• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Deepest Desire

SerenityAngel

...the Story Teller
In every kingdom there are three districts. The first district is where the palace and the nobility live, along with all the wealth of the kingdom. In the second district the commoners and farms are. They provide all the food that the entire kingdom requires and are relatively happy. The third district is mainly factories where goods are made like clothes, No one lives in this district but they travel there to work.

In the second district on a farm the day was beginning for a poor family bright and early. A young maiden got up from her bed to greet the day and head quickly to her father's shop to help her family out. Her elder brother already awake and waiting on her as well as her elderly father. The young man had cropped auburn hair and strong facial features that he got from his father while the maiden had white porcelain skin, sapphire eyes, and the longest golden hair ever seen that shone in the sunlight. The mother however, unfortunately, is deathly sick and bed-ridden and cannot leave her room so the rest of the family works hard to make enough to try and cure her. Together, the father, the son and the daughter all went to the shop and opened up to bring in the paycheck and hopefully save the mother's life.

In the palace in the first district the king and queen of Acela were discussing the future wedding and coronation of the prince of Acela and the princess of Larrington with the king and queen of Larrington. An arranged marriage so that the prince could take over the kingdom with one of royal blood at his side as the law stipulates. This was not what the prince wanted, but the princess desired nothing more. She claimed to love him but what she really wanted was power. A cold ring of gold and the power to do whatever she wanted. She was not unattractive, but she was not the most beautiful of people and she was definitely not the nicest of people. She had mocha colored skin, long curly fawn hair, lipid brown eyes and a smile that could be referred to as a Cheshire cat grin. This is the princess Aurora of Larrington.

This is where our story begins.

Kingfisher Kingfisher

James ran a hand through his curly, dirty blond hair once more, a sigh barely kept from escaping his lips. He was accompanying Princess Aurora, as per her request, on a walk through the gardens of the palace. The morning sun was bright and the breeze was cool, but on this day the young man could not help but feel utterly stifled.

In the first district the sky never seemed as blue nor the birds as cheerful to him, everything overshadowed by the presence of the palace and all the things that came with it. He did not hate the palace, nor his family, and the mantle of responsibility he would take without hesitance when the time came, for that was his duty. But he hated the lies, treachery and greed that surrounded him there. Everyone was looking for the family's favor, for positions of power, and for wealth. He did not care greatly for such things. He just wanted simplicity.

And with Aurora, he was about as far from simplicity as one could get.

They were approaching the palace once more, for breakfast would soon be approaching and the ladies of nobility had need of changing and freshening up. James took this as an opportunity to excuse himself from the party. He had a headache, he told them, and would have breakfast in his room, he was terribly sorry, and would see them again for the picnic later that day. After he'd made his excuses he had a simple breakfast brought to his room, and having quickly eaten and changed into riding clothes he headed to the stables, giving his valet orders to make excuses for him if he returned late.

Soon, he was out of the palace once more, riding away from the nobility district and towards the farms and shops that were already bustling with life, wind blowing through his mount's dark mane and whipping his face. He closed his green eyes and breathed deeply of the air which smelled of straw and smoke and clover. Out here, he could relax, if only for a short time. He let thoughts of responsibility slip off of him.

4cd291c27f109b01fc590366da391b42.jpg The day was starting through and the two boys had the shop set up and going, already trying to lure in patrons. The young maiden had been help to stack the shelves for a couple of hours before she was told by her father that they were out of flower and needed some from the bakery next door to make the bread that they sold. She was more than happy to do her father's bidding so when he gave her the money to get what was needed she hurried out with a warm smile dancing upon her bright pink lips. Along the way one of her friends that owned the local flower shop pulled her aside and adorned the girl's golden hair. "It's our new cross species. We used the white rose that was already crossbred with a white carnation and a white lily that had been crossbred with edelweiss to create this new flower we decided to name it after you. The white serene." the shop owner said with a smile as she made sure that the flower would not tug or pull on the soft golden locks of silk hair and keep out of the girl's gorgeous sapphire eyes. "Thank you so much, Flora. I love it. I had best get going or my father will be angry that I am late getting back." the young maiden said smiling and bid the girl a fond farewell and hurried to the bakery where she bought the flower as she needed it and headed back but she was not paying attention to anything but getting back to the shop and because of this she did not see the prince heading right for her. If either of them didn't look, the maiden would surely be hit by the horse and trampled on. Luckily she did decide to look up and saw the horse coming right for her and for a moment she was frozen and at the last moment she came to and she dove out of the way to escape being trampled by the large and powerful beast. Once she was out of the way she looked up at him, her long golden hair tousled now because of her hurry for safety, understandably angry that she was nearly trampled on by this guy whom she had never met before. "Watch where you're going! You nearly trampled me!" she called to him more shaken than angry to be honest.

