Viewpoint Do roleplays slow down or lose priority with you? Do you try to resolve it?

Present-ish.jpg

Your Local Germophobe.
I'm experiencing this thing, where I see a reply for a roleplay yet somehow it's not grabbing/holding my attention,,,,so I don't reply.

Is it bad to not say anything about this and just let it fade into the background? Do you tell the person that you think the roleplay is dead or dying?

Anyone ever experienced this? How do you react?

Does it count as ghosting?

I'm experiencing this thing, where I see a reply for a roleplay yet somehow it's not grabbing/holding my attention,,,,so I don't reply.
Anyone ever experienced this? How do you react?
Here is a stock image illustrating hype:

2781414-graph-with-downward-trend.jpg

As you can see by the image, hype is something which builds up, but at one point goes down again. Nomatter how much you enjoy an idea, the fact is that any story and anything you work on really will see a lowering of motivation, because not every scene is going to be a big moment- slow moments are inevitable, moments were you are neither at A or B but just getting there.

Now in this situation, there are three types of causes which warrant different responses:
A) The hype died out quickly as a result of you starting a roleplay with an unsustainable idea, this is, you started a roleplay on a whim because of a craving, but it was too reliant on hype and so it was doomed from the start.
For this kind of roleplay, you are better letting go and trying to hold back next time. I recommend as a rule of thumb 3 weeks between finishing whatever was making you hype for a roleplay idea, and actually putting it into action. If your hype can't last for 3 weeks, then it wouldn't in a roleplay either.

B) The hype died because the idea or character you were playing didn't match your expectations for what they would be like. If this is the case, you should leave the roleplay and ask yourself why those expectations weren't met. Did you have unrealistic expectations or was there simply a misunderstanding somewhere?

C) The hype died because altough you can sustain the idea, you reached a point in the story where the things that appealed to you have either been overdone or are in a process of transition, AKA a slower moment. If this is the situation, then you should still post. Letting go here means letting go of a roleplay you actually enjoy just because of a low moment. Of course, if you are in this situation either way you should be having some degree (even if minor) of fun even at this moment.
I'm not going to say it can't be difficult, but if you get through this your RP becomes more sustainable and more enjoyable after. Low moments don't last forever, and as you gain more skill as a roleplayer, you should gradually be able to craft your posts and organize with your partner in such a way as to improve your enjoyment even during those moments.

Is it bad to not say anything about this and just let it fade into the background? Do you tell the person that you think the roleplay is dead or dying?
Does it count as ghosting?

This doesn't just count as ghosting, what you're suggesting here IS ghosting. If you don't talk to your partner, things can't get better, and if you just "let it fade" from your partner's perspective you dropped from the face of the Earth with no warning.

Mmmm yeah, it happens occasionally. For me, I have two categories when it comes to replying:

1) All I want is to drop everything and read/reply.
2) Not feeling it at the moment/no urgency to reply.

The vast majority of the time it falls into the first category so there's never a problem, it simply comes down to me having the free time to reply. When it's the second category things get a little tricky.

Now, I believe that when you're in a writing partnership with someone, you have an obligation to be open and honest with them when things aren't working. The nice thing about writing is that it isn't hard to inject something new/fresh into a story to revitalize it, and it's also equally acceptable to scrap the project altogether. What isn't okay is leaving your partner in the dark about how you're feeling. If you just... never respond then yeah, that's the textbook definition of ghosting.

Personally, when I have days like that I normally just force myself to reply anyway. It might not be my best writing, but it gets something out there. I'll either add something in my post to create some drama/conflict to suck me back in, or directly message my partner to ask about plot-related stuff we can do to make it better.

If you don't think any of that is going to help then straight-up telling your partner "I've lost interest and I don't think I want to continue" is still world's better than saying nothing. Best case scenario you guys can work out a way to fix it (or create a new, more interesting, roleplay altogether) and worst case scenario they're upset at you but at least you didn't leave them hanging.

I'd recommend powering on through and posting anyway UNLESS this goes on for a significant period of time. For example, not feeling it today, phone in a post and maybe send an apology to your partner telling them you aren't feeling it, because most likely things will pick up. Maybe you need to discuss the plot direction with them. This isn't a problem and will happen from time to time even if the RP is super fun. If it goes on for literally weeks, and every time it's your post you can't stand the idea of writing it - drop the RP and TELL your partner. Communication, people!

I find that I do lose interest in RPs if I have been playing them for a really long time enthusiastically, because I just get tired at a certain point. But then I usually just move on to something else with the same partner or another partner. With my most successful RPs we have allowed ourselves to take breaks and change track, and follow where the enthusiasm leads. But it does involve talking to the person(s), so do that!

