• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic [DMed RP/Open] This Lonely Silence

Venom Adhamm

No one is ever going to want me
This is meant to be a DMed RP. I will be acting as the DM. That means you will create a character and control only the actions of that character, while I control the world, NPCs, and the outcome of your character's actions. You may elect to have a private RP where it'll just be the two of us, or you can choose to be with other players. However, if choosing the latter, you must decide which players you want to be in a group with, and all your characters must already know each other (though they can be just recently acquainted). If you are in a group with other players, you may at any point break off from the group and have a private RP. All instances of this RP will take place completely independently of each other.

https://www.rpnation.com/threads/this-lonely-silence-characters.296500/
https://www.rpnation.com/threads/this-lonely-silence-ooc.296499/

"It's hard, you know. It's difficult. It's... very, very painful. I just... I don't know what to do, anymore. I've... I've always... wanted... Shit... I'm crying, sorry. No, no... I'll be... not fine but... I won't need a tissue. I was saying... that... it's been this way since elementary school. Always alone. No friends. Nobody to listen to me, or speak to me. That's all I want. I just want a friend, you know, one that I don't have to pay to make appointments with. I've never had a friend. Nobody speaks to me. It's depressing. It makes me depressing, makes nobody want to be around me. It's terrible because if I want friends, I have to stop being depressed. But to stop being depressed, I need to have friends. It's a vicious circle, and I think... it might just be best to turn that circle into a noose."

"Yes... yes, I'm getting on in my years. Listen... can you touch my hand? Just... any part of it. Please. I've been starved for human connection since before Subsidized Time... Yes, I'm that old. I don't even want any money. I'm a beggar, but I don't beg for Credits. I only need physical attention. Just a touch. No... I won't do anything weird... Please... won't you just... okay... that's alright... I understand... I'm just a freak. Think I'll just starve to death here."

"Lord God, if you are there... please forgive me. It has been thirty years now, and I have received nothing but silence from you and from the others on this planet. I cannot bear it anymore. The silence drains me, wounds me, breaks me. It makes me angry and cruel. I hope you forgive me for returning to you the gift of life. I simply cannot bear the burden of living anymore."

"Hi. Yes. Name's Addison Adams. Yes, that's my real name. Yes, I'm a guy. Yeah, you can understand partly why I'm doing this now? Okay, thank you. Huh? You have different options? No, I don't want to peruse the selections. Just give me whatever's the fastest and most painless. Yes, I've written my will already. Okay, great. No, I don't have any funeral plans. Don't need any. Nobody would show up anyway."

"And we are back on air, welcome back. As always, Channel 4 is brought to you and sponsored by Gabriel's Augments. Sign up on their website now with promo-code "Channel 4" to get a free augmentation holo-pamphlet. In today's news, suicide rates have been on the rise. The primary cause, experts say, is loneliness. Strangely, in our interconnected age, people are feeling less connected to others. If you're feeling sad or lonely, there's lot of places to make new friends! Just hit up a local bar, and make sure to bring some friends with you so you won't look weird and out-of-place and scare off everyone because they know for a fact you're a social outcast who association with would provide no practical benefit. Next up is the weather report, brought to you and sponsored by Tellus Information Incorporated. Now, what are we looking at here, Max? Umbrellas or picnic baskets?"

This Lonely Silence

A bitter and darkly comedic journey through a cyberpunk world.

Table of Contents:

1) The World, Through the Perspective of God
2) The World, Through the Perspective of Man
3) Augmentations
4) Perks
5) Notes and Explanation of Systems
6) Character Sheet and Thread

1) The World, Through the Perspective of God

Silence.

2) The World, Through the Perspective of Man

cyberpunk_by_dges-d5olb0t.jpg

Time has been subsidized. It is currently the Year of Walltek Munitions. Last year was the Year of Killer-Cola. Next year will be the Year of Ziegfrid Studios. Few on the planet of Solus can remember when years were counted by numbers. You reside in the Democratic Republic of Ieras, a country full of life and light, both of which coming in artificial and natural varieties. Ieras is a country made up of several islands, all of which are connected by the Highspeed Island Transit-Line. Due to its geographical nature, Ieras is physically isolated from all other nations, but keeps up with diplomatic and trade relations. Ieras is not currently at war with any country and holds a seat on the Council of Solus.

At night, the lights of cars and buildings shine out. This is truly the future. Beneath the lights have always been various strange occurrences. But, in recent months, these occurrences have been getting more frequent, and much stranger. From people disappearing in broad streetlight, to people with powers that cannot be attributed to augmentations. Many believe these are troubled times. Looking deeper into people's lives these days, however, show a much darker image. More and more, people are withdrawing from the world, either by choice or by other circumstance. Recent polls from The Galager Post suggest that 23% of people have reported feeling "so absolutely lonely that I don't think I have any chance at going on any more and I have already set up an appointment at my local euthanasia center." Stock prices for various euthanasia companies have been rising.

Strange occurrences and increasing rates of loneliness and suicide are not the only problems today that plague Ieras. Gangs and government corruption run through the streets, though this is the case for every nation these days. The police force does their best to control the gangs, but they can only do so much. Still, the minds of most people are not on the crime and corruption. Most people are focused on these strange occurrences, and for good reason. Said occurrences are a danger to public health. And, as a result, the Investigation Incorporation has risen up to prominence.

The Investigation Incorporation has existed since the Year of Black-Gold Jewelers, but only now do people really pay attention to it. Their mission statement is "To resolve any and all issues, for a price." They are, in essence, glorified mercenaries. Though, they fight not for a country, but for individual clients. Their services are very broad, from clearing out rats, to removing gang influence from an area, to investigating potential paranormal activity. All one must do is file a "quest" through the Investigation Incorporation website or at one of the Investigation Incorporation's buildings. The quest is read and set up on a bounty board, at which point an Investigation Incorporation Associate may undertake and complete the quest. Service fees are determined based on how difficult the quest seems at first, but fees may rise if associates undertaking the quest find it to be far more than it appears on the surface.

