• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Do Not Go Gentle [Fairy Tale Inspired] ⋆ Detailed

Do you want the focus to be on:

• Total voters

Bang Bang

what can I say except

Do Not Go Gentle

The world of fairy tales is one of a certain breed of magic; no heroes fire bolts of flames from their hands, but there are men who shall steal your firstborn infants in return for a granted wish you once made as a child. Here, to prick you finger on a thorn is to drop down dead, and little girls stuff unsuspecting crones into ovens.

Astara is a kingdom of folklore gods and immortal Witch Queens. The rules this land obeys are strange and twisted; Equal parts wonderland and nightmare, there are those who know how to play the game, and those fair pawns who are cast across the board by hands unseen and unknown.

This is a world where morality might win you a glass slipper or a curse for a hundred years. Protection is as easily lost as it is won. The fair are strong one second, victims the next. The wicked are your captors, or your dragons waiting to be slain.

This is a kingdom of stories. Words - written, spoken, thought - command more sway than the swing of a sword. Logic shall sift through your clenched fingers as soft and smooth as sand. The world shall show you many things: wonder carried on the wind, fear in a handful of dust.

This is the beginning; There are stories to be told.

And now, you can only hope that you are the one writing yours.

Discord | Sign-Ups | Main RP | Lore

coding by cychotic

The world of fairy tales is one of a certain breed of magic; no heroes fire bolts of flames from their hands, but there are men who shall steal your firstborn infants in return for a granted wish you once made as a child. Here, to prick you finger on a thorn is to drop down dead, and little girls stuff unsuspecting crones into ovens.

Astara is a kingdom of folklore gods and immortal Witch Queens. The rules this land obeys are strange and twisted; Equal parts wonderland and nightmare, there are those who know how to play the game, and those fair pawns who are cast across the board by hands unseen and unknown.

This is a world where morality might win you a glass slipper or a curse for a hundred years. Protection is as easily lost as it is won. The fair are strong one second, victims the next. The wicked are your captors, or your dragons waiting to be slain.

This is a kingdom of stories. Words - written, spoken, thought - command more sway than the swing of a sword. Logic shall sift through your clenched fingers as soft and smooth as sand. The world shall show you wonder carried on the wind, fear in a handful of dust.

This is the beginning; There are stories to be told.

And now, you can only hope that you are the one writing yours.

Last edited:
What To Expect
main rp | characters | Lore

Genres

Magical Realism ⋆ Fairy Tale ⋆ Fantasy ⋆ Political ⋆ Mythology ⋆ Surreal ⋆ Horror ⋆ Romanticism ⋆ Gothic ⋆ Drama

❀ For the most up to date announcements, please see the 'Announcements' channel on the discord. All links are also centralized there.

Lore
❀ The 'Bare Bones' of the Lore shall be finalized (hopefully) within a week. Once this is done, we shall be accepting character applications.
❀ Lore shall include the rules that govern the setting, its magic, the main plot lines, roles, locations, key figures, and so forth. It shall be fairly extensive (for reference to size, please see the Lore for the 'Electric Sheep' Roleplay).
❀ These 'Bare Bones' are just the skeleton framework of the world. Players are allowed and encouraged to create their own kingdoms, locations, characters, folklore, and so forth - these shall be added to the Lore Page, and will be available for other players to create characters in. However, plenty of Lore framework will be available for character creation without this.

Note: Player's lore may be based on any fairytale, fantasy setting, or one of their own creation, so long as it is in keeping with that of the Bare Bones. For more information, see the Lore section under 'Mechanics'.

Plotlines
There shall be various plotlines the players can choose to pursue, all at once or in any order. However, the main plot and several tangents shall revolve around the Kingdom of Astara - one locked in Eternal Winter, ruled by an Immortal Witch Queen and her Consort. It is a land surrounded by forest, in which the local Gods are said to dwell. It is a land of Cursed Princesses and Huntresses, fortune telling ravens and monstrous tigers walking side by side, and foxes who vanish into pools of blood.

In addition to the Fairy Tale elements, there shall be 'Game of Thrones'-esque movements within the world of politics; but equally, individual quests, character growth, and journeys are just as important. Players have a high-customisable choice as to where to focus their efforts, and what 'play style' they'd like to go for within the world.

There shall be foes to slay, monsters to overthrow, and knives pressed cold against the small of your back by those you love. And, of course, the kind of cruel magic that sits woven into the bones of stories such as these.

This roleplay shall contain dark and disturbing themes, as do many fairy tales - all in keeping with RPN's rules.

Applications
❀ Please comment down below what kind of roles, fairytales, etc you'd be interested in playing.
❀ Character applications are not yet being accepted - you may post a WIP at this juncture, but it is advised not to spend too much energy on them until the Lore has been nailed down.

