Experiences Do I even bother pitching roleplays on this site anymore?

I think I've reached a point on this site where I'm not even sure if trying to pitch a roleplay on this site is even worth a moment of my breath anymore. I mean, almost every time I put up an interest check or I try to set something up with someone, my interest checks go ignored or the person I'm setting something up with ghosts me. And it has gotten bad to the point where I'm afraid to put energy into writing a new interest check or contacting people out of fear of being ignored or ghosted. So I wonder: Do I even bother pitching roleplays anymore?

Do you have niche RP interests? That can sometimes make it more difficult.

Hoyo.

Something you might try is simplifying your interest checks to just a few sentences.

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to start (insert type of RP). The story is (insert one-sentence story summary).

If you're interested please let me know and we can talk about more details!

Something like this would work just fine. And often this is more effective since the bigger your interest check, the less likely people are to read through the walls of text you add.

Use less energy, carry no expectations, and you'll be doing better mentally and emotionally if and when they don't get any traction.

Cheers!

Do you have niche RP interests? That can sometimes make it more difficult.
Well, my main RP interests lie in fandoms such as Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Mario, Grand Theft Auto, Pokémon (Up until X and Y) and Animal Crossing. And for original plots my main RP interests lie in mermaids, action plots based on Schwarzenegger, Stallone, Willis et cetera movies, adventure plots based on Indiana Jones and Tomb Raider, and so on. You think that's one of the issues?

Hoyo.

Something you might try is simplifying your interest checks to just a few sentences.

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to start (insert type of RP). The story is (insert one-sentence story summary).

If you're interested please let me know and we can talk about more details!

Something like this would work just fine. And often this is more effective since the bigger your interest check, the less likely people are to read through the walls of text you add.

Use less energy, carry no expectations, and you'll be doing better mentally and emotionally if and when they don't get any traction.

Cheers!
Alright, next time I make an interest check, I'll try doing that. Thanks for the advice.

Next time you post an interest check @me and I'll critique it for you!
My last interest check got like 20 responses, so I don't think it's the site. It may be "marketing" your idea.

I think I've reached a point on this site where I'm not even sure if trying to pitch a roleplay on this site is even worth a moment of my breath anymore. I mean, almost every time I put up an interest check or I try to set something up with someone, my interest checks go ignored or the person I'm setting something up with ghosts me. And it has gotten bad to the point where I'm afraid to put energy into writing a new interest check or contacting people out of fear of being ignored or ghosted. So I wonder: Do I even bother pitching roleplays anymore?
Yes. If you want to write, you continue. You may reach a rough patch but if it's something you enjoy doing you keep at it.
That's just like writing to improve. We all start off somewhere but in order to get better, we keep at it right? Partner searching, putting your request thread out there is no different. Not only should you keep your request thread out there, you should reach out to others as well. It could be a fandom you are looking to do matches up with someone else who is looking too. It just takes time. I'm afraid ghosting is not something that will stop so you just got to keep putting yourself out there and take the good with the bad as far as roleplay is concerned.

Now, if you don't mind. I did look at your request thread. I'm just giving my opinion which you are free to take with a grain of salt. It's not bad. There are just some things that could be clearer. I say that from the perspective of me looking for someone to write with. It seems you may primarily be looking for fandoms? I saw some original settings mixed in but it's a bit confusing. Maybe have an area for all the fandoms you want to do, canon x canon if that's your thing, or oc x oc or oc x canon. And have an area for the original plots/ideas and genres. Everything is kind of together.

You are very justified in what you are comfortable with I will say that. From what I've seen on this website there are all different age groups. Young, middle, older. You might be narrowing your partner pool a little with the no one older than 30 but again that's your comfort and you have that right. Just saying. In any event I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do.

Yes. If you want to write, you continue. You may reach a rough patch but if it's something you enjoy doing you keep at it.
That's just like writing to improve. We all start off somewhere but in order to get better, we keep at it right? Partner searching, putting your request thread out there is no different. Not only should you keep your request thread out there, you should reach out to others as well. It could be a fandom you are looking to do matches up with someone else who is looking too. It just takes time. I'm afraid ghosting is not something that will stop so you just got to keep putting yourself out there and take the good with the bad as far as roleplay is concerned.

Now, if you don't mind. I did look at your request thread. I'm just giving my opinion which you are free to take with a grain of salt. It's not bad. There are just some things that could be clearer. I say that from the perspective of me looking for someone to write with. It seems you may primarily be looking for fandoms? I saw some original settings mixed in but it's a bit confusing. Maybe have an area for all the fandoms you want to do, canon x canon if that's your thing, or oc x oc or oc x canon. And have an area for the original plots/ideas and genres. Everything is kind of together.

