• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Delicious Friend | Fallen London/Echo Bazaar

0stinato

In Bhaal's name.
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
"The Bazaar stole London three decades ago. Of course only anarchists and revolutionaries say 'stole' any more. Everyone who matters has grown to know and love the status quo. It's quiet down here. All those jewels and mushrooms and all that black water. What could be better?"

hvwo0hU.png

Ah, indeed, who knows what COULD be better? May you sit and sip your mushroom plonk at Caligula's with the other half-asleep patrons. Or perhaps you wander the dark Wolfstack docks quietly while the crackling of unwatched fire accompanies your light footsteps. Then again, maybe these backdrops aren't quite your desired environments... but unless you indulge in your own splendid honey-dreams or cross your dancing feet between the colonies, you're here to stay. This is the Neath, this is how it is down here.

But don't despair, there's plenty to do. You can write your own novels to be traded for your name whispered or shouted on street corners during public readings. Or unchain art for a friend and wait until she repays you for your time and sacrifice in private. Maybe the night is right for visiting the Carnival where things you've only ever seen in dreams or lust come to life in front of you. Just be sure to give the moist grey skin of a huge man beside you enough room to move should he need to.

Slip on your newly-pressed shirt, brush off every cat hair and let its secrets go with it, do up the cufflinks and bring the brim of your chosen headwear down low over your dark eyes. Debate whether the chill of tonight is enough for a coat, or if your back can take a good breeze. Lock your front door and give the hardened face of the constable outside a polite nod, as she stands static on the pavement. Will she nod back, or will her eyes narrow further? Tug the brim of your hat down again. This is the Neath.

We don't need to know your name to know what you are.

Fallen London is a free-to-play browser game of epic proportions. The reason this check is in Fantasy and not Fandom is because only the setting of the Neath will be used, and no storyline from the game itself. Therefore, if you know the game inside out, very slightly or not at all, you should be able to have fun regardless. If you wish to know more, here are two websites to help you out:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/FallenLondon

http://thefifthcity.wikia.com/wiki/The_Fifth_City:_the_Neath's_Lore_Wiki

So, delicious friend... pull up your stockings and join us on the docks. We're waiting.

Attachments

• FL Banner.png
    FL Banner.png
    456 KB · Views: 3
Blemmigan Blemmigan and Damafaud Damafaud you showed interest previously, and Mr_DC Mr_DC has a gap in his schedule apparently so he's agreed to start the ride up again. Are you still interested? If not, that's okay. If you are, great!

If anyone has any questions, by all means, speak them. Shout them into the wind, we'll be listening.

Alright, I'm going to be honest and say that I've been poking around the browser game and while it is intriguing, I keep running out of action points much too quickly. But seeing as I do want to learn about the setting and such, if you'd be willing to put up with someone new to the overall lore I'd be glad to give it a shot.

Alright, I'm going to be honest and say that I've been poking around the browser game and while it is intriguing, I keep running out of action points much too quickly. But seeing as I do want to learn about the setting and such, if you'd be willing to put up with someone new to the overall lore I'd be glad to give it a shot.

I know the pain of the action points... I know it all too well...

And yes, it's understandable that players might not know too much about the lore. As a matter of fact, I'm not the most well-read on the lore either... but don't worry. As it says, we'll mainly be using the setting and not too much, if any, actual plot points of the game. So really, even just wanting to know more about the setting is great!

You're in capable hands though. The plot is related to the game, but only in terms of context and style. As for lore, what's a roleplay for if not to learn in a different way? I'm really glad to see your interest, and hopefully it'll be up and running pretty soon.

I know the pain of the action points... I know it all too well...

And yes, it's understandable that players might not know too much about the lore. As a matter of fact, I'm not the most well-read on the lore either... but don't worry. As it says, we'll mainly be using the setting and not too much, if any, actual plot points of the game. So really, even just wanting to know more about the setting is great!

