• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Flashback Dina Ailsa - Lost Child of Asgard

Wolf Rawrrr

Wolf-Knight
Supporter
King's Road, Alicante, year 3305

---------------------------------------------

Midday Sun was shining bright over the capital city of Asgard. Beneath it, the long colon of riders proceeded along the King's Road, flanked on both sides by masses of people kept in order by a line of soldiers from the City Watch. Their faces were proud. They were cheering. Many women were throwing white petals from upper floors of buildings by the street. It was only natural - that was their King down there, accompanied by his royal guard in their gold trimmed white armor, returning from a trip to the neighboring province of Eldshaw. It was a sight to behold.

Among the many watching the colon slowly make its way towards the castle was a woman with a daughter. She stood out, that little one. Not that it was showing. She didn't know it at the time, but someday she would make all the difference in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
"It's hard to see from here." Evelyn thought out loud, her four-year-old daughter jumping up and down. "Are they far? Do they ride horses or walk? In armor like they do in battle?" The little one was so full of questions. "No, they are not far. Yes they are in formal attire and on horse back. Come, Dina. I have an idea." She smiled at her daughter, then rushed her away from the crowd. "Careful, watch your step. Were going to Meriel's place, remember the high window? We'll be able to see the whole scene, isn't that great?" Meriel was the neighbour with who Evelyn often spent free time. "Let's hurry up, I want to see!" Dina jumped giggling with joy. Suddenly, Evelyn was the one being rushed. It made the young mother smile. Always so full of energy.

By the time the mother and daughter moved to a better point of view, the colon of riders drew close enough to yield cheers from this part of the road. Meriel's house had a small balcony, just big enough for Evelyn and Dina to stand out on and watch. And did they have something to watch...

The first riders slowly came into detailed look. Sunlight reflected from their white armor, painting it a golden hue. The horses came in more than one color; black, chestnut, white - but they all strode proud down to the last as if they consciously partook in the glory of the men and elves who rode them. Knights of the royal guard acted calm, but here and there some would wave at someone they knew or smile under their shiny helms.

The King was the only one not riding in pair, somewhere closer to the head of the colon than the middle, on a snow white mount. He wore grand armor of white steel, engraved with gold and silver and the royal crest on the chest. Immediately behind him a pair of knights displayed the royal banners of Alicante and Asgard on their long lances.

Evelyn couldn't help but wonder if he could see her, yearning to meet the gaze of those hazel eyes... But Anglimar Tenárus, the Lord of Alicante and King of Asgard, rode on in his magnificent display of glory and might.

Dina was quiet for a while, what a sudden change. Evelyn stole a few looks from the king to her daughter and back. Dina's eyes were too green to match her father's and too dark, and too different of a color to match Evelyn's gray ones.

If Dina was watching her mother at that moment she might have seen the storm in her eyes while she was looking at her father. But, as Dina didn't know the connection, she wouldn't have understood what that gaze meant. It was one of those looks women used behind men's back. The one saying: "Look at me, please, notice me." Evelyn even unconsciously fixed her hair and was suddenly self-conscious about the simple violet dress she was wearing, and the bags under her eyes. She was looking far from her best.

"Is that a prince, mommy?" asked Dina, dragging Evelyn back to reality. "No, my darling. He's our king." Evelyn laughed. "But he's riding the white steed and is in shining armor. Really, really shining armor." Dina wasn't even looking at her mother, the beauty of the attire seemed to astound her. "Can I have a horse one day? They seem so majesty." "I think you mean majestic." Evelyn laughed again and kissed Dina's head. "One day maybe." she added. Dina suddenly turned, facing her mother. "Come on, lets follow them all the way to the castle!" she tugged Evelyn's sleeve. Maybe you are not aware of your boundaries, but I am. You won't last to the castle. She thought, but smiled and nodded instead. She couldn't help it. Dina sometimes had that most adorable smile that would make you fetch the Moon for her, or maybe that was just the mother's love for her child, Evelyn never knew. "But first." Dina turned back to the street and started waving toward the passing knights. She wouldn't care if she did, or did not get a wave back for she had her eyes closed. She is doing it just for the sake of waving. Evelyn smiled looking at her. And she has hair as black as her father's.

