Demigods and Titans - Scion IC Thread

Athos takes a sip of his water as everyone starts to pepper him with questions. "First, I don't know much. What I do have is this," he pulls out of his pocket a small card and hands it over to show everyone. On it is the name Heather Riggs over a watermark of a pyramid, an address in upstate New York, and a date; tomorrow's date, to be precise. "I did some checking, and that address is to the Hill Academy, a private school two hours north of here. I got the info from a . . . friend of my father, one that I trust completely, even if I am frequently frustrated by Zeus' tendency to make me rely upon my own resources to find out any details of problems he want dealt with on my own."

He lets out a frustrated sigh. "What I do have is a bunch of missing kids and a scrap of a lead, and hopefully we'll be able to find out what the hell is going on before any of these youngsters are killed. Or worse."

Dawn lets out a sigh, then says, "Well, it seems that my father is not the only one that doesn't give out too many details when he needs something done. I guess I should be glad we have any information at all, right?" She takes the offered card and looks it over for a moment before sliding it over to the person next to her. "Now, we just need to get out to this school tomorrow. I have a motorcycle that I ride, but the weather lately hasn't been too good for that. I can rent a car if need be, and we can then ride out together, unless someone else has a vehicle large enough for all of us."

Athos points his thumb over his shoulder in the direction of the parking lot. "I have a Hummer out back that will easily fit everyone, assuming that you wish to all carpool with me. It is a easy enough drive, and we can all use the time to get to know one another a bit more as we go."

Dawn nods. "That works for me. We should exchange phone numbers so we can get in touch. Where should we meet up for the drive tomorrow? Here? Is it a good spot?"

Ciarán
Ciarán envies his peers their lack of parental oversight - comparatively, at least - but it doesn't show on his face. He continues to smile, like a cat with a mouse in its paws.
He scribbles his number on a napkin and hands it to Johnny, "pass that around the table when you're done, sham," he says, and leans back in his seat again.
"Carpool is grand. Sure I wouldn't know me arse from a turnpike trying to drive over here."

Everyone trades contact information on your cell phones, and make arrangements to meet up in the morning to make the drive out to the private school to find this young Scion. At this point, Athos glances at his watch and says, "Well, its getting late. Let me say to the three of you that I am very appreciative of you coming out to meet with me tonight, and your willingness to help out in stopping the kidnappings. Thank you, not only for my sake, but for the kids. With any luck we'll be able to find them in good shape and bring them home to their parents again."

He then reaches into his coat once more and pulls out three stacks of cash. Setting one down in front of each of you, he says, "As I said, I don't expect that you do this for free. Here is five thousand dollars for each of you. It is the least I can do for you right now. I need to go, but you are all welcome to stay as long as you like, and order as much as you want. I have made arrangements with the staff to take care of you. In the meantime, I will see you tomorrow."

With a nod and a smile to all of you, Athos gets up and heads towards the door.

What do you do for the rest of the evening?
Sherwood Sherwood Grey Grey D. Rex D. Rex

Dawn looks over at Athos and says, "I'm not doing this for the money, but I must confess, it is an added plus to all of this. Thank you." She takes the pile of bills and slips it into her coat pocket with a smile. "Have a good evening, and I'll see you bright and early in the morning."

She lets the big Greek head out the door before making any other comments, then says to Johnny and Ciaran, "Well. This is . . . interesting. To say the least. Anyone get the vibe from our new friend that he's pulling our legs, or do you think he's on the up and up? I can say that I know of a bunch of kidnappings that the cops haven't been able to close out, so that much at least checks out." Dawn takes a swig from her drink, then says, "I just hope that the kids are ok. I can't even begin to imagine the pain that their families are in right now, and if there is even a chance I can help provide some closure to them, one way or another, I'll take it."

"I ain't doing it for the money either, but if you are going to insist, I ain't going to say no." Johnny said pocketing the money.

Once outside with the other two scions, "I don't know yet. I willing to give him the benefit of the doubt though. Especially if there is any chance we can do something to help those kids." Johnny said, zipping his jacket back up to counter the return to cold weather. His frown depended, he didnt want to have to think about kids getting hurt, or whatever some titan might want to do with them...

