Other Describe your "Worldview".

Zombocalypse

Quintessential Badboy
First of all, what is a "worldview"? Simply put, it is a philosophy of life. Here's an example...

John's worldview is... Work hard and play hard! Work hard at work, and once its day off, he'll blow it all on booze and women!

Something like that. Though hopefully, your answer will be profound and lengthier. lol

Hmmm, I think mine would be along the lines of “Do something good people will remember you for.” That’s something I think about often! It doesn’t have to be the entire world that screams your name, but the people close to you will tell their kids about you and so on.

I dunno lmao I just feel it would be a waste to die and not have done anything worth while.

Hmmm, I think mine would be along the lines of “Do something good people will remember you for.” That’s something I think about often! It doesn’t have to be the entire world that screams your name, but the people close to you will tell their kids about you and so on.

I dunno lmao I just feel it would be a waste to die and not have done anything worth while.

What would be an example of something worthwhile to be done?

I mean, it varies a lot from people to people.

You gotta explain because I don't know what nihilism is. lol. Is it a philosophy of meaninglessness? By Nietsche?

Sorry.

Nihism is the complete rejection of all religious principles, in the belief that life is meaningless to its core. Extreme skepticism maintaining that nothing in the world has a real existence because there is no definitive answer to that question "What's the point?".

Despressing isnt it? On the contrary. Most nihilists are carefree and decent people because our minds decide to remind us every day that we're very mortal. It scares us into a sort of fearful comfort. Nobody is making it out of here alive so be the best version of you. Once you've accepted that it makes life so much simpler.

Sorry.

Nihism is the complete rejection of all religious principles, in the belief that life is meaningless to its core. Extreme skepticism maintaining that nothing in the world has a real existence because there is no definitive answer to that question "What's the point?".

Despressing isnt it? On the contrary. Most nihilists are carefree and decent people because our minds decide to remind us every day that we're very mortal. It scares us into a sort of fearful comfort. Nobody is making it out of here alive so be the best version of you. Once you've accepted that it makes life so much simpler.

My issue with this is that the godfather of modern nihilistic philosophy, Nietsche himself, said that he doesn't encourage Nihilism as a good way of life. Also, they once asked Richard Dawkins if we should base our moral framework on evolutionism. Do you wanna know what he said? He said... "No. Because the result could be fascism."

Also... Nietsche spent the last few years of his life in an insane asylum.

I think nihilism is depressing.

Just my opinion though. Please don't be offended. I'm disagreeing but I respect your opinion.

Just my opinion though. Please don't be offended. I'm disagreeing but I respect your opinion.

None taken at all my friend. Perhaps I'm a special one? I get upset, I get sad, I get happy like everyone else. But I never allow myself to become angry. It's a waste of time and destructive in nature. I wouldn't listen to a nihilist nor would I ever try to understand them. They'real a lost people after all.

None taken at all my friend. Perhaps I'm a special one? I get upset, I get sad, I get happy like everyone else. But I never allow myself to become angry. It's a waste of time and destructive in nature. I wouldn't listen to a nihilist nor would I ever try to understand them. They'real a lost people after all.

Well, there are atheists who live morally well. I won't deny that.

It's just that I'm simply not convinced that life can be "complete" without God. lol. Call me old-school. I'm a traditional protestant.

I think one of the primary reasons I'm this way is because the Christian worldview simplifies everything. It provides an answer to the four deepest questions of life more completely and truthfully than any other worldview.

What would be an example of something worthwhile to be done?

I mean, it varies a lot from people to people.

As you said it does vary from person to person for sure. To me, it doesn’t matter what said thing is so long as it falls into the realm of “good”. An example though, running an animal rescue or faithfully volunteering with one. That’s awesome in my opinion! But not everyone likes animals. So there’s a million different things that could fall under worthwhile for different people. I don’t believe it has to be some huge feat either.

Hmmm...this is honestly a really complicated question for me. It's almost odd, considering how much I have dedicated in myself to persuing self-discovery and understanding, but the truth about people, as I'm sure you know, is that we are far from simple. The more I know about myself, the less I can really summarize what my thoughts are. The more topics I look into and the more I examine my behavior, the less uniform is seems.