The colon was already half past Meriel's house even at this slow pace by the time little Dina got down to street level. The King's Road was wide. After all it was one of the most important streets in Alicante, unofficially even the main street. The knights rode on through the middle of what was usually a two-way road, so even with a large part of the way closed off by a line of guards keeping the residents from getting too close, there was still enough room to walk by without bumping into the gathered masses.

None of the riders seemed to pay any heed to Dina. How could they, why would they notice a short black haired girl amid all this racket and chaos. However, one of the knights waved at someone standing close to Dina, giving the impression that he might have been waving at her. The girl was firm in her intent to follow the colon along the road, even to the other end of town, but it wouldn't be long before it was past her.

A man dressed up as a baker was passing by and handing out free pastry as was custom in events like this. Spotting the girl, he dropped to one knee in front of her while holding a basket of fresh, warm products for her to choose from. He smiled nervously, hoping that his actions weren't so fast as to scare the child.

Dina froze in place. Never take anything from a stranger, or talk to them. She remembered her mother's words and searched for her. Evelyn, who was just behind her, gave a slight nod. The girl reached into the basket and grabbed what first fell into her hand. "Thank you, kind sir." Dina lowered her head into a small bow, Evelyn smiled, proud. She really learns fast. Evelyn smiled at the baker and then followed her daughter who was on the move again.

The little one marched, one could say as proud as one of the knights who had passed her by now. Dina could still see them, above the pastry from which she took a bite every now and then. She was at it for almost half an hour, all the knight long gone, when her legs began to protest. Evelyn could see that she was getting tired. It begins. She'll try to keep her pace for a few more minutes. She predicted and was correct. I can do this. I'm a big girl. Just a bit more. Dina encouraged herself. The castle was still far away though. There is going to be an early afternoon nap. Evelyn observed. There was no pastry left as well.

"Dina, lets go home. You must be tired." Evelyn suggested with a kind smile. Dina had to admit that she really is tired, but... "I'm fine, but we'll go back if you're tired." she said. "Dina, my precious daughter.", Evelyn crouched to meet Dina's eyes on the same level, "Pride can often hurt you in life and I will keep telling you this. It is always a right thing to admit when you can't go on. What is important is that you gave it your all." she taught her, knowing that Dina's feet must hurt and that she's really tired. "But, mom! We didn't reach the castle yet." Dina protested. "You should choose your goals to suit your abilities and it's better to have many small goals than to have one grand one that you won't be able to reach at that time.", Evelyn pushed away a runaway lock of Dina's black hair to uncover the stubborn face of the child who was told not to do something, "That way, you will always have something that will make you feel good. Look toward the little things in life, my love." Dina held her mother's gaze for a moment. "Remember this spot and we'll come back tomorrow. We'll go ever further.". With this, Evelyn won, Dina relaxed and nodded. "Promise?" she demanded. "Promise." Evelyn obeyed. "I am tired... Will you... Carry me back? Please?" It took a lot of pride to ask, but Dina knew she had to. The little one's feet were aching. "You know I will." Evelyn kissed Dina's forehead and helped her onto her back. The walk back home was long enough for Dina to fall asleep, but not before... "I love you, mom." Evelyn turned her head as much as she could to look at her daughter lovingly, but Dina already closed her eyes. "I love you too, my most precious treasure." she whispered.

Evelyn's House, Alicante, year 3309

-------------------------------------------------

It was early afternoon when the front door of Evelyn's house flew wide open, allowing the eight year old Dina to storm in. But the cause of her distress was put on hold immediately when she saw a man, a stranger with her mother in the living room. But this visitor was someone Dina had never seen before.