You are an associate of the Investigation Incorporation. Don't consider yourself too special though, requirements for joining are not very high, as you don't have a salary. You are only paid based on the quests you complete. So, get to work. Be wary though. All things have a reason, and there is certainly a reason for all the strange occurrences popping up. Maybe you'll be able to unearth that reason. Then again, maybe it's best that you don't.

3) Augmentations

We live in a wonderful world where you are no longer stuck with the body you're given. Augmentations are commonplace. You may choose, if you like, one starting augmentation from the list below. There are more to discover and gain, however. If choosing a limb augment, make sure to specify which arm/leg is the prosthetic.

Arm Augments: Selecting an arm augment will passively provide you with increased strength in melee combat when using the prosthetic arm to attack. Your prosthetic arm is also less likely to be crippled.

Magnetic - You cannot be disarmed when wielding a metal weapon in your prosthetic hand. You may also be able to pull smaller metal objects (within a certain range) to yourself.

Zip-gun - There's a small pistol hidden in your prosthetic. It may be quickly aimed and fired at any point in time. It can only hold three bullets before it must retract into the arm to reload.

Knife-edge - A blade can extend from your prosthetic to be used against enemies through either slashing or stabbing.

Leg Augments: Selecting a leg augment will passively provide you with increased speed and kicking-power. Your prosthetic leg is also less likely to be crippled.

In-built Cleats - Spikes may extend from your prosthetic foot. They can be used to put more damage into your kicks, or to briefly attach yourself to structures.

Launch Pad - Your prosthetic foot is equipped with thrusters that fire off in short bursts, allowing you to jump farther or swiftly dodge enemy attacks.

Soft Step - Your footsteps are quieted considerably, but are not completely silent. If you gain a second prosthetic leg and apply this augment to that one as well, then your steps will be entirely silenced.

HUD Upgrades: Though you are already fitted with a basic HUD, you may wish to have it improved, rather than gaining an entirely new cybernetic fitting.

Danger Indicator - Allows you to judge how dangerous someone or something may be, relative to your combat ability, though a quick scan.

Night-vision Overlay - Allows you to see clearly in the dark without the use of a flashlight, even in pitch-black areas.

Hacking (Level I) - Hacking upgrades allow you to access electronics through your HUD. The first level will allow you to switch nearby lights off for a period of time. The first level must first be acquired before acquiring the second level, and so on.

4) Perks

People all have something that makes them special. What about you? What makes you special? You may pick one of the perks below. More perks may be gained through quests.

Zephyr - The wind is with you, and it always will be. You move far more swiftly than most. As such, you will always have the first attack in a combat scenario, even when ambushed and caught off-guard by the enemy.

Come Fly With Me - The gift of the silver tongue is with you, and those who hear you are more likely to agree with you. Your skills of persuasion and intimidation are the envy of all, and you have an easier time convincing people to look at things from your perspective.

Forged in Shadow - When enemies are unaltered to your presence, remaining motionless in darkness will render you completely invisible. Furthermore, people and creatures will have a harder time detecting you in general.

Don't Panic - Keep a calm mind at all times, for tranquility of mind leads to balance in the body. You will not suffer de-buffs or disadvantages from being at critical health.

Of Steel and Lead - You will be able to wield all weapons with one hand, and be able to reload all guns with one hand as well. And, whenever using both a melee weapon and a ranged weapon at the same time, you are provided with a damage boost.

The War Economy - Life is an endless war, it's best to try to make a bit of money off of it. You will find more money, and more valuable items, on the corpses of foes you or your companions have slain.

Blackstar - You will die one day, as death comes for us all. When you lose your life and fall, you will be resurrected where you died, with 5% of your health. This will only happen for you once. Die twice, and die forever.

5) Notes and Explanation of Systems

-Though this is a cyberpunk RP, your choice of weapons is fairly vast. Melee weapons can be just as effective as guns. Do not hesitate to pick what you feel suits you best.

-You will be given the option to design your own personal weapon to start with. It may be a melee weapon, a ranged weapon, or a hybrid. Your weapon will not be accepted if it appears too overpowered. You are also not stuck with the weapon you design. You may obtain other weapons throughout the RP, and you may even obtain upgrades for your personal weapon. Laser or Plasma weapons do not exist and cannot be used.

-You control only your character and their actions, nothing else.
-Please put some effort into your posts. I don't want to deal with one-liners and not much else.
-If you die, you may choose to create a new character, but you may not rejoin the group you were previously in with that character.

-Don't godmod, make a perfect character, so on and so forth.

-Once you're in combat, you can only perform one attack/ability-cast (unless otherwise modified through a passive ability or through the active ability you're using) per turn (that is, per post). Trying to block with a shield/weapon or trying to dodge an attack does not end your turn. Furthermore, understand that you have more options than simply attacking with an ability or striking with your primary weapon. You're encouraged to be creative in order to defeat enemies.

-I do not keep track of maximum ammunition. You have infinite maximum ammunition.

-I will be writing your replies in second-person, but do not hesitate at all to let me know if you would prefer I write your posts in third-person

-To join, visit the Characters Thread linked at the top and follow instructions.

Last edited:
Sherri Faulks

[100/100 HP]

[50/50 Energy]

Abilities:

[Petrol Bomb] - [15 Energy] - Light and throw out an improvised incendiary grenade at enemies. It shatters and explodes on impact, spreading out fire from the point of impact. The speed and amount of fire-spread is dependent upon the material the bomb is thrown at.