"Though I wish we didnt have to wait till tomorrow. I'd rather head out right now. With something like this I'd rather be way to early than on time or too late. Might even give us the chance to see if whoever is doing this had been there yet."

"Still, I am going to bring this up to the Salamander Sage. See if he knows anything about who might do this, or if he seen kidnappings like this before. He's old enough to have seen some things, and has had his fair share of adventures with our kind."

"You can come with me and meet him, if you want. It's not too far of a walk. And he might have some wisdom to help."

Ciarán
Ciarán pockets the cash with a nod. "Ah, would yeh not stay for another? No? G'wan," he patters, in traditional style, not remotely expecting Athos to remain for a few pints more. "Antio sas."*

Somewhere between the table and the door he finds time to knock back a shot of tequila and barely shivers as he buttons his jacket on the street.
"Can't beat the wisdom of elders, Johnny-boy, unless that wisdom is 'turn into a fountain of piss, women love that,'" Ciarán said, with a good humour like oil on water (which Dawn might have the right exes to consider a whole Soviet march of red flags). "Lead the way - but here, we stop for another drink somewhere tonight. Bad business to set out like this without sharing a jug."
He's clearly more serious about that.

*Our boy knows just enough words in a few languages to be polite, order a drink, insult a cop, and ask 'your place or mine?'

Dawn looks at Johnny and says, "I will come along with you, since you've offered. Any wisdom that can be given is more than what we have now. After that?" She gives Ciaran a smile, then says, "A hefty drink or two sure wouldn't hurt. Lets go."

Heading out, it is a dark night, but being New York's Manhattan Island, the city is well lit. Even at this hour, despite the winter cold, the sidewalks and streets are busy. The three of you make your way along the street until you get to the dojo. By now, the public part of the building is closed, but Johnny knows that Xi Dong has his apartment on the floor just above, and knows where to go.

After a quick knock on the door, the old man opens it up and looks out. "Ah, Johnny. You have brought guests to my door. Friends of yous?" He looks Dawn and Ciaran over with a curious eye, then steps back to allow you in. "Come in out of the cold and relax. I'll start a pot of tea."

Xi Dong's apartment is somewhat spartan, with a decidedly Asian slant in its decor. As you come in and start shaking off the cold, the old master is busying himself in the kitchen with a pot of water that he places on the stove to heat. While he does this, he calls out, "So, Johnny. Do these two guests have anything to do with the meeting you had earlier this evening?"

As they were walking there, Johnny explained some things. "Alright, Master Xi Dong is is very focused on respect and traditions." He wasnt. "So to get off on the right foot, you need to be sure to greet him properly when you see him. If you dont, you may very well get on his wrong side." Not true.

"When you see him, put your hands together like so, and give a bow, then say the greeting 我是白痴 (pronounced Woe she bye chi)" He said. Another thing completely untrue as it translated to I am an idiot.

An amateurish prank, but Papa Wukkng would approve.

"Master Xi Dong, sorry to bother you this late. This is Don and Korin. And yes, they are. We are hoping to pick your mind about the situation."

Dawn, not having the ability to speak Chinese and knowing how important tradition is to some, does as she is told with one slight correction, "It is not Don, but Dawn. Sounds close, but there is a bit of a difference. It is a pleasure to meet you, sir."

Ciarán
Ciarán bows and executes the 'greeting' as well as he can. Otherwise, he keeps quiet and listens, looking around the room with polite curiosity.
His inclination to trust Xi Dong is immediately improved by the brewing tea.

When Dawn and Ciaran both give the 'greeting', the old man pauses and gives Johnny a long look before saying, "Your pronunciation is terrible, but I still welcome you." He continues to busy himself in the kitchen, then a minute later, he comes out with a tray with a porcelain teapot with four cups. Setting the tray down, Xi Dong says in Chinese, "<Johnny, you make my head hurt. Serve the tea.>" He sits back and waits for his student to follow his instructions.

Dawn sits down in one of the available chairs, looking around the apartment with curiosity. She says, "I apologize for my bad accent, sir, but as you can tell, Chinese is not my forte." With a smile, she patiently waits for some sign to proceed with getting some tea. No sense in doing something wrong and offending this old man, is there?

