• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Demon Days (with ShredKnives)

Devil hunter oc (Abel)

Forty five years… Wow, really getting up there. That’s what Abel thought as he watched coffee trickle into his paper cup with a tired, glazed stare. For most people, 45 is modest. But to someone in his profession, it seems ancient. (Career demon hunters tend to die young.) He gave the waitress a thankful nod before putting the steaming cup up to his lips, the smell of fresh coffee greeting his nose. He propped his elbows against the counter, listening to the idle chatter of the diner. The conversations of the customers, the clatter of plates and forks, and the staticy babble of the tv set behind the counter blaring the morning news all faded into the background. Abel reminisced on his long and grueling career. He had a good run, better than some of his peers.

Over the years he’d seen some of the most skilled, experienced hunters in the business get wasted or step down. Just to be instantly replaced by some grinning, wide eyed rookie. A vicious cycle, but it was important work. Someone had to do it. Yet either through skill, or a stroke of luck, Abel always had persisted.

Suddenly, the television grabbed his attention. His head spun to look at the little box of shifting colors and light.

“In recent news, there have been reports of a devil held up in the electronics factory leading to a full evacuation of the premises.” The scratchy voice of the reporter announced. ”Authorities seem to be turning the threat over to the local bounty hunters. We advise everyone to steer clear of the southern end of the city until the creature has been dealt with.”

Abel stood up with a groan. That was his queue. He fished his wallet out of his pocket, dropping a few dollar bills on the counter before skulking towards the exit, taking his coffee with him. The sunrise flooded through the front window of the restaurant. Abel was unsure if it would be his last. Not how he expected to be celebrating his birthday, but he was grateful he was celebrating it at all. As Abel placed his grizzled hand on the doorknob, he felt his stomach groan. His only regret was not ordering a hash brown before he left.

Arriving at the factory, he stepped out of his car and fixed his tie. Slipping a hand into his jacket, he produced a shiny steel hatchet. Gripping it’s black, polymer handle with one hand, and his cup of coffee in the other, he stepped into the factory.

Perhaps it was time for this old dog to call it quits, he thought to himself. Hang up his hatchet and live a quiet life. Retire, open up a store, buy a boat or something. No… he had too much self respect for that. But at the same time, that kind of pride was going to get him killed. This was going to be his last job. Why test his luck any further? One last job.

Abel found himself in a dark room, surrounded by dormant machines. The only light source came from a window pane high above him. The air was heavy with dust, he could see it floating in the sunlight. The silence was loud as the man scanned around, searching the factory for whatever monstrosity was waiting for him inside.

Little did this stranger know, someone was already ahead of the punch; a girl by the name of Yoonhwa. She was, additionally, one of those grinning wide-eyed rookies with knack for destruction and college sports. Her powers were left to be explored and she was no more a bounty hunter than she was her own supernatural freak.

Her humility could use some work and her mouth could use some filters, but her intuition was stark and her guts was often akin to steel, leaving her rarely to be frightened. But the jumpscares still get her good.

Unlike most other people, she skipped breakfast. She was hardly a morning person, but she got up at 8:30 regardless only to get on a laptop and game it out with random strangers on the internet. If not that, then she was practicing ab workouts in the midst of her sessions and racking up push-ups whenever she died in Contra.

And she certainly wasn't one to dress up for any kind of mission.

Unbeknownst to this man, the girl was opening up a circuit breaker, disassembling the panels and stripping at the wire's insulation sleeve to reveal the hard conductor. One thing her power needed was electricity, which was why she had a bag over her shoulder at all times; it had a car battery, a wiring kit, and a couple of neat little trinkets and tools for more utility-related reasons. A wrench could do damage in the right hands.

"Bingo..."

That was, until she heard footsteps. She couldn't quite assert where the source of the noise came from, but she decided on her best option; keep hidden until the source was in sight so she, the human, wouldn't be mistaken for a devil and get immediately neutralized.

Then again, removing panels wasn't exactly any quieter than walking around in complete silence.

She quickly paused in her work, noting her door was still ajar. Quietly, she peeked out in search of the footsteps.

Abel lurked around the factory floor with a stare of pure concentration plastered on his face. The end of his long overcoat dusted the ground in his stride. His rigid posture sort of resembled an animal stalking it's prey. That wasn't too far off given the situation.