[Combat Roll] - [10 Energy] - Roll, either away from or towards enemies. If rolling away from an enemy, you take less damage from anything that hits you during that turn, with a chance to avoid damage entirely. If rolling towards an enemy, your next attack will deal increased damage. This ability does not take a turn, and another action can be taken after using it.

"Eyup, eyup, eyup. I been doin' this ol' job since the Year of the Vraum Holographic Keyboard. Just rowin' my little boat along. Lots'a people like the old world and rustic feeling of bein' on a rowboat. Some people can't afford much else, eyup eyup. It's good fun though, good good fun. Nothin' else I'd wanna do wit' myself. 'Cept maybe die quietly, haha," the boatman says. He's a tan-skinned, short and stout man at about in his forties or fifties. He wears plain brown clothes, along with a pair of black Venus Augmented Reality goggles[1]. You'd gotten on his boat at a very low expense, since the island you were heading to is very close and waiting on the Transit Line wouldn't be as fast, especially since everyone is heading to work right now. The sun has just finished rising by the time the boat stops.

"Eyup, this here's yer stop. You take care now, heard this place's dangerous," the man tells you.

"Not cuz of gangs or nuthin. It's just cuz a species of spider lives here, called the Carson Spider[2]. Heard it's real dangerous. You best be careful."

You disembark from the boat onto the island you've arrived at. Just ahead of you is a large, mostly empty space, save for one warehouse. Looks abandoned, at least by decent folk. The windows have been painted a deep, opaque black, preventing you from seeing inside. Looking past the warehouse, you can see a city of lights lies beyond this empty space. The skyline is lit by neon lights that are now, one-by-one, starting to switch off due to the rising of the sun making them no longer necessary. The quest you picked up at the Investigation Incorporation stated lots of noise has been coming out from this warehouse, loud enough to upset people a few blocks away. You're tasked to find out what's causing the noise, and then deal with it.

"I lied about the gangs. There's lotsa them!" the boatman calls out as he begins furiously rowing away from the island.

His voice carries for a bit, then dies out, as does the sound of his rowing. Soon, the sound of the ocean that surrounds and permeates Ieras fades into the back of your mind as well. And then, silence.

Quest Started: [I Was Meant for the Stage] - You've arrived at the warehouse, the cause of several noise complaints. Currently, there isn't very much noise coming out of it.

[1]: Venus-brand Augmented Reality goggles came around before time was subsidized. They offer the most basic HUD, and very few people use them. They're only found on HUD-history enthusiasts and very old corpses.

[2]: The Carson Spider is a type of nine-legged spider that is known for walking around very strangely (on account of it having more limbs on one side than the other) and being very poisonous. It can be identified by its white color, short blond hairs, and blue eyes. The Carson Spider was discovered by a biologist in the Year of the Ui Cookie Company. The following is an excerpt from the transcript of a late-night interview of the scientist:

JIM OLIVE: So you're the one who discovered the Carson Spider?

DR. RUSHAM BOTTLE: Yes, that's right.

JIM OLIVE: And you're the one that named the species?

DR. RUSHAM BOTTLE: That's correct.

JIM OLIVE: Why did you choose to call it the "Carson Spider?"

DR. RUSHAM BOTTLE: Boy, let me tell you.

[DR. RUSHAM BOTTLE WITHDRAWS A BOTTLE OF ALCOHOL FROM HIS SATCHEL, TAKING A LONG SWIG FROM IT AND SLAMMING IT DOWN ON THE TABLE]

DR. RUSHAM BOTTLE: It was all because of this little shit white-boy blond-hair dickhead that I went to high school with. His name was Carson and he was the greatest pain in my ass, just like that damn poisonous-as-all-Hell spider. So whenever I crush one of those shitty critters, I can say "hey, I crushed Carson."

JIM OLIVE: I see... Does this Carson know that you've named the spider after him?

DR. RUSHAM BOTTLE: No, no, of course not. I killed that little bitch a long time ago.

[A SILENT ALARM IS PRESSED. OFFICERS RUSH IN AND GRAB THE DOCTOR, DRAGGING HIM AWAY]

DR. RUSHAM BOTTLE: YOU DAMN APES, YOU BETTER LET GO OF ME. YOU WON'T GET NOTHING OUT OF ME, NOTHING! TORTURE ME ALL YOU WANT YOU DAMN FEDS, BUT YOU'LL NEVER FIND THE BODY!

@Silas

Last edited by a moderator:
Sherri watched the nutty old fellow row away, and shrugged her shoulders. Although the prospect of gangsters being present sent a tiny shiver down her spine, at least there were people worth shooting here. Part of her itched to pop some caps into those sorts of degenerates. Of course, she planned on keeping her eyes peeled for secondary threats as well, namely those tiny arachnoid bastards.

Sherri mumbled something incomprehensible before withdrawing her handgun from its holster and briefly checking it over. One in the chamber, safety off, slide unracked. That... was the right way to carry it, right? Probably, she thought.

Sherri took a deep breath, and began to approach the warehouse to scope out any entry points. She kept her pistol lowered to avoid spooking anybody that she didn't want to spook.

Sherri Faulks

You draw the cruel weapon from its holster.

[Semiautomatic Handgun]

[7/7 shots]

Your weapon lowered, you approach the warehouse. There aren't many entry points, at least, for you. The windows are too high up for someone without any help, gadgets, or augmentations to reach. The only ways open to you, it appears, are the large sliding-doors on the North and South sides of the warehouse. You're pretty sure they're not locked, chained, or otherwise secured.

Closer now to the warehouse, you're able to hear people speaking, though you're unable to make out entire conversations or sentences.

"...need to... left..."

"...when?"

"...when... we kill the non-augmented..."

"...oh... and then I... dunk their heads... water?"

"...that's right... let's practice..."

As you listen in to bits of conversation, you look directly above and notice a small, white, nine-legged creature with blond hairs descending from the roof on a string of silk.

