Demigods and Titans - Scion IC Thread

New York City, Present Day. . .

It is roughly 4:00 in the afternoon; a chilly winter day in the Big Apple. There is a light dusting of snow coming down that the city snow plows are working to keep off of the roads. It is not a bad snowstorm, and the forecast is for clearing skies later on in the evening. But the temperature is still pretty low; well into the mid-teens, making it rather uncomfortable to be outside for any length of time. Lucky for you, you all are tucked safely inside where the heat is working overtime to keep everyone warm.

Sherwood Sherwood
At the offices of the New York Times, Dawn is typing away speedily on her computer as she writes her latest column when Jerry, one of the office interns in the mail room, comes along to your desk and gives you a letter. "Here ya go, Dawn. This just came in via courier for you. Looks like it might be important." He leaves the letter and continues weaving his way through the cubicles, dropping off other mail and packages to their rightful owners, idly whistling as he goes.

A quick examination of the exterior shows that this letter has no return address on it, but it is indeed addressed to you. The letter is a small envelope, with your name elegantly hand written on it in smooth, flowing script.

Grey Grey
Ciaran is currently in a local art gallery with a drink in your hand, attending a exhibition of works from a handful of up-and-coming artists, trying to make a few networking connections as you are looking for your place in the city. As you walk from display to display, you can see that these kids do show some measure of talent, and with the right nurturing sponsors helping them out, they could really make something of themselves in the art world.

While you are chatting up one of the women with deep pockets, you hear someone mention your name, and when you turn around to see who it is, there is a man in an expensive suit being pointed over towards you. He glances your direction and gives a polite nod of thanks to the person that pointed you out, and he casually makes his way over. He is immaculately groomed, with straight dark hair and neatly manicured fingernails, sporting a dark complexion that hints of a Mediterranean background.

With a slight smile, he asks, "Are you Ciarán Ó Cionnaoith? I am Athinathios Tsitsinakis, and I have been looking for you." He is able to correctly pronounce your name, adding some credence to the statement that he's been on the lookout for you.

D. Rex D. Rex
Johnny is currently at the dojo, working up a sweat under the watchful eye of your master, Xi Dong. He pauses your kata occasionally, making micro adjustments to the position of a foot or an arm, then having you start the move over again. Most of the time, even those little tweaks he makes to your form still manage to make a difference in your balance and posture.

As you finish your current set of exercises and are taking a quick drink from your water bottle, a teenager enters the dojo, all bundled up against the cold, and looks around with a picture in his hand, comparing it to various members of the studio. Once he spots you, he double checks the picture against your face and comes over to you. "Mr. Wu? I have a delivery for you." He opens up his coat and pulls out a letter and hands it over. With a nod, he turns to walk out, now that his mission to deliver the letter is complete.

Dawn is in the zone, her thoughts racing as she types. This story has been weeks in the works, and now it is nearly ready to go to print. She smiles to herself as she works, thinking that this might just be what it takes to get her that private office that she's been eyeing for a while now. It is when she is focused that Jerry comes walking up and throws her completely off her track. Normally, the interns know well enough to not bother her as she is mainlining expresso and working hard, so she glances up in a brief flash of irritation that is quickly quashed when she has the time to think about it.

Still, it will take some time to get back to her train of thought, so she is not completely free of her case of the grumps as she fires off a glare up at Jerry. "Urgh! You had better have a really important letter for me, Jer. I was this close to a Pulitzer, and now its all gone. Gone, I say! The world will never know the enlightenment that I could have provided them, all thanks to you." She grins, finally pulling herself away from being disgruntled at the young man. He's just doing his job, after all.

Dawn holds out her hand and takes the letter, now starting to wonder just what in it could be so important that it rates a special courier to bring it here. So, what mysteries do you hold for me? With that, she pulls out a letter opener and tears into the envelope.