You are very justified in what you are comfortable with I will say that. From what I've seen on this website there are all different age groups. Young, middle, older. You might be narrowing your partner pool a little with the no one older than 30 but again that's your comfort and you have that right. Just saying. In any event I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do.
Alright, if you say that it's worth to keep trying to pitch roleplays on this site despite the infinite amount of ignorance and ghosting, then I'll take your word for it and keep at it.

Alright, if you say that it's worth to keep trying to pitch roleplays on this site despite the infinite amount of ignorance and ghosting, then I'll take your word for it and keep at it.
If you are looking for partners, it's probably best not to have that type of attitude. I mean, if you're feeling that way about the site people are going to ask what are you even here for in the first place.

If you are looking for partners, it's probably best not to have that type of attitude. I mean, if you're feeling that way about the site people are going to ask what are you even here for in the first place.
That's a good point, and I will avoid having such an attitude when looking for partners. However, it's difficult to not have such an attitude when I get ghosted like 9 times out of 10.

That's a good point, and I will avoid having such an attitude when looking for partners. However, it's difficult to not have such an attitude when I get ghosted like 9 times out of 10.
Everyone gets ghosted though. Ghosting is going to happen, there's nothing you can do about it other than change how you respond to it. It has no reflection on you as a roleplayer. It gets frustrating, naturally, but if that's the only thing you take from roleplay you are going to miss out.

Everyone gets ghosted though. Ghosting is going to happen, there's nothing you can do about it other than change how you respond to it. It has no reflection on you as a roleplayer. It gets frustrating, naturally, but if that's the only thing you take from roleplay you are going to miss out.
I know that ghosting is something that happens to everyone, and you're right that while it is frustrating, the only thing we can do about it is choose how we respond to it. And I'm aware that the best response you can give to ghosting to dust your shoulders off and keep on moving, and if I want to get ahead as a roleplayer on this site, I should do what everyone does whenever they get ghosted: Dust my shoulders off and keep on moving, looking for the next potential roleplaying partner. And if they end up ghosting me as well, keep a cool mind about it and keep on looking, since there is bound to be someone who will stick in due time.

I mean, the last several group RP ideas I tried to pitch never worked out. Actually, none of the group ideas I tried to pitch have worked out for me since I joined the site. And pretty much every group I've joined on the site has either fallen apart before it got started, or just never got started to begin with. It's just the nature of the beast. I dont really put out reqs often. But I do it even less nowadays.

As far as your interest check: Fandom - Alex's Fandom Plaza

Well, I can't help you there because its a bunch of fandoms I really can't relate to, and I'm almost 10 years over your age limit. lol
Your list is pretty specific. So by default, the RPer that will meet those requirements is in a smaller pool.

Take it from someone who's been roleplaying for over 20 years now, when it comes to initially to getting people initially interested in your RPG, just doing a basic interest check will do. Heck you can even post several ideas. But it is harder to find players if the idea is very specific. I have seen people post several ideas for 1x1 rpgs in one Interest Check post. Whether you do a 1x1 RPG or a Group one, I find that the most successful RPGs have very active OOC moments because the RPG becomes more enjoyable if you're more interactive with the people you're playing with. Tell me Alex, have you just tried interacting with players and tried bouncing ideas off of them?

Also I did check out what Beckon said, and I do agree with what was said.

Tell me Alex, have you just tried interacting with players and tried bouncing ideas off of them?
I think I have tried that. I'm currently doing an RP with someone and we're bouncing ideas off of each other as the plot for the RP continues, but I don't really recall if I have done that when trying to find new partners. You think not being interactive with my partners enough is one of the reasons why I'm struggling to find new partners?

I think you need to be proactive if you want to find partners. Some people don't even have search threads at all but still manage to find partners just by talking to people.
If you see someone else's thread and think your rp expectations match, try contacting them first and maybe you can create fun rp ideas together.

Popping in to say a few words of wisdom (though it highly depends on how you see it I guess). I've said it in another thread before I'm sure, but I'll reiterate to fit context. First and foremost I completely agree with user Inno, especially:

Your love for writing is detached from ghosting/interest given to your thread. In fact I'll say it here: fuck people's interests. Fuck trying to get their interests, fuck trying to hope for them to be interested. Write your interest check the way you want to, be as specific as you'd like. In fact, I suggest you to be as specific as possible. Narrow your interests down, set your boundaries and don't move them. The people who would respond to you wouldn't be a lot, yes, but I guarantee you they would also be twice as loyal.

