Viewpoint Do you read Roleplays written by others?

Do you read Roleplays written by others?

• Total voters

Sorin

huntress.
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Topic.

I'll sometimes read Roleplays written by my friends, but I don't think I've ever read Roleplays written by strangers. I have had friends read Roleplays of mine in the past, too, namely a crossover Roleplay that I wrote a few years back. It got to the point where they'd begun theorizing about what would happen next and even create memes for it, so that was honestly really fun. I also particularly enjoy rereading my own Roleplays to not only reminiscence in nostalgia, but also to see how far I've come as a writer over the years. But that aside, I'm curious where other folks lie on this matter: Do you ever read Roleplays written by others?

Not really, but there are a few of my own roleplays I would read because they were very good and I'd read them for nostalgia.

Topic.

I'll sometimes read Roleplays written by my friends, but I don't think I've ever read Roleplays written by strangers. I have had friends read Roleplays of mine in the past, too, namely a crossover Roleplay that I wrote a few years back. It got to the point where they'd begun theorizing about what would happen next and even create memes for it, so that was honestly really fun. I also particularly enjoy rereading my own Roleplays to not only reminiscence in nostalgia, but also to see how far I've come as a writer over the years. But that aside, I'm curious where other folks lie on this matter: Do you ever read Roleplays written by others?
i'm in about the same boat is you. sometimes i'll go back and read roleplays i had with people 3, 4 years ago to see how different characters and ideas were, as well as how different my writing style was in the past. it gets to a point where i cringe a little at anything before i started actively writing novella length, but it's less about the length itself and more of how i was as a writer and the kinds of partners i had

when it comes to rps written by friends, they'll often come to me with things that have happened in rps i'm not a part of but have characters i recognize, and especially if it's a character i'm familiar with, i'll usually follow along with it. to be honest, this is the first time i've ever had a real "writing friend" community, so it brings me a lot of joy to see these people come to me with dumb little things or heartfelt scenes because they think it's something i'd like to hear about. it even gets to the point where sometimes 1x1s they're doing tie into ones i'm doing with another person from the group, so it's like a whole little universe

Topic.

I very often reread past RPs, sometimes for little character details of an Oc I’m reusing or just for the nostalgia or to reference if I’m writing with the same partner. But if there’s a Rp that both participants wrote really well in? I’ll read through it for fun.

While I really like having my roleplays read (that's one of the reasons I like them posted in threads, because a major motivator for me as a roleplayer is sharing the stuff I come up with), I don't really tend to read other people's. The one major exception to this is if I'm trying to check if someone if a fitting pattern for me, as I'm picky with my partner choice and roleplaying style is a maaaaaaajor factor to consider there. Re-reading my own roleplays can be quite fun as well, both for the nostalgia value and because I do strive to write in in a way I will feel each piece has value on its own and I won't regret it or feel I wasted my time with it. I enjoy the end product more than the process itself, and thus when I go back to look at that end product, it's still quite enjoyable to me. Not to mention one of my favorite parts of RP, reading my partner's responses.

Sometimes! I'll read the roleplay threads of strangers if: a) I find that I really like and want to study their writing style, b) they're a prospective roleplay partner, or c) I'm in a group RP and I'm checking whether the roleplay is to my taste.

My own? Absolutely. If one was really good and we got kind of far, I'll sometimes archive it in a google doc to read again. I don't really go out of my way to read someone else's RP. If the 1x1 or group populates in a search I do, I might peek (seeing if a person is still active, checking writing styles, seeing whats popular with the kids these days). But I don't check the front page for the newest RP and read it. It's supposed to be private, even when it's on a public website. I try to respect that as much as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back