• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Depths & Wilds (OOC)

Main
Here
Characters
Here
I figure she's not used to having axes swung at her face, but you're right, I forgot that this isn't like normal D&D. I'm not describing my defence, I go all the way to my counterattack, and then if I roll badly on my counterattack I take damage, right? I figured she was going to take a nasty wound, get angry, and drain his blood to heal herself from the ground. I should actually write all of that in my response, then we find out if how well works with the dice. Got it.
Well, this jackass is primed and ready, so you're reacting first. And you're right about not used to axes and such. So you had it right the first time. I was just confirming.

So, basically, keep it as-is. This is going to be a defy danger+CON. You're just going to take hit as best you can. essentially. So, roll 2d6+CON. Here's how the move goes for reference. So, based on your roll is what will happen.

Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 1.08.47 AM.png

I should have described your fictional options, too. Sorry.

Everything is triggered by fictional circumstance. I kind of described him as not quite on you. So, if you had said you pull a knife and try to duck under his strike to stab him, that would have been an example of hack & slash. Since he wasn't quite up to you yet, you could have said you pull a knife and chuck it at him, that would have been an example of volley.

The easiest is to do what you do in-fiction and we decide which move that triggers. Later, as we get better at it, you can start to curb your descriptions toward the moves you want to roll.

For now, you rolled a 6 or less, so you miss, but you mark an XP!

One XP duly marked. Then everyone else does their action, then she gets to do something else? Is casting a spell an invalid action here because you can't counter an axe coming at you with a spell?

One XP duly marked. Then everyone else does their action, then she gets to do something else? Is casting a spell an invalid action here because you can't counter an axe coming at you with a spell?
ANYTHING you want to do is valid as long as you can do it in-fiction. So, if you can describe it to make sense, hell yeah you can do it.

I'd like to see what the others do while you're busy taking an axe to the face, and then you can kick-some-crazed-ass.

There's no real turns here or order. But, I like keeping the things in my head playing out together. That way, if you fireball this jerk and he dies, you can shift to what's happening real-time with the rest.

Nope, just checking for my edification. If I had, for example, carried on with the narration by saying that after she was hit with an axe she cast some blood magic reflexively, that would have been... no wait that seems not fair? The negative consequences for failing at spellcasting aren't ever 'you get hit with an axe', unlike with Hack & Slash. So... wouldn't spellcasting in response to enemy attacks just make you untouchable?

Oh, wait, I think I get it. If you fail at spellcasting in response to an attack, then you don't cast the spell, so you get hit with the axe. The consequences table is for if you succeed at the spell, preventing you from being hit with an axe. So you have to get a 6- to ever be harmed by an attack? So if she had cast a spell, she would have rolled a 5+2=7 and just scraped by in preventing herself from being axed?

Casting is then just universally better than trying to Defy Danger? I feel like Defy Danger looks like the thing you have to check first to be allowed to cast. Like, on a 10+ you do what you set out to do: Cast a spell while being axed. Roll for cast spell. On a 7-9 you can roll to cast your spell if you accept the complication offered by the GM?

Otherwise, with Defy Danger, worst case you get axed, best case you don't get axed. With Cast Spell, worst case you get axed, best case you fireball a jerk.

First, as a base, so everyone understands and so I can continue to only half-explain things like an idiot :xFrolleyes:, I never roll dice as the DM. Well, for damage I can, but that’s beside the point. The moves are self-contained packaged mechanics that contain the conflict and resolution. Also, it’s helpful to shift away from the idea that rolling dice is related to an action or task and instead think of rolling now to resolve a conflict or situation. I can come back to that later, though.

For now, responding to you bit above:

This is where it’s hard to change your thinking. We’ve all been conditioned to look for the mechanical best action. On paper, there are clearly better mechanical choices. As you said, spell-casting, on paper, looks better mechanically.

But, the thing to always remember: it has to make sense in-fiction. The fiction drives what options you do and don’t have. The fiction is the limiting force. This is a bad example because I was purposely leaving it more open so you have the ability to try things. But let me give you some examples (moves in bold):

• If I say there is an Orc swinging a club at your face, what do you do? You probably won’t have time to cast a spell. That’s probably a defy danger situation. Could also be a hack & slash.
  • If I say a wizard across the room from you is casting a spell, what do you do? You have a lot more options. You probably won’t need to defy danger. You can try to cast a spell before he does. Or you could draw and arrow and fire your bow at him with volley.
  • If I say there’s a landslide coming down the hill next to you, what do you do? That’s probably a defy danger, but if you have a special spell that might change the situation, you could cast a spell instead.
Defy danger is really usually a reactionary move to some danger coming at you. Sometimes it’s from something you decided to do that not’s covered by another move. “I want to climb that tower!” “Great, tell me what that looks like and defy danger with STR.”

Now, moves structure. When you roll:

• 10+, you do it and you do it well and you get what you want.
  • 7-9, you do it, but with a cost, consequence, or hard choice.
  • 6-, it goes wrong and I get to make a hard move on you from my list. This would be where monsters damage you or whatever you were hoping wouldn’t happen, happens. But you do get to mark XP!