Of course I agree with user Beckoncall, it might be a marketting issue. I agree that, for example, an interest check that is more concise might do the job better. Get to the point, provide a writing sample, let them know exactly who you are and what you want in as few sentences possible. But NEVER settle for anything you're not comfortable with. Writing is passion work, and passion cannot be forced.

Oh, also it might help tidying up even with a simple code. Heck, maybe even just bold the headers of your interests. I've looked at your interest check and I have to say my vision immediately shuts down at the sight of it by God, maybe that's just me.

Oh, also it might help tidying up even with a simple code. Heck, maybe even just bold the headers of your interests. I've looked at your interest check and I have to say my vision immediately shuts down at the sight of it by God, maybe that's just me.
It might be just you. Because I thought the format of the req was perfectly fine and organized. IMO, the annoying reqs are the ones with too much coding. You know the ones, where you have a box with moving images and like three other boxes that all scroll independently of each other. I dont even bother reading those, even if the title was catchy. I just hit the back button.

I can sympathize, there is a lot of ghosting that goes on and I'm not sure what to think about it. I didn't even think it was going to be as bad as people said when I first started out here. You can be totally for everything and always engage with someone, but nine times out of ten you're going to get ghosted, consistently too.

I can sympathize, there is a lot of ghosting that goes on and I'm not sure what to think about it. I didn't even think it was going to be as bad as people said when I first started out here. You can be totally for everything and always engage with someone, but nine times out of ten you're going to get ghosted, consistently too.
Woah, woah.. let's not single out RPN here. Ghosting happens on pretty much any and every roleplay venue I've ever been on. Hell, it happened to me (and I've done it to people) before there was even a term for it. I'm sure some sites/platforms have higher and lower chances, and sometimes it's even a seasonal thing. But to single out this site in particular is a little short-sighted. js

Woah, woah.. let's not single out RPN here. Ghosting happens on pretty much any and every roleplay venue I've ever been on. Hell, it happened to me (and I've done it to people) before there was even a term for it. I'm sure some sites/platforms have higher and lower chances, and sometimes it's even a seasonal thing. But to single out this site in particular is a little short-sighted. js
I apologize for the rude comment of mine, as it isn't well to single out this site. I just have no experience with any other rp site, so I cannot comment on any of them. Rpnation is the only actual RP community I have ever joined.

I apologize for the rude comment of mine, as it isn't well to single out this site. I just have no experience with any other rp site, so I cannot comment on any of them. Rpnation is the only actual RP community I have ever joined.
ah... well, I'm a veteran of two and a half decades of RPing online. Lemme just impart to you that ghosting is part of the hobby. It goes hand in hand with seeking out partners. So when it happens to you (because it will. Repeatedly. Despite your best efforts to avoid it) dont let it get you down. It's just part of the sorting process. ;-)

I one hundred percent get that this is a bit of an older thread but I want to put in a bit of my two cents. I am sort of spread over the internet. I give myself options and there is something to be said about certain forums having their golden age and then dying and then randomly gathering up an audience again. Try exploring different mediums over the internet. There is always a new trend.
Currently, I am trying to explore discord for example. It has its set of challenges. Even changing to a new medium it takes time and practice.
Interest checks are always important for any role play. Second, you gotta find a medium that works for your group. RPN is full of all sorts of people but it might not be targeted to your specific interest. Do a quick google search online. It takes research and work. It's been some time since I had a successful role play and I've always sort of struggled on RPN. I think that it has been around for so long and there is such a large base its just going through a weird stagnant period but it could always pick up.
I think it was already suggested but keep it simple to start but keep it firmly structured. Players like direction and simplicity when it comes down to it. A group enjoys building lore together. Even if they say they like everything all set up to begin. It's not true. You need to collaborate with a good core group of like five minimum and like honestly no more than ten maximum. I find that's a golden ratio for me.

Currently, I am trying to explore discord for example. It has its set of challenges. Even changing to a new medium it takes time and practice.
And how ARE you finding Discord? I've tried my hand at it. Joined since before they were mobile friendly, actually. Personally, I find the community there to be a bit too "immediate response or nothing", and not at the "lit level" that I'm looking for. It's weird because their RP servers will often have those assignable roles that everyone seems to love slapping on, and oftentimes there is a "literacy role" with Advanced Lit and Novella as options. Yet, no one actually posts in either manner.

And that's if the server is even active. I mean, sure they bump it. but the only thing going on is memes and gen chat channels. and no actual RPing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back