Experiences Did You Ever Complete a Roleplay?

Thanny

The Destined Undestined
This has been nagging at the back of my mind for a while now, but as the title queries I was curious if many of you have completed a roleplay, or at the very least reached a milestone event where you and everyone was satisfied with leaving things off for a sequel. Roleplays can last a very long time as well as a very short time, and because this hobby can be so transient I hope that at least one roleplay can be said to be the best roleplay ever finished by a duo or a group.

Yes, I have, and it is the cringiest roleplay I will ever bare to produce. But it is finished in its entirety. Complete. And I am still proud of it despite how embarrassing it might be.

I've finished one, a group rp surprisingly. It was a Percy Jackson roleplay on another site, and we actually kept most of the original group and finished the main quest, it was a super fun experience. We tried to do a sequel but that one did not work out.

Yes, I have, and it is the cringiest roleplay I will ever bare to produce. But it is finished in its entirety. Complete. And I am still proud of it despite how embarrassing it might be.
I've finished one, a group rp surprisingly. It was a Percy Jackson roleplay on another site, and we actually kept most of the original group and finished the main quest, it was a super fun experience. We tried to do a sequel but that one did not work out.

Very nice to both of you! Those are quite the achievements, especially if the completed one is a group roleplay which have, in my opinion, far more unlikely odds of survival.

Mine was also a group roleplay (I was a player, not the host), and we kept half of the original cast as a core of highly dedicated individuals that worked and toiled our way to the end. The result was amazing, and the endgame situations were fantastic. I reuse some of the characters I had every now and again, thinking of their predecessor roleplay fondly.

Completed roleplays are difficult to come by but the reward is everlasting.

Never once. Not a single roleplay I've participated in has ever come to a natural end in the twenty + years I've been in the hobby. It's rather tragic, tbh. 90% of those endeavors have been group RPs. I don't know if those have a higher mortality rate than 1x1s.

You might be correct about the mortality rate. I have had more experiences with group roleplays, and for the most part have participated in 1x1 roleplays only with one person until lately (the person mentioned had a lot of capital and chancy ideas, so it was really hard to maintain interest in one area). It took me a good number of years to achieve one success, but I hope your roleplays, even if picked off by natural means and sniper fire, have been of great enjoyment to you!

I completed one here once, by complete accident. I accidentally created a situation that just killed my partner’s character, and the roleplay kind of ended there.

I think one thing that really holds me back from being able to finish roleplays, is that I prefer slower posts and more complete, long-term stories. That combination means that even a simpler roleplay for me could take years to complete. That’s a lot of time for something to happen IRL, one of the main roleplay killers in general.

Hm... yes and no, maybe? The longest roleplay I've ever participated in from start to finish was one of the first I had ever created; managing to reach up to 498 pages before things just sort of tapered off due to me and my friends abandoning the site it was hosted on after a while. We tried to continue it on a different forum, but so many of the other players had left by then and the plot was starting to get a little convoluted. We decided to unofficially end the story there and move on to a sequel (which didn't last). Other than that, never; we tend to run out of ideas before our stories can reach an official conclusion. <:s

Only a couple times... maybe more but it's hard to recall, since they were on another site. They all had set endings or were only meant for one chapter.

1. Military RP, players were dystopian spec ops guys, and the RP involved blowing up a rebel base and shooting a bunch of people. Mission success! (ppl that dropped out just got KIA)

2. Zombie RP. After hearing a radio broadcast, the players (in different parts of the city) had to all fight their way to the helipad of a news station, so that they could escape the quarantined city in a helicopter. The climax involved shooting their way through a bunch of cops that were trying to stop them, and a chopper chase with the military.

Other than that, technically there's plenty more if you count the times that the player(s) just end up dying ICly in GMed stuff.

No but my mentally challenged world ending pirate ended up having a son.

I completed one here once, by complete accident. I accidentally created a situation that just killed my partner’s character, and the roleplay kind of ended there. I think one thing that really holds me back from being able to finish roleplays, is that I prefer slower posts and more complete, long-term stories. That combination means that even a simpler roleplay for me could take years to complete. That’s a lot of time for something to happen IRL, one of the main roleplay killers in general.

