• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Defend or Destroy the Earth? Maybe both? X-com Nation RP!

Beckoncall

World-Weaver and servant to the most-holy PC
Supporter
This thread is an interest check in the two below concepts -- Players leading an unprepared earth facing an escalating alien invasion, or Players leading an escalating alien invasion on an unprepared earth.
The concept seeds are below but it basically boils down to whether people want to play the good guys or the bad guys, or I try to be super ambitious and let people play either and combine them.

Alien Conquest -- This is a game where players are all Warlord conquerors enslaved to the evil mother brain. A new world lies before the seed-ship that carries all the alien invaders and their forces, but raw materials and resources must be gathered to awaken more than a handful of troops and weapons -- at least to start. Players could cooperate and compete to conquer the most of planet(s) as covert to increasingly direct invasion forces. Will you conquer worlds for the mother brain? Will you cast off your chains of bondage and become a free race once again? How many worlds will you conquer?

X-com -- (Extraterrestrial combat/communication) -- This game is basically a reverse alien conquest. Players are top secret, mysteriously funded organizations tasked with one thing -- discover the increasing influence and interference of alien UFOs, make contact (for good or ill) and engage the aliens as necessary, and most of all gain alien technology to better serve your kind and enable you to stand against extra-terrestrial threats. Players could be all factions of a single world-funded organization or individual national or private projects to unravel the mystery of the aliens, and presuming they are not goodwilled, overcome them...

So I'm putting my interest check out there -- let me know if you'd be interested in being an alien invader or a extra-terrestrial combat organization?

I'll elaborate on mechanics and details as a basic concept forms, but here are teasers for the respective games:

X-Com Extraterrestrial defense: Each player designs their own defense force and picks a couple of cutting edge technologies to distinguish them, and public and private objectives for their organizations. Organizations may often work together and against one another for the best discoveries/control of alien tech... but will human ambition and division cost the earth it's freedom?

Name of Organization?

Level of Secrecy -- is it an open secret like area 51, belonging to a national governement? Is it a shadowy corporation? Is it a secret society that has been prepping for an invasion for ages? What level of popular support do you have? What resources do you have access to? Public funding? Private riches? Illicit or clandestine funding through black markets or world governments at large?

Starting Tech Perks -- One or two selected techs that are cutting edge for the current era. Does your organization have robotics (and what are the robots good at)? First Generation Laser Weaponry? Superior Aircraft? Better soldier/agent training programs? Psi-Development? Ground support vehicles? Healing protonanotech?

Once the organizations were formed they would place their initial base(s) on an earth world map and point their radars at the sky, and follow rumors and sightings in the hopes of confronting the alien menace before it grows out of hand/too late to stop...

Alien Conquest : Same as above, but for the bad guys:

Overlord: This is You/Your leader. What do they look like? What motivates them? What is their personality, how do they feel about other overlords?

Relationship to the mother brain: The Sleeper ship, and all overlords, answer to a unifying force -- the evil mother brain. Is your faction free-thinking with their own interests? Do they do the bidding of the mother brain without question? Do they secretly harbor dreams of freedom or rebellion? Are they mindless conquerors in service to her? Factions with better relations with the mother brain may receive bonuses during faction construction.

What alien race(s) do you lead in your journey for conquest? Animalistic beasts? Elite soldiers? Robots? what do they look like and what motivates them? You can design your own race(s) or the GM (Me) can work with you to create some from pre-fab templates. What is your faction like? What is their history? (conquered like so many other planets, freely serve the mother brain for whatever reason, are purely constructs, etc.)

Starting Resources: The basic starting resources are 20 Biomass, 10 Resources, 10 Energy, 2 fighters, and a scout ship. More resources will need to be acquired to increase your forces, technology, fleet, and scale of invasion. Depending on your faction concept you may have more or less of certain resources and depend on some more than others.

The Sleeper ship has only so much resources and has expended most of it's power simply traveling to earth -- Can you take what little resources are out of cold-storage and lead your handful of aliens towards becoming a true planetary invasion force capable of conquering the planet?

More details to come, but checking to see interest "so-far" first. If interest (or even diversity) of interested players is limited here I may move the interest check to group RPs instead, but I think this game is going to be detailed, heavy, with mostly behind the scenes mechanics and gamified elements... so I wanted to propose it first as a nation builder.

Mechanically I think there will be 1-3 alien operations a week, with planetary defense players attempting to secure positive outcomes from thwarting/facing these operations. Every week players get resources to spend and opportunities to develop new terrestrial techs, trade existing tech, or develop new tech. The aliens based on operation success would grow their invasion forces, unlock more powerful armaments and ships, and attempt to work together or versus one another to conquer the earth as opposed to saving it.

Thanks for Reading! Thanks to everyone who's already enjoyed one of my RPs and here's hoping to making new friends as well!

-Beck

This thread is an interest check in the two below concepts -- Players leading an unprepared earth facing an escalating alien invasion, or Players leading an escalating alien invasion on an unprepared earth.
The concept seeds are below but it basically boils down to whether people want to play the good guys or the bad guys, or I try to be super ambitious and let people play either and combine them.

Alien Conquest -- This is a game where players are all Warlord conquerors enslaved to the evil mother brain. A new world lies before the seed-ship that carries all the alien invaders and their forces, but raw materials and resources must be gathered to awaken more than a handful of troops and weapons -- at least to start. Players could cooperate and compete to conquer the most of planet(s) as covert to increasingly direct invasion forces. Will you conquer worlds for the mother brain? Will you cast off your chains of bondage and become a free race once again? How many worlds will you conquer?