Whatever the pair was talking about, they stopped when the little girl came into view. Evelyn called her name in surprise. She was supposed to pick her up from school an hour from now, and yet she was already here, by herself. The man beside her was tall, bearded, and looked funny to Dina. He smiled at her, but said nothing.

Dina slowly looked from her mother to the man and back. She was upset and she couldn't erase it from her face and eyes as quickly as the situation requireded so she lowered her head and bent her knees for a slight bow. "A pleasure to make your acquaintance." she said as to continue the introduction which her mother started in a surprised manner. Seems like there is some truth in what I've been told. I'm away from home and there indeed is some person here, some MEN here. Is it really like this every time? Dina wondered. Her friend's brother was the one who upset her by saying awful things about Evelyn and some of them already became the truth before Dina's eyes.

"She is well-mannered." said the man, as if making a simple observation. He looked at the girl once, then spoke to her mother again. "Well, I shan't bother you further, Evelyn. Take care." He nodded and left the house in measured footsteps. Moments later it was as if he was never here.

"You too." Evelyn said before the men was gone. Dina straightened an approached Evelyn. "Mother, care to tell me who that was?" she asked eyeing her. Evelyn was still surprised to see her at this time, and now she was confused for the expression her eight-year old bore was extremly serious and somewhat hurt. "Just someone I helped once. He is grateful for my help so he visits from time to time to see if I need anything, why? And how come you're home so early? Did something happen to you at school?" Evelyn immediately started to worry and imagine different possibilities. Was she bullied again? I can imagine how other kids could tease her about not having a father.

Evelyn indeed could fully understand what her daughter was going through. Kids were always cruel to those who are different. Evelyn grew up without a mother, she died giving birth to her. Luckily she had a caring father who decided that she will be home-schooled so she doesn't get hurt. "You killed your own mother, monster." Evelyn remembered and she was always grateful to her father. He even took her with him to work, he was a royal guard and so he worked in the palace. She used to spend her time in the library and houses of healing. Soon it came to light that she was a fast learner and very gifted when it comes to preparing remedies and helping people. I grew up protected from the most of that, I'm so sorry I can't do the same for you. Evelyn had to concentrate so she wouldn't cry.

"And he is not the only one keeping you company while I'm not home, is he?" Dina ignored her mother's questions. "You know that I work as a healer and I often recieve people in need..." "Yes, in need, I wonder if it's always like that." Dina didn't even let her mother finish the sentence. She acted as if poisoned by what she heard and that poison sting Evelyn's heart like a point of an arrow. "DINA! What kind of words are this?! How dare you? From whom did you hear this from?!" Evelyn shouted not beliving words like this could ever come out of her daughter's mouth. "Neigbour's kids. But that's not the point.". "Dina, sit." Evelyn pointed to the small round table with two chairs. Evelyn seated herself in one. What? You have a lecture for me? Fine. Dina thought but listened to Evelyn. It could be seen on Evelyn's face the hurt Dina's words caused, in any other situation Dina would apologize without a second thought but now she kept quiet. She would come to regret it later. "I don't know what you heared but know that there is no truth in those words." Evelyn tried to soften her expression as much as she could while looking at Dina's stubborn face. There was no reply from the girl. "All I do while you're not home is work and take care of the house. I told you once that I'm trying to keep you away from the horrible things that you can see when a patient is brought to me." what Evelyn was forgetting is that Dina is still too young to understand something that see can't see, for all Dina understood there could be a carnival everytime she left the house. "I know that there must be those who look down on you and tease you, I don't understand why won't you share this with me." Evelyn was fighting tears again. Dina was all she had and she wanted to be part of everything in her daughter's life. The girl's face started to go softer, less serious. Dina bowed her head, starting to feel the pain she caused to her mother. It was the same pain she was going through every time when someone talked about their father and everytime she was confronted by the same "Your father didn't want you, that's why he's not here!". "My mom is better than your mom and dad together!" Dina always defended her mother and herself. Evelyn never told her anything about her father, she always said Dina was too young to understand. "Dina?" Evelyn called out to her, worried. "Where is my father, mom?" Dina started crying suddenly. "Dina!" Evelyn flew to hug her crying daughter. This was the moment she feared the most. Evelyn knew that the day will come when Dina, however proud and strong she was, won't be able to take it any longer. Of course, Evelyn had a lie prepared, the one she used every time someone asked her about Dina's father but... My poor child. I would tell you everything. No lies, no made up people. Your father... It's all my fault Dina. I was too stupid, too smitten to accept the fact that he will never be able to live with us. You, my precious one, is who is paying for my poor judgement. In that moment Evelyn started crying too, it was so hard to lie to Dina. "Your father is long gone, Dina. He died protecting our country and the crown. He was a soldier. There was a battle he couldn't win and... and..." she couldn't speak any longer.