You're in capable hands though. The plot is related to the game, but only in terms of context and style. As for lore, what's a roleplay for if not to learn in a different way? I'm really glad to see your interest, and hopefully it'll be up and running pretty soon.
Lovely, can't wait! ^^

Glad to see we have an interested party already. And one who is a fancy ass wolf at that.
Also, 0stinato 0stinato , can't believe you didn't put "Rats" as a tag.
Mhm, and my interest grows as I keep checking Fallen London to see if my action points have refreshed yet. X3

Thankfully I'm broke or I would've thrown so much money at the screen to buy fate... xD

Seems interesting enough though never played the browser game before it I've been playing for the last five minutes and it's pretty fun

Seems interesting enough though never played the browser game before it I've been playing for the last five minutes and it's pretty fun

Hey, Kenji! Great to see you. As with Stonewolf above, if you needed lore or anything explained, we can do that for you. Was my description of the game really that enthralling? I'm impressed with myself.

Hey, Kenji! Great to see you. As with Stonewolf above, if you needed lore or anything explained, we can do that for you. Was my description of the game really that enthralling? I'm impressed with myself.
Actually, I stumbled upon this interest check after ironically wandering into a play through of Sunless Sea on YouTube after playing a round of Fallen London. X3

As lore wise goes, I'm slowly learning. By slowly I mean painfully so but I'm getting there. But I'll be sure to ask questions if I need it! ^^

Actually, I stumbled upon this interest check after ironically wandering into a play through of Sunless Sea on YouTube after playing a round of Fallen London. X3

As lore wise goes, I'm slowly learning. By slowly I mean painfully so but I'm getting there. But I'll be sure to ask questions if I need it! ^^

That seems like suspiciously good timing...

One of the intentions for the roleplay is that anyone should be able to play. Treat the world as any other story universe. Whether you know nothing or everything, you should have fun. But anything you need along the way, just ask. I've done my fair share of asking over the months I've been playing. It's only fair I take a turn answering!

I've never played the game either but it sounds interesting! I read up more on the setting later, but do you already have a general plot in mind or are you still brainstorming? Also, what kind of characters would we be playing?

I've never played the game either but it sounds interesting! I read up more on the setting later, but do you already have a general plot in mind or are you still brainstorming? Also, what kind of characters would we be playing?

There is indeed a plot, and it relies very very loosely on any mechanics or lore of Fallen London, so there's no need for you to feel like you're out of your depth. However, like any good roleplay, sub-plots and sidelining will certainly be allowed, and are probably inevitable. Hopefully, if any sub-plots do happen, we'll find a way to tie them nicely back into the main story.

I think the only things we're discussing at the moment is mechanics. There are loads of interesting bits and pieces in the game that rely on mechanics, so we're hoping we'll be able to bring those interesting things into the roleplay naturally, without relying on strange mechanics ourselves. However, there are lots of ways things could be done to keep the roleplay simple, so don't worry about them.

As for who you'll be playing, you're most likely going to be a human, a Newcomer to the Neath. Who you become, or what you become, is yet to be discovered. Of course, there are other roles you could play, though they would have to fit in with the context, setting and lore of course. If you have an idea, feel free to PM me and we can discuss it. But yes, characters will most likely be human, or at least were human at some point. You'll have an occupation, connections, lodgings... essentially the things you'd have in any other roleplay. Only in this one, things are a bit more interesting.

If you start as a Newcomer, hopefully you'll discover more about the setting as your character does. After all, what's a good narrative if not to be lived?

There is indeed a plot, and it relies very very loosely on any mechanics or lore of Fallen London, so there's no need for you to feel like you're out of your depth. However, like any good roleplay, sub-plots and sidelining will certainly be allowed, and are probably inevitable. Hopefully, if any sub-plots do happen, we'll find a way to tie them nicely back into the main story.

