delete

And if you're an old school roleplayer what are things we stopped doing that were great from the good old days?
We stopped having free time. :closedeyescryingfrown: Having free time to roleplay was great.

Seriously though, I don't think anything changed much hobby-wise. Maybe just in form. Chatrooms were replaced by discord servers, forums were always there, blogs replaced by tumblr and twitter roleplays.

And those elements that you listed and that are common in the threads - well, they're common for a reason. They're all there to help us find potential rp partners that would have similar interests and approach. I feel like whenever someone asks "Hey, what can I improve in my search thread?" the advice they get pretty much include the things you listed.

The reason none of that works sometimes it's because... if I don't want to roleplay Fandom X or Plot Y I will not reply to a thread no matter how awesome it is written.

And those elements that you listed and that are common in the threads - well, they're common for a reason. They're all there to help us find potential rp partners that would have similar interests and approach. I feel like whenever someone asks "Hey, what can I improve in my search thread?" the advice they get pretty much include the things you listed.

I know that is why I said my threads contain the same information now as 20 years ago. But the glitch or problem of not being able to find a compatible partner still remains, it's so common you can see people say it all over RPN. So what then are we missing from our threads, what aren't we doing, or what are we doing that is possibly causing it and how or what do we change? What theories and ideas can we come up with?

Last edited:
My opinion is that no matter what you do, it will still come down to personality and 'in the moment' preferences of a person reading the thread. And all of that needs to align.
That's something you can't control.
So I don't believe there is a universal 'recipe' we can cook up that will help everyone.

The only real compatibility gauge is actually roleplaying with the person. And no thread can help to judge that to full extent. People just need to be willing to take risks.

Not being excessively verbose. This is a personal struggle of mine. I get very detailed in what my requirements are and such.

How about everyone puts their star sign and MBTI type and you judge it by compatibility?

But in seriousness - all these search threads can do is weed out the people you definitely don't want to RP with. They can never match you exactly. It's like online dating. You still have to go on the date to see if there's chemistry.

It's been a little thought experiment of mine to wonder if it would be possible to build an "OK Cupid" style dating site for 1x1 Roleplayers. Is there a way that if you asked the right questions, you would be able to find those ultimately compatible partners? The ones with shared interests and values and everything else? If anyone wants to develop this project be my guest but I want some kind of co-executive producer role. XD

In the old days it was like "Oh let me wander around these chat rooms until I find someone who seems cool and start to RP with them" which is more intuitive than interest checks but also more random. I'm not sure it was a better way of finding partners tbh.

So the thing to keep in mind is there is no universal roleplay experience. Which is why you can never find that one specific trick that works for everyone.

Firstly ask yourself why do my role plays actual fail?
In my case it is because my partners get busy IRL. So unless I specifically put in my thread “You must have no life and be available 24/7” (which would make me a hippocrite because I work myself) than there isn’t really anything in the 1x1 search thread that is going to make my role plays last longer or help me find more compatible partners.

Secondly ask yourself what keeps you invested in the roleplay?
In my case all my longest role plays share one thing in common. Me and my partner could talk OOC. We basically became friends. And again that’s not really something you can screen for without actually talking to someone. You can see shared interests in the thread but that doesn’t necessarily mean anything. I know a lot of people with shared interests that don’t like me or vice versa. So it comes down to just getting to know the person and going from there.

And since that’s the part that shows me compatibility I wouldn’t want to remove it via some special phrase in the search thread anyway.

Now those are just my own personal preferences. But I think the answer to the two questions is going to help in the long run a lot more than trying to find a universal answer that fits everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back