Anime & Manga Does anyone have any anime to recommend?

Baccano!, Kekkai Sensen (Blood Blockade Battlefront) and Space Dandy all follow the theme of somewhat of a plot, but includes zaney and intense moments.

Baccano may have its funny moments, but it is kind of gory. But you have your 1930's mobsters on a train with a serial killer and a couple idiot bandits! 8D

Space Dandy is Dandy in Space. Made by the same people that made Samurai Champloo and I think Cowboy Bebop, it has a rockabilly bounty hunter with a pompadour going around outer space in search of bounties with his little goody-two-gears robot companion, QT. They gain another crew member and go on adventures and such.

Kekkai Sensen is made by the same guy that made Trigun and Gungrave (they're a bit older animes, but both have gun-toting misunderstood protagonists), but has a silly casual feel. Even if they are fighting monsters in futuristic New York.

I'll recommend some older stuff since it seems like most of the thread has the last 5-10 years in anime locked down right now.

Revolutionary Girl Utena
, for sure. The only thing is the dub is... well, I haven't heard it but I haven't heard very good things about it. A lovely surreal and allegorical series with some very important themes. I also highly recommend the movie.

Castle of Cagliostro is a great Lupin III film that stands pretty well on its own (a lot of Lupin does, really, the concept makes it very easy to jump into). It was directed by Miyazaki too, so, good stuff. I'm actually not sure if this one has a dub or not? I'm assuming it does, haha.

If you haven't watched the original Sailor Moon now is a great time to do so since there's a brand new dub that's accurate to the original script. The old Sailor Moon dub was pretty infamous but holds a lot of nostalgia for some folks.

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still This is a really damn cool 90s OVA. Love the characters, love the plot, love the retro-futuristic style. Only downside is there'll very likely never be more and the show was kind of made as a hypothetical 'part six of seven'. It does stand very well on its own, though, and also works as a lovely tribute to a legendary manga artist, Mitsuteru Yokoyama. There's actually two different dubs for this! I watched them both years ago but it's been a while so my impressions are foggy.

Future Boy Conan No English dub here, this gem from the 70s was never licensed in any English speaking territory. It's quite famous in the Arab world from what I understand, though. An early work of Miyazaki that feels a bit like a prototype to Castle in the Sky. If you ever wished a Ghibli anime was a full length TV series, check out Conan!

The Vision of Escaflowne This show feels like the essence of a 90s JRPG. It's getting a new dub pretty soon, I think? It's one of those 'girl gets teleported into another world' stories except with fantasy robots and a plot that gets really ridiculous (in a fun way, at least to me) in the second half.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes I feel weird recommending this when I haven't even finished it yet but there honestly isn't anything like this show in the anime world. It's an extremely ambitious, long as heck (110 episodes, 2 movies, 52 'gaiden' episodes) military science fiction series about... well, it's about a lot of things, but it mostly centers around two military commanders from opposing sides in a seemingly endless war. Was only just licensed with no word yet on an official release, so who knows if this will get a dub. If you're into history or military type stuff at all check this out.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's plenty of Anime I can recommend, but I'm not sure what you like or what you've seen. ^^ But here's my recommendations.

Haikyuu: A sport anime about Volleyball. I personally adore this series. It doesn't have an english sub, but is getting a third season towards the end of the year. It has good humor and doesn't stray too far away from the plot.

Death Parade: All I can say for this is watch the opening before you start on the episodes cause it should make you fall in love with this show even more. I recently watched it myself and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sakamoto desu ga?: If you are purely looking for a comedy show to watch, then this is the way to go. It also has no dub, but I think it works better in sub anyway.

Wolf's Rain: This is one of my all time favorite anime's, but you can only watch it once in my opinion. It is a slow moving anime so be prepared for that, but it all has a purpose come the finale of the series.

Samurai Deeper Kyo: This is a samurai anime and I haven't actually finished the series myself, but from what I've seen it is worth watching. It has fighting and good comedy at random times.

The Devil is a Part-Timer!

Blood Lad

Kamisama Hajimemashita

Nurarihyon no Mago

Kyou Kara Maou

Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist!

