• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Depths & Wilds (OOC)

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Kotezira has felt the hellish touch of fire, now they know my strength. Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide

Blight an uncommon but nasty disease. An umbral infection. Making what it taints rot in unnatural ways. Plants don't wither... they drip and liquefy. Both growing and rotting at the same time, spreading their unholy grove slowly. Animals, are likewise affected. They die much faster, especially when they leave the bounds of the grove, but not before they wander away where their fallen corpse will spread the sickness to a new area.

Its outside the natural order, and is dealt with in seriousness. We know more about it than we used to, thank the gods, and know how to deal with it. Rangers do well in locating these toxic and deadly groves, and there are orders dedicated to their eradication.

It was with Kotezira that Kersh was with when they happened upon a a blighted animal. They killed it quickly, and thanks to the druid, they were able to track where it had come from.

The Grove was wild and untamed at the entrance of a hidden cave. Somehow having been missed, it oozed from the cave mouth. A grove this far along. It must have held many horrors within. It would require drastic measures to purify.

With the help of the druid, Kersh drew upon the deepest and darkest flames. Flames he had always been warned against ever using. He gave up what up his body he could to fuel them, and unleashed them into the tunnel in a brilliant flash of black and red. Hungry Flames that tore through the blighted tunnel like a dark and ravenous dragon that glassed the entrance. At the very least it would buy them time to report this grove and keep it from spreading.

The blowback of the flame was enough to send Kote and Kersh backwards. Enough for the tongues of fire to lick both of them in its uncontrolled blast. And it would have burned in a way that no normal fire ever could. A burn that Kote would not soon forget. There was power in this man. And woe be it to whomever he directed a fury like this.

There's one bond out of the way! Will that work? WlfSamurai WlfSamurai
Ill see about getting to the next shortly.

Badass. Evocative. The imagery.

A legendary battlefield inside an ancient forest? Wherein there is a tomb of a long forgotten hero. The juicy implications! Gets the mind whirring.

So what then would be fitting to go along with this theme? Going for the Van Helsing. Going Witcher and Belmont.

This is a hard question.

To find an ancient artifact? That would be fit very well with the location. A legendary battle. A forgotten hero. Potentially pre apocalypse. What we could find could be spectacular. But we are monster hunters, defenders. Not archeologists or treasure hunters... that's just icing on the cake.

To search for a cure? Now here was one that caught my eye. What could be troubling people so that would have us seek for cure in such a place? And as our theme, it would fall in line to for us to give aid.

To find the chosen one! To me it would certainly be a novel idea to become the shepherds of the next great chosen one.

But pushing aside choice paralysis. I think one stands well above in its potential. Something that could tie into multiple characters as druid has been shown visions. Through bond, so too has the fighter and the wizard. More than enough opportunity that might lead us to this. Something up our ally. Something that very well could be much bigger than us.

And what better place for it to happen than a forgotten hero who may have once stopped it before. Who may have died to delay the inevitable. Or even just to spit in the face of a symbol of hope and salvation...

WlfSamurai WlfSamurai
We are here to stop the release of an ancient evil!
Fantastic. So, we have:
  1. We are exploring a legendary battlesite that lies deep in an ancient forest, seeking the crypt of a forgotten hero.
  2. We are here to stop the release of an ancient evil...
We've made a full round of answers and there are two answers left. So, I'm just going to pick at random for the last two.

Random Word Random Word , take the next:
guarded by…
  • …undead horrors
  • …crazed cultists
  • …twisted abominations
  • …ruthless assassins
  • …monstrous hordes
  • …foul demons
  • …deadly traps
  • …powerful constructs
  • …wild beasts
  • …skilled warriors

Ancient evils need crazed cultists. The foul demons come after the crazed cultists. Venaar will bring the undead horrors.

Ancient evils need crazed cultists. The foul demons come after the crazed cultists. Venaar will bring the undead horrors.
Ooooh. Cultists. Nice! That makes way too much sense. Love it.
  1. We are exploring a legendary battlesite that lies deep in an ancient forest, seeking the crypt of a forgotten hero.
  2. We are here to stop the release of an ancient evil guarded by crazed cultists...
Last prompt to finish the sentence! Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide , take us home:

and…
  • …an un-living lord.
  • …an alien horror.
  • …a fallen angel.
  • …an ancient dragon.
  • …a powerful sorcerer.
  • …a despotic warrior.
  • …a zealous priest.
  • …an infernal fiend.
  • …a criminal mastermind.
  • …the one that betrayed us.

an alien horror!
Oh shit! I was not expecting that!
  2. We are here to stop the release of an ancient evil guarded by crazed cultists and an alien horror.
OMG this is going to be nuts. I'll get the situation set in the Main thread. Excited!