Okay, I think I get it now. I was just confused by the description of this game as being D&D-like and having tactical combat, which usually means 'you're going to have to make at least somewhat optimal choices to survive'. So Venaar did not have time to cast a spell, and unless someone intercedes to get the angry man with an axe away from her, she will not be able to cast a spell in future either. She could draw her knife and try to fight back, but casting is narratively not a thing one can do while actively being assaulted in melee?

You're right, I did put the word tactical in there. Sorry about that. That word actually means something in the description of a game system and I shouldn't have used it.

Totally misleading.

Okay, I think I get it now. I was just confused by the description of this game as being D&D-like and having tactical combat, which usually means 'you're going to have to make at least somewhat optimal choices to survive'. So Venaar did not have time to cast a spell, and unless someone intercedes to get the angry man with an axe away from her, she will not be able to cast a spell in future either. She could draw her knife and try to fight back, but casting is narratively not a thing one can do while actively being assaulted in melee?
Goodness. How do I word what's in my brain right now... I have definitely forgotten and taken for granted how long it took me to step into this way of thinking. And you're not wrong, btw. You're aboszultley right 100% about what we do in games to ensure success. I hadn't considered I'm asking you to unravel all that and think different, which sounds so crazy.

I also have made ANOTHER grave mistake. I could done a way better job broadcasting what's coming to you AND asking you about what your choice means.

I know this seems like a—probably to all of you. I ask, just bear with me. I think you'll have fun once we get the hang of it and into the swing of things together.

If you like? I don't have any issue with what's happened so far, and everyone else hasn't even had a chance to do anything to undo yet.

So, seeing Venaar scooped up and carried off and then the other cultists still aiming at you, what do the rest of you do?

And, Venaar, yeah, he has you, but what do you do slung over his shoulder?
Edit: it'd be easy to cast a spell on while slumped over his shoulder or sink your dagger in his back.

No order or turn needed, just jump right in.

You're going easy on me! I was all ready for some blood and pain to shock her into action. Oh well, being carried off like a sack of grain gives her a moment to pull herself together.

Alrighty. Well, since Kersh isn't being engaged. I suppose it would be easiest for him to go and aid the kidnapped sack of potatoes. I shall do my best not to burn her as well.

Random Word Random Word firstly, this is the first time I've seen the cast a spell move from this hack used and wow. Fucking awesome. Super evocative, narrative, and Venaar's magic is badass.

One thing. In the future, I THINK roll four separate damage rolls. But, I'm asking the writer for clarification on that.

So, you guys posted PRETTY much at the same time and Venaar just melted this dude, basically. D. Rex D. Rex the hold from your defend move will dissipate since the threat has ended. I think I'll still write it as you distracting him. OH, you definitely did. I missed the bottom where you wrote that you were spending 1 hold to grab his attention. Perfect!

So, wait, did the spell not hit the other three? Are they out of range? I could have used fear instead, since that doesn't really specify a range. Is 4 damage really enough to kill someone?

So, wait, did the spell not hit the other three? Are they out of range? I could have used fear instead, since that doesn't really specify a range. Is 4 damage really enough to kill someone?
Oooh! Sorry. I misunderstood. I thought you were doing 16 damage to this guy to kill him. He has 6 HP.

Yeah, he had already run you off into the mist farther into the woods. Kersh really did have to chase after you two. Also, the narrative tag near does have a definition which I never answered you with before:

Near: It’s useful for attacking if you can see the whites of their eyes

You guys were already at near range with them before. The others are probably too far at this point. He carried you off away from the archers as he just kept running when he picked you up.

Would you like to change what you do to this poor bastard or your choices in the spell?

I think I'll start adding a spoiler section with more explicit facts so it's easier.

Whoa, we can't see the other three any more? This guy can really run. Uh, okay, maybe I should summon something then? I could damage and fear this guy, but that's only 2 PP, which is a bit of a waste.

I can't do big damage to single targets, I only do AoE damage.

Whoa, we can't see the other three any more? This guy can really run. Uh, okay, maybe I should summon something then? I could damage and fear this guy, but that's only 2 PP, which is a bit of a waste.

I can't do big damage to single targets, I only do AoE damage.
There is no kill like overkill!

Random Word Random Word firstly, this is the first time I've seen the cast a spell move from this hack used and wow. Fucking awesome. Super evocative, narrative, and Venaar's magic is badass.

One thing. In the future, I THINK roll four separate damage rolls. But, I'm asking the writer for clarification on that.

So, you guys posted PRETTY much at the same time and Venaar just melted this dude, basically. D. Rex D. Rex the hold from your defend move will dissipate since the threat has ended. I think I'll still write it as you distracting him. OH, you definitely did. I missed the bottom where you wrote that you were spending 1 hold to grab his attention. Perfect!

Oh I know. Kersh could have stayed behind, or been more useful attacking someone else. But it felt more narratively right for him to try and help her seeing as she would be perceived as being in distress.

And its super foggy. If we lose each other we might not find each other for a while. Best to not go alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back