• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Depths & Wilds (OOC)

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Alright WlfSamurai WlfSamurai I edited my post to something I can legally do. I can't deal 16 damage to the cultist (I thought I had 4 targets to hit), but I can summon an angry spirit of war, give it a giant skeleton-body, and point it at someone.

Alright WlfSamurai WlfSamurai I edited my post to something I can legally do. I can't deal 16 damage to the cultist (I thought I had 4 targets to hit), but I can summon an angry spirit of war, give it a giant skeleton-body, and point it at someone.
Ugh, I wish I had gotten to this sooner. We could have left it and I would have just adjusted. But, damn this post is awesome, too. Love your work. One of my questions I planned on asking your is to define how magic works in this work. You're amazing posts are doing that just by how Venaar is casting. It's such a treat.

I may still ask that question at one point or another.

For now, this construct is awesome.

Sorry, my network was down for a few days. Nearly got evacuated from my home due to a brush fire, and the area has just now started calming down. I'm going to try to get caught up tonight.

Sorry, my network was down for a few days. Nearly got evacuated from my home due to a brush fire, and the area has just now started calming down. I'm going to try to get caught up tonight.
No sorry needed! Wow. Glad you're okay. Take your time.

Guys, thanks for sticking with this. I know it's new and very different. I think when we get into our grove, we'll really have some fun with this.

Just wanted to say thanks for the buy-in. I love this game and really wanted to try this hack of it. <3

Anyway, enough touchy-feely.

Kotezira had been caught distracted.
In attempts to rally her mind, she jumped back just less than far as she could into the mist and out of sight.
There, behind the curtain of fog, she quickly considered her options and decided as soon as she felt certain.
Kotezira would circle around, shrouded by the inky whiteness, and try to catch the archers in an enfilade.
She focused on the sounds of the battle and tried to get a mental image of the area based on the little she caught glimpse of and what she sees now.
Moving swiftly but silently, Kotezira positioned herself and made ready her attack.
She beckoned the spirits of the forest, calling upon them to lend her the form of a direboar intending to charge and gore their attackers.

Defy Danger 6+0 (:T)
So, to just break this down a bit. You used the right roll and did this right. We had talked about it in private message. But, I just want to make sure to keep the examples coming so we understand how this works. PbP really makes this more complicated than it is.

Generally, you can write the above post and then here I'll tell you the move that triggers for your to roll. But you already knew from our little chat. :)

That initial part that you're jumping back into the mist to get out of sight is what triggers the defy danger. I set up the fiction that the archer was taking aim with a knocked arrow at you. So, you're defying danger+DEX to see if you are able to slip out of sight. The danger is the archer and his arrow that you're trying to defy.

You rolled a miss. That gives me the opportunity to use my moves and give you the consequences of your miss.

ANYWAY, I'll respond from that point. Basically, the archer is going to hit you with the arrow as you try to jump back and into the mist.

D. Rex D. Rex Random Word Random Word Vaneheart Vaneheart Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide

I kno im being annoying with the ignorance but i have super limited experience with dice games so i'm still at the stage where i'm hung up on rules n such.
Since there's no like orc stat buffs/debuffs or like tank mechanic, would the arrow do the same amount of damage to Kotezira as it would to the less hardy races? Would i have to play out being able to ignore some of the damage? is that even an option? Would that be a +CON roll?

I feel like i should add i mean for like movement n stuff. I understand that i got hit for 6 of my 16 in terms of like health.

You can get Armour from a variety of sources, including Moves and equipment. I think Armour is flat damage reduction, so if the enemy does 6 damage and you have 2 armour, you take 4. I think there are some class Moves that let you tank, either by ignoring or halving incoming damage on a successful CON roll. If your class doesn't have any of those moves, at high levels you can pick up moves from other classes.

Yea I'm just trying to get how and if there are any benefits/drawbacks to being an orc that are undisputable. Cause Wlf says there sorta is in the narrative aspect, but idk how to capitalize on that at all

Ah, I see. I was under the impression that other than your heritage moves, being an orc didn't have any particular mechanical impact, but I don't know for sure. Carry on.

Narratively speaking, I think it would already be factored in. Given this seems to be highly simplified.

So you could say "the arrow might have gone through to the bone of a thigh of the lesser races. But for the thick orcish hide of Kotezora, it sank in only inches."

This way you are still technically losing the same damage. But you are playing up the threat to play on who or what you are.

Racial speaking, the benefits you gain are your Heritage stuff. If you had racial benefits for being an orc. They would be listed there and used there.