I think the only things we're discussing at the moment is mechanics. There are loads of interesting bits and pieces in the game that rely on mechanics, so we're hoping we'll be able to bring those interesting things into the roleplay naturally, without relying on strange mechanics ourselves. However, there are lots of ways things could be done to keep the roleplay simple, so don't worry about them.

As for who you'll be playing, you're most likely going to be a human, a Newcomer to the Neath. Who you become, or what you become, is yet to be discovered. Of course, there are other roles you could play, though they would have to fit in with the context, setting and lore of course. If you have an idea, feel free to PM me and we can discuss it. But yes, characters will most likely be human, or at least were human at some point. You'll have an occupation, connections, lodgings... essentially the things you'd have in any other roleplay. Only in this one, things are a bit more interesting.

If you start as a Newcomer, hopefully you'll discover more about the setting as your character does. After all, what's a good narrative if not to be lived?
Wow this sounds really exciting! I think I have a much better grasp on the type of game now haha, although now I'm wondering how much I should read about the game/lore Bc it might be fun to come into this knowing just as little as my character

Wow this sounds really exciting! I think I have a much better grasp on the type of game now haha, although now I'm wondering how much I should read about the game/lore Bc it might be fun to come into this knowing just as little as my character

Hah, that's the spirit. I myself have never looked into the game or lore externally from playing the actual game. I've talked about it and been told a fair bit by DC because he knows vastly more than I do, but it certainly is the kind of game where 'taking it as it comes' is certainly how you enjoy it most.

That being said, we'll definitely try to not leave any player in the dark regarding some things. We'd not mention the cats of the Neath and expect you to know what they do, for example. And if you did have questions about anything we might mention, go ahead and ask them. I like answering questions.

Who you become, or what you become, is yet to be discovered.
Just don't look into the mirrors... the red and gold.... 0-0

Jokes aside, I was already hoping that we would be able to play those new to London and the Neth in general to make up for lack of knowledge. So very excited for this, can't wait to start! ^^

Hah, that's the spirit. I myself have never looked into the game or lore externally from playing the actual game. I've talked about it and been told a fair bit by DC because he knows vastly more than I do, but it certainly is the kind of game where 'taking it as it comes' is certainly how you enjoy it most.

That being said, we'll definitely try to not leave any player in the dark regarding some things. We'd not mention the cats of the Neath and expect you to know what they do, for example. And if you did have questions about anything we might mention, go ahead and ask them. I like answering questions.
Awesome I can already tell this is going to be fun based on the GM and players, even if I know nothing about this game!

Could you give me a brief overview about the setting/game in general?

Awesome I can already tell this is going to be fun based on the GM and players, even if I know nothing about this game!

Here you can play as it's free and based in your browser. I do recommend it as it'll help clear up a little confusion while also provoking a generous amount of more. X3

One could look upon Fallen London as a text-based RPG. As such, it'll probably translate well into a roleplay. It's written in a very specific style: second person, with a writing style that combines the antiquated prose of 1890s England and dry but playful wit. The overall feel is relatively dark, however, both setting-wise and story-wise. I know some of us at the moment know this, so I won't assume it's to remain hidden, but if you die in the Neath, it's not the end. You an come back. Unless you die in an extremely horrific way, you'll come back. I've heard of a few things DC had to do while he was dead, and it gets very macabre.

And it's probably good to explain the setting. I think we'll make a little extra page with brief descriptions of different places in the Neath, but there are a few main ones that you'll probably visit.
Veilgarden, (Persuasive) a place for the sharp-tongued and dry-throated, where games between pub patrons are as simple as reading or as deadly as shooting.
Spite, (Shadowy) a place for the dark and quick, where you do best to keep your hands in your pockets or risk someone else's sneaking in.
Watchmaker's Hill, (Dangerous) you should venture there if you're looking to get physical. You can pay to fight, or get paid to kill.
Ladybones Road, (Watchful) if your eyes are as quick as your wit, you'll fit in well there. An aspiring detective or one with the ear for secrets may have their fun there.
Wolfstack Docks, if rioting, spider fights and salty zee air make you smile, definitely wander down there. You may get your hands dirty, but the zailors are no stranger to that.
Mrs Plenty's Carnival, a place to let off steam and enjoy yourself, should you be willing to buy (or steal) a few tickets.
The Bazaar, the place that is both famous and infamous, the bazaar is the essence and heart of the city. Buy, sell, barter and trade, all under the careful and watchful eye of the Bazaar. Some refer to the Bazaar as a female, though some refer to her as male. She takes no offence to either. Or does she?

