative who suggested I try a factory reset, but even that didn't work, and when we started trying to figure out what caused it, he suggested the app I had just downloaded and was using at the time of the crash. I thought that seemed reasonable enough, but after doing some research, I found that it had happened to other people as well, and I doubted that they also had the app, so I thought that it might have been an issue with my phone. My new one is also an Android, but is a different type (a Samsung Galaxy, I believe). I'd like to get the app again, but I'm scared of it crashing my phone.

So, I wanted to ask all of you Android users if you've experienced any problems with the app or noticed anything unusual. Do you know of this happening regardless of the app used, like an issue with the phone itself? I'm guessing that it must not be a wide-spread thing (since otherwise I'd figure Discord would do something about it), so it may just be that particular phone in general or the way it interacted with Discord specifically, but either way I'd suggest for people to be wary. I have no idea what caused my crash or if it had anything to do with Discord, but that may be worth considering. On the other hand, if plenty of people have been using it with no problems, it may be perfectly safe. Does anyone else know anything about this issue?

I have it on my phone, and my hubby does as well, both of use use Androids and have never experienced such an issue.

Nope. This would be the first I've heard of it being assumed from Discord. I've had certain apps cause problems and promptly removed them from my phone, but never to the point that I had to reset my phone back to factory settings. I would suggest that since you have factory reset it already, to re-install the app and see if it is replicated, since at least that way you've not lost anything else if it does happen again.

Honestly, unless they are able to check the exact error that caused it, then they wouldn't know what caused the phone to react in such a way. When a PC gives a BSOD, you get an error code to explain why.

Hmmm I have the Discord app on my Android phone as well. The model of it is a Sony Xperia z3+. At the current moment I have it on and I am not experiencing any issues with it. I've had the app for a while and it has never given me any trouble.

The issue, in my opinion, for when apps crash itself and the phone may be that either the phone has little storage available in its system (and with a nearly full storage it can cause the system to significantly slow down. Which by adding a new app causes the system to come to the point where it freezes due to too much work.) or the app may not be compatible with the type of model of mobile phone.

Nope. This would be the first I've heard of it being assumed from Discord. I've had certain apps cause problems and promptly removed them from my phone, but never to the point that I had to reset my phone back to factory settings. I would suggest that since you have factory reset it already, to re-install the app and see if it is replicated, since at least that way you've not lost anything else if it does happen again.

Honestly, unless they are able to check the exact error that caused it, then they wouldn't know what caused the phone to react in such a way. When a PC gives a BSOD, you get an error code to explain why.

Well, my phone was completely unusable and I had to get a new one, so if it happens again I could have to go buy another phone, which I don't really want to do. I'd like to try it again and see if it was a fluke, but first I'd like to make sure nobody else has seen any issues and let them know about something to potentially watch for.

Hmmm I have the Discord app on my Android phone as well. The model of it is a Sony Xperia z3+. At the current moment I have it on and I am not experiencing any issues with it. I've had the app for a while and it has never given me any trouble.

The issue, in my opinion, for when apps crash itself and the phone may be that either the phone has little storage available in its system (and with a nearly full storage it can cause the system to significantly slow down. Which by adding a new app causes the system to come to the point where it freezes due to too much work.) or the app may not be compatible with the type of model of mobile phone.
That's possible... I used the app on my phone some while the site was down and didn't have any issues, but I think my storage was about the same then as it was when my phone crashed. Maybe a bit of a difference, but I don't think a whole lot.

I've been using it for the past few weeks since getting a new phone. Mine's a Samsung Galaxy S4, one that's been around for a few years. It's used so there are a bunch of apps I don't even use, and out of 16 GB it only has 750 MB available ( I should really remove the stuff I don't use...) so I'm pretty sure that qualifies as being full too.

Despite that, I haven't had any problems so far. I'd usually think it was due to the memory being full, but it looks like that wasn't the case. It sounds like your previous one was older than my current one, but if it was something noticeable on older phones there should be some kind of warning from Discord. Of course, it could be something unrelated and it just coincidentally happened while you were using Discord...do you think it could've been an issue with the battery? Other than that, I'm afraid I really don't know what could've been it.

I've been using it for the past few weeks since getting a new phone. Mine's a Samsung Galaxy S4, one that's been around for a few years. It's used so there are a bunch of apps I don't even use, and out of 16 GB it only has 750 MB available ( I should really remove the stuff I don't use...) so I'm pretty sure that qualifies as being full too.

Despite that, I haven't had any problems so far. I'd usually think it was due to the memory being full, but it looks like that wasn't the case. It sounds like your previous one was older than my current one, but if it was something noticeable on older phones there should be some kind of warning from Discord. Of course, it could be something unrelated and it just coincidentally happened while you were using Discord...do you think it could've been an issue with the battery? Other than that, I'm afraid I really don't know what could've been it.
I don't think it was the battery, but I don't remember for sure... I'm thinking that it may have just been coincidence, especially since it seems like other people haven't had the same issue, but I'm still a bit wary.

Thanks to everyone for their input, though!

It sounds like just coincidence to me too. I've had the Discord app for a while and the only issue I've ever had is when it (the app itself) doesn't load because it needs updating. (And that's happened maybe twice over several months.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back