More questions:

Oh shit! I was not expecting that!
  2. We are here to stop the release of an ancient evil guarded by crazed cultists and an alien horror.
OMG this is going to be nuts. I'll get the situation set in the Main thread. Excited!

More questions:
Oooh. I can do that? How much detail you want me to go into? How nutty you want me to nut up the nuttiness? I think I can spin a good yarn about it.

Oooh. I can do that? How much detail you want me to go into? How nutty you want me to nut up the nuttiness? I think I can spin a good yarn about it.
Yes you can! As much as you like, but leave blank spaces. Don’t fill in everything.

Yes you can! As much as you like, but leave blank spaces. Don’t fill in everything.
But of course! Nothing like a healthy heaping dose of strategic vaguery. Can do wonders for any developing narrative and improv reliant endeavors. I'll see what I can do.

why shouldn't you dawdle?
Because winter is returning with a vengeance. A storm is brewing on the horizon, an immense blizzard that will bury the forest in the season's first snow, closing off passes and making locating the tomb hellishly difficult. The cultists have enough supplies to dig in for the winter to finish the ritual, but if we don't get in, stop it, and get out before the storm hits in earnest, we're either in for a very difficult journey home or a long stay in a cold tomb. At least one of us breathes fire.

There is little by itself in the forest that would tell a person via untrained eye. The battle was long ago, and the forest has largely retaken the land. Yet here and there, are small signs and hints. Perhaps a small brass buckle from a suit of armor, or the rusted hilt of a broken sword. Or maybe collected piles of rock, a pile of arrowheads from a long-rotted quiver, or strange bits of foundation here and there, and oddly unnatural clearings from crumbled hasty fortifications. There could even be some bones in odd places, pulled into barrows and bushes by scavengers, or buried just deep enough in the earth to prevent decay via erosion, yet shallow enough to be accidentally kicked over.

The old writings in the libraries and the murmurs of villagers that live in the area seem to support the idea that this forest could indeed be the right place.

This is a damn good group. I give you guys world-building rights and you do awesome shit with it.

This might be a good time for discern realities from someone. Describe what you’re doing and roll it. Just as a refresher on the move:

Discern realities:
When you closely study a situation or person, roll+WIS. *On a 10+, ask the GM 3 questions from the list below. *On a 7-9, ask 1. Either way, when you act on the answers for the first time, whatever move you make gains advantage.
  • What happened here recently?
  • What is about to happen?
  • What should I be on the lookout for?
  • What here is useful or valuable to me?
  • Who’s really in control here?
  • What here is not what it appears to be?
D. Rex D. Rex Random Word Random Word Vaneheart Vaneheart Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide

Yeah, I’m definitely tired. Sorry!

Every roll in this game is 2d6+stat. So, in this case, 2d6+Wis.

Sorry again. Up all night with the kiddos. Good times.

So, the way this game works—and really almost every PbtA game if you haven't played on—is that I narrate actions for you to react to. Like crazed cultists about the loose arrows or bring an axe down on you.

You describe what you're doing in the fiction and then I'll tell you what to roll based on that.

Again, you roll 2d6+Stat for everything. But, hold off on rolling until we have a description for what you're doing to react. Then, I'll tell you which move to roll.

D. Rex D. Rex Random Word Random Word Vaneheart Vaneheart Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide

Random Word Random Word god I love where you're going with this character. It's been like two fucking posts. Geez.

So, she's just going to hold her arms up and hope for the best? Just making sure I'm catching the action she's taking.

I figure she's not used to having axes swung at her face, but you're right, I forgot that this isn't like normal D&D. I'm not describing my defence, I go all the way to my counterattack, and then if I roll badly on my counterattack I take damage, right? I figured she was going to take a nasty wound, get angry, and drain his blood to heal herself from the ground. I should actually write all of that in my response, then we find out how well it works with the dice. Got it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back