There are a multitude of other places (places you can go if you get your stats high enough) but as we're probably not going to be incorporating stats in any huge way, I'd not worry about it. Of course, if you did want to go to the Forgotten Quarter, the Flit, the Shuttered Palace, or any of the other noteworthy locations, I'd be happy to explain them to you. I'm aware I've given you quite a bit of setting information though, and I'd not want to overload you.

Fallen London uses currency called Echoes (hence the previous name of Echo Bazaar) which are basically just pounds. But there are other things you can use as currency too. Practically anything can be exchanged for goods and services, but the main ones are echoes (in general), jade, glim, moon-pearls and rostygold (usually paid to you if you kill something) among others. However, you might get 'paid' in other ways. Do a favour for the right person and he might reward you with yet another bat. Again, this'd probably be ironed out behind the scenes, so that, if your character does acquire currency, it's not just something you're not sure what to do with. Rostygold is usually paid to you if you kill something, and moon-pearls are common in Spite, so I doubt it'd take long to sort that out.

In terms of character-creation, be aware that the setting is indeed a slightly fantastical version of 1890. Top hats, petticoats, canes and shoes shone to reflect the streetlamps are commonplace. Also be aware of what your character will be best at. If they want to be good at something Dangerous, perhaps their visage could be accompanied by scars, and they carry a hidden blade on them at all times. Or maybe you are Watchful, so perhaps having a pair of eyeglasses that aid your long-distance vision might be a good plan. I'd hope, if this sort of thing was incorporated, that it wouldn't be too difficult to use without mechanics. Our strongest weapon in roleplay is prose, so if you were Dangerous, knowing a few techniques in hand-to-hand combat in general might be a good idea, and etc. Again, we'll discuss this behind the scenes.

I'm really glad you and StoneWolf18 StoneWolf18 are looking forward to it, as well as all the others we've got here. It's an idea that has been on DC's mind a long time, so hopefully we can make this a success. I'm interested to see what kind of characters will appear.

Here you can play as it's free and based in your browser. I do recommend it as it'll help clear up a little confusion while also provoking a generous amount of more. X3
Will do! I'll get to that sometime this weekend

One could look upon Fallen London as a text-based RPG. As such, it'll probably translate well into a roleplay. It's written in a very specific style: second person, with a writing style that combines the antiquated prose of 1890s England and dry but playful wit. The overall feel is relatively dark, however, both setting-wise and story-wise. I know some of us at the moment know this, so I won't assume it's to remain hidden, but if you die in the Neath, it's not the end. You an come back. Unless you die in an extremely horrific way, you'll come back. I've heard of a few things DC had to do while he was dead, and it gets very macabre.

And it's probably good to explain the setting. I think we'll make a little extra page with brief descriptions of different places in the Neath, but there are a few main ones that you'll probably visit.
Veilgarden, (Persuasive) a place for the sharp-tongued and dry-throated, where games between pub patrons are as simple as reading or as deadly as shooting.
Spite, (Shadowy) a place for the dark and quick, where you do best to keep your hands in your pockets or risk someone else's sneaking in.
Watchmaker's Hill, (Dangerous) you should venture there if you're looking to get physical. You can pay to fight, or get paid to kill.
Ladybones Road, (Watchful) if your eyes are as quick as your wit, you'll fit in well there. An aspiring detective or one with the ear for secrets may have their fun there.
Wolfstack Docks, if rioting, spider fights and salty zee air make you smile, definitely wander down there. You may get your hands dirty, but the zailors are no stranger to that.
Mrs Plenty's Carnival, a place to let off steam and enjoy yourself, should you be willing to buy (or steal) a few tickets.
The Bazaar, the place that is both famous and infamous, the bazaar is the essence and heart of the city. Buy, sell, barter and trade, all under the careful and watchful eye of the Bazaar. Some refer to the Bazaar as a female, though some refer to her as male. She takes no offence to either. Or does she?