There was some truth in what Evelyn was saying, however twisted and far fetched it was. Dina's father was a king. In order to protect his family and stay the honorable king for all who looked up to him, he had to abandon Evelyn and Dina. Evelyn often thought of her time with him and often consoled herself that the king is not the same person, that the Anglimar she knew died to sustain the one that ruled the land. That was how she saw it. Did he ever love me? She couldn't hep but wonder.

"It's alright mom. I'm so sorry." Dina struggled to speak clearly. "I know. I'm sorry you had to go through this." in that moment Evelyn decided. "From now on, I'll teach you. You'll never be left out again."

Evelyn's Cabin, woods south of Alicante, year 3313

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It was early Spring, and with it came a brand new start for Evelyn and her daughter, Dina. The girl never left Alicante in her life, and now she and her mother were moving out of the capital. It was a big change, but one that she would have to learn how to deal with.

On the bright side, they didn't go too far. Their new residence was a charming little cabin located in the woods, some ten miles south of Alicante. The position itself was near the forest's edge, but still well within it's protection. Having started off early, they reached their destination and new life just past noon. The Sun was high up in the cloudless sky when Dina and Evelyn entered the cabin's interior.

The little one was full of questions as always, and who could blame her? She just left her whole life behind, and without real reason on top of that.

"Mooom, where are we? There's not a soul here." Dina whined looking around the exterior of the cabin. "Didn't you say that you want to know more about healing herbs? There are more than plenty around here, I'm sure." Evelyn smiled, of course, this was not the only reason. And isn't it great? Beautiful nature, just the two of us. She thought. The woods were truly beautiful and full of life, something a healer such as herself finds priceless and wonderful. Was there anything wrong with getting away from the city? Of course not. And from all the doubts and yearning? Evelyn indeed had a second reason for come here aside from educating her daughter: Him. The king and all the feelings she could not just cast away, and also the hurt she felt every time that confidant of his stopped by. It should have been him cheching up on HIS daughter, not to even mention that he never asked about Evelyn. It did hurt for Evelyn never stopped loving him and the moments they shared. She needed him like a flower needs water to grow. Just a word from him from time to time would be enough. A letter, maybe. All she got was some money and a few questions about Dina. Evelyn sighed lost in thought like that, looking at the trees and bushes, wild fruits and berries. Here we will be peaceful. I only need Dina and I know she will like it here once she gives this place a chance. She is so much like her father, but also a lot like me. Even more so that she would think herself...Also, I don't want some inappropriate boys chasing her around the town, it's too early for her yet. It could be said that Evelyn was acting a little over-protective.