James' eyes flew open as his mare skidded to a halt, nearly throwing her rider from the saddle. With practiced skill the prince managed to stay mounted, and once the horse had calmed he swung himself down to the ground with haste. He hurried to the maiden's side, kneeling in the dust to offer his gloved hand to her. "Milady! My humblest apologizes!" he began, his cheeks flushed from the wind and his voice wrought with concern, "Did I hurt you?" he asked.

He was looking at a fair young woman, her long hair out of place and adorned with white blooms. It could not be denied that she was beautiful. Her blue eyes were clear and bright, and if it was not for her angry, and slightly frightened, expression, he would have thought her to be a fairy, or perhaps an angel, like those in the stained glass windows of the churches.

4cd291c27f109b01fc590366da391b42.jpg Her body trembled a little as the shock and adrenalin rescinded slowly as she is helped to her feet. "I...I don't believe I am injured save for a few scratches to my hand from the fall." she said and looked at the slight abrasions to the palm of her right hand. She was thankful she kept a tight grip on the bag of flower in her arms so the food would not be wasted. She looked up at the stranger and was suddenly struck with a bit of shock. His face was that of a statue. Handsome and flawless. She gently pulled away from him and forced herself to remember that she didn't have time to talk, let alone get to know such a handsome boy as him, even if he did nearly run her over. She ran her fingers of that injured hand through her hair to fix the stray strands so that she was presentable again. She was careful not to touch her hair with her scratches. "Um....I....I should get going...." she said quietly, now quite calm.

"Are- are you sure, milady?" James asked, feeling it would be quite ungentlemanly of him if he did nothing to right his blunder. He hadn't realized his horse had veered down a busier road. He expected the mare was used to traveling that way and simply turned by habit. Still- he felt terrible. He should have noticed, and most definitely should have looked about himself. "Might I at least carry your parcels for you?" he offered, "It was my fault after all, I want to make it up to you somehow."

4cd291c27f109b01fc590366da391b42.jpg Seeing the man try to make up for his mistake and offer to help by carrying the flower she smiled warmly at him, "Thank you for the offer, but it's just flower." she explained. She saw that he was remorseful about what happened and it really wasn't his intention to do any harm so she let it go quite quickly. "You needn't worry about it. It could have happened to anyone. I'm just thankful I looked up when I did or we'd both be in some big trouble. Me with injuries and you from my father and brother. They would not have been as understanding as I so if you just keep quiet about this to anyone and I'll consider us even. If my father ever heard about this he'd have me go to the doctor straight away tough we have no time nor money for such things." she explained with a sweet little giggle from her cherry lips. "By the way, my name is Serenity. Serenity Alabast. It was nice to meet you though the way we met could have been a little less....action-filled."

It was then that a tall boy with auburn hair came out of a store just down the street dressed in overalls and a plaid shirt with rolled up sleeves calling for Serenity. It was her older brother calling for her and she turned her head quickly to spot him heading in her direction. She turned back to the handsome stranger and gave a small curtsy, "I have to go. Come by our shop if you need anything." she offered smiling still then hurried off and called to her big and quite strong brother, "Coming Sapphire!" she called and once she met up with him she smiled as he scorned her but gently as if he were just exasperated rather than angry or anything. They disappeared inside the shop and got back to work for the day. She really would have like to have spent more time with him but she had a job to do and a family to take care of. She could not be selfish and think only of herself, even for a moment. If he had any similar feelings about her, even though they had just met, he would have to give her a reason to spend some more time with him.