There are a multitude of other places (places you can go if you get your stats high enough) but as we're probably not going to be incorporating stats in any huge way, I'd not worry about it. Of course, if you did want to go to the Forgotten Quarter, the Flit, the Shuttered Palace, or any of the other noteworthy locations, I'd be happy to explain them to you. I'm aware I've given you quite a bit of setting information though, and I'd not want to overload you.

Fallen London uses currency called Echoes (hence the previous name of Echo Bazaar) which are basically just pounds. But there are other things you can use as currency too. Practically anything can be exchanged for goods and services, but the main ones are echoes (in general), jade, glim, moon-pearls and rostygold (usually paid to you if you kill something) among others. However, you might get 'paid' in other ways. Do a favour for the right person and he might reward you with yet another bat. Again, this'd probably be ironed out behind the scenes, so that, if your character does acquire currency, it's not just something you're not sure what to do with. Rostygold is usually paid to you if you kill something, and moon-pearls are common in Spite, so I doubt it'd take long to sort that out.

In terms of character-creation, be aware that the setting is indeed a slightly fantastical version of 1890. Top hats, petticoats, canes and shoes shone to reflect the streetlamps are commonplace. Also be aware of what your character will be best at. If they want to be good at something Dangerous, perhaps their visage could be accompanied by scars, and they carry a hidden blade on them at all times. Or maybe you are Watchful, so perhaps having a pair of eyeglasses that aid your long-distance vision might be a good plan. I'd hope, if this sort of thing was incorporated, that it wouldn't be too difficult to use without mechanics. Our strongest weapon in roleplay is prose, so if you were Dangerous, knowing a few techniques in hand-to-hand combat in general might be a good idea, and etc. Again, we'll discuss this behind the scenes.

I'm really glad you and StoneWolf18 StoneWolf18 are looking forward to it, as well as all the others we've got here. It's an idea that has been on DC's mind a long time, so hopefully we can make this a success. I'm interested to see what kind of characters will appear.
Wow the setting sounds really rich and creative! Thank you for this comprehensive, brief overview ahaha

StoneWolf18 StoneWolf18 Kenji Jensai Kenji Jensai Semblance Semblance HarleyQuip HarleyQuip

So we're thinking that a live chat might be a great way of keeping in touch and chatting about the roleplay and things, so where would people like that to be held? Probably just a text-chat, unless the mood strikes us that we want to hear each others' beautiful voices.

So what's everyone's preference on where? We could do Discord, or we could just do a simple little free chat room. Tell me what you'd like to do personally, when you can. In the meanwhile, the roleplay will be up shortly, with all the necessary information and pages.

Also, Devious Dilbert Devious Dilbert are you coming along?

StoneWolf18 StoneWolf18 Kenji Jensai Kenji Jensai Semblance Semblance HarleyQuip HarleyQuip

So we're thinking that a live chat might be a great way of keeping in touch and chatting about the roleplay and things, so where would people like that to be held? Probably just a text-chat, unless the mood strikes us that we want to hear each others' beautiful voices.

So what's everyone's preference on where? We could do Discord, or we could just do a simple little free chat room. Tell me what you'd like to do personally, when you can. In the meanwhile, the roleplay will be up shortly, with all the necessary information and pages.

Also, Devious Dilbert Devious Dilbert are you coming along?
Discord sounds good! I'd be glad to keep the hype goin' there. ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back