The old man let out an exasperated sigh, taking a long swig of his coffee. I'd like to get this over with. He had dealt with plenty of demons throughout the years, and was familiar with a lot of their antics. The sneaky ones were by far his least favorite. turned the thrill of the hunt, (more or less the reason Abel had stuck around for so long) into a chore. Maybe he should have left this job to one of the younger hunters.

But he definitely felt it, that odd paranoia that he was being watched. That's when he noticed the tracks. The dust in front of him had been disturbed, foot prints leading to the adjacent room.

"Hmph." Abel dropped his empty cup on the ground with a thunk, gripping his hatchet with both hands. He silently shifted over to the cracked door, preparing an overhead strike.

When Yoonhwa peaked around the corner, she found herself locking eyes with a middle aged man with an axe raised a foot above his head.

"Oh-" He lowered the weapon with a disappointed frown. "Sad excuse for a devil, aren't you." Abel was being sarcastic but it was unclear in his low, monotone voice.

Last edited:
Thunk!
Well, that's not a good sound.
Slowly, her head turned the corner; such a sound of a thunk meant a lot of things, like the drawing of a weapon or the pulling of a phone or whatever mumbo jumbo was forming in-

You have been spotted!
For the sake of being a prideful and confident bounty hunter, Yoonhwa wasn't the type of lady to get scared easily. It was a different issue when it was catching her off-guard.

She nearly leapt, awfully similar to that of a cat who just saw a cucumber with eyes bursting open at the sight of some boomer with an axe and her hand rapidly trying to use her heavy bag as a flailing weapon with the other one half-heartedly trying to hold a hand up so she was both declaring peace and hostility at the same time.

"Wait, wait, wait-wait-wait!!" Her voice barely managed to sputter out before his weapon was already put at ease. Though the relief washed over her, she had half of the mind to respond the sarcasm back in kind with a mix of adrenaline still pumping into her brain seven ways to Sunday. With a fierce whisper, "I'm no devil, Paul Mueller, I'm just...Hijacking the facility's electricity for my own ubiquitous desires."

She wasn't entirely wrong. "Hell. I didn't know someone else was gonna be here hunting! Unless you're the demon, Mr. American Psycho, which I'm kind of inclined to believe with your get-up. This what you wear so the demons appreciate the suit before they die?"

Meanwhile for her, she looked like she just got out of school save for her black heavy-looking boots, work gloves, and an overly-large leather jacket that screamed having inside pockets that probably contained ambiguous drugs.

Last edited:
"A good hunter dresses for success. You otta' know that." Abel responded with a neutral stare. He wondered if she actually thought he was some kind of demon in disguise or if she just wanted to take a dig at his fashion sense. He was humored, either way. Abel's tired, hazel eyes scanned her up and down, trying to tell if she was a hunter or some random grifter capitalizing off of the situation. She didn't look like your typical hunter, namely the school uniform. But she definitely had the attitude of one, if that smartass tirade was anything to go off of. Fact of the matter is, she wasn't some random civilian who just stumbled upon the scene. She came here herself, deliberately. With full knowledge there was some man-eating eldritch horror sneaking around inside. To each their own, I guess.

"Listen miss." Abel let out in a low, gravelly voice. He sounded exasperated but calm. Like getting scolded by your grandpa. "I don't know who you are, or what you were doing before I got here. Nor do I really care. All I know is that there is a devil hiding somewhere in here, and I'm pretty sure it's not you. " His voice trailed off, choosing his next words. "You can either help me kill it, or stay out of my way." He narrowed his eyes and gave her an icy scowl. "Which means leaving."

"Dressin' for a business deal," She mumbled under her breath. Who did this guy think he was, anyway? As far as she knew, he was past his prime; better off hanging that axe on a wall or using it to chop firewood, Tony Stark style, not dealing with whatever insanities lied ahead of them. She scoffed.

Who the hell does he think he is? My grandpa?

"Look, Mister, how about just staying out of my way? Times are changing! Axes and machetes aren't always gonna cut it, no pun intended. Gotta get creative, and uh, I don't really see you past hosting the Oscars. You might just drag me down like how you might drag your feet on the sidewalk. Tck."

The scowl was enough to provoke an equally-similar scowl from her, the girl meandering back to the circuit breaker panel. "Just so you know, I'm cutting power from the electrical outlets and rerouting it directly into me, so try not to touch me, Kratos, kay?"

She paused as she held the circuit breaker panel.

"Seriously, don't die, though. That would suck."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back