@Silas

Didn't sound like they were planning very scrupulous activities in there. From what Sherri could gather, the folks inside the warehouse had something against non-augs like herself... a little hurtful, to say the least. And then there was something about drowning people... and practicing it...? Something along those lines. Oh boy, time to shoot some people.

Then the spider showed up, startling Sherri. Thankfully, she wasn't the sort of woman that screamed very often, but she did make a surprised "Wuhhh-?" noise. She cautiously stepped out of the Carson Spider's descent path, hoping the wind didn't blow the rappelling arachnid towards her. And if it did, well, she'd try to smack the fucker.

If avoiding the spider went fine, she'd inspect the large sliding doors. They didn't make ideal entry points in her mind (might make noise), and the windows were too high up. There was surely a conventional service door somewhere around here.

Sherri Faulks

You're able to avoid the Carson Spider without much of a problem. The arachnid descends a bit further, rotates slowly on its web for a few moments, then starts to ascend back to the roof. With the spider a non-issue currently, you move to check out each of the sliding doors. Upon closer inspection, the age of the doors is clear, and you're certain they'd make quite a loud noise if opened, no matter whether you tried to open them slowly or quickly. Checking around the warehouse, it seems that there aren't any other points of entry. However, in the quiet emptiness, you can hear water beneath you. Sewage tunnels running below. You could probably find the manhole leading down around this area. However, whether the sewers are safe[1], and whether you're able to surface inside the warehouse is a gamble you'd have to take.

[1]: It's a known fact that there exist denizens who have chosen to live in the sewers. There are many pros and cons to such a decision.

PROS:

• It's mostly quiet.
  • Close community, you get to make friends without much trouble.
  • No traffic.
  • You don't pay taxes.

CONS:

• It's a sewer.
  • Living conditions aren't very nice.
  • Weird creatures have been known to pop up around the sewers.
  • People think you are a crazy sewer person.
  • You are a crazy sewer person.

@Silas

Sherri contemplated trying to find a way into the sewers, but eventually decided against it. She didn't really think it was plausible that the warehouse was connected to the sewer in a way that she could actually enter through. In fact, it might not have been connected to the sewer at all. Exhaling through her nostrils, the pseudo-merc continued gripping her pistol as she waited near the southern slidey door, simply listening for any more goings-on at the other side. She waited to see if anybody was going to come out, maybe she could take them by surprise. She planned on going in herself if she had to wait for too long.

Sherri Faulks

You take position at the southern door and listen in for a few minutes to bits of conversation. However, the conversations are notably louder, and you're able to make out full sentences. This could be because you're listening through a door instead of a wall, or because they're actually talking louder for some reason.

"No, no! Villain! Remove this bag from my head at once! Is that water I hear? No!"

"Haha! You have fallen prey to my treachery! Information will leave your lips at once!"

"This is torture!"

"Nobody will know, you won't have any scars!"

You hear another voice speak up.

"Why are you being so dramatic about this? Keep things to... you know, a realistic level. And don't be so loud, this is why we're getting all those passive-aggressive noise complaints popping out of the indoor emergency manhole."

@Silas

'Okay, fine, maybe there is a way to get into the warehouse through the damned sewer.'

Sherri eavesdropped, and picked up on the rather obvious signs of villainy from what she was hearing from inside. Sherri thought of perhaps knocking, masquerading as a 'new guy' and pretending she was a gangster. But then again, it wasn't like she had the 'Come Fly With Me' perk was a very good actor, so it probably wouldn't work out. Attempting to move quietly, she moved away from the warehouse and attempted to locate the nearest manhole. She hoped she could rescue the apparent victim inside- that probably meant for a bonus. And well, nobody deserved to get drowned/waterboarded by gangster lowlifes either.

Sherri Faulks

"Why do we even have that indoor emergency manhole instead of a service door?"

"To piss off smartasses who think they know everything there is to know about warehouses."

"What's the actual reason?"

"I think the guy who drew the blueprint for this place had a few screws loose. That's probably why this place is abandoned."

You sneak off from the warehouse and find an unsecured manhole. Upon moving the manhole cover to the side, the horrible smell immediately reaches you. A ladder leads down into the rather well-lit sewers, kept illuminated by small neon-blue lights that line the tunnel walls. Looking down from above into the sewers, you can see an old man with long grey hair and a long grey beard, leaning up against a tunnel wall and holding up a cardboard sign that has "WILL GUIDE THROUGH SEWER FOR A COMPLIMENT" written on it in black ink.

@Silas

Northern Lights

Daniel Varnell

[100/100 HP]

[100/100 Energy]

Inventory:

[Whip-Sword]

Abilities:

[Shift] - [10 Energy] - Switch your weapon between its whip and sword forms. An action can be performed after using [Shift]. However, if you perform no action afterward, [Shift] is completed without spending any energy. When first entering a combat scenario, you can draw your weapon in either form and attack without spending energy. While in sword form, the weapon does more damage but has shorter range. While in whip form, the weapon does less damage, but has greater range and is more versatile and can be used to wrap around objects or appendages.

[Sweep/Lunge] - [20 Energy] - [Sweep] is used in whip form. Lash out in a wide horizontal arc with your whip, dealing damage to multiple enemies in a wide radius, or dealing extra damage to large enemies. [Lunge] is used in sword form. Strike at one enemy, dealing bonus damage and causing bleeding if used against an enemy's weakpoint.

[Launch Pad] - [15 Energy] - Jump farther or dash a short distance to close in on an enemy, retreat, or dodge an attack. An action can be performed after using [Launch Pad].

Yvonne Flores

[100/100 HP]

[100/100 Energy]

Inventory:

[Stun Gun]

[2/2 shots]

Abilities:

[Pacifist] - [Passive] - Your stun gun is a non-lethal weapon. If used at close-range on an unsuspecting enemy, they will be usually be knocked unconscious. In all other circumstances, your weapon will stun the enemy for one turn. An enemy can only be stunned once before becoming resistant to it.

