Advice/Help Do you care about the other persons OC (in doubling)?

I'm thinking about making a Rp Search Thread.
  • Do people care about other peoples OC's?
I was going to including a short desperation of my character and their dynamic with the character I'd like to ship with.
Do people care to see this kind of information in a persons search thread? I'm thinking under 5 sentences. Not a whole bio.
Would that information help you decide if you'd want to play the canon counterpart?

I am feeling my post would get a bit long if I wrote out each ship, plot idea, and basic info about pairing.

Please let me know your thoughts.

- Kisses

Usually to keep RP search threads from getting too long, people will simply say that they will give more information in PMs. I agree with this way of doing things. Not only does it keep things from looking cluttered, but it makes things seem more open and not like the interaction between the canon and OC have to go exactly the way you have written.

There is no universal answer to this.

I think posting short info about the OC on the search thread is good because that will give an idea to potential rp partner what kind of OC this will be and if they want to rp with it.
But it has to be really, well, short. Hard to judge on '5 sentences'. It doesn't seem too long but if they're long sentences that take up a page..... XD

If I wanted to rp with someone's OC, I'd like to know a bit about personality and what sort of relationship will be expected to build between this OC any my potential character. Maybe a very brief overview of bio, such as who the OC is now and what they do. I wouldn't need things like appearance or full bio in the search thread, all of that can be discussed later in PM if I'm interested in the plot.

If you have a lot of plots and ships you want to do, you may list a few that you're most interested in, and then if someone contacts you, you can offer more options.
In my experience, search threads shouldn't be short, but when they only consist of lists and lists of plots and ships it doesn't feel enticing either.

I actually like the opposite. Especially with OCs I like to be able to imagine them in my mind and how my character (canon or otherwise) might interact with the OC. If more information is presented in the search thread, it’s easier for me to decide if I’ll click with the OC/writer. I almost always prefer longer search threads over shorter ones. Of course, there should always be room for changes, but I like it when threads tell me precisely what the writer is looking for.

I've never really had luck with longer threads. My plots as a group gm can probably go on for pages with all the details, potential plot points, and descriptions of environments i want to implement in my rps. But I tend to find that a few paragraphs that highlights a key part of the rp is what hooks people.

As opposed to a mini chapter in media res opening like the lotr battle at mount doom. That just doesnt jive with people. But presenting a plot point and a hook that makes that wonder whats going on, seems to work better.

So with ocs and detail, i think its important to show off the character. Dont tell me that hes smart or funny or cool. Show me how he'd act in a scene. What would he do to mack on a chick. How would he react to playing hard to get. How does this rper portray flirting? Because i assume these 1x1 are all about pg13 couple shipping lol

I would say sharing the information over PMs would be best just to make sure you don’t overwhelm people AND to make sure they actually read the information.

I get people all the time who don’t read my search thread carefully (or seemingly at all) so I think for something that important you’ll want to give it do them directly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back