Experiences Do You Reuse Characters in Roleplays?

Do You Reuse Characters in Multiple Roleplays?

• Yes, frequently, I often have the same character in multiple roleplays at once

Votes: 45 44.6%
  • No, I create a new character for every roleplay

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • I have reused a character maybe once or twice if I really like them

Votes: 29 28.7%
  • No, it never occurred to me to reuse them

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I only reuse characters once the roleplay they were in has ended/died off

Votes: 17 16.8%

• Total voters

thatonegirl28

partially awake
Roleplay Type(s)
back in my roleplaying peak (aka middle school lol) i created a new character for every roleplay, and i still tend to do that with new roleplays. however now if I really enjoy writing a certain character i have begun considering the reuse of old characters, or at least saving them for later. i was wondering if anyone has ever done the same thing? what are your experiances?

I have done it and have friends who do reuse characters in almost every group. There might be some prospective partners who care about that kinda thing - wanting the character they play against to be unique to them - but if it comes up, that's just gonna be up to the two parties involved to decide if a compromise can be found or if it's better to keep searching. I imagine most probably don't notice or mind much, especially on a site like this where most 1x1s happen away from the public eye.

Often if I recycle a character, something about them will change. It might be a minor tweak to the background or something more substantial. Usually it's to adapt them to the different story, but sometimes it might be an attempt to refine them. It's a way to develop a character, especially when a lot of roleplays don't last long enough to allow that to happen.

If the idea appeals to you, I say go for it. It all depends on what you are comfortable with and what seems entertaining to you. Worst case, you try it and decide it's not your thing.

if i'm really in love with a concept i'll make someone new! i've rarely reused characters since my old scratch dot mit dot edu days of rp unless it's something i'm doing with my irl friends and it's probably not gonna last long enough to be worth making someone new :]

Last edited:
I keep a Google document of OCs from past roleplays that I really enjoyed for the very purpose of maybe using them again someday. While I generally make new characters, if I see an opportunity to an adapt an old one then I will take it.

why wouldn't i? lol. makes no sense for me to spend a bunch of time developing a character and then never use them again. i'd think it was pretty egotistical if a partner demanded i make a character that's unique to them and only them.

I used to not, but once I started using Kpop idols for faceclaims instead of random art or pictures of people I didn't really know; I ended up making a bunch of characters that I've reused a bunch because I have a baseline reference for them at all times, not to mention yeah a lot of the RPs I've used them in failed, but each time I re-used them the character built up in detail, so whenever I reused them I had a good idea of who they were as an individual. Typically they each also come with side characters specifically attached to them though I might use others sometimes too or essentially cameos of my own main characters from other rps as a side character lol

I like to create original characters for new roleplays that I find myself wanting to join! However, if there is a reboot or a sequel roleplay and I have a character I created that was intended for it, I like to bring them back if I find myself inspired to write them again. There's just a lot to explore with these characters and I definitely want them to live the life I wished for them, even more so if there's plots and twist I myself wouldn't imagine them going through based on what the GM has in store!

No. I can re-use some elements of their personality if I really liked them, or perhaps bits of a backstory, but I never re-use them in their entirety. It would feel weird to me.

I usually create a new character for every roleplay. The only characters I ever reuse are fandom canon characters, but those were not created by me in the first place.

I may occasionally reuse some personality traits or background bits of an old OC for a new OC if there was something that really would fit or I'd be wanting to play but it would still be a new character.

primarily being a fandom roleplayer, it’s a common practice to have pre-made ocs for each fandom, just adding to them and altering them over time, or as needed to fit the plot. i have like 14 different marvel ocs ( for most fandoms i’ll only have one or two ) — i find this not only easier than making a new character for every plot, but also better. i’ve had some of these characters for years, carefully curating the little details about them that make them really feel like they belong to their respective universes, and i like to think they’re very well rounded and have a certain depth that i don’t think could be accomplished if i made a brand new character from scratch everytime i started a new roleplay.

in terms of original roleplays… no, not quite, because original plots have different needs, they often have no overarching similarity, so having pre-made characters and expecting them to fit into any plot just won’t do… but even then i may reuse base concepts that i like.