Kemonozume

Samurai Champloo

Afro Samurai

No Game No Life

Seven Deadly Sins

Fruits Basket

Kaze no Stigma

Overlord

Wolf Children

Demon King Daimao

Nabari no Ou

Red Data Girl

Inu x Boku SS

Toradora- Good romantic comedy and has its moments. One of my favorites

Dagashi Kashi- A newer anime that focuses around Japanese snacks. Pretty funny and the main character was my avatar for a month.

Erased- Not in dubbed format yet, but easily one of the best anime I've seen in years. It's a dark murder mystery and the ending will leave you satisfied.

Is it Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?- Again, only subbed but still a great anime. Fantasy with swords and magic, with a bit of romantic comedy thrown in. Very good.

The Full Metal Panic Series (Full Metal Panic, Full Metal Panic: Fumofu, Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid)- A very good Mecha trilogy. The first and last are more serious, while the middle is more of a romantic comedy/slapstick humor type. (Sensing a theme among the anime I like?)

Monster Musume- Subbed only. A harem anime that I like and it's split among anime fans, some like it, some hate it. It's a harem anime and a romantic comedy. The main character though is just a mantle piece to the series. The main attraction are the girls that the show dedicates the time to. They are all "Monster Girls" A lamia, a centaur, a harpy, a mermaid, a zombie, ect. Light ero stuff but nothing that would be concidered full on hentai. Only ecchi.

if you like people getting stabbed, akame ga kill

if you liked sword art online, the asterisk war is good

dangan ronpa is pretty cool too

and akatsuki no yona

go watch those xD

One Punch Man. Go watch it for this.

st4ImEH.png

If you're looking for a cutesy sort of comedy anime, Hetalia is pretty nice. Though it can be somewhat nonsensical at times...

I'd recommend Mononoke! It's a beautiful, episodic anime set (mostly) in feudal Japan about a medicine seller who wanders around from time to place and learns the pain and truth behind demons in order to slay them. It's very much psychological horror, with empathises on the psychological aspect. The art is gorgeous as well, and it has some of my favourite character designs of all time!It's also very short, at only 12 episodes. (Although if you want the Full Experience also watch episodes 9-11 of Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales, as Mononoke is a spin off of that final arc.)

Ergo Proxy.

It's kind of Existential-y, so it can get heavy at times, but it's totally worth it for the story, character progression, and art. It's my favorite and I always suggest it!

I personally really enjoyed: Plastic Memories (Tragedy, drama), Another (horror, mystery), Mirai Nikki (horror, thriller), Madoka Magica (horror?, tragedy), and basically any studio ghibli movie is gold.

Best manga according to me rn are: Tokyo Ghoul, Deadman Wonderland, 19 Days.

Hmmm, thinking of things from this season and depending on your tastes I think Bungou Stray Dogs, Kabaneri, and Re: Zero (if you're into the LN-type anime except with sudden bursts of identity and unexpected death) are the easiest to recommend. None of them have really accessible dubs unfortunately because they're all relatively new, but.

Something a little older that I'd recommend is Selector infected WIXOSS IF you've watched Madoka already ー I think it works very well with a similar plot taken in a different direction. Makoto Shinkai (5cm/second, Voices of a Distant Star) and Hosoda Mamoru (Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Wolf Children) make gorgeous works of art and I always recommend them without hesitation!

Izayaorihara said:
RWBY isn't an anime
I mean it really depends on your definition!

Kiznaiver is pretty good. it's new though, so there isn't an english dub yet.

Other than that i'd recommend Tokyo Ghoul.

I personally really like Nisekoi (A little slice of life? mostly just a romantic comedy), Love, Chunibyo, and other delusions is a cute, cringing, and emotional experience I recommend, and One Week Friends as just a nice lesson kind of anime :)

<p>

I'm mostly creating this to complete my "ten posts 24 hours" requirement, but I've also run out of good anime that I haven't already seen. (Having access to an english dub would also be a bonus).

</p>

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid is definitely on my recommendation list! It's super light hearted, has adorable characters, and even features a blossoming relationship between two female characters. Super cute! <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back