Votes: 5 41.7%
  • onsite

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • other (please specify in-thread!)

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

leviathan.

road shimmer, wiggling the vision
hey guys! me and my co-gm are launching an rp soon (apocalyptic high fantasy in the style of the forgotten realms, if anyone's interested lol), and we can't seem to decide between hosting directly onsite or hosting it on discord! on one hand, discord's definitely faster paced and has the benefit of different channels, but not a lot of people are looking for them, judging from the wasteland that is the 'off-site ads' section lmao. on the other, rpn definitely has cool formatting & definitely more prospective players, but there are often days between posts onsite, and i'm definitely looking for a more snappier back-and-forth between player & GM than what i usually see here.

if it matters, discord will still be used for ooc, no matter what.

looking forward to hearing your thoughts !! :0

thank you guys for the feedback, the ic is now going live onsite so watch out for that!

Last edited:
IC:

Want a quick paced storyline or multiple thereof in a short timespan, and there's no "kill them!" Stigma for inevitable times a below paragraph may be inserted, discord.

Want a long paced storyline with longer responses, RPNation.

Want a long paced storyline, you also wanna do extra storylines like their own mini RPs without trying to perfectly incorporate it as the main story and characters go about, use both.

I recommend discord OOCs for faster communications, but you will have to consider those that can't get to it.

IC:

Want a quick paced storyline or multiple thereof in a short timespan, and there's no "kill them!" Stigma for inevitable times a below paragraph may be inserted, discord.

Want a long paced storyline with longer responses, RPNation.

Want a long paced storyline, you also wanna do extra storylines like their own mini RPs without trying to perfectly incorporate it as the main story and characters go about, use both.

I recommend discord OOCs for faster communications, but you will have to consider those that can't get to it.

thank you for the very considerate feedback! i realize i was really a bit vague, and i appreciate you offering thoughtful answers for every possibility. for the record, the rp does have a pretty long storyline, it's pretty planned out since i had a long time to think about it + First Time GM Jitters, but i am looking for pretty quick/relatively short replies, because honestly i am not a novella writer and would never expect that of my players. quality over quantity, etc. i'm currently leaning towards, both, as you said, using rpn to host misc. things with discord as the main hub, but y'know, currently considering all my options.

and yeah, i realize not everyone has discord, but i'm finding that the majority do, so unless it becomes a big problem, i'll probably stick to mandatory discord ooc, as onsite oocs do suffer the same slow-pacedness as onsite ics. ty for pointing that out, though!

thank you for the very considerate feedback! i realize i was really a bit vague, and i appreciate you offering thoughtful answers for every possibility. for the record, the rp does have a pretty long storyline, it's pretty planned out since i had a long time to think about it + First Time GM Jitters, but i am looking for pretty quick/relatively short replies, because honestly i am not a novella writer and would never expect that of my players. quality over quantity, etc. i'm currently leaning towards, both, as you said, using rpn to host misc. things with discord as the main hub, but y'know, currently considering all my options.

and yeah, i realize not everyone has discord, but i'm finding that the majority do, so unless it becomes a big problem, i'll probably stick to mandatory discord ooc, as onsite oocs do suffer the same slow-pacedness as onsite ics. ty for pointing that out, though!
Well it is not entirely a matter of not or refusing to get discord, as it is a matter that some people might not be able to even launch it. As well as people that don't have it, and a percentage that refuse to do so. It's a weird issue but meh.

While it may be true there aren't as many people here looking for discord roleplay, given the style of RP you want chat format RP might be beneficial to you. It's not like you need a mass of people for your RP, so long as you can keep it interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread