• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Divinity Unbound OOC Discussion Page

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Greetings, o' Constituents of Goji-ism!

GojiBean GojiBean Glad I did justice to you in the Interest Check, like I said, I felt a little presumptuous, but figured it's better to do something than nothing when I can help. :) Question, though; Can I acquire Warlock Essence? xD

The Silent Z The Silent Z Grats on the completion! Best of luck on deciding your affinity. :)

Karcen Karcen Hiya!

Kashima Kashima
Thanks! : ) Right now I’ve cut it down to two ideas, either Warding or Magic Circles.... I think. (Illusions could be fun though) Thought about sealing and transportation but after thinking about it decided against them.

The Silent Z The Silent Z
Both of them are very nice. Was already asking questions of Goji for Smithy stuff, and they're niiiiice. Just watch out for accidentally exploding your wards, lol. Too many activating too close makes a rather nice boom, apparently! Also confirmed with Goji that size matters for Magic Circles (mice are super easy, Silverback Gorillas are not), but you need not use the spell on living things. You could use it to support a group over a hole (assuming you can encompass the entire hole), or you can use it to anchor an object to a wall, w/e. Both very useful, very flexible magic types. I can't wait to see what you pick. :)

Kashima Kashima
Exploding wards... who wouldn’t want that?! Haha. Just have to time it right and not stand too close. lol

As for magic circles, now I might be a tad confused reading the expanded details on it. Interesting though

Kashima Kashima
Exploding wards... who wouldn’t want that?! Haha. Just have to time it right and not stand too close. lol

As for magic circles, now I might be a tad confused reading the expanded details on it. Interesting though

I can help you there.

Magic Circles are a form of trap-magic, and can accomplish various effects based on the intent and skill of the user.

For example, Magic Circle mages can accomplish the following (just to give you a few ideas to play with):

1) It says "ground" on the Magic page, but really they can be planted on any solid surface (yes, it must be solid). So if you wanted to, you could put a trap on the ceiling which would activate when someone goes underneath it and traps them in a vertical force-field like enclosure for as long as you can keep a steady flow of mana through it.

2) You could plant one on the wall, and the unsuspecting victim would be pulled into it and trapped against the wall for as long as you keep a steady flow of mana through it.

(Sensing a pattern yet? ;D)

3) You could also utilize a Magic Circle for creating a solid bubble around an enemy to keep them trapped, or around a group of allies to protect them from incoming fire. They're not wards, but they are a solid wall of mana when used correctly which will at least take the brunt of one incoming blast to give everyone more time to prepare a counter strike. A good ward can block multiple shots if it's strong enough.

4) Magic Circles can also function as something of a one-time vacuum for incoming magical attacks. And when utilized the right way, they can suck in an incoming attack causing it to hit the circle instead and harmlessly expend all of the power it would have on your allies.

So those are some basic ideas. If you have further questions about what you can get away with, fire them at me. It helps me really dig deeper into this than I could on my own (ask Kashima) and expand further in ways that are beneficial for everyone cause it opens my eyes to more possibilities!

Cheers!

GojiBean GojiBean
What about a Magic Circle bridge? Assuming there were, say, a stone wall on either side of a chasm, could someone put a magic circle on one wall to create the "mana walls" so that we could traverse the chasm? I didn't realize it worked like a force cage. :)

PS; When are you gonna learn not to let me see things? It just means more questions, lol.

GojiBean GojiBean
What about a Magic Circle bridge? Assuming there were, say, a stone wall on either side of a chasm, could someone put a magic circle on one wall to create the "mana walls" so that we could traverse the chasm? I didn't realize it worked like a force cage. :)

PS; When are you gonna learn not to let me see things? It just means more questions, lol.

😂🤣😂🤣

I don't think I will ever learn. Lol.

Anyway, another kind of misnomer is that Magic Circles don't have to be "circles." It's just the nomenclature they came up with. The user can vary the shape of the field to their liking. So yes, a Magic Circle bridge to fill a gap in a previously broken bridge over a chasm is feasible. It would be draining, and the user would probably have to be carried or loaded into a horse-drawn cart so they could maintain concentration. But it would work.

Another possibility is what happens when someone or something gets caught on the edge of a circle? What if that circle closes the gap between two solid surfaces? Does it get cut or crushed?

Another possibility is what happens when someone or something gets caught on the edge of a circle? What if that circle closes the gap between two solid surfaces? Does it get cut or crushed?

Do you mean when the circle is first formed? If something is caught on the edge of a circle as it's formed, chances are they'll get pushed out as the circle fully generates. So, if you were near a cliff, you could cast a small circle half-way underneath an enemy and use the force of the generation to push them off the cliff. Kinda cheap way to kill something, but hey. It's survival. Nobody said it had to be honorable or clean all the time. Lol.

And if a circle bridge was formed, if it was hit by enough physical or magical attacks, yes, it would eventually dissipate (dematerialize) without much fanfare and everyone would fall to their deaths.

GojiBean GojiBean
The surface I was aware it just needed a solid, i contemplated water for a moment when first seeing the thread for magic and the section about magic circles, however wouldn’t work unless frozen, (a fun thought for a Merfolk though if water had a little more to it) But the confusion is cleared up now, the supporting a group over a hole is where I came to a pause, but now I’m seeing the magic circles have a lot more then simple traps in magic circle form. Thus creating a variety of magical effects like the bubbles, walls of mana, support offensively and defensively, etc. Nice!

I’ll likely shoot over some ideas as they come in the future. Thanks

GojiBean GojiBean
The surface I was aware it just needed a solid, i contemplated water for a moment when first seeing the thread for magic and the section about magic circles, however wouldn’t work unless frozen, (a fun thought for a Merfolk though if water had a little more to it) But the confusion is cleared up now, the supporting a group over a hole is where I came to a pause, but now I’m seeing the magic circles have a lot more then simple traps in magic circle form. Thus creating a variety of magical effects like the bubbles, walls of mana, support offensively and defensively, etc. Nice!

I’ll likely shoot over some ideas as they come in the future. Thanks

Glad to help!

What if you used two circles? One to trap someone and of to crush them against the other? If you can only do one at a time what if two mages work together to do it? Or if the only path out of the way was against a wall or something that lacked enough space to safely contain there mass? Would they be squished?

What if you used two circles? One to trap someone and of to crush them against the other? If you can only do one at a time what if two mages work together to do it? Or if the only path out of the way was against a wall or something that lacked enough space to safely contain there mass? Would they be squished?

... Hot damn... Those are good questions...

Uh... Gimme a sec. I'm thinking in real time as I type here to figure out what the answer should be based on my lore.

Okay, I think I got it.

Nope!

(I'm actually gonna need time for this one. Hold tight!)

Can you trap someone in a circle then use earth magic to crush them? Or teleport a bolder into the circle? To crush them of course. Or flood them? Can you teleport large quantities of liquid (water) into a sphere circle?

GojiBean GojiBean
I really want these guys and me for a crew. We'll be the whackiest, most indirect heroes ever.

Enchanter/Cantrip angel, Magic Wall guy, a warlock from a different game... We just need an Alchemist and someone without magic. xD

Kashima Kashima
You can fly right? So you could make a anchor glove, fly real high teleport arrow linked to your glove, hold your hand out and watch them fall.

King Castle King Castle
Only one of many, many tricks I've devised. Ask Goji, I may've asked more questions than everyone else combined. xD At first I felt bad, but Goji hasn't killed me yet, so I'm assuming he's half-human-half-patience at this point.

Was also considering the concept of using my toys to create anything from freshwater springs to booby traps, bridges to flares to target-beacons. Most of my D&D experience is as a caster of some sort, and I rarely roll dice when I kill people, lol. Indirect combat is the mightiest combat.

Why stab your foes 30 times to do 300 damage when you can crack a man's skull like an egg by dropping them upside down a few miles.
King Castle King Castle
Only one of many, many tricks I've devised. Ask Goji, I may've asked more questions than everyone else combined. xD At first I felt bad, but Goji hasn't killed me yet, so I'm assuming he's half-human-half-patience at this point.

Was also considering the concept of using my toys to create anything from freshwater springs to booby traps, bridges to flares to target-beacons. Most of my D&D experience is as a caster of some sort, and I rarely roll dice when I kill people, lol. Indirect combat is the mightiest combat.
Why stab your foes 30 times to do 300 damage when you can crack a man's skull like an egg by dropping them upside down for a few miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back