Johnny was fine with the rather easy day today. No cryptic wisdoms. No obscure training techniques. No ungodly rituals of fortitude. A simple and relatively easy day. No doubt this was just a "day of rest" for some hell tomorrow, but he would enjoy it while it lasted.

When some guy came, he was a little confused about how someone had his picture. But it was probably just something from his mother. He was, however, a little disappointed that it was just a letter and not a box. Letters always tended to be pretty boring.

Johnny thanked the man, and found him self a bench to sit and open the letter, checking who it was from before inspecting the contents.

Ciarán
All this bourgeois politicking is tiresome, but artists have to eat. If Ciarán can get funding out if it, he'll bite his tongue and be polite - and with the right words in a just-exotic-enough accent, it's not that hard to fleece them out of their ill-gotten gains.
He excuses himself as the stranger approaches, and offers a hand to shake as Athinathios introduces himself.
"A pleasure, sure. Are ye one of my rare fans this side of the pond, or a journalist?" he asks with an easy charm, a joking lilt in his voice.

Sherwood Sherwood
Opening up the envelope, you can see that there is more finely hand-written script inside. It reads:

Childe of Ogma,

Please forgive the intrusion into your privacy, but I have been given few options on how to contact you and the others I am calling on. I was given your name through a mutual acquaintance, and I am in need of your help. Over the past year, several young children have been abducted in the Tri-State area. While this is never a good thing, what makes it even more troubling is the fact that most of them are Scions that have not yet had their divine heritage awakened. It is my fear that this is the work of Titanspawn, but to what end, I cannot say.

I am making contact with other Scions in the area, hoping to garner aid in stopping these kidnappings, and find the missing children alive and unharmed. If not, I hope to exact a fierce vengeance against the perpetrators of these crimes.

There is a pub called McMullan's located at the corner of [insert streets here] that I have reserved a private room in which to discuss this further, answer your any questions that I can, and hopefully introduce you to the other Scions that I am calling on. If you can meet me there this evening at seven pm, I will at the very least buy you dinner as a way of thanking you for your time, and if you decide to join in this effort, I will owe you a Favor of a sizable nature.

I hope to see you soon...

Athinathios Tsitsinakis, Scion of Zeus

A quick check of the time and the address shows you that you have plenty of time to get to the pub ahead of the meeting to be able to check it out. Its location is on Manhattan island, in a busy business district.

D. Rex D. Rex
Your open the envelope, and inside is a hand written letter on heavy parchment. It reads:

Childe of Sun Wukong,

Please forgive the intrusion into your privacy, but I have been given few options on how to contact you and the others I am calling on. I was given your name through a mutual acquaintance of your Father, and I am in need of your help. Over the past year, several young children have been abducted in the Tri-State area. While this is never a good thing, what makes it even more troubling is the fact that most of them are Scions that have not yet had their divine heritage awakened. It is my fear that this is the work of Titanspawn, but to what end, I cannot say.

I am making contact with other Scions in the area, hoping to garner aid in stopping these kidnappings, and find the missing children alive and unharmed. If not, I hope to exact a fierce vengeance against the perpetrators of these crimes.

There is a pub called McMullan's located at the corner of [insert streets here] that I have reserved a private room in which to discuss this further, answer your any questions that I can, and hopefully introduce you to the other Scions that I am calling on. If you can meet me there this evening at seven pm, I will at the very least buy you dinner as a way of thanking you for your time, and if you decide to join in this effort, I will owe you a Favor of a sizable nature.

I hope to see you soon...

Athinathios Tsitsinakis, Scion of Zeus

The location of the address is not far from where you are now, making it an easy, if somewhat cold, walk there if you so wanted.

Grey Grey
The dark skinned man shakes his head. "Neither, I'm afraid. Personally, I deal in the import/export business. But that is not what has brought me here to see you today. A friend of your Mother told me where to find you." He casually looks around the room, noting where people were standing, and says, "This is not the place to go into much detail; too many ears to hear what they shouldn't. But I am hoping to ask of your aid, along with a few other talented individuals, to help stop a terrible tragedy from happening. If you would agree to join me and the others, I will gladly answer your questions, and I will make it worth your while to come. At the very least, I can provide you with a fine meal, even if you decide against helping me."

