Music Do you play an instrument?

I play the trombone for my school's marching band. Hardest part? There's two, the first one is re-tuning. Because we use our tuning slide to play, we basically have to assume the exact positions of each notes. Every the weather changes by like one degree we have to re-adjust. It's not fun, it really isn't. Second hardest thing is learning other instruments after trombone. The nature of the trombone is distinct and weird to play you're gonna have a hard to learning other instruments, especially if trombone is your first.
Ah yes, Marching band.. best weather is a good 70s for tuned instruments.. being in Texas, the weather during the season always kills its self on us down here.

I play the violin and I recently took up the piano! Hardest part about the piano is learning to play the bass clef. Hardest part about violin is either containing my rage whenever I play canon in D at a wedding, or sight reading. I’ve been playing violin for 8 years and I still suck at sight reading.
I played the cello and the violin when I was really little, however I never really was good at it. In fact, I didn't even know what a vibrato was. God bless my smol soul.

I did piano lessons twice, lost my patience and quit both times. Did cello for two years, got bored and quit. Got a uke about two months ago, I don't play it. I just stare at it and feel guilty because I can't find any time in my day for it.
Oml me.. I'm laughing. You'll get the chances to play it, I would suggest picking up the Uke because its ridiculously easy.

Tuba, Trombone, Baritone
Low brass fo life!

I also dabble in the trumpet sometimes
I practice with my little sister who plays the Baritone and I play it then.. most of the time though I'll steal my friends instruments to play them because why the hell no. Usually it's learning something stupid like Meglovania or Halo theme for no reason.. Yes.. I'm THAT Freshman..

I play the piano and I’m currently learning the ukulele! It’s only been a few days for the ukulele but it seems simple and straightforward.

The piano was harder for me to grasp cause I’m not so fast/good with my hands. Finger placement can make or break how well you can play a piece. I opt for slower melodies because of this!
Ukulele is easy! Before you know it you'll know all the songs from Adventure time!! Or.. was that just me...?? ^.^'

Does the kazoo count? then no, because I can't play mine either.

I play several; the ocarina, guitar, ukulele, and banjo. Once I get an electric or bass guitar, I can hopefully add that to my repertoire as well.

Guitar, Mandolin, & Banjo. Bluegrass ftw though I'll break out my electric for rock and metal. Playing guitar isn't too hard, right now Im trying to figure out how to solo which is challenging for me cause my theory lacks. Tuning a mandolin is a bitch. Rolling a banjo isn't the easiest thing to pick up but Im good now.

I have also played songs on steel bell/gong shooting targets with rifles and pistols.

Ooh imma slide in this conversation

I play the piano. I started when I was little and I’ve basically always thought my self. The first time I got a teacher was when I got to college. I’m Studying music education. Piano has a lot a hard things and usually no two people have the exact same issue.

The hardest part about piano is THIS chod in this piece I’m playing this semester. There are 7 pages in this piece and this chord shows up like 8 times. And it’s stupid, because you are basically playing an 11th in both hands. I’ve been playing so long that I have 9th reach, just over an octave. But I don’t have long fingers. When I was learning it I spent two nights in my theory textbook trying to decide what the chorus was so I could decide what to sacrifice.

BUT my teacher said I have to just whip my hands over and hit them all. So I probably hit that chord like 63% of the time.

717BADE4-86B8-4FAA-9CBB-CC6FEA31A7B8.jpeg

I also play concert percussion, and the hardest part about that by far is counting all those rests. Like.. I will get a part with multiple instruments on it and the percussion section will basically turn in to a contact sports zone because we are all running around not looking at each other because we are trying to make sure wee come in right after 72 measures of rests.

My parents forced me to take piano lessons for 8 years. I "retired" from those lessons once I hit 18, and haven't touched a piano since. While I enjoy listening to music, I don't have an interest in playing instruments. But who knows? Maybe one day when I'm 60 years old, I'll pick it up again.

I play most wind instruments(mainly because of the convenience of their size), own a guitar too which I am still learning. Besides some of the more conventional(or modern should I say) musical instruments like bamboo flute(a personal favorite) and harmonica, I play "hand flute" and "leaf flute" too, which both I find incredibly fun and cool.

Introduced to hand flute through a talent show years ago, find it super fun, it had a really unique and beautiful sound which I can really appreciate, sounds a bit like ocarina but I think there are certainly some noticeable differences(it's great for sound effects too, you can mimic bird chirping, owl hooting, wind howling, 'cartoon falling sound', ghastly weeping, police siren...or even more if you are creative enough).

From what I remember I think it's not that difficult to make a sound if you have experience in playing flute (just make sure your hands form a sealed chamber, no force is needed). Since you can practice basically anytime, anywhere(as long as you have your hands), it is really not that difficult to learn.
I recommend trying it if you can play flute or simply can produce sound from blowing across the mouth of a plastic bottle, it's pretty much the same concept.

I am having a lot of fun with leaf flute recently, I was introduced to leaf flute through a Pokemon movie. I was a *little* obsessed with being able to play the song 'Oracion' in that movie ever since I saw that movie, and I can tell MANY people are on the same boat as me from the comment section of the leaf flute tutorial, LOL, so I finally got myself to try it a few months ago.

It was not as easy as expected, and I think the most difficult part is choosing and finding a constant supply of leaves suitable to be played, you will be going nowhere no matter how hard you practice if you did not choose an ideal leaf. That problem got resolved by using a leaf-shaped, thin, plastic sheet with slight elasticity, which is way easier to find (some plastic wrapper), way easier to make a sound, and lasts forever(does not wither). It is ideal for beginner, and I highly recommend trying it on a plastic sheet first before you can get your hands on a suitable leaf if you intend to learn it. It is a way more tedious and challenging process compared to learning hand flute. If you really intend to learn it you can put some keywords in youtube and you will literally only find *one* single English channel giving you details on choosing materials as a leaf flute substitute and the basics, and that single channel is informative enough, it has everything you need, so kudos to them.

Last edited:
i play bass guitar; playing an instrument is, in general, tough for me, because i can never remember shit about reading music. as for bass specific stuff? i guess just whenever i have to use a pick; i am NOT about that life..

Yesss. I play the flute. I played from 7th grade middle school all the way up until I graduated high school. I quit for a couple years but I'm back at it again! I have a private flute instructor and I've learned so much from her. She's a wonderful human being. <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back