• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Different || World Lore

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here

smolfluffball

Dork #1
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
This thread is specifically for lore of the world (and will be a bit of an info dump), like the characters powers and the creatures and the setting! More info will be added as I write it up and as it's revealed in the RP, so it might interest you to check back frequently. I'll announce when I've added more information, so don't worry about missing it!

P O W E R SThe characters get their powers the night the storm happens and the world ends. They don’t notice it at first, but there’s a strange feeling in their chest, and it starts to become more intense and weird feeling. It’s odd, the feeling. It’s both warm and cold; familiar and unfamiliar; painful and soft. It’s certainly peculiar, but the moment the characters start to notice it and question it, the feeling fades away. A warmth spreads throughout their body, and in the very next second, the thoughts of the sensation completely disappear. They don’t remember the weird feeling in their chest, at all, but that sensation was their powers surfacing. It wasn’t anything flashy, and most people probably chose to ignore it, but it happened, and now they have new, fantastic, and absolutely terrifying powers.

That’s fine, though, because when they wake up the next morning, the town was destroyed! So they have a bit more to worry about besides some weird and scary powers.

The powers themselves are incredibly versatile, and they are very much up to your imagination! There are some limits, such as no necromancy, no elemental manipulation, no mind reading, and just general stuff like that. A power cannot be too overpowered or different from the lore of the story, but the lore of the story is quite open to all kinds of stuff! Transformation, minor creation, metal manipulation, healing, goopy abilities, vocal manipulation, shadow powers, energy powers, light junk, robot sympathy, flight, super strength, lasers, speediness, and more… Anything you can think of, throw it at me. I will guide you and offer suggestions to any power ideas you come up with. I want people to explore their characters powers and get a good understanding on them, because they are very important to the characters' well-being. I will literally consider every power idea that anyone throws at me, and unless it just doesn’t fit into the lore of the story, I will offer suggestions about how the power could develop and grow and manifest.

Some examples of powers that don’t fit into the lore of the story are necromancy, like seeing ghosts or talking to the dead or raising corpses. Elemental powers aren’t allowed because of how vast they are, but electrical manipulation (such as going through cables or electrical circuits) is allowed! Weather manipulation is considered elemental, and therefore off the table. Mind reading is iffy at best and not something I really want to bring into the roleplay, just because it’s so complicated to work into replies and character interactions. I would also stay away from summoning powers, mostly because it doesn’t fit with the lore. Humans aren’t able to summon anything in this world, except for their pet dog. Here, Fido! If there are any powers that relate to anything in this paragraph (except for electricity), I will ask you to change the power you have in mind. Try to be creative! Push your imagination! Have fun with it!

A weird fact about the powers that the characters now have is that they feel like they’re a part of them completely, and that nothing feels off about their bodies. The feeling in their chest is comfortable and reassuring, warm and intimate; it just feels like it belongs there. Even though it really doesn’t. The power they have is actually a big problem to the characters for plenty of reasons, but the most pressing one would probably be because the spooky creatures seem to only attack the humans who have the powers. That’s a bit concerning, especially because all of these characters have powers!

Some characters would want to be rid of these powers, I’m sure, because they’re abnormal and dangerous, but that doesn’t exactly work out for them. The powers seem to have a mind of their own, and this manifests in several different ways. The powers protect their hosts from severely injuring themselves/dying whenever they try out their ability, fizzling out before the host reaches their limit, and some of them can even be finicky and, weirdly, argumentative? They seem to have personalities, but they mostly just seem to want to protect their hosts from hurting themselves with their new powers. The characters can push their powers past their limits, but that usually results in an ache in their body the next few hours/days (depending on how far they stretched their ability) and they’re power acting up the next day. Not wanting to work properly, or quickly enough, or not wanting to be as powerful as it actually is. It’s very, very strange, but leaves room for a lot of development between your character and their power!

The powers will grow and expand over time the more your character practices with it, acquiring new skills and branches. It’s a good idea to have a general idea of where you’d want your power to end up at and work backwards, but I’m also more than eager to help you come up with stuff to add to your power! Everyone is on the exact same skill level with their powers when the roleplay starts; no one is more experienced or skilled than anyone else. Characters have one primary power that they focus on, but as the power expands, so do the paths it can go down. There’s lots of potential for developing powers here, if that tickles your fancy. Even if it doesn’t, it’s an important part of the roleplay, so you need to put some thought into it! That’s where I come in - throw your ideas at me. Let me help ya out!

If you have any questions about the powers just ask away! I am expecting there to be several, several questions, since the powers are so particular, so don’t be afraid to ask anything~ I’m super excited to see what everyone comes up with!

C R E A T U R E SThe creatures are very odd, and definitely don’t seem to be part of this world. They are white, warped figures that take on the form of animals but have no distinguishing features except for a mouth full of sharp teeth and some sharp animal feature to inflict damage. They take on animal forms that are able to move around easily; birds, wolves, cats, dogs, hooved animals, some lizards. Whatever form they take, they maintain their regular size, which is about the size of a moose, or maybe larger. This means there are some giant pure white lizards walking around, with sharp teeth and claws, hunting down characters and ready to hurt them.

