• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Do you like foster family fluff? Healing relationships? ME TOO!

Hadley McGarden

Marigolds and Tigerlilies
Hello there! I'm glad to see that you're interested in this roleplay, as I assume you are, considering you clicked on the thread. Before I get onto the plot (which can be found below), there are a few rules I would like you to over before you decide if you commit to this roleplay. I know this seems very lengthy and probably quite tedious, but please give it a shot!
Firstly, I write multiple paragraphs per response, and would like you to do the same. If you feel that is a length you can't do regularly, this roleplay isn't for you. I would also like you to use proper spelling, grammar, punctuation and capitalization. If English isn't your first language or you're dyslexic, exceptions will be made, of course.

Secondly, there will be triggering material in this roleplay. One of the characters have lived in a multitude of abusive households, whether it be direct abuse or neglect, and while it's mostly limited to implications of the events and the occasional flashback or nightmare, if you feel like this could trigger you, you probably want to ride on the safe side and not take part in this roleplay. The other two characters are unable to have biological children; I don't know if this counts as a trigger, but I figured I would alert you in case it was.

Thirdly, I generally try to reply on a somewhat regular basis--I try to at least get one response out every couple of days--and would appreciate if you do the same. I understand if they can't be incredibly frequent, but I would like more than a single response per month.
If those requirements are ones you can meet, then you can move onto the storyline and decide if you'd like to participate!

[ Please note that Parent A and Parent B represent your characters (I wrote the storyline in the context of them being a heterosexual couple for the infertility factor to make sense, but if you would like to have them be a gay/lesbian couple, that's absolutely fine, and the only change to the storyline would be that they'd chosen to foster initially instead of using it as a second resort), while Child A represents mine. ]
Upon learning that they were unable to have children of their own, Parent A and Parent B were devastated. High school sweethearts that had been in love for many years, both had longed their whole lives for a family of their own. Both wanted to experience the joy of being a parent, the wonder of watching their child grow before their eyes, the fun of playing with a toddler and the satisfaction of having a teenager confide in and depend on them. So it stood to reason that learning they were infertile broke their hearts, and they spent a solid year or two in a depressed haze, operating out of instinct alone and struggling to connect with each other the way they once had. Finally, PA decided they'd had enough of their suffering, sat down with their partner, and proposed a new option: foster care. They could take in a child, and if everything worked out and they felt a connection with the child, they could adopt them. Though PB was a little wary, conscious of all the things that could go wrong, they too wanted to end the pain, and felt the way to do so was to have a child, so they agreed.

A few weeks later, they visited with a social service agent to discuss the opportunities. The woman worked in a large fostering facility, where the children lived until other homes for them could be found, and PB felt some of their anxiousness melt away as they were led to her office, passing rooms filled with children chatting amongst themselves, running around and playing. This was definitely what they wanted, and they wanted it more than anything. The couple took a seat, and explained to the agent that they were looking to adopt a young child so they could enjoy the experience of raising a child. The agent had pulled out the files of multiple children and was discussing which one they thought would fit the best in their household when the door to the woman's office opened, revealing a young girl.

Approximately thirteen years old, she was mangy and dressed in flimsy clothing that was barely suitable for the cold winter winds blowing outside. While the agent quickly moved to talk with her (it appeared that she'd been left with a new home a month or so prior and had ran away to come back to the facility), PA and PB shared a glance, immediately knowing that they'd both gotten the same feeling when the child entered the room: somehow, the girl, with her matted hair and hollow eyes, had stolen their hearts without saying a word to either of them.

Once the agent had dismissed the child and come back to her clients, PA asked who the children were. The agent explained that her name was Child A, that she had been rescued from an abusive household when she was only about seven years old. In the past six years, they'd placed the girl in a variety of homes, none of which proved to be suitable in the long run. The agent claimed, in the company's defense, that while they did have to be a little bit more lenient with the parents they let take the girl in (it was difficult to find a family that was willing to take in a girl that, by foster standards, was old, and had issues with anger and violent outbursts like CA did), they never would let them go to a family they honestly thought would provide a toxic environment for her.

The more times the child returned, whether because they fled back to the facility, because the family they'd been living with decided not to foster them anymore, or because the facility was forced to take them back again, the more difficult it became to find a home that was willing to take her in. The agent expressed a fear that, with how things were looking, she would have to settle for leaving CA in a group home, which she feels would only further damage the child, who, according to her, was very bright and would surely flourish in a stable environment. In that moment, PA and PB's decision was all but made for them. While the agent, trying to hide her delight, warned them that the girl may be difficult to care for, given the behavioral issues her past experiences had left her with, the couple was not deterred. They signed all the paperwork and were told that they'd be bringing the girl over to the house in a week.

The next Friday, after a week of preparations and frantic shopping sprees and re-decorating, PA and PB stood on the front door step, wringing their hands while they waited for the agent to arrive with CA in the backseat. After what felt like an eternity, a silver car pulled up the long driveway, parking outside their pretty little ranch house. The agent got out of the driver's seat, opened the backdoor, and out climbed CA, looking just as dirty as she had the last time the couple had seen her.

They welcomed the child into their home and tried to be as warm and inviting as possible, but she remained wary and aloof. Though they'd known it would be foolish to expect that a child that had been through so much would accept mere words as assurance that nothing more would happen to her, PA and PB were still slightly discouraged by the children's cold behavior. All the same, they'd promised each other that they'd help the child work through her trauma and provide her with a good proper home where she could finally be safe and loved, and they were determined to stay true to that promise.

Last edited:
Lovely! I'll put up a thread for it asap--and would you mind if a started a pm conversation to discuss ideas for it?

Also, just so you know, I don't make character sheets. You can if it helps you develop your character, but I'll just be explaining mine through the roleplay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back