Back at the castle things were getting set up for the prince's birthday soon and then was his wedding and shortly thereafter, his coronation. The entire castle was a buzz with the events and knew that it was to be a lot of celebrating and wondrous and extravagant parties. Most of the staff were excited but none more so than the spoiled princess of Larrington, Aurora. She talked with the king and queen and practically had them wrapped around her little finger by way of her acting like a perfect princess in front of them. They sat and drank tea on the terrace and discussed the plans for James's birthday, the wedding and the future for the kingdom. Aurora loved the attention and the idea of ruling the kingdom while she had James firmly in her grasp as he had no choice.

Last edited:
"Serenity..." James said quietly, trying the name out on his own tongue. It fit her, he thought. He turned as they vanished inside the shop, remounting his mare who waited patiently beside the road. He decided to return to the palace once more, and made his way back.

He couldn't help but feel glad that she didn't recognize him. In the first district, he couldn't go about without someone knowing who he was. Farther away from the palace however, few people would recognize him his from face alone, though his expensive clothes would usually make him stick out. Still, people treated him differently out here, and he liked the way it felt. When they found out he was the prince they would become too stiff and acquiescent.

His thoughts turned another, sourer direction as he approached the palace. His birthday. Even as a small child it was never something he truly enjoyed. His birthday was an event in which all the noblilty of any import would congregate in the palace to feast and attempt to worm their way closer to the king. This would usually last for a week or more, and many of the guests would stay even months at a time at the palace before they traveled back to their own provinces. Now, with the impending wedding between Aurora and himself, he had no doubt that the gathering would be even larger this year, with a great many of Larrington's nobles to be invited as well.

This thought, of course, brought him to musing over the wedding. It was fast approaching now, and it filled him with a sense of dread. When the arranged marriage was first revealed to him, he was reluctant but not against the idea. He thought, even if they didn't love one another at first, ir ever, they might be friends and rule the kingdom together. Then, he met Aurora. The moment of their first meeting, he could almost feel her lust for power. It was like a suffocating fog, dripping in sickly sweet poison. Her eyes seemed to watch his every movement in search of weakness. He realized then that he would never be able to love her. If they got married, it would be all he could do just to avoid getting swallowed up by her.

Soon, he arrived back at the stables. The sun was directly overhead, but he was told he still had time to prepare for the picnic. He quickly got ready and left his chambers to join his family, along with Princess Aurora and the rest of the group, as they were about to set out.

Last edited:
Aurora was engaged in deep conversation with the kings and queens over a cup of tea. They all seemed to be getting along so well that you would think they were all already family but for the princess, it was all a flawless act. When she spotted James come inside the palace she immediately got up from her seeds after the tea table and ran over to him. She flung her arms around his neck and a warm embrace before she did this she also was special very lonely in to James ear so that only he could hear her speak and no one would be the wiser, "Where were you?" She asked subtly angry, "You were supposed to have breakfast with us but you said you were not feeling well so I went to check on you and you weren't there. Care to explain, my love?" She was playing like she was being loving and sweet but that was only to hide the jeallous nature she possessed. She did not want anyone to even try to jeopardize her future, not even her betrothed. She had no idea the trouble that was coming her way and what she would become because of it.

"Son!" called the king with a large and proud smile as if nothing were wrong, as if he weren't forcing his only son to fallow the law that he didn't want to fallow, "It is good to see you up and about again. I'm glad you're feeling better. Come have some tea with us, unless you want to talk to your beloved alone?" he said with a wink and slight suggestion in his voice, knowing he was a young man and how most boys thought at his age, but James had been a good lad his whole life so a little freedom was alright, right?

Last edited:
How did Aurora enter his rooms when his Gentleman of the Bedchamber, one of his closest friends, had been ordered to refuse anyone entrance into his chambers? Ah, James thought grimly, so the woman was even able to sink her claws into his very own Gentleman of the Bedchamber?

He smiled stiffly as Aurora's hot breath tickled against his ear. "Some business for the estate came up, and I could not refuse the summons," he replied neutrally, in an equally low tone. He straightened up from his slightly bent position, the movement