I have experienced this quite a few times. Where the hype that was once there suddenly dies. Which is always a shame. The longest I had an RP last is around six to seven or so months. That is for a group. But what I usually do when an RP dies, is to just keep replying. Keep it active for as long as possible. Though, eventually, it would be good to say something. Especially if you enjoy RPing with that person, and want to keep RPing with them. What you can do is try to suggest new ideas and change up the plot. Though, personally if you're unmotivated usually after slow moments, comes times of fast pacing. Usually, not always. But for me I usually still try to write or think of something even if it may take a while. Like I personally, think it doesn't matter how long you take to reply to an RP as long as in the end you're satisfied with what your wrote. As well, as you tried is all.

Now, I think personally not saying anything is possibly the worst thing you can do. I've done it before, and I regretted it. Especially by not saying anything you lose a lot of great partners and friends. So if you feel that way it's best to be honest. Or tell the person you're writing with, you want to take a break. I've had a couple of partners tell me that recently. And trust me it feels better than if they didn't say anything. But, if you sincerely like the roleplay experience you had with the person. Don't let it fade. Talk it out, figure things out. Sure I've been guilty of ghosting on numerous occasions. Mainly, cause I feel like with those individuals we were not fit to be partners. Though, I don't exactly know how to let them down gently. Or explain to them that I personally feel that we can't be partners. So in essence, best thing would be to be honest and open with your partner on how you feel.​

Yes, I've had this happen before. It is usally caused by the RP not moving or turns out it's not caught and held interest like I thought. Or the person is not a compatible partner.

It can be sad when it's a long term RP. The issue in that case is usually that the RP has taken a turn or stalled in a plot loop that has not kept my interest, and is frankly not moving out of it. Basically me and the other person has drifted off into different futures for the RP.

Unless the issue is the person is flat out not listening to me explaining I'm not enjoying things or they are being toxic a discussion may help. Or let the person know the RP is over.

I find whenever I join a group rp a few things happen:
  1. The GM ups and disappears
  2. People lose interest and it dies, I guarantee half the people who express interest will drop out before it even starts, especially if one is waiting a long time for it to begin (say weeks)
  3. The rp never gets started due to reason 1
  4. I always find it difficult to fit into the dynamic already set up and often feel ignored
  5. It dies shortly after I join, leading me to believe I’m cursed so to speak
For 1x1 rps these things usually happen:
  1. I get ghosted, a lot
  2. I respond to something and someone says they will message me and never do
  3. It goes okay for a while and then the person in charge of the 1x1 disappears or they get bored of the rp. In some cases they let me know, most of the time it is up and disappears without a word. Often these people are active in other rps but not with me, leading me to believe it is something I did.
  4. I get forced into romance which I hate
  5. The GM thinks they can off my characters in an rp if I leave. Yeah that happened before. I was pissed as I never agreed to that so I now store my characters in private workshop. Then again I rarely join rps where death is certain due to I get attached.
I am not confrontational. In a couple cases I have asked if we should change the plot to keep it going. They respond no, that won’t work so I say okay and usually stop talking to them. It hurts, especially if I am vested in something.

If I am ghosted, I make a point of never talking to or rp with that person again. Why waste my time when it will just likely happen again?

This results in my not bothering to role play with people as I have come to expect joining something will either die if I join or I will be ghosted in a 1x1 Or the person will lose interest shortly after. As a result I no longer role play or even try to seek people out to role play. But that is okay I guess as it is the same as when I write fan fiction. Nobody comments on those it seems or if they do I get...people flaming me and telling me to kill myself in one case, long story.

The point is I do nothing when I am ghosted or the gym just suddenly disappears on me. I’m scared of confrontation and worry about being blacklisted if that is a thing in rp world.

I also don’t like or know a lot of these things that people role play which leads me to having a much of things I am comfortable with so that makes it difficult. I am also old, in my early 30s and sometimes think I am too old to role play.

I have posted and powered through an rp I invest my time in, even reboot it. In this way I kept rps going far least a year though often feel like I am just role playing with myself at that point. It still does in the end but I tried. There is a sense of accomplishment that you tried at least to keep it

Granted I tend to write gore/detail. This is just how I write, detail and I think maybe that turns people off. My characters tend to be slaves or loners, often having anger issues. Some of that is due to I am a loner in real life and shy, I’ve always been so. Some of that might be due to working through my childhood and trying to make sense of it or I just like that type of character. So I guess that may be a reason people don’t role play with me.

Try to make not stagnant carbon copies of characters and change then up

My suggestion is try to contact your partner. Push through by posting replies, try to get a plot beforehand. If they do not respond or refuse to work with you, it might just be best to leave the rp.

Last edited:
Communication is important but I can say that until I'm blue in the face, in the end people are going to do what they want. I think you should tell your partner if something comes up or in this case if you're losing or have lost interest so you both are not avoiding the inevitable. There's no point really. Ultimately, whether or not you tell the person is your choice. It's something nice to do but again you have to do what you feel is best.

I've had it done and I've been on the end where I'm bored because I was leading the story, driving my characters with no input from my partners. That's a quick way for me to lose interest. I was upfront with them, told them I'm not keeping the story going on my own. Some understood, others didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back