Deadlines
❀ This roleplay shall ALWAYS BE ACCEPTING for new players and characters
❀ Do Not Go Gentle is not starting UNTIL FEBURARY; This is due to time constraints on the GM, to allow the Lore to be fully fleshed out, and to allow players enough time to develop their own lore should they choose to do so. Those who submit characters/comment interest will be messaged towards the start of the RP to ensure they know it is occurring.

code by cychotic

no slide

Last edited:
LOOKING FOR

To Post and Advertisement for a character you are looking for someone else to play in relation to your own, or to see what roles other players are looking for people to fill for them, go the Looking For Pinboard.​

Last edited:
Howdy! This thing up and runnin' again I see? Splendid! I had already expressed my interest previously, but I must say that I am extremely hyped for this rp!

Howdy! This thing up and runnin' again I see? Splendid! I had already expressed my interest previously, but I must say that I am extremely hyped for this rp!

Sold my soul by saying I'd delay it to Feburary so I can be in denial until then :P Glad you're still interested, and hopefully it'll be fun once it gets going :D I look forward to seeing what you come up with for it.

Bang Bang Bang Bang I think I've clicked on every interest check of yours and they're all top notch - this one is no exception. How are you planning to differentiate the magic and monsters here from other fantasy worlds? How connected to fairy tale mythology do you want/need the characters to be?

Bang Bang Bang Bang I think I've clicked on every interest check of yours and they're all top notch - this one is no exception. How are you planning to differentiate the magic and monsters here from other fantasy worlds? How connected to fairy tale mythology do you want/need the characters to be?
Excellent question - one I've been struggling with every step of the way with the lore! (Is it okay to admit that? Who knows). This is going to be a blend of the two, magical realism and fantasy in the following ways:
- 'Fantasy-esque' races will be available
- Magic shall be extremely limited for characters, whilst, like in fairytales, it is the universe and its laws of what it seems to deem 'good' or 'bad' that determines the effect of that magic upon you (see Charms and Curses of the Mechanics system)
- Once I get my ass in gear, there shall be several diverging plotlines (that shall later converge and aid the overall plot) that follow the arcs of traditional fairytales.
- In addition, the world shall obey the surreal, not-quite-solid-logic logic of fairy tales.
- Heavy use of symbolism and fairy tale-esque 'horror' (more sublime terror than horror; for reference, see Freud's essay 'The Uncanny')
- Me trying to reference every god damn piece of fairy-tale media under the sun.

In short, a blend of mechanics, world-building, lexis, and limitations. Having said that, people who want to go down the fantasy route more so than the fairy tale one can do, or the political one; The Wilds are the predominant area of magic, thus the most fairy tale 'vibes' heavy. The Cities are less so, more fantasy slanted.

I hope that answers your question, and I got too 'right let me figure this out for myself' to say: thank you very much RE interest checks, it's good to know whether or not they work since I feel I'm a terrible judge of these things.

either way, thank you for the interest and I hope the rest lives up to the Interest Check :)

I imagine finding and sticking to the right balance will be a struggle. Political fantasy (which I love) has a different rhythm and range of conflicts than say, Little Red Riding Hood or Beauty and the Beast. Too heavy a political slant could drown out the fairy tale (surreal) quality of your narrative - not that you're not aware of that.

I'm interested in looking over the lore when it's finished. It sounds like this might just be the RP to really get ambitious as a writer.

I imagine finding and sticking to the right balance will be a struggle. Political fantasy (which I love) has a different rhythm and range of conflicts than say, Little Red Riding Hood or Beauty and the Beast. Too heavy a political slant could drown out the fairy tale (surreal) quality of your narrative - not that you're not aware of that.

I'm interested in looking over the lore when it's finished. It sounds like this might just be the RP to really get ambitious as a writer.

Painfully aware of it - political fantasy relies on social logic and the rules of society, whilst fairytales tends to be a breakdown or seemingly erratic universe that preforms actions of benefaction and malevolence with little adherence to a consistent 'rule book'.

RE your last comment, that's exactly what I'm hoping for to keep it in the right tone - it's up to players and writers as well to imbue their arcs and writing with the surreal tone of magical realism. So if you fancy stretching some writing limbs perhaps less used in conventional political fantasy (which I also deeply love) hopefully this RP will be a good vehicle for it :)

Thanks again for the interest!

This looks like an interesting concept! I don't know whether I'd be able to actually participate or not (that depends on how busy I am when it rolls around), but I would like to tagged when it begins, if that's alright. If nothing else, I think I would enjoy reading it. (:

U P D A T E

The first 1/4 of Locations have been added, specifically, those in the immediate vicinity. Coming soon shall be other species, some further folklore, plots, and farther locations.​

Totally into this too! Enjoying your GMing Bang Bang Bang Bang so would love to join. No idea what sort of thing I'd wanna play yet, would rather wait for more lore, but I do have a soft spot for gentle monster/demon boys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back