While Johnny is busy preparing and serving the tea to everyone, Xi Dong sits and watches the Scions in his living room with a curious look. He takes a sip of his drink and gives a slight nod, indicating that his pupil has done well. Finally, the old man says, "So, what brings you here to my home at this time of night?" He looks to Johnny and says, "Does it have to do with the letter you told me about? What is the story there?"

Dawn glances over at Johnny, wondering if this Xi Dong fellow knows the truth about his father. Just in case he does not, she decides to play it safe. "Well, have you seen the news about the various kidnappings in the area over the past few months? This fellow we went to meet has reason to believe that they are all connected, and has a lead that the next child to be snatched up is currently at a private school upstate. We are going to leave here in the morning to go see what can be found out."

Xi Dong looks at Dawn, then over at Ciaran and says, "Yes, I have seen news reports about the missing children. Very disturbing. If they are all connected somehow, I don't know what to think about that. I have seen your articles in the paper, and it makes me wonder, are you planning on writing the villains to death, or are you going to be calling the police to deal with this?"

He then looks over at Johnny and says in Chinese, "<Are these two Godlings like you are? Is that why they are here?>"

D. Rex D. Rex Grey Grey Sherwood Sherwood

Johnny nodded. <Yes master, they are.> He answered.

He looked to the other scions. "Master Xi Dong is a friend of my father's, and knows our world well. You can speak freely around him."

Dawn lets out a snort, thinking, It is a valid question, all things considered. If I were not a Scion of Ogma, that is. Then, she hears from Johnny that Xi Dong knows about his divine nature, and is 'in the know' about the war between the Titans and the Gods. "Well, I am not quite sure what will happen when we run into the kidnappers, but considering that according to Athos, all the kids are like us but have not been visited by their true parent, I am thinking that the police will be seriously outclassed even if they were able to track down the perps."

She takes a deep breath, then says, "If my hunch is correct, it will be a nasty fight between us and the Ttitanspawn that have snatched the kids, and if that happens, I am confident that we'll be able to hold our own against the bad guys pretty well. I have a few gifts from my dad that will come in handy." Dawn pauses for a moment, then says, "Is there any wisdom that you can give us before we leave in the morning?"

Ciarán
Ciarán accepts the tea with a sincere smile and nod, sipping appreciatively. 'tis no Lyon's, but this is America.
He's tempted to butt in, but keeps his counsel and allows Dawn to handle the talking. He wonders by which aunt or uncle they're kin - not that he'd ever let that truly colour his opinion.
We are not our parent's children, if we don't want to be, he thinks, with a grim certainty.

The old man is quiet for a moment, sipping his tea, obviously deep in thought. Then, he finally speaks up. "I do not have any special answers for you, young lady, but I can offer up some advice. Don't assume you are invulnerable just because of what you are. Even Johnny here," he points to the man in question, "has flaws that a skilled enemy can exploit. That is the best that I can offer up to you without knowing more about the two of you and what you are capable of. Remember, the magic that grants you strength also powers your foes, and if your other god-friend is right and that there is a link between all these missing youngsters, your enemy has a head start on whatever it is that they are planning by nearly a year."

Xi Dong then sits back in his seat, taking another sip of his drink. "I do wish you luck, and good hunting, you three. Crimes against children are particularly heinous, and the punishment should fit the crime, don't you think?" He gives a wicked smile at that. "Do you have any other questions for me this evening? It is getting late, and I am no longer a young man. Besides, Dancing With the Stars is coming on soon, and I do not wish to miss it."

Dawn can feel the corners of her mouth twitch up at the mention of the show. To each their own. I would be lost without being able to watch my episodes of 48 Hours and Dateline. But I must confess, I was hoping for a little more useful. I guess it is all a part of the 'Chinese fortune cookie' thing he has going on.

With a polite nod, she says, "Thank you for the advice, Xi Dong. Trust me when I say that we will take all the precautions possible, and I will gladly dish out a full helping of righteous revenge upon the Titanspawn behind all of this." Dawn glances over at Ciaran and Johnny, then says, "Do either one of you have any other questions? I would hate to be responsible for our host missing his show."

"Hey, I'm not that weak." Johnny responded with a frown.

At Dawn's promoting he spoke up again. "I do actually. Have you known, in your time, of titans kidnapping young scions like this before? Or maybe an idea of what they would want with them."

"If all they were doing was just killing them, then they went pretty far to leave no trace behind."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back