Viewpoint Do you ever play the opposite gender? Do you prefer it?

Niiohontesha

Bestest Strawby
I enjoy playing both genders equally and have satisfaction in writing for all sorts of characters. It's come to my realization lately that a lot of people will only play their own gender in such tales.

It's actually a bit of a funny story with me. I was just starting to get into anime around the same time I started roleplaying (coicidence, a friend of mine introduced me to anime and roleplaying came as a result of searching for fandom writing of something else to put it very briefly) and one thing I started doing after a while was using images. Now up until then I almost exclusively wrote males because that was my own gender. However, around this time, I decided to freshen it up a little and use a girl character with an anime girl as the picture. And that's how I discovered...

The wonders of Google image searching for anime girls. (lol)

I got so many pics I felt it was a shame if I didn't use them, so I got into making female characters to be able to use those pics. Nowadays I almost exclusively roleplay females. However, I can play either gender and a few other things no problem, as I've come to realize there is really not much of a difference: In the end of the day, we're all people and that's all a character needs to be

For some reason literally all of the characters that I make or gravitate to are boys, and I'm a girl myself. And by all of the characters, I mean all of them. XD I have no idea why, but I'm far more comfortable playing males than females.

For some reason literally all of the characters that I make or gravitate to are boys, and I'm a girl myself. And by all of the characters, I mean all of them. XD I have no idea why, but I'm far more comfortable playing males than females.
A lot of my own characters tend to be male, I've recently started expanding my horizons and creating more females but male characters have a firm grasp on my heart <3

In one on one roleplays, I always play female. I just prefer it. In group roleplays, I tend to lean towards female, but I also play as male from time to time.

I play as both male and female characters! I enjoy being able to switch up and I usually have to have an even amount of each gender.

In one on one roleplays, I always play female. I just prefer it. In group roleplays, I tend to lean towards female, but I also play as male from time to time.
I'm curious as to the lack of flexibility in 1x1s as opposed to groups, given I personally would think a person would try to stay more within their comfort zone with the additional lberty of a group character as opposed to a 1x1

I'm curious as to the lack of flexibility in 1x1s as opposed to groups, given I personally would think a person would try to stay more within their comfort zone with the additional lberty of a group character as opposed to a 1x1
I suppose I have more fun playing females, which is why I do it in one on one. In groups, I'm allowed to do both.

Then why don't you also restrict yourself to doing just females on groups too? Again, just curious
Probably because sometimes I feel like there's so many females in one roleplay, and I need to pull my weight and do a male. Also, I feel like it's good practice for writing a male.

I enjoy playing both genders equally and have satisfaction in writing for all sorts of characters. It's come to my realization lately that a lot of people will only play their own gender in such tales.
Yeah, I'm a girl, but I used to play male characters more frequently. Never understood why some people would only play their own gender.
Now, I say I'm more balanced- playing both male and female characters equally.

All my characters behave like dicks, but I find it easier to locate illustrations for girls.

I used to play male characters all the time because to me it seemed easier. it's a lot harder to make a female character because of how we as an audience harshly judge every trait female characters have. (we see her as weak instead of kind and empathetic/we see her as a bitch instead of assertive) I really wish I would've written more female characters in the past to learn how to overcome those challenges. so now I'm trying to write well developed female characters even though it feels like I have to do twice as much to get her there. it's unfortunate that it feels that way, I don't know if anyone else has noticed and or experienced that difference between writing male vs female.

I used to play male characters all the time because to me it seemed easier. it's a lot harder to make a female character because of how we as an audience harshly judge every trait female characters have. (we see her as weak instead of kind and empathetic/we see her as a bitch instead of assertive) I really wish I would've written more female characters in the past to learn how to overcome those challenges. so now I'm trying to write well developed female characters even though it feels like I have to do twice as much to get her there. it's unfortunate that it feels that way, I don't know if anyone else has noticed and or experienced that difference between writing male vs female.
I understand where you're coming from with the people judging female characters too harshly. Most of my female characters are kind and feminine, and I was always worried they would see her as weak (that never stopped me from playing them, but it did make me self-conscious). I even had an in Character incident where someone said my character's feminity was a weakness.

I only play as male characters, never as female (or at least very rarely). I find it a lot more natural with male characters, despite being and identifying as a girl irl.

I regularly well, when I role play, I took a bit of a break recently role play as all different genders. I identify as male, but have role played as male, female, and many non-binary identity. I do many different sexualities to, just because I personally don't feel the need to prove my masculinity by only playing as male characters. I love role playing as different genders because it brings lots of variety into life.

When I was younger I was slightly worried about displaying different genders wrong, but as I've aged I've come to realise there is no way to express a gender wrong as gender expression is completely different from gender identity. All my characters tend to be androgynous in expression by accident xD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back