[Overcharge] - [15 Energy] - Send a much stronger charge through your gun, dealing damage to an enemy or overloading a machine. This ability will expend a shot.

[Defib] - [20 Energy] - Send a charge into an ally to shock their heart, healing them based on their missing health. The less health they have, the more it will heal them for. This ability can be used on yourself, but is not as effective. This ability will expend a shot.

[Danger Indicator] - [Passive] - Scans enemies and identifies their threat level.

Ennis Pendler

[100/100 HP]

[100/100 Energy]

Inventory:

[Semiautomatic Pistol]

[7/7 shots]

Abilities:

[Combat Roll] - [10 Energy] - Roll, either away from or towards enemies. If rolling away from an enemy, you take less damage from anything that hits you during that turn, with a chance to avoid damage entirely. If rolling towards an enemy, your next attack will deal increased damage. This ability does not take a turn, and another action can be taken after using it.

[Aim] - [15 Energy] - Take one turn to aim at a target's body part. In the next turn, your shot is guaranteed to hit exactly where you aimed and will do bonus damage.

[In-built Cleats] - [10 Energy] - Extend the spikes from your prosthetic foot, allowing your kick to do more damage, or allowing you to attach yourself to a structure. As you only have one prosthetic limb, you cannot move around on the structure you are attached to unless you jump off or grab hold of something. While attached to a structure, you are less likely to be hit by enemies and may gain a better angle of attack on them. Attaching to a structure does not use up a turn.

"Please, do be careful, Miss Pendler. A few of us with the police force still remember you. If something happened to you, we'd be... well, best not to think of it. Good luck, both to you and your friends there."

The detective who had led Northern Lights here walked off without daring to look back. He apparently knew Ennis Pendler from before, and she recalled his name as being David Jones. He didn't stand out very much, but did get his work done. Until now, that is. He was given a case to track down and investigate a serial killer. But, for some reason he chose not to disclose, he just couldn't follow through and handed the case over to the Investigation Incorporation.

The three of you now were standing in an apartment building, a rather shabby one at that. Just outside a wooden door that showed no signs of forced entry, and was currently unlocked. Upon venturing inside, the crime scene is just as it had always been. Nobody touched it. The apartment was standard: a bedroom with a television, a small kitchen area, a bathroom. What separated this apartment from all others was the presence of a female un-augmented corpse on the bed. Her legs were together and her arms spread outward, mimicking the position of one lashed to a cross.

The woman had pale skin, brown hair, and brown eyes. The eyes, of course, were still open. A single bullet hole is in the center of the victim's forehead, and this is the only visible wound on the victim. What appears to be a wedding ring has been placed on the woman's forehead, framing the bullet wound. Judging by the tanline on the woman's left ring finger, it's evident that wedding ring belongs to her. She's been stripped naked, and the word "SINNER" has been written on her chest in blood. Earlier, Detective Jones had informed all of you that the single bullet hole, lack of any struggle, and use of the word "sinner" somewhere were common among all victims.

Quest Started: [Killer Just Wants to Live a Quiet Life] - A murder scene before you, but luckily one that lacks anything too grotesque[1]. Your investigation begins here. Should you desire, you could visit the local police station and access their information on the serial killer.

[1]: Grotesque murders are fairly uncommon, since most murders come as the result of gang shootouts and there's little time for mutilation. However, whenever someone thinks of horribly gory killings, the Great Tennis Massacre of the Year of the Five-Credit Value Meal always come to mind. It was during that year that a series of murders at a tennis academy were committed, with each corpse having tennis equipment shoved somewhere into them, often in a vaguely sexual manner. The killer was eventually revealed to be the head tennis coach and is currently serving a life sentence.

@Fenris @snowy raven @MadArtist

After reaching the sewer, Sherri looked at the haggard old homeless man with the sign. She didn't really want to compliment him, mostly due to the fact that she felt like she was simply entitled to be shown the way to go. She was an Investigation Incorporation investigator, after all- she had official, urgent business to attend to, which meant that whatever fee, no matter how minuscule, ought to be waived.

But she didn't want to whip out her gun and threaten him or something; for all she knew, he'd lead her into a pit of hungry sewer rats. So Sherri simply stood there for a moment and tried to think of something to say about the rather smelly man sitting before her. "Hi, uh... Your coat's looking mighty snazzy. I also gotta get to a warehouse to stop someone from maybe getting murdered- and you can help me! There's no better compliment than being called a hero- so quick, show me the way."

Ennis' eyes narrowed, eyebrows frowning from the moment she laid her eyes upon the lifeless body on the bed.

The horrid smell of the decomposing corpse had filled the whole room as it made her nose wrinkle in disgust.
Moving closer, she pulled out her tools and began to inspect it.

This serial killer sure has a rather unique way of setting up a crime scene. And with such a disrespectful way of treating the dead...

Ennis picked the wedding ring up in a careful manner, placing it inside the small plastic bag for further examination in the laboratory. Plus taking some extra blood and hair samples for testing and identifying the victim and so on. They could probably find some other clues seaching around the rest of the room as well. She sighed tiredly.

''Well guys, we really need to get to the bottom of this case for sure.''

@Fenris @snowy raven

While Daniel was slightly suspicious about being handed a job from another detective there was nothing he personally disliked about the fellow. Besides he seemed to be acquainted with Ennis and there was money to be earned so how bad could things really get?

At first glance the apartment layout seemed like a dime a dozen, right down to the paint chipping off the aged wooden door; the home of someone working hard to stay off the streets but never getting quite far enough ahead to leave this place behind. “Woah, this is some biblical angel of wrath bull. I mean the ring, the pose, sinner? somebody took their time setting this up... gotta be personal.” Daniel muttered, glad he'd stuck to a light breakfast earlier. While Ennis took a closer look at the body the dark haired man strolled into to kitchen, hoping to find perhaps a second set of used plates, wine glasses or such. Nobody just let you waltz into their den, plop them on the bed and drill a bullet through their cranial area; there had to be drugs or something involved.