So I'll go with pretty much what you've given: a life motto. Compressing it down as much as I can, and even then probably still missing quite a bit, I think my "wordlview" is, in it's most fundamental criteria, these three sentences:

1. Problems ought to be solved by the root, and ignorance of THE truth is the root of evil: Now, this is a complex one, but I think of all three, probably an easy one to understand. There are three important parts to this statement. First, when attempting to solve a problem, I always go first for the root of the problem. Fixing what causes the problem will eliminate it: To go for the petals and not the root is to undermine the real issue, while simulateanously not really fixing it, potentially bringing more harm than the good done. The second matter is what the ultimate root of the problem of evil lies, this is, in ignorance. I am of the firm belief that all humans act towards the decision that at the time they think best. If they make a wrong or evil decision, it is because they were unaware of, or didn't aknowledge, a better decision, or because a previous decision based on said ignorance forced their hand at a later date. Put my first two statements together and what you get is to solve ignorance is to solve evil, an idealistic goal obviously beyond my reach, but by contributing my own perspective and allowing it to be challenged, I can reduce ignorance in myself and others, and hopefully, better our lives. This is why I put such value on a good debate.
The third statement is what the ignorance is relative to: THE truth. The one truth. Singular. Even if no one perceives it, I find the concept of "there is more than one truth" or "there is no truth" to be utterly absurd statements. I consider relativism to be my arch-nemesis as an unfortunately widespread absuridity which by its own terms is unable to get out of its bubble.

2. Things have a dignity proper to their own being, and dignity proper to their condition. To act in a good fashion is to respect the dignity of others, while also acting in accordance to one's own dignity: I believe there is a fundamental dignity that applies mostly to people, but also extends towards animals and even objects, albeit to a more limited extent. I believe this dignity has two fronts: One which is inseperable from a person, nomatter how horrible they are, and one which is intrisically tied to one's own responsability and actions, a freedoom that can only be taken by oneself. I believe I was heavily inspired by Aristotelian and Socratic teachings on this matter, as with much of my current thought.

3. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst: Last but not least, just my general approach to decision making. I am generally an optimist, and try to look at things through the silver lining. I like to explore possibilities and scavenge what can be good and useful from what others might consider trash, because I often find people judge things too quickly and with too little thought. Nonetheless, however, my life is also full of tiny misfortunes just too small to properly complain about but too many for me to just take them in my stride... plus I'm a bit of a non-confrontational coward, so I prefer to always try to have contigencies.

Well, that was long and cringy...but I guess it was the best way I could phrase such a topic. Fingers crossed that I didn't totally misrepresent myself.

I suppose my worldview is that life is suffering. Of course, I don't mean in it in an angsty way but in the Buddhist practice. A healthy body will degrade. One cannot forever retain their wealth. Status will be lost with time. There is an impermanence to life as joy will turn to sorrow as sorrow to joy. The fact that joy must turn into suffering is a form of suffering in itself for one can never truly station themselves in a permanent state of happiness. I can have this joy and suffering because of my desire for lavish things, supporting my family and making a name for myself. I cannot simply give these desires up, so I live a life of suffering, a life of constant change. In this way, I can accept all the things that come my way as payment for following my desires. When I take a step forward, I can expect a few stumbles, falls, slips, and I can be okay with that. I hope I described that correctly. I feel like it's more profound than I make it out to be, but I can't put it into words.

My worldview is scientific.
At the small scale level, I believe that the scientific method is the best bet we have to understand the world around us. I also believe that the advancement of science should be one of humanity's main priorities, if not the main priority. The achievements of science speak for themselves; from running around forests hunting animals to driving cars, using sophisticated medicine and shitposting on the internet... it's science that's gotten us that far.

On a personal level, I believe that science serves the purpose of revealing the immense beauty of the universe. We exist in a reality that appears to be described mathematically. The structure of this reality is so incredibly deep yet so elegant, and endeavouring to understand this structure, even a tiny bit, is a fine way of spending my time here.

tl;dr
entropic's worldview: science is cool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back