X-com -- (Extraterrestrial combat/communication) -- This game is basically a reverse alien conquest. Players are top secret, mysteriously funded organizations tasked with one thing -- discover the increasing influence and interference of alien UFOs, make contact (for good or ill) and engage the aliens as necessary, and most of all gain alien technology to better serve your kind and enable you to stand against extra-terrestrial threats. Players could be all factions of a single world-funded organization or individual national or private projects to unravel the mystery of the aliens, and presuming they are not goodwilled, overcome them...

So I'm putting my interest check out there -- let me know if you'd be interested in being an alien invader or a extra-terrestrial combat organization?

I'll elaborate on mechanics and details as a basic concept forms, but here are teasers for the respective games:

X-Com Extraterrestrial defense: Each player designs their own defense force and picks a couple of cutting edge technologies to distinguish them, and public and private objectives for their organizations. Organizations may often work together and against one another for the best discoveries/control of alien tech... but will human ambition and division cost the earth it's freedom?

Name of Organization?

Level of Secrecy -- is it an open secret like area 51, belonging to a national governement? Is it a shadowy corporation? Is it a secret society that has been prepping for an invasion for ages? What level of popular support do you have? What resources do you have access to? Public funding? Private riches? Illicit or clandestine funding through black markets or world governments at large?

Starting Tech Perks -- One or two selected techs that are cutting edge for the current era. Does your organization have robotics (and what are the robots good at)? First Generation Laser Weaponry? Superior Aircraft? Better soldier/agent training programs? Psi-Development? Ground support vehicles? Healing protonanotech?

Once the organizations were formed they would place their initial base(s) on an earth world map and point their radars at the sky, and follow rumors and sightings in the hopes of confronting the alien menace before it grows out of hand/too late to stop...

Alien Conquest : Same as above, but for the bad guys:

Overlord: This is You/Your leader. What do they look like? What motivates them? What is their personality, how do they feel about other overlords?

Relationship to the mother brain: The Sleeper ship, and all overlords, answer to a unifying force -- the evil mother brain. Is your faction free-thinking with their own interests? Do they do the bidding of the mother brain without question? Do they secretly harbor dreams of freedom or rebellion? Are they mindless conquerors in service to her? Factions with better relations with the mother brain may receive bonuses during faction construction.

What alien race(s) do you lead in your journey for conquest? Animalistic beasts? Elite soldiers? Robots? what do they look like and what motivates them? You can design your own race(s) or the GM (Me) can work with you to create some from pre-fab templates. What is your faction like? What is their history? (conquered like so many other planets, freely serve the mother brain for whatever reason, are purely constructs, etc.)

Starting Resources: The basic starting resources are 20 Biomass, 10 Resources, 10 Energy, 2 fighters, and a scout ship. More resources will need to be acquired to increase your forces, technology, fleet, and scale of invasion. Depending on your faction concept you may have more or less of certain resources and depend on some more than others.

The Sleeper ship has only so much resources and has expended most of it's power simply traveling to earth -- Can you take what little resources are out of cold-storage and lead your handful of aliens towards becoming a true planetary invasion force capable of conquering the planet?

More details to come, but checking to see interest "so-far" first. If interest (or even diversity) of interested players is limited here I may move the interest check to group RPs instead, but I think this game is going to be detailed, heavy, with mostly behind the scenes mechanics and gamified elements... so I wanted to propose it first as a nation builder.

Mechanically I think there will be 1-3 alien operations a week, with planetary defense players attempting to secure positive outcomes from thwarting/facing these operations. Every week players get resources to spend and opportunities to develop new terrestrial techs, trade existing tech, or develop new tech. The aliens based on operation success would grow their invasion forces, unlock more powerful armaments and ships, and attempt to work together or versus one another to conquer the earth as opposed to saving it.

Thanks for Reading! Thanks to everyone who's already enjoyed one of my RPs and here's hoping to making new friends as well!

-Beck
Both are very intriguing in their own ways, but I think I'm leaning towards the Xcom side.

Missed out on your last nation builder so I'm going to express my interest early this time. No preference at the moment either way.

Always interested in an RP by beck! I'm leaning more towards the Xcom concept.

Super interested, I'm leaning heavily toward the alien invasion concept. But I don't mind if it ends up being XCom.

We may do both, yutohase yutohase -- if I'm feeling ambitious. I have a feeling that by making it alien players vs. earth players the game will to a certain extent generate a lot of it's own content, though I as GM will keep things organized/moving forward.

We may do both, yutohase yutohase -- if I'm feeling ambitious. I have a feeling that by making it alien players vs. earth players the game will to a certain extent generate a lot of it's own content, though I as GM will keep things organized/moving forward.
I mean, I would prefer if it be one or the other, since I'm of the mindset that players should be working together toward one common goal. But if you decide it would be X-Com, I think it would be fun to do a smaller alien invasion thing on the side.

When we have a good enough starting stable of players we'll see who's interested in potential PvP vs. everyone being on one side.

Also interested though my ideas may be a bit out there for one of your ideas. Hoping to have two concepts each and whichever one works/ is better roll with that one as my RP choice.

Definitely sounds like something I'd like to sign up for. The XCOM scenario sounds significantly more appealing to me, but I guess I could also whip up something for the alien side if that's what ends up happening.

By popular declaration we are shelving the idea of alien players for the time being (but may bring them in once the alien war has escalated) -- people who want to play Xcom Organizations will be contacted shortly.

By popular declaration we are shelving the idea of alien players for the time being (but may bring them in once the alien war has escalated) -- people who want to play Xcom Organizations will be contacted shortly.
Oh no! Well I’m fine playing a human until we can play as Aliens.

Last edited:
Interesting as anything, if space is still open I'd love to join.

Consider my interest piqued. I love XCOM! I’d love to participate, if there’s any open/available spots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back