Tech Detoxing from technology?

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Personally I find myself spending too many hours a day on my iPad, typing up replies, reading, consuming media. In this digital day and age, it is not uncommon for us to spend time online. For me, I found I spent an average 30 hrs per week online on technology. And daily 7 hours. That may not seem a lot, as I know there are a lot of people who spend more time online. Though for me, it’s worrying. As an introverted person, I find social interactions difficult, which is why I spend time online. But lately, I want to clear my head and get away from tech. As I just hate, how I rely on it. Although I am not on social media often like instagram, twitter, and etc. I am often online, roleplaying, reading, watching videos. Which can help me learn, and be informative though also counterproductive. So I do want to cut down on it. Any tips?

Well, from someone who is also using technology a lot, I find reading physical books a good way to take a break from the screens. Mush as I loved my laptop and phone, I can’t read a book on them (though writing is fine). At the risk of sounding trite, I think finding non-tech hobbies would also be useful — things such as drawing/painting, playing an instrument, origami, knitting, cooking, etc.

Good question - not easy to answer, though. One thing that helps me personally is to plan ahead. Take a moment to think about how much time you want to spend in front of the screen the next day. You know, don't just say 'I want to spend less time there', but actively think about how much free time you want to spend on rps, Youtube etc. Maybe it's three hours a day, maybe five, maybe half an hour every two weeks, doesn't really matter. Turn that vague idea into a number. Then think about when you want to spend that time. Maybe half an hour after lunch break, or in the morning after waking up. Maybe in the evening, when the rest of your day is over. Your choice, just try to make things clear. What does that do? At least for me, it means that I'm naturally keeping an eye on the time. If I said that I want to spend the time between 6pm and 8pm on RPN, typing replies, then I'll usually glance over to the clock every once in a while, and I'll notice when it's a quarter to 8. If that's not the same for you, set an alarm clock. If you're not done with a post, or want to watch that one vid, or whatever - then that's fine. But once you decide 'just a little longer', it's a conscious decision, and doesn't happen by accident.

Of course, doing something else instead is important, like Soot mentioned. Maybe spend a moment to think about how much time you spend doing interesting stuff on the internet (RPN for me, for example), and how much time you spend there because you're bored, or don't have anything better to do. For the latter, find something else that you want to do. One thing I do is the following: When I feel like I'm not doing anything that's really worth my time, I shut down the computer, and go outside. Walk half an hour, go jogging, whatever - pick some other activity that you'd much rather do than waste your time.

Note: I only have an ancient phone, and my computer, so I'm not running into the iPad trouble of always having the internet within reach. That changes things quite a bit, I reckon. Think it should still work out the same way by simply saying 'I didn't plan to spend time there right now, so the thing stays in my pocket', or backpack, or whatever.

So basically: Make being online a conscious decision, not a habit. Find something else to do. Maybe find a short activity that'll automatically get you away from the screen. Instead of watching that first video that you don't really want to watch, turn off the screen and make yourself a cup of tea. Then curl up on the couch with a good book, or go hiking, or begin to hum Beethoven's 9th symphony backwards if that's what you decided to do. Anyways, hope this helps a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back