''Well guys, we really need to get to the bottom of this case for sure.'' he heard the former cops voice drift in from the bedroom. “Agreed, hanging around dead people's apartments isn't really rewarding by itself.” Dan was attempting to be a tad more upbeat in his own way. “So back to the station or do you think we can squeeze a few answers out of the neighbors?”

@snowy raven @MadArtist

As Ennis preserved the evidence, Yvonne's eyes wandered from wall to wall. From the patches of duct tape on the ceiling, to the homemade paper crafts sitting on the counter...she recognized a struggle for existence inside this pitiful home. Yvonne breathed with her mouth slightly open, preferring the taste of the dank air mixing with her breakfast, than the smell itself.

"'Well guys, we really need to get to the bottom of this case for sure.''

Yvonne nodded and opened the manilla envelope with her sweaty hands. There was only the bare bones description of the case, and some semi detailed pictures of the crime scene. Flipping through the contents, Her eyes unintentionally glanced at the pictures of the dead body. The angles at they were taken seemed almost pornographic. She quickly hid them behind the stack of photos while shadows lined her vision.
Yvonne unzipped and sunk her hand into her opened pocket. She fumbled her fingers around familiar shapes until her she felt cold. A platinum ring with sapphire insets: her mother's wedding ring. She clenched it until the dark went away.

“So back to the station or do you think we can squeeze a few answers out of the neighbors?”
"How about...the neighbors? We should get to know them before they know us," replied Yvonne.,
MahoganyLeaf MahoganyLeaf
Fenris Fenris
Venom Adhamm Venom Adhamm

Last edited:
Northern Lights
(As this is a DMed RP, please refrain from describing things that aren't there.)

Ennis took a bit of blood from the word on the woman's chest, as well as her ring and a lock of hair. The body had yet to decompose very much, but the blood definitely wasn't still fresh by this point in time. The murder likely took place some time last night, but an exact time cannot be pinpointed right now.

Daniel headed away from the body into the modest kitchen area. Upon looking through, there aren't any plates or glasses left out around here, and there's no other evidence that any drinking, eating, or drugging was had here. Taking a look in the fridge, however, revealed that it was stocked with mostly cans of DeManko[1] brand beer. Looking in the small rubbish bin kept in the kitchen area would reveal it too was filled with cans of beer, though they were all opened and emptied, likely in that order.

Yvonne wished very much to open a manilla envelope with details of the case and the scene. To her dismay, she possessed no such thing. She and the others would have to head to the local police station for anything like that.

[1]: DeManko beer is a favorite of depressed alcoholics. The brand is recognizable by its logo that resembles a noose, and by its catchy jingle:
If you're feeling sad
Maybe you should do something bad
Ruin your body, let's end it here
Have a can of DeManko beer

Sherri Faulks
"Oh my, thank you so much!" the man said cheerily.
"The warehouse you say? Are you a member of that little circle of people that hang around there? Oh, they're such a fun bunch! I can hear them from down here all the time, and it's so great. The sewer people absolutely love them. We like to gather around beneath the warehouse to listen to their... performances," the man told you, before turning towards the left and beginning to walk, beckoning you to follow.

"And this is it. They're such fun, such fun," the old man commented, before walking off back to where he came from and leaving you. You're currently in a circular room, with a ladder at the center leading up to a closed manhole. You can hear the people in the warehouse speaking above you.

"Come on guys, you need to act more. I need some real emotion and raw passion! Reginald, get the eleck[1] and hit the hostage again."

[1]: A slang term for stun batons.

Lorsh Lorsh MahoganyLeaf MahoganyLeaf Fenris Fenris snowy raven snowy raven

''Sure. We could go and interrogate the neighbors now if you're done looking around?''
Ennis placed the small plastic bags containing the samples inside a secure place in her shoulderbag. She pulled the plastic gloves off and went to throw them down the trash bin in the kitchen.
''By the way, have any of you noticed anything-''
Her eyebrows peeked up in interest, as she spotted all the emptied cans of beer. She could find several types of brand names written one them, but most of them belonged to the very same name. DeManko.
''Whoa.. That's a little too much beer served for one single gal.''
''DeManko..Oh yeah! I've definitely heard a lot about these nasties before, not to mention in advertisements.
They're sadly used for no better purpose but to brainwash the minds of citizen nowadays. Those rich bastards must surely enjoy their sweet time fishing money up from the poor and broken.''

She mumbled quietly to herself, forming her mouth into a straight line of displeasure.

Fenris Fenris snowy raven snowy raven

Last edited:
(ooc: oh shoot, sorry)

Yvonne suddenly remembered that the manilla envelope in her 'hands' was actually from five years ago. She turned her head, and noticed that the dead body in front of her differed from the one in those photos. She was also holding...nothing. 6...7....8...9....10...that...wasn't the best time to have a flashback....
"We could go and interrogate the neighbors now if you're done looking around?"
"Alright, I gotta finish this first," said Yvonne.
She put on a pair of rubber gloves, and started to search the remaining furniture surrounding the bed.

It was barely noticeable, but she heard Ennis say
"Those rich bastards must surely enjoy their sweet time fishing money up from the poor and broken."
With a slight scowl, Yvonne remarked "They do; rumor has it that DeManko also owns a chain of rehab facilities."

Last edited:
Growing up in and around neighborhoods much like this meant Dan was no stranger to the formation of cans in the fridge, sporting the noose logo. DeManko was rough, tasted foul and could cause some of the worse hangovers he'd experienced; but it came cheap. Sometimes that's all that mattered... Free, of course, was the best kind of price and the investigator almost reached for a can before his colleague entered.