Last edited:
yes. i have some characters that I constantly (re)try to fit into their respective genres. I will give them tweaks and even minor re-writes in their background so that they fit the new setting. But I definitely have my circle of OCs that I try to get into roleplays. I've put in too much effort into these characters to just give them up to a storage folder and never (try to) use again.

I also have some characters that are "different characters" but are obvious reiterations of other previous characters of mine. And one of my absolute favorite OCs is actually a combination of three different character that preceded her.

Reusing OC's really depends on the setting and genre of the RP. I can and often do reuse general personality traits and such, but I rarely reuse OC's themselves, unless it makes sense in-setting/in-Iniverse.

Also considering that RP's I participate in can and usually have vastly different settings, plots, canon roster, etc, it often makes more sense to create new characters for each RP, than to reuse them over and over again. Unless it's a Multiversal character, but that's a whole different topic to discuss, big, major, complex and at times - confusing.

And of course crossovers... Who can forget about crossovers. But those are also a whole different story.

Hope you had a nice read, and I wish you the best of luck in finding good RP's, and nice rest of the day for all of you.

Nope. Pretty much the only time I have done this is if I made a character, but then the RP died before I really got a chance to properly write said character. Other than that I always make new ones, even if it's a similar concept taken from a previous character.

When a roleplay is not finished, and I really like the character, sometimes I re-use them. Some characters never find a fitting roleplay... It's a hard world... ;D
Sometimes when I really like a character a lot I re-use them to see how they would react in a different scenario, and with different people around them.

scratch dot mit dot edu
Off-topic but you are the first person I've seen outside of the site that roleplayed on there aswell, that's crazy

I haven't joined many roleplays in the past few years but I have no problems reusing characters, I have a few ocs that I'm very attached to and I wouldn't let them fall into disuse

I’ve never re-used a character in a RP word for word or as exact replicas, but I have used their core personalities to build off in new plots. I guess it comes down to memory and efficiency if that particular muse comes to mind when I’m plotting with my partner. Sometimes, I’m inclined to re-imagine an old OC when the plot sounds like it would suit them, but even then, I will usually do some major changes in backstory amongst other things to keep the new character separate from the old one.

On the other hand, a positive that I can see with people who do re-use OCs is that they are well-developed because they’ve been tested against so many other plots and characters. I’ve had a partner who loves re-using their OC - aging them up or down, changing their profession - and to them, the character’s voice just comes naturally. It’s comfortable for them to play this character so they’re less likely to get writer’s block (as they know exactly how their character would react). It’s also really enjoyable for them to develop their character even further and see them come to life in new scenarios.

I think it’s all a matter of preference and circumstance. If you’re feeling really inspired, why not write a new OC. If not, then, sticking to a tried and true character isn’t anything to scoff at either.

Yes I do. I really put a lot into improving or changing something. Be it names or faces or some personality improvment. Im always looking to improve and I do that through perfecting the character to be more amusing and by reusing the basic foundation

But I totally understand and admire those who make a new character each time . What creative minds. I think that is just as 👍

Most of my OCs are from one of my stories/comic. 😅 I do have a few I’ve whipped up especially for RPN though.

Designing new OCs is exciting. 😁

I mostly roleplay with fandoms, so a lot of my OCs are created with that fandom in mind and just reworked depending on the plot and situation. I also get really attached to my characters, so for my favorite ones, I try to work them in wherever/however I can.

I try to come up with new characters for every rp but 1) if I just make up an OC out of thin air I'm not likely to get overly attached to them so it's not easy to get invested in the rp itself etiher and 2) I get hyperfixated on OCs so I wanna do as many rps with them as I can

Users who are viewing this thread

Back