Viewpoint Do you ever play the opposite gender? Do you prefer it?

I do, pretty frequently actually. I can see why some people may not want to, but it's the kind of situation that seems limiting to both stories and creativity not to be open to trying. It also lets you discover new things about how you, personally, would build a character.

I'm female, but I pretty much exclusively play as a male for two reasons: first, my RP partners usually prefer to play a female character, and second... for some reason I just feel more comfortable RPing male characters. I don't wanna ramble for ages about why lol, but yeah... I almost always play the opposite gender.

i tend to gravitate towards male characters since theyre easier to relate to for me as theyre of the same gender, though i do play females from time to time! the thing about my characters is that no matter what gender, theyre pretty much still the same people, anyways, with a few physical differences

All the time! It comes with gamemastering since you have to play as every NPC!

I can relate, I GM and play characters of all kinds because of it. Most of them are minor static characters, though. I've never done an RP where I had one sole character as a woman, because I find it more difficult to relate to them being a man

I just prefer playing a female. A lot of times, I can express myself and my own issues through a character in ways I can't do in my own life. I can play a mean male NPC, but when it comes down to actually characters, they're solely female for me. I think it's also just comfort for me, as I know the mindset of females more than males. (Maybe I'll play male in the future, but I may just stick to females now!)

i play both genders!

most of my early career, however, i strictly played males for m/m pairings. at the time, the female oc's that i were subjected to all held that annoying "submissive" quality that i cannot stand (i hate labeling it as that but really it's the only word that i can come up with to fit what i'm looking for). therefore, to keep from joining them, i played males.

however, i've been coming to terms with my own sexuality and that's seem to really open me up to trying the other side! by making my own unique and interesting female ocs, i'm reminding myself that not all characters are like that (it's still hard when people share their female ocs with me because i have that deep rooted fear that they will end up like the ones i'm used to seeing)

i try not to have a preference but, because i played only males for 8+ years of my 10+ years of experience, i find myself leaning towards playing females. it's refreshing to try something new!

If I'm being honest, I never really considered gender to a part of preferences. I can play both genders and have experience with hetero and homo relationships... but not because it's what I'm comfortable with those character types. Gender usually ends up being the last thing I think about when making a character (as their gender is meant to complement their story/personality imo) and relationships and preferences are something I decide while I'm writing; not before. I just play what I feel works for the character I'm trying to create and the story they endure... and have them date whoever ends up being the one to gain their compassion and trust the most.

50/50 for me. It depends on what the story needs or what I feel like. At this moment on the site I play more males than females though. I'm comfortable playing both genders and don't really have a preference. Just somehow... I more often play dudes when it comes to online RPing.

Now when it comes to LARP (Live Action Role Playing) I "obviously" play females only. I know girls who play guys there... and all credit to them for doing so. Just I don't see myself playing a male there. Curse my clearly feminine features! XD

Yeah I do. Don't know about enjoyment. Enjoyment is dependant on the rp for me not the gender of my character.

Also, this would probably be better suited for the rp discussion section.

I generally play a female character because I know how to write a female character (since I am one.) I do write males often, but I feel like sometimes I don't quite capture the 'guy' mentality quite right so I often shy away from that role. Plus I'm often too scared to roleplay as a male because most people just want to play romance only plots and I really love something with a story and not immediate infatuation. So when I play as a female I often negate that obstacle. :/

Nope. Playing boys is just... awkward for me. I never know how to act as one XD

I think a lot of people have a problem with playing the opposite gender because they turn it into a necessity rather than an opportunity to explore a character. It is, without question, more difficult because concepts, views, behaviour and mannerisms differ from gender to gender, but in my opinion that simply adds to the challenge. Writing females comes more naturally to me, but if I get invested in a male character or am just intrigued by him, I enjoy playing him just as much, if not even more.

I never actually stopped to think about it. Does it even matter, though? Humans are humans, is all, as I see it. I have no problem writing both.

Simple. As a boy I can tell you that there are two types of males: idiots and feminine
which category do i fall under, backset?

anyway, i like to play either gender, though i gravitate more toward using male faceclaims even if im playing a female character, as i find it easier to find pretty anime bois than girls. that being said, i think my female characters outnumber my male ones simply by virtue of me liking reverse traps.

I've played various genders (and genderless characters) over the years. It largely depends on how I'm feeling at the time and whether gender has any bearing on the plot. In the last few years, my characters have been overwhelmingly male or masculine leaning, though.

which category do i fall under, backset?

anyway, i like to play either gender, though i gravitate more toward using male faceclaims even if im playing a female character, as i find it easier to find pretty anime bois than girls. that being said, i think my female characters outnumber my male ones simply by virtue of me liking reverse traps.
If I said category two would you yell at me?

Honestly, I RP as both. It's so interesting being my female/male characters to practice out the personality aspects I gave them! As for preference, I'd rather be the male character. I can't recall how many male OC's I have but it's just something about being them I find more interesting than playing as a female OC. In the end though, both are fun.

You know, I've noticed a strange thing about me in relation to this.

I play plenty of female characters with more or less ordinary circumstances, but, recently, all my male characters have either genderbended at some point or crossdress. Hmmm...

It really depends for me; I myself am a girl and therefore am more familiar with writing for a girl character. However, I do play male characters when I want to, as I find it's good practice to play as both.
Really, I'm comfortable with anything, but I am most comfortable writing for my own gender.

When I first started roleplaying, I only played female characters because I thought that as a girl I couldn't properly write for a male character - especially when the plot turns to romance. Then one day I realized it's not like I know all that much first-hand about romance even from a female standpoint, so... :closed eyes open smile:

By now I don't care so much about whether I play as male or female. After all, in both cases, it's still basically the same in terms of the character having some more or less innate traits, a background that shapes them and a situation they are thrown into with those prerequisites, so yeah.

I still play females more often than males, but I think that's mostly out of habit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back