Dina was fast asleep that night, tired from the moving. She wasn't really happy about the move at the moment, it was all so new and strange but she had to admit that this place was something else. Even though she left behind everything she knew to come here, this was a good thing. This is what she concluded before she fell asleep. It was an opportunity to learn and grow, after all. But she didn't even bother to tell me beforehand...Just pact your things, lets go. Didn't even get to say goodbye to everyone. This was the only thing Dina blamed her mother for, but she did think that this was a good change because she was never really close to the kids from Alicante as she didn't go to school. Yes, maybe I'll be able to find myself in the wild of this place. This could seem like a sad though. Dina was just entering that fragile age where one had the need to find the place in this world. Maybe new is not a bad thing... It was definitely not a bad thing!

Evelyn's Cabin, woods south of Alicante, year 3315

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's another hot summer day, sunny and boring. Dina is all alone in the cabin, left to entertain herself, while Evelyn is out in the forest replenishing herbal supplies. Suddenly there is a knock on the door. Well, not really a knock as much as a thump. Yes, a thump at the door, heavy, and then one more, softer.

Dina rushed to the door. That can't be mom. She wouldn't had knock...maybe if she had collected that many herbs.... She thought as she opened the door.

The moment Dina opened the door it became obvious that it wasn't Evelyn. Instead, a middle-aged man was leaning against the door frame with one hand, while his other hand was pressed against his stomach around which his clothes were stained red. He was dressed like a hunter, and since the cabin was in the middle of the forest it was safe to assume that he was one.

"H-help..." the man moaned in a tortured voice, then almost collapsed as he slipped a bit lower along the door frame, barely managing to support himself.

There was apparently no one else outside.

"Oh, no... Help me get you to bed." Dina half-whispered in surprise. She moved under the man's arm with which he had been holding himself up against the door frame. Just so you don't collapse on the floor. She thought while beginning to make her way to the nearest bed. There were few beds close to the cabin door as the place was made to look like a miniature hospital.

Dina remembered a conversation with her mother in a flash. She always wondered why they needed so many beds, the largest group that ever came for help consisted of 2 people. "You never know." Evelyn would always say. None of this really mattered at the moment.

Dina wasn't about to ask what happened to the poor man, he was bleeding too much to stop and chat.

Obviously in a great deal of pain, the hunter murmured some words of which Dina only made out "help" and "thank". She managed to get him on the closest bed but he was still bleeding considerably. The clothes covering his stomach were drenched in blood which he wasn't able to keep from flowing with his hand. He looked up at the ceiling, his eyes falling shut and then opening again periodically.

Dina still couldn't tell what his injuries were, but it was a miracle that he managed to get here in the first place. And since her mother was still away, it was up to the girl to do whatever she could.

Dina got hold of a short knife, what alcohol she could find, a gauze, a roll of bandage, and a water drenched cloth. Working as fast as she could, she cut through the man's shirt and got to a deep slash wound. She cleaned the wound, her mind racing. Dina knew she wasn't strong enough to lift him on her own. How will she manage to wrap the bandage around him? There was a simple, silly-seeming solution and she went about it. Dina tied him to the bed with the gauze pressed to the wound and a bandage holding it in place. The clothes she pulled off him lay on the floor at her feet. Dina found his pulse, weak but steady. The blood flow from the wound seemed weak now as well. Dina was worried. There is only so much blood you can lose. He seems stable for now, but for how long? And Maker knows when mom we'll be getting back. She thought as she paced around the room. Evelyn would had never let her manage a person in this state on her own. Dina did stabilize him, but was right as well, his time was running out. This would be a huge feat for her if she could manage to save him without any help. This made her sceptical, excited and afraid at the same time. On an impulse she went to the kitchen, picked out some dry herbs and proceeded to make a paste. It was the one she remembered Evelyn used when dealing with cuts. To tell the truth, never as serious as this one, but Dina made her mind. The paste was ready soon and Dina was now standing over the man thinking how to go about it. She decided to apply preasure with one hand to prevent bleeding, and quickly apply the paste with the other. Ready...go. She managed to do as she planned. This should help the wound close faster. When Evelyn did this it seemed to work within minutes, herbs from the paste causing blood to coagulate much faster than normal, stopping the bleeding. Dina checked the man's pulse again, there was no change. So far so good. Time passed. It seemed that everything was working just right. There were no new visible blood stains on the gauze. Maybe 15 minutes passed...

