Other Discord Roleplays: Yay or nay?

It honestly depends. If it's a roleplay with longer responses expected and all that, in my history, it usually doesn't work. I think it may have something to do with the fact that a platform meant for short instant messages isn't really that great when you try writing something longer than something you can fit into 5 fortune cookies. But if it's a roleplay with short, one to three sentence responses it can last. I was in a server with little to no expectations and quick back and forth short responses in location channels once, and the roleplaying flow lasted longer than the more structured lengthy response servers. I think it might have something to do with not trying to stretch the application beyond its means? I'm honestly not sure.

I think it’s actually more important to be organized and have reasonable expectations.

Like Discord isn’t the same as forum based roleplaying so if you go into it expecting the same process you’ll be frustrated and disappointed.

And if your disorganized your roleplay is going to be a mess no matter where you put it.

All the roleplays I have done on Discord are slow paced with long replies and they did very well. Actually my longest running roleplay was on Discord and our average reply was a few paragraphs.

But we both liked to do world building and had several channels dedicated to lore.

So I wouldn’t say it’s better with shorter responses vs. larger responses.

It just depends on how well you understand the format and what your expectations are.

I really haven't had much luck with discord RPs. Only with one or two people I'll reply constantly but most people I like to take my time replying, so when i take my sweet time I've had several individuals become...annoying.

If I'm in a RP seeking discord I realize people tend to delete conversations so I'll get messages from people who aren't a match (know from talking to them previously but they still message) / pussyfoot around a RP. So I've blocked people to try and keep my inbox for serious / new applicants only.

Kind of like it. Makes everything so damn easy to organize that it's insane. I have to use G-Docs or some other platform to actually WRITE though in conjunction with it. Discord's character limit drives me insane.

As someone who loves forum rp, when Zeta went down rping for me was like “Damn now what?” I like large based theme rp. Although Discord fills that whole. I use to hate it and I was toxic: “oh these guys are bad, these short post!?” Although the more I would get involved, I started to understand this new era of rp. Discord rp is convenient and on the go, but I have manage to have some really good Discord Rp. I actually love it now. The community and all the events, the chatting about the characters! It’s really a gem tbh.

Discord RP?

YES PLEASE.

I've been able to run a dice based RP for months now and you can't beat the pace of action or the feeling of combat in real time you can get with a good forum RP.

I still anchor my RP on the Forums with Letters between/about players in the group :

But conversation and combat in real time makes discord RPs a GREAT alternative to my forum-only efforts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back