I feel your pain there in both situations. There is nothing quite like making a situation where one or more players are assured to fail. As a D&D DM, I have put several situations together that would have killed players outright. The moment it did happen I was stunned to silence. In terms of roleplays my partner(s) and I were able to finagle our way out (except in arena roleplays), but I always dread that possibility of killing our characters.

Slow and steady does win the race, especially in group roleplays, as long as maintained interest is there. I hope your experience goes well with roleplays as of late!

Hm... yes and no, maybe? The longest roleplay I've ever participated in from start to finish was one of the first I had ever created; managing to reach up to 498 pages before things just sort of tapered off due to me and my friends abandoning the site it was hosted on after a while. We tried to continue it on a different forum, but so many of the other players had left by then and the plot was starting to get a little convoluted. We decided to unofficially end the story there and move on to a sequel (which didn't last). Other than that, never; we tend to run out of ideas before our stories can reach an official conclusion. <:s

498 pages . . . and I am assuming that that is 25 posts per page. That would be about 12450 posts! That is massive, and kudos to you there! I think you have well met your quota for five roleplays with that one. I believe the one I participated in finished with 65 pages of 25 posts per page, but with rather long posts.

Only a couple times... maybe more but it's hard to recall, since they were on another site. They all had set endings or were only meant for one chapter.

1. Military RP, players were dystopian spec ops guys, and the RP involved blowing up a rebel base and shooting a bunch of people. Mission success! (ppl that dropped out just got KIA)

2. Zombie RP. After hearing a radio broadcast, the players (in different parts of the city) had to all fight their way to the helipad of a news station, so that they could escape the quarantined city in a helicopter. The climax involved shooting their way through a bunch of cops that were trying to stop them, and a chopper chase with the military.

Other than that, technically there's plenty more if you count the times that the player(s) just end up dying ICly in GMed stuff.

"Your character got squished by a giant corn."

Short chapters and set endings, eh? I have never really participated in those, typically because of the desire for continuation, but that makes sense and is quite cool to contemplate. Very nice! Thsoe sound like fun roleplays.

No but my mentally challenged world ending pirate ended up having a son.

My egocentric thespian ended up going pirate and had a robot for a daughter (long story), so I hope I can share in the glory!

I completed a roleplay years ago and am writing a book based off of it

That is fantastic! Best of wishes writing! I hope it will turn into something superior and even more awe-inspiring!

I feel your pain there in both situations. There is nothing quite like making a situation where one or more players are assured to fail. As a D&D DM, I have put several situations together that would have killed players outright. The moment it did happen I was stunned to silence. In terms of roleplays my partner(s) and I were able to finagle our way out (except in arena roleplays), but I always dread that possibility of killing our characters.

Slow and steady does win the race, especially in group roleplays, as long as maintained interest is there. I hope your experience goes well with roleplays as of late!

Thing is, it wasn't even some game system, or a group roleplay. It was a 1x1 in which narratively it happened. XD

Technically, if you consider completing the first season of the whole RP (it was an anime-inspired RP, so multiple seasons). Still an achievement, though. Took over a year. 29 pages and 703 posts, with an average of around 500 words per post.

Not the whole rp, but completed story arcs. So technically, if we decided to end there, it could have been the completion of rp but we decided to start a new arc, so it's not. 🙃

Technically, if you consider completing the first season of the whole RP (it was an anime-inspired RP, so multiple seasons). Still an achievement, though. Took over a year. 29 pages and 703 posts, with an average of around 500 words per post.
Not the whole rp, but completed story arcs. So technically, if we decided to end there, it could have been the completion of rp but we decided to start a new arc, so it's not. 🙃

I daresay that you have completed a milestone if both have reached the end of the first arc or season of a longer story, so good on you, both of you!