For example, Kersh werewolf abilities are in his heritage (when I add them)

I kno im being annoying with the ignorance but i have super limited experience with dice games so i'm still at the stage where i'm hung up on rules n such.
Since there's no like orc stat buffs/debuffs or like tank mechanic, would the arrow do the same amount of damage to Kotezira as it would to the less hardy races? Would i have to play out being able to ignore some of the damage? is that even an option? Would that be a +CON roll?

I feel like i should add i mean for like movement n stuff. I understand that i got hit for 6 of my 16 in terms of like health.
Not annoying! Glad to answer.

Damage is just an abstract way to track effects of damage. We would just frame the narrative effects different for each character. Like, Kotezira just took an arrow. Since she’s an orc, I could see her sitting up and snapping the shaft off without so much as a grunt.

For damage, subtract armor, if you have any.

Ah, I see. I was under the impression that other than your heritage moves, being an orc didn't have any particular mechanical impact, but I don't know for sure. Carry on.
Yeah, it really doesn't. I did write some narrative effects into D. Rex D. Rex 's heritage for the werewolf piece. But, I think we limited it pretty well.

The hulking six armed humanoid construct of bone - which Venaar decides she will call Samedi - has an undeniably noble bearing, which isn't an adjective she often finds herself applying to centuries - millenia? - old bones, still shedding the earth from which they were so recently exhumed. It must be some residual aura from the bound noetic entity. It carries a spear, a round shield bearing no heraldry she recognizes, and four swords, the metal portions of which seem not to have oxidized, though their hafts and hilts have been replaced with bone.

Venaar's eyes go wide at the sight of what she has created. This is treading well beyond the sanctioned and well understood uses of her art, the preparation of the vessel, normally taking days of careful construction, having been entirely eschewed in the necessity of the moment. There are no cured ligaments nor formaldehyde soaked muscles to hold these bones together, no steel to clad and reinforce its form, nor cloth and incense to conceal it from ignorant and fearful eyes, only faintly luminous tendrils of green energy tethering each bone of the next in pale mockery of human biomechanics, and yet it moves. How it moves. Swiftly and surely, almost gleefully, the point of the spear leaps forward to impale the madman, whose attention has only just begun to shift from the admittedly alarming jets of flame piercing the darkness of the forest to the hastily assembled warrior of bone before him. [7; 6 dmg if it does damage]
So, I told you what to roll but didn't define what move you were doing by calling for it to defend you and then having it do so.

I think this falls into the "Do Their Thing" move. This thing is a warrior, so it fits its tags. And then I THINK it had +0 damage. (Sorry, learning how this hack works at the same time)

So, on a 7-9: "they do it, but there’s a cost, consequence, or limitation; the GM will say what."

Thoughts on what a cost, consequence, or limitation could be? I was wondering if it loses an arm off during the attack.

It has +1 damage (and +1 armour) from the Warrior tag, but yes, ordinarily +0 damage.

An arm can certainly fall off, but that seems like the sort of thing Venaar can just repair afterwards, so it's a fairly limited cost. Venaar could be knocked unconscious or be injured when the cultist tosses her off his shoulder to defend himself. The construct could go berserk or something. The cultist could be wounded but holding Venaar at bay. I guess it depends on how costly the cost is? Stabbing a dude, alone, in a forest, in the middle of nowhere doesn't immediately lend itself to a wide variety of consequences.

I'm thinking it does what you ask: defends you. And the damage is enough to outright kill this guy. I'm thinking it killed him to defend you, but that's it. This dead guy lands on top of you and you end up taking some damage. I'll write it up.

Meanwhile, what is everyone else doing? Kotezira just got put on the ground by an arrow. Kersh was following Venaar and the guy who picked her up. And Geratius still has an arrow being pointed at him.

D. Rex D. Rex Random Word Random Word Vaneheart Vaneheart Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide

So, how are people feeling about this game? It seems like interest has dropped off, or maybe people are just super busy. Does everyone still want to continue?

No worries. Give it another day or so and then I'll call it. If it's just you guys, D. Rex D. Rex and Random Word Random Word , are you still interested in playing just the two of you?

No hard feelings or judgement either way. Just want to make my plans for where we go with this.

All the best to everyone.

Whelp, I think D. Rex D. Rex is going to be out of action for a small while. I don't have anyone else responding. And I haven't received any interest in the interest thread. Maybe it's time to put this to bed.

Makes me sad. I love DW and was looking forward to really giving Ulimited Dungeons a tire-kicking.

Random Word Random Word you have proven, though, that a lot of the changes—especially the framework for spells—are fantastic. Appreciate the play.

For now, we shall shelve this game. Appreciate the interest and play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back