“Doesn't look like she was expecting company...
He answered Ennis question before nodding in agreement. If the victim had emptied all those cans in one sitting she probably hadn't been expecting much but a hangover. Her second statement wasn't quite clear as the brunette lowered her voice, luckily enough Yvonne had picked it up. “They do; rumor has it that DeManko also owns a chain of rehab facilities." “Sounds shrewd enough to be true.” Dan noted, pointedly closing the fringe; no longer in the mood for a drink. “So, off to meet the neighbors; round up suspects and such? Think this killer is a local boy or out of towner?”

While waiting for Yvonne to finish her inspection of the victims room; Dan not wanting to be in the way or near the corpse, gave the apartments lock a quick once over without harboring high expectations. Once his partners joined him near the entrance he'd simply take two large strides across the hallway and give the nearest door a few hard wraps with his knuckle. Personal experience telling him that doorbells in these area's usually quit their duty sooner or later and few residents deemed it necessary to replace them.

snowy raven snowy raven

Northern Lights
Yvonne took a look around at the furniture near the bed. There wasn't much, just an old wooden nightstand and a small chair near the window. Checking inside the nightstand revealed that its contents consisted of some foreign comics, a Universal Electronic Charging Hub, and the Nex-Lore: a portable game console. As this went on, Daniel looked at the apartment door's lock. Nothing special there. No sign of damage shows that the door was unlocked with a key before your arrival.

When the three had finished looking around, Daniel led the way to the nearest door and knocked. After a few seconds, the door was opened by an old lady with short hair, pink pajamas, and a nightcap. She stared at the three members of Northern Lights for a moments before speaking up.
"Oh... you young people look like dangerous types. We don't get very many of you here. Not until last night, at least... Is that what you're here about? The poor girl who died? That must be it... nobody comes to visit this old lady anymore. Well, come in, come in... I can answer all your questions."

The woman let the three in and closed the door behind them. The apartment's layout was very similar to that of the dead girl, except all the furniture is covered in plastic wrap and things look just a bit less disorderly.
"I hope you'll forgive me... I don't get any visitors and I live alone, so I only have one chair. Why don't you sit on the bed?" the woman suggests. When the three have taken a seat, the woman hands a mug of some warm, nice-smelling liquid to each, before pulling up the home's only chair and sitting across from the three.

"It's Ui Tea[1]. Have you ever had it? No, maybe not... you youngsters prefer your coffee and sodas and... well, you should try it anyway. It's really nice," the old woman says, holding her own mug and sipping from it.
"I hope I can be helpful... I miss that poor girl already. She was usually drunk, but when she wasn't, she'd stop by to visit me and have tea."

[1]: Ui Tea is, actually, a very popular drink amongst youngsters, old people, and middle-aged people having existential crises who are too scared to drink any alcohol for coping because of some childhood trauma. Ui Tea was created by a girl named Ui, who also owns a line of fast-food restaurants[2]. The tea has a very nice flavor that is neither too sweet nor too bitter. Its taste is known to soothe the soul.

[2]: Many people have claimed Ui has a monopoly on the fast-food industry, with her widely popular eatery: Responsible Girl's Burger. Researchers have looked into this claim and have found it to be mostly true. Few people ever want to eat anywhere else. Some believe this is due to the quality of the food being extremely good, while others believe it's due to the restaurant's advertising which stretches far and wide: from TV, to billboards, to hand-made posters, to Internet ads, and even to footnotes. Visit Responsible Girl's Burger today.

snowy raven snowy raven MahoganyLeaf MahoganyLeaf Fenris Fenris

Last edited:
Sherri turned her head, watching the tramp walk off and muttering quiet thanks as he disappeared elsewhere in the sewer. She cocked her head, listening to the sound of the voices from above.

Balls. They must be close if Sherri could hear them already. Keeping her handgun at the ready, she approached the ladder and began to semi-awkwardly climb up it, keeping her pistol in her hand as she did so. Once she got to the top of the ladder, she tried to shove the manhole cover up. If the voices turned out to be in another room or something, then that was great. If they didn't, she had to hope she took these idiots by surprise. Once the manhole cover was up, she peeked out, pointing her pistol around. She planned on ducking back down if cover became a necessity, so she made sure to keep a tight grip on the ladder.

Us? Dangerous looking? Hah! Okay.. Well this lady is being rather inviting towards us, considering the fact she's living completely alone just for herself without much means of protection, especially when a certain murder had just taken place yesterday quite close to her home.
Ennis thought, but then simply followed the elderly woman inside her apartment.

Sitting on the creaking bed with the other two, she politely took the mug of tea offered by the old lady, breathing in the soothing aroma before taking a sip of it.
She enjoyed the taste, it had a pretty balanced flavor with some hints of sweetness within it. It reminded her of the old days when she sat by the dining table with her grandmother as they had warm drinks together. Ennis used to be a lot more talkative too back then, before all the shit happened that is.
''Thank you very much for the tea, ma'am. Ahem, but before we begin asking our questions, I thought we should at least start by introducing ourselves. I'm detective Ennis Pendler and these two are my partners Yvonne Flores and Daniel Varnell. And we are going to do our best to solve this murder case as efficiently as possible.
So now, back to the topic. You mentioned before that the girl was mostly intoxicated whenever you met her. But what about the times when she visited you, what type of a person were she to you?''

Venom Adhamm Venom Adhamm snowy raven snowy raven Fenris Fenris

Sherri Faulks
Upon peeking up, you find that you are in fact in a room separate from the source of the voices. It's a very small room, appearing to be some kind of broom closet, but without any brooms. In fact, the only thing in this closet is the manhole you're coming out of. There's a closed door leading out into the main part of the warehouse, and you're able to clearly hear that the voices are outside the door.