Suddenly, Dina's patient screams and shouts, attempting to reach for his wound that appears to be bleeding again. The torment doesn't last long. He had already lost too much blood by the time he got to the cabin, and this final bleeding was the last drop. Literally. He stops moving. Next to him, Dina sees his hazel eyes go still and dim.

In a state of shock, Dina doesn't move an inch. She just continues to stare into those empty eyes.

How could something so simple had gone so terribly wrong? She had seen people healed here even from worse starting condition. As Dina sat there, covered in blood, not able to tear her gaze off the poor man she killed...Yes, she killed him. He was stabile but Dina decided that she was ready to heal him on her own. Her arrogance had cost this men his life. He came for help and I...killed him. He's dead. "He's dead" she repeated out loud. Dina managed to move and cover his eyes, closing them. "I'm so sorry..." she started crying and continued for what seemed the longest time. There was no way that could make this right again.

"Dina! I'm home." came a familiar voice from the door. Dina barely looked at her mother who entered. Evelyn froze for a moment, her eyes following the blood stains from the door, to the bed, to Dina. "Dina?" she moved to hold her daughter. Dina was still caught in her sobless crying, new tears rolling over the dried ones again and again. Evelyn seemed to know what happened, except for the part only Dina knew. "You did everything you could.", she said stroking Dina's hair, "We can't save them all.". She held Dina in her arms until Dina pulled away, proposing they bury the man.

It was later that Dina realized what had gone wrong, and why her mother never used that paste on serious wounds: it helped close the wound by coagulating blood, but if it got inside the body it did the same...creating clots.

Blood that was denied its usual path escaped where it could, creating pressure and re-opening the wound in the process.

Dina was too rash to see it in time, and too surprised by the arrival of the man to think of it in the first place.

After this Dina never had enough confidence to deal with severe wounds on her own, even when Evelyn said that she had taught her everything she knew.

Woods south of Alicante, year 3319

-------------------------------------------------

It was some time before noon on an autumn day. The trees were aflame with colors of the season quickly replacing the lush green tones no longer supported by summer. It was still relatively warm. A year and a half had passed since the Sorceress Ilhirel forcefully took the throne and began her rule of Asgard.

But these events, though world-changing, mattered little to the young girl walking through the peaceful woods on a routine walk to collect herbs.

Dina walked a well known path. There were spots in the forest that she by now knew would yield certain herbs so she could afford to daydream while searching. Her long black hair flowed on the gentle breeze as she walked the forest path.

Then suddenly she emerges into a small clearing underneath the treetops that is filled with still bodies in military gear. The blood of the dead is streaked across the landscape like movement of an artist's brush and makes the whole scene look like some gruesome painting. None of the bodies are moving. The girl knows the smell in the air all too well. Death.

Yet despite all this, birds are chirping happily somewhere hidden, in contrast to grim reality.

Dina took a sharp breath as she hastily flashed her eyes over the scene. For a moment it was all she did. Next, she shivered wildly but not from the cold. "Hello? Anyone awake? Speak up! I'm here to help! Please give me a sign...Talk to me!" Dina started rushing from body to body, checking their vital signs. She was combing through them as quickly as she could knowing that if there as someone alive every second was precious. Her hands shook slightly but soon all her body and mind switched to the focused calm of a person on a purposeful mission.

As she moves from one unmoving corpse to another, hope starts to abandon her... When finally there is a sign of life. A white haired shadow elf woman stirs in her lying position. She is wearing what seems to be remnants of a badly damaged armor all covered in blood. Her eyes briefly flutter open and then shut again. She makes slight movements with her left arm, and seems to try and whisper something but it is completely unintelligible.

Whoever she was, her condition was grave. That much could be seen without an in-depth study.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back