Other Do you know how to cook?

How confident are you in the kitchen?

• Not at all. Call the firefighters!

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Eh, I can microwave stuff.

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • I have mastered one or two dishes.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • If I read over a recipe, I can figure it out.

Votes: 20 44.4%
  • I can eyeball all the ingredients and still make an awesome dish.

Votes: 12 26.7%

• Total voters

ManicMuse

I ax-o-lotl questions.
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)

Do you know how to cook? What is the most complex you know how to cook? How did you learn to cook?​

I have heard through the grapevine that many people don't know how to cook. I am curious to see if this is true, so let's find out.

yes. I can cook, and I've known how to for many, many years. I don't bake, though. I hate following instructions and my modus operandi is cooking by feel. I just get together the stuff I'm gonna use and add in what I feel is appropriate. Most of the time, it needs only minor adjustments. sometimes none at all. My "recipes" are in my head and truth be told, many of them are works in progress that change as the years wear on. For what it's worth, I'm 38. And most younger people I talk to do not, in fact, know how to cook anything of significance. Especially not off the hip.

I can cook and bake! I prefer baking from scratch. I haven't done it in a while though. It's just the lack of time.. and the fact that I'm undisciplined and will eat whatever I bake in one day! I'm trying to eat better!

I can cook certain foods! Mainly, Chili, Lasagna, and Brownies. My dad lets me learn how he cooks but thats not very often and its normally one of those lmao.

I’m in camp ‘I know how to cook, but also need some recipes’. I’ve learned to cook from helping in the kitchen and watching my loved ones cook. But the thing is, I’m always wanting to expand my knowledge so I end up needing recipes for things that are outside of my family’s wheelhouse - expanding to cuisines of other cultures and stuff.

The most complex dish that I’ve learned to master is Chicken Cordon Bleu, which is just a fancy way of saying breaded chicken with ham and cheese inside. It’s really tasty and easy to make!

For me, it’s easier to cook than bake. You just have to start with where you’re comfortable. I started with just scrambled eggs and omelettes. I find it to be a lot more forgiving than baking because you can always add spices and fix the flavours, but you can’t unbake a cake or a pie. XD

I can cook pretty basic things but I'm no expert. I've been trying to learn how to make more things in the past few years though and I do enjoy the process of it. :)

I’m between the middle and the fourth options. I know a fair number of dishes and I can occasionally improvise something if I feel the flavor is lacking or if it’s just ingredients I am more familiar with I can have an idea of what their combined taste might be like. To me the big hurdle is doses and spices in terms of figuring out new dishes, but otherwise I feel I could cook things just following a recipe with ease.

I'm learning to cook (again) right now.

As a teenager, I was barred from kitchens, for making messes without realizing (ADHD) and also starting small fires. Now, as an adult who recognizes their flaws with ADHD, I've gotten back into the kitchen where I'm much more careful. I'm thinking of making tacos or a chicken casserole dish tonight, in fact. Which is quite the ways I've come from microwaving ramen or boiling mac n cheese to act as "my dinner". Whatever recipes I get are usually from my sister or the back of a box, but I can follow instructions well enough.

I cook a bit as I can't afford to eat out often, but I mostly cook simple things or need a recipe book/list, minus for things I know well like Shrimp Scampi, but anyone can cook that.

I don't have much practice following recipes, but I am excellent at making good dishes from whatever ingredients I have at hand.

I love to cook, and I do enjoy baking (though I don't like sweets much and rarely eat what I bake, so my neighbours love me). Both parents encouraged us all to start cooking at a young age, so all 3 of my sisters and I cook like we've been doing so forever, because we have. Get us together and amazing things happen. I see a lot of comments about people never looking at recipes, and whereas I rarely follow recipes to the letter, I love finding new ways to do something, and trying new things, so I'll occasionally punch some ingredients into a search engine and see what comes up. Sometimes I'll hit gold. Doing this has massively expanded my repertoire.

I can cook, but I rarely make anything from scratch aside from things like Kropsu or Eierkuchen. Most of my expertise is just following instructions.

I've actually learned to cook roughly since I was a teenager. I remember when I'd come back from school, I'd come to the kitchen where my mom was cooking, and I'd talk to her about how my day went, and along the way I also watched how she cooked, and she explained how to make a few basic things. I think around the age of say... 15-16 is when my mom started to let me cook on my own in the kitchen. I started out with some easier things like how to cook rice, how to make pancakes, how to make grilled sandwiches, etc.

Over time I learned more recipes, and I remember when I was about 19, my mom had to leave the house for a week as she had to travel to another country, and I was the one that took charge of cooking the main meals for the family while she was gone. I cooked steak, pasta, soup, I could stir fry, make quesadillas, I even learned to make burgers for my sister's birthday.

Nowadays if I'm craving a specific dish, I just buy the ingredients and cook it myself. I've made chilaquiles, sweet and sour chicken, barbecue pork ribs, potato salad, fried rice, among other dishes. I'm always looking to experiment with what I know, and develop my own recipes. While a lot of what I know to cook comes directly from my mom, I've experimented and made my own versions of some of those recipes, as well as some I picked up from watching cooking videos on Youtube or reading on cooking websites.

so, i can cook, but i have to be in a certain mood to actually want to cook up something fancy. i'm not much of a cooker/baker but i do pretty good when i have an actual recipe to follow.

i can do the basics of breakfast food off the top of my head, like scrambled eggs, pancakes, etc. but if it goes into dinner territory i gotta look up a recipe because im scared of either:
a) lighting the kitchen on fire. /hj
b) burning/undercooking the food.
c) making it, but it tastes absolutely disgusting; even beyond that.

of course i do want to learn how to make more food, but i'll wait maybe a bit later because i am still 16 and my mom still cooks (i do ask if i can help her out though; most of my learning so far is from her). i have tons of recipes saved just for when i'm in the cooking mood

Do you know how to cook? What is the most complex you know how to cook? How did you learn to cook?​

I have heard through the grapevine that many people don't know how to cook. I am curious to see if this is true, so let's find out.
1704387594958.png ...you're god damn right I can cook.

I know how to cook, or at least I know the basic gist of it. The most complex recipe I'd done is an Ecuadorian dish involving tamarind juice, which turned out delicious! I learned to cook with my parents, I think, and at some point I started doing it on my own and wanting to connect with my hispanic roots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back