"Y-you people are crazy! Just stop this, please! Let me go home, I won't tell any-" a male voice cuts out due to the sound of his shouting in pain as you hear electricity coursing through a body.
"Yes, yes! I love it! I can feel this man's pain, this raw emotion! Maybe we should start with electrocution for each performance! But... but I need more! Come on boy, come on, we're going to get you to scream now, okay? Scream for me, won't you? Boy... if you don't start screaming, I'm going to break that neck of yours. Now scream for me."

"...good boy, I'm sure everyone heard you. Damn, we're going to be getting another fucking complaint."

Northern Lights
The elderly woman brought her attention to Ennis as she introduced everyone and posed the first question.
"She was a very kind and loving woman... but always full of such sadness. Even when she cried though, she was such a warm aura to be around. It's a shame though... she wasn't always like that. She was much happier before the divorce. Poor thing, poor thing... she loved her husband so much. She never took of her wedding ring, even after he left. She took to drinking a lot, and she brought men home pretty often... but I always heard her crying after each and every one-night stand.

Viktor Saronis
[100/100 HP]
[100/100 Energy]

Inventory:
[Revolver Shotgun]
[6/6 Shots]

Abilities:
[Heavy Slug] - [20 Energy] - Fire a powerful, single slug round that can deal heavy damage to one enemy and pushes you a good distance in the opposite direction of the shot. If [Heavy Slug] is used strictly for movement purposes and does not hit an enemy, another action may be performed. This ability uses one shot.
[Dragon's Breath] - [15 Energy] - Fire an incendiary round that can set enemies and parts of the environment alight. This ability uses one shot.
[Knife-Edge] - [0 Energy] - Use the blade in your left arm to attack an enemy that's at close range. This blade can be used to instantly kill most unsuspecting enemies.

You'd been sent to a rather remote area of Ieras. Currently, you were hidden away behind a dumpster, on the side of a rather wide alleyway made by apartment buildings. There's one way into the alley, which leads to a dead-end. You'd heard that an illegal deal[1] was going on here, but the specifics were lost to you. Your assignment is to intercept the deal and bring back whatever goods were being traded to the Investigation Incorporation. However, you were also told that if you investigated the deal further, found what gang started the deal, then find their hideout and take pictures with your HUD's in-built camera, you'd receive a very nice bonus.

Some time passed, and the sun had set by now, the world illuminated only by the neon lights of man, though the alley itself remained rather dark. Eventually, five men and a woman entered the alley, the woman carrying a sealed package. A few minutes passed, and a teenage boy entered the alley.
"H-h-hey... you guys got the stuff?" the teenager asked.
"Of course we do, kid. We aren't amateurs. It's in this package, but we need to see some cash first," the woman holding the package said.
"Y-yeah, of course. I got what we agreed on... b-but, I wanna see what's in the package, just to be safe."
"Yeah? And I wanna see what's in your wallet, just to be safe. Now show us the credits or we walk."

Quest Started: [This Little Light of Mine] - A deal has gone underway. To complete your task, you only need to stop the deal and bring the package to your employers. Of course, for a much nicer and more sizable reward, you should follow the gang to their hideout and take some pictures, but you'll still need to bring back the package.

[1]: Though you can't be absolutely sure what goods are involved in the deal, it's common knowledge that illicit augmentations[2] are the most trafficked item in illegal dealings. Previously, drugs were the most trafficked, but that changed after the Council of Solus legalized drugs in the Year of the Chewable Antidepressant due to a failing and costly war on drugs. Drugs can be bought at just about any pharmacy. As a result of the legalization of drugs, hundreds of new recovery centers were built[3].

[2]: Augmentations can be deemed illicit for multiple reasons. The two main reasons are if they are stolen, either from store shelves or a body, or if the augmentation is deemed not for civilian use (this is usually the case for experimental military augments).

[3]: Many of these recovery centers are not newly "built," but rather refurbished and renovated prisons. The legalization of drugs led to the prison population declining sharply, allowing many of those prisons to be turned into the new recovery centers.

Lorsh Lorsh MahoganyLeaf MahoganyLeaf snowy raven snowy raven Fenris Fenris Zoltan Zoltan

Last edited:
"Hello dumpster, my old friend..." Viktor chuckled as he slid behind the very thing he once was left to die in; it's a tad ironic, having to use a dumpster for a stakeout after all that. Shifting uncomfortably, Viktor got into somewhat of a crouched pose between the apartment's brick wall and the metal dumpster, with his back propped against the latter.

After some time of Viktor twiddling his thumbs and going through the mission briefings on his HUD, darkness fell upon the city. He could hear footsteps entering the alleyway and barely peered out from the dumpster. Ka-ching. Here they were.

As the teenager entered the alleyway, Viktor attempted to take a few pictures of the boy's face with his HUD camera. While the bland negotiations over who would see what first occurred, Viktor prepared his shotgun. It's almost showtime.

Viktor Saronis
(sorry for the late response, was hoping to get posts from the others so I put everything into one post, but w/e)

The HUD camera takes a few pictures of the side of the teenager as you draw your shotgun. From your point of view, and likely from the boy's as well, the gang of six were far more imposing, and it seemed like a generally bad idea to not listen to any order they gave. Shivering a bit and shrinking in his posture, the teenager nodded and took out his wallet, which was quickly grabbed by one of the male gang members.

"H-hey!" the boy cried as the gang member sifted through the wallet, took out some credits, and threw the wallet back at the boy.
"We're taking a bit extra as a fee for screwing with us and wasting our time," the man said as the woman handed over the sealed package.
"Don't get too... rowdy with that thing, first-timer," the woman told the teenager, a smug look on her face as she turned away and slowly began to walk off with her gang. You have enough time to attack now, if that's what you want to do.

Zoltan Zoltan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back