He pulls out of his coat a card, and you can see that on one side is the business contact information for Tsitsinakis Mediterranean Imports. On the back is a hand written note of the pub's address. He says, "If you decide to come, be there at seven, and show the doorman this card. You'll be shown to the private room I have reserved, and we can speak freely then. I hope to see you there."

Dawn looks at the letter with a raised eyebrow. Someone knows about dad. My real dad, that is. I wonder who this mystery person is? From what I can see of the address, it is in the middle of a busy block. Not quite the location I would set up for an ambush, but if it is a trap, Titanspawn may not care about witnesses. She glances at her watch, doing some quick math in her head. I should be able to get there in plenty of time to do look around the area before going inside. She then turns to her computer to do a little research, first on the pub, then on this 'Athinathios Tsitsinakis' person.

Johnny mouthed the name at the end of the letter a couple times, trying to figure out how to pronounce it. He gave up. Though he did notice how the guy misspelled child. Or gal, couldnt tell from the name. Oh well.

The news itself was sad, he hated hearing about such things happening to children. And he was more than willing to do what he could to help.

Johnny got dressed, Jean's and a warm leather coat. The Jingu Bang(shrunk down to a foot and a half) he put into a telescopic cylinder storage tube
81hOF7IAEKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
and slung it over his shoulder before made his way to the door after explaining things to Master Dong. Gave him the letter and told him it was some business for the big Greek guy.

McMullans, he knew the place. He'd high tail it over there to see what was going on and what he could do to help. And, of course, he was curious about other Scions. But first priority was the children.

Sherwood Sherwood
Your research into the name on the letter comes up with a website for Tsitsinakis Mediterranean Imports, a shipping company that deals with mostly gourmet foods, catering to Greek restaurants in New York City and the surrounding tri-state area. It shows that the company has been in business since the early 1950's, and has been family owned and operated from day one. Athinathios is the current owner of the place, and has been running the import company at a profit for the past decade.

McMullins Pub is a Irish-themed establishment, and it has excellent ratings on its food and drinks, and every Tuesday night they have a pub trivia contest that is a big draw. The pub also has a banquet room, and they cater for private parties of all sizes. From everything you can tell, this place checks out as legit, having been operating in that location for the past twenty years.

In order for you to get any more details on either Athinathios or the pub, you'll need to give me an Int + Investigation roll.

Do you wish to try and confirm anything else listed in the letter?

D. Rex D. Rex
When Johnny goes to explain the reason he's leaving early to Master Dong, at first he seems skeptical, thinking that you are just trying to get out of your training. But when you show him the letter, his attitude changes drastically. He says, "I have seen in the news that there have been several children that have come up missing over the past several months. Sad thing, seeing that. Go, and if you need anything to help you with this, just let me know. It is truly a horrible thing to prey on children."

By the time you are cleaned up and dressed, it will get you to McMullan's Pub by six pm. The foot traffic on the street is moderately heavy, even in this weather, and the neighborhood is well maintained and clean, showing you that this is a good part of town. The pub sits on the corner, and from what you can see, it is busy but not packed.

Do you go in?

After resisting the urge to taunt the ST by subverting expectations, Johnny takes a good look at the place.

Well, it didnt look like there were that many early drinkers around. Fine by him, he wasn't here for a drink anyway. Rather than standing about in the cold, Johnny hurried on inside to find this person. Though, odds are, the guy was likely to approach him first, given he already knew what Johnny looked like and Johnny didnt have such a luxury.

Oh well, might as well order a pop while he was here, wait for some more scions to show up, and warm up.

Did the thought that this was a trap cross his mind? Absolutely. Crossed it like Johnny Knoxville flying past a street light down a San Francisco hill in a shopping cart. There one second, gone the next. So no, he wasnt too worried about any traps. If it was one, he'd just take it in stride.

Ciarán
"Ah, word from Mammy dearest is it?" he asks rhetorically, taking the card and looking it over disinterestedly. But after a moment that stretches until it seems he'll refuse, he smiles. "Sure, how can a starving artist say no to a free meal? I'll see you there."
Might as well see what I've to deal with this time.

He passes the rest of the afternoon on canapes, complimentary wine, and a brief encounter with a lovely graffiti artist from Queens, and arrives at the pub a few minutes late.
Taking one look at the place, he smirks, and spends a minute just taking it in with his hands on his hips. Someone's pure taking the piss now, he thinks.
It could be a trap, though he doubts it, somehow - there were easier ways than revealing oneself as a Scion. He'd give Athinathios the benefit of the doubt and hope the man treats hospitality with the appropriate seriousness.

He offers the doorman the card with a grin.

Dawn checks her watch, and sees that if she is going to stake out the place before this meeting, she'd better leave now. Heading downstairs, she hails a cab to take her to her destination. Once there, Dawn heads inside, hoping that whatever meeting that is about to take place is in one of the private rooms so she can ask several pointed questions to this child of Zeus.

Being the closest to the pub, Johnny is the first to arrive. There is a hostess at the front, and she asks you if you are interested in a table or to go to the bar. When you tell her about your meeting, she says, "Oh, you must be here to meet Mr. Tsitsinakis in the back. Come with me, please." She guides you through the busy pub, past multiple tables of people having a good time, until she comes to a door in the back of the place. "Here you go, sir! Your server will be along in a moment to take your order. Enjoy!"

Inside the room, it is much quieter than the main floor of the pub. The room is set up with two tables with seating enough for six each, and at one of the tables is a handsome gentleman in an expensive suit with a dark complexion. He is seated facing you, and as you come in, he smiles and stands up to offer you his hand in greeting. As he does so, you get the distinct whiff of olives baking in the sun, and the very strong feeling that he's a fellow Scion.

"Mr. Wu! I am so glad to see that you have accepted my invitation. Please, have a seat and relax. I am Athinathios. Order what you'd like off the menu. I can personally recommend the Shepherd Pie. One of my favorites here, but by all means, get what you'd like."

At this point, it is when Dawn and Ciaran arrive, right on each other's heels. The hostess gives you each a smile as she leads you through the pub to the back room where you see two men already there. Ciaran recognizes Athinathios, but the other fellow here is new to you. Athinathios once more rises up to greet you both, and as he offers up his hand, you also get the vibe that these men are both Scions, with the smell of hot olives from the swarthy Greek and ink and old paper from the Asian man. In Johnny's case, the two coming in the room both have the aroma of fresh grass and clover.

Athinathios says, "Ms. Kelly, Mr. O Cionnaoith. Thank you for coming. I'm sure you all have a million questions for me, and I promise to do my best to answer them to your satisfaction. But first, let us get something to tide us over. Don't worry about the bill. I'll take care of all of it."

Dawn shakes the man's hand and offers up a polite smile to him. "Thank you for your courtesy, my good sir. I hesitate to try and pronounce your name; it looks to be quite the mouthful!" She gives goes ahead and takes a seat, being careful to leave access to her sword if anything goes wrong. "Lets get some of this delicious-smelling food, then we can go over the many questions I have rattling around in my head right now."

OOC Does Athinathios have any weapons or armor on? Should I make a Perception + Awareness roll for that?

Your keen eye does spot that there is something inside his coat at chest level. It could be a weapon, or just a large cell phone tucked into a breast pocket. Who knows?

Johnny shook the mans hand with the vigor of meeting an old friend. "Of course, with what you said, I am all to happy help." He said before relinquishing the mans hand.

As suggested he sat down, and was at this point already convinced of what to eat. Two others entered, scions no doubt. Probably others called for just such a thing as he was. He wondered how many more would show up.