The creatures are hunting down the characters with powers, and only the characters who got powers that stormy night. They attack the humans with powers by using their bodies as battering rams, or their claws as weapons, or biting at arms and legs to knock someone over. Their main goal is to try to knock a human out so that they can rip the power from the human and consume it. The creatures aren’t actually evil - they’re just trying to survive, and the characters have what they need to survive. They only kill someone if they get injured, but that doesn’t change the fact that they do seek out and attack the characters first. If they get away from a fight with the humans, injured and bleeding, they remember and seem to come back with a new found vengeance to kill the people who harmed them. They are thinking creatures and can learn characters powers, and some of them are capable of mimicking human speech to try to lure humans into traps. They’re a dangerous bunch, and it’s best to try to avoid them if you can… although that’s hard to do.

The way that they rip a power from someone is incredibly painful, but it involves an unconscious/dead person and the creatures teeth going into the person's chest to grab the power and pull it out. The creatures don’t rip open a person's chest and it isn’t bloody! They are able to phase through solid matter and grab the power with their teeth, then just pull it out. This is excruciatingly painful to the human who has the power and it feels similar to you’re heart being ripped out of your chest. After a power has been removed, the human who had it changes dramatically. They become either overly emotional or emotionally detached, and just generally unbalanced. After all, their power was incredibly important to their well being, so having it taken like that just destroys a part of them that was vital to their person.

The creatures seem to be able to track down humans with powers, although they don’t have any obvious eyes or ears or nose. They are also physically very strong but can bleed black blood, getting hurt from metal pipes or arrows, and from the characters powers. The way to attack them varies by each creature encountered, but a general rule of thumb is to aim for a surprise attack or full on frontal attack - try to overwhelm them. They’re very hard to sneak up on, because they can sense the humans with powers easily, but the backs and legs of each of them are weak spots. Their forms are all different and their speed varies based on what animal it chose to copy - a lizard could be fast and nimble, but a turtle would move more slowly and have a tougher skin. Long distance attacks can work depending on how quickly they’re sent out, and attacks from characters powers seem to be extra effective, damaging the creature more than any human weapon can.

The characters, thankfully, have a warning sign whenever a creature is nearby! A static-like noise starts to form in their head, in the back of their mind, until it becomes louder and gives them a soft ringing in their ears and a minor, muffled headache. The creatures are also not very cautious of making noise and can be heard rustling leaves or knocking over rubble, but there are some special creatures that learn to sneak around, though those are special cases.

It was mentioned earlier, but the creatures are able to become incorporeal and phase through physical matter. They don’t do this often, as it’s dangerous for the creatures to do this, but when they become incorporeal they can’t be hit by anything except for the characters powers. They are able to be seen when they are incorporeal, they don’t turn invisible, but they are able to attack the people with powers! In general, the creatures don’t have any animosity towards the humans and just want their powers, but the characters don’t know that or understand that so they have to fight to protect themselves.

Last edited:
S E T T I N G✩ There's an attached town map! Thank you RIPSaidCone RIPSaidCone for making it!

The basic setting for this story is a fictional small town named North Hadleigh, in Washington state. The city is in the north-western part of the state, about an hours drive away from the ocean. The most prominent thing about the town is the lake, which is known as Menwell Lake; it has docks, water activities/vehicles and a small beach attached to it. The lake is nestled between the local college, a rich gated community and the forest. There are trees scattered all throughout the town, both deciduous and coniferous, and the main street of the town is brick and has wrought iron lanterns. Many people who live in the town often frequent the main street and visit the small shops there, and the town holds festivals twice a month in the Town Square. The surrounding area outside of the main street is some neighborhoods and other small shops, along with some grocery stores and other buildings that every town needs. The local college is near the lake, which is a few blocks away from the Town Square. Most commodities are within walking distance from each other when leaving the local college. The neighborhoods are smaller, the houses mostly made of brick, and the roads are all well maintained and the yards are looked after. North Hadleigh is definitely not a poor town - the people care for the towns appearance and keep it looking pretty, with flower planters and local art scattered around the sidewalks.

There are rumors that North Hadleigh has roots dotted with magic, but none of the inhabitants of the town believe in them, because magic isn’t real and there’s no proof that it ever existed. Anyone who DOES happen to believe in the rumors are laughed at and told to grow up, to stop believing in the lies people are spreading. The reason anyone would believe in magic in North Hadleigh is thanks entirely to local folk tales, legends, myths, the statues in the forest, or maybe they listened to one of Old Man Peters stories....which is exactly why no one should listen to Old Man Peters stories.

This will be updated as soon as the end of the world starts, so be sure to check back later!

C L U B + L O C A T I O N S

• The LGBT+ club has a name, and that name is Different! Neil was tired of the negative connotation the word had to him, so he decided to take it and make it into something he would be proud of. He worked hard to establish it as a club and handmade the fliers, because he had too many problems with the printer and got annoyed at the machine. The activities the club does varies every meeting, but they generally consist of playing games, socializing, eating snacks/dinner and watching movies with LGBT+ themes! The club was started the very first week of school - that is, mid August - and has meetings every Friday from 6pm-9pm. The meetings are sometimes longer or shorter, depending on how everything goes during it.

There have been five meetings since the club was established, and the roleplay starts on Friday in the second week of September, during the club meeting.

LOCATIONS WILL BE ADDED AS THEY ARE DISCOVERED IN THE ROLEPLAY

Attachments

• NorthHadleigh.png
    NorthHadleigh.png
    522.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back