Anime & Manga Does Anyone Else Base Whether or Not They'll Watch an Anime or Read a Manga...

Nicesta

Dracon Dancer
... solely based on the cover art? I do. I know it's sad.... what sort of anime fan do I purport to be, right? I literally just a book by its cover...... art.

... solely based on the cover art? I do. I know it's sad.... what sort of anime fan do I purport to be, right? I literally just a book by its cover...... art.
Idk I think it's valid to some degree. If you're just walking in a book store and shit, the cover is what's gonna grab your eye and attract you to the book. It's a good sign if a comic book's art style appeals to you immediately, that's like half of the reason for reading one.

But if you're like online or something and there's like a blog or some shit with a list of anime/manga, and they provided like a short description of what they're all about, them you might wanna look a bit deeper into it and at least read the lil synopsis since it's there. But it's also understandable if the cover art immediately repels you too.

Sometimes. I'll usually at least also take a glance at the art inside, but if it isn't to my liking, I typically don't read or watch it. At times I even start reading something solely because the art is good/accurate (like ballroom e youkoso). If the story is good, then I keep reading. If I don't...oh well. At least the art was eye candy until I decided to drop it like a hot potato.

I do drop some anime and manga based on art style, but deciding to watch one or read one is usually made on the basis of a premise that interests me

Yes and also no.

I'll go on MyAnimeList, see a cool thumbnail for an anime for the season, and click on it. It had pretty art, so it must be good right? ...Unless the summary and idea of the plot doesn't interest me.

It's pretty much the same for manga when I'm in Barnes & Noble. That's actually how I found Nisekoi XD

So, yeah, I bias the decision on cover art, but it's also paired with my interest in the plot summary.

This is why there is the three episode rule. If we judged crap by its cover then an anime like Ping Pong the Animation would be glossed over compared to something like a stereotypical harem anime with incredibly good art but shitty story like Trinity Seven. Ping Pong is an incredible anime by every standard whether its the animation itself, the story, soundtrack, and pacing are top notch with its olnly real problem being that its artwork is an eyesore at first glance and does not fit the stereotypical vision of what we think anime is.

Hence the solution the three episode rule. If you are gonna give an anime a try but not so sure due to the plot summary, art, score on MAL. Just watch the first 3 episodes. Within these first three episodes you can get what the quality of the animation is going to be for the rest of the season. In addition you get to see at least within the microcosm of those 3 episodes, how the studio is handling the pacing of each arc as you'll generally finish one story arc in that time, you'll also get to see whether or not you like the characters, or how cool the setting is etc. And then you can make your own judgment on what to expect from the rest of the anime.

As a personal note. I made the mistake of judging a book by its cover with Beyond the Boundary when it first came out. It looked like another romance show as it had some plot description about a half-demon falling in love with the demon hunter assigned to kill him. And the art was super cutesy because it was made by Kyoto Animation. The same studio that made Clannad, K-On!, Free! and other similar series. My willingness to watch the series was only soured even more when my friends gave me a clip from the series with all the characters in Idol Cosplay. Then it turns out that Kyoukai no Kanata (Beyond the Boundary's Japanese Name) ended up being this badass action series with some of the coolest choreographed and animated fight scenes I've ever seen.

So yeah.

TLDR: If you have doubts. Watch 3-4 episodes then decide. If it hasnt caught your attention then its not worth it.

I tend to watch Anime with more "unique" art styles. Kaiji Ultimate Survivor and Hajime No Ippo come to mind when I think of such an art style. Then avoid anime with more "typical" art styles. It's only until I get recommendations from friends that I actually watch said anime. Which sucks because I know there are some REALLY good anime with typical art styles I'm missing out on.

idk, usually i might when i used to watch anime since i don't really watch it anymore. i'm kinda picky about the art style, so if i don't like it it's more likely that i won't watch/read it.

In reading manga or watching anime, I mainly base it on the overall story itself before looking at the art. If the art looks great but the blurb sounds like shit and/or over the top, I won't even consider giving it the time of the day.

When it comes to watching an anime, the first thing I do is actually check out the theme song. As a HUGE music nerd/addict, usually, if I like the theme song a lot, then I end up watching and liking the anime.

For example, the theme song art and music for Brynhildr and the Darkness is one of my favorite anime themes and the actual anime itself was probably one of my favorite animes, although it depressed me >.<.

Of course, this isn't true for every anime, but for me it's basically a rule with a few exceptions rather than coincidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back