Johnny was pretty relaxed in his seat. Open to the situation as a whole. Jingu Bang was on his back, after all. Could wield it in a flash if need be. Not to mention his hands were registered as deadly weapons coupled with the reflexes of a cat and speed of a mongoose. Not that he was considering anything other than the matter at hand. And food.

"I'll think I'll go with the Shepherds Pie, like you said. And coke or Pepsi." He stated to the hostess.

He looked at the man whose name I can't even type. "How many of us are you expecting?" He asked. "Oh, and don't suppose you got a nickname? I kind of am falling into the same boat as her." Johhny said, pointing a thumb at the woman.

Ciarán

"Very generous, Mr. Tsitsinakis," he says, without missing a beat or tripping on a syllable, "pity they can't pull a pint of Guinness for shite but I'm sure the stew is grand."
Shrugging off his leather jacket to reveal a band t-shirt emblazoned with near-illegible text (Neckbeard Deathcamp, possibly), Ciarán makes himself very much at home, sprawling in his seat.
He skims the menu, grins brightly at the hostess, and spends a minute grilling her on the contents of their kegs - and is visibly delighted to discover they've got Chieftain on tap. "...And the stew please, love," he winks at her, before finally turning back to the table.
"Ciarán is fine, by the way," he says, carefully extending the pronunciation for clarity - keer-raan.

He has questions, but let the others get it out of their systems. Poor manners to talk business during the meal, anyway.
"'tis fierce cold out," he says in a friendly tone. A silver stud in the shape of a crow glints from his left ear.

Athinathios grins and lets out a small chuckle. "You can call me Athos, since you are not the only people to have difficulty with pronouncing my name. Now, lets enjoy our meal, and I can go into detail as to why I asked you here. Especially since Ciaran hasn't heard the reason why I contacted him; it was just too crowded in the gallery and I was afraid that our conversation would be overheard."

He sits back as the waitress comes in with plates of food and sets them down in front of you. It is indeed quite good, and everyone is able to enjoy their meal. Once the plates are cleared away, Athos says, "Lets get started, shall we? As I said in my letters to the two of you, about a year ago, there have been a rash of kidnappings. I learned just a few months ago that most of the missing children were Scions from a variety of Pantheons, and I was asked by my father to look into it. From what I was able to learn, over the past year, twelve Scions that have not been visited by their divine parent. No bodies have been found, so there is at least a chance that they are still alive. I am now determined to find these kids and bring some much needed justice to the kidnappers."

"I was able to get your contact information from my father. Apparently, our parents are also quite concerned and they have been talking to one another." He pauses to take a drink from his beverage, then says, "I have also learned that there is another child that is in danger nearby, and I hope to be able to get to her before she is taken."

Athos then says, "I know that I'm asking a lot of you, and I can make it worth your while. If you do help me, I'll pay each of you fifty thousand dollars, and I'll also owe you all a sizable favor. Will you help me?"

Ciarán
Ciarán drains his glass and sets it heavily on the table, just shy of slamming it down.
"I'm in," he says, with a savage gleam in his eyes. "Why're we still sitting here if there's already a life at stake, hah?"

So Papa Wukong was in talks with Zues? Johnny was vaguely amused of how that interaction went down. He was well aware of how abrasive his father could be to the more serious seeming gods. He didnt know all that much about Zeus though, so the god might be good natured enough to find the monkey king amusing. Though that some of the gods were paying attention to this might mean they suspected some meaner things at play.

Pushing his plate aside, Johnny stood up and popped his neck. "Scion or not, I dont need no money to help a kid in danger. Not if there is anything I can do about it."

"Like Kuririn here says, let's get on it. If this kids in danger, the sooner the better."

Dawn nods. "Me, too. What info do you have on the one child you are aware of in the area? Where is she located, who's her parent, stuff like that."

"And what was the clue that lead you to believe that it was this child in danger and about to get taken? Found a hint at who is behind it?" Johnny added.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back