Yeah, twice, and unless something happens, one of my current rps should probably be finished in half a year? We have one big arc left to take care of, so there's no telling how long that will take, but I'm confident that we won't walk away from it without a proper resolution. I believe that at least 3 other rps I have going on will be properly finished, too, but I have no idea when as those aren't close to completion yet.

honestly, i never have, and i can’t say it’s that upsetting to me, in all honesty?

i get it why people want a sense of “finality”, but even if i have a good time for the most part, i’m happy. i think i feel this way with media as well- unless the ending is REALLY bad, like going against all the themes previously set up bad, even if something has a poor/can’t stick the landing ending , if i’m still happy with the rest of the story, i can say overall i enjoyed it. it never “ruins” anything for me to not a have a “proper” ending. i would rather have an improper ending than a bad one, i’d say.

so maybe one day i’ll be able to finish an rp, i do still attempt to work things to a natural end, obviously, but i don’t EVER go into a rp expecting a proper end. and i’m fine with that! :-).

I have finished a few here and there. It’s mostly ones with really simple plots. I usually aim for more long-term RPs so I kinda don’t want it to end. XD

Yep! Years ago when I was around 18? I had a long-term RP with someone that went over two years, the characters just got along so well. There was drama, all the juicy stuff. We did finish it and move on, however, our friendship went through a very rough patch and we stopped speaking, unfortunately,

Crud, I forgot to answer most of these back. Time to correct that. Thanks, Wings!

Yeah, twice, and unless something happens, one of my current rps should probably be finished in half a year? We have one big arc left to take care of, so there's no telling how long that will take, but I'm confident that we won't walk away from it without a proper resolution. I believe that at least 3 other rps I have going on will be properly finished, too, but I have no idea when as those aren't close to completion yet.

Nice work, in such a case! Twice is more than I have accomplished, and going for a third or more is quite the feat in my eyes. I hope that they were as fun as they are finished. =)

honestly, i never have, and i can’t say it’s that upsetting to me, in all honesty?

i get it why people want a sense of “finality”, but even if i have a good time for the most part, i’m happy. i think i feel this way with media as well- unless the ending is REALLY bad, like going against all the themes previously set up bad, even if something has a poor/can’t stick the landing ending , if i’m still happy with the rest of the story, i can say overall i enjoyed it. it never “ruins” anything for me to not a have a “proper” ending. i would rather have an improper ending than a bad one, i’d say.

so maybe one day i’ll be able to finish an rp, i do still attempt to work things to a natural end, obviously, but i don’t EVER go into a rp expecting a proper end. and i’m fine with that! :-).

I can agree that even though roleplays may not be complete they can be fully enjoyed. Most of my roleplays were enjoyed, but out of all of them I lucked out and got a very satisfying one that I stuck with throughout its life. To quote Sir Francis Bacon or anybody else who made it prior to him, "Some books should be tasted, some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly." I hope that your roleplays go well enough until they do reach a final conclusion or a good end or, best yet, both.

never. not once in over a decade of roleplaying. cx

I hope that your journey in this fine hobby of ours has been an enjoyable one, regardless of a solid end to a roleplay!

I have finished a few here and there. It’s mostly ones with really simple plots. I usually aim for more long-term RPs so I kinda don’t want it to end. XD

Very nice! I too have experienced a few with good, simple plots, but never finished anything yet for them, so I applaud you there. I am intending to finish a few sometime, hopefully this year, but agree that a long-term RP of a continuous story can be quite glorious.

Yep! Years ago when I was around 18? I had a long-term RP with someone that went over two years, the characters just got along so well. There was drama, all the juicy stuff. We did finish it and move on, however, our friendship went through a very rough patch and we stopped speaking, unfortunately,

I'm sorry to hear that your friendship was disrupted by something, but I hope the journey, even though the end was saddening, was a glorious one. My old friendships kind of puffed out as well, just because there was not much similarities or communication anymore, though they were some of the best ones I have ever had back in the days. I hope yours was something similar: fantastic and best for you at the time.

I can say that in my many years of rping, I did in fact finish one rp. It was an rp I was hesitant of joining because I had seen signups for another rp by the same GM for the same rp but in the DCU instead of the MCU.

Luckily I decided to give it a shot and it was one of the most fun rps i’ve ever participated in. I learned a lot about the MCU and made characters and friends i’ll never forget. We even had a sequel but sadly it didn’t finish.

I have not! Most have died early, a few advanced to some pages, some are ongoing. Hopefully I'll be able to complete one, but sometimes, it's in the journey itself, some RPs could go on indefinitely and the story would be complete even if the RP doesn't have an 'end' (slice-of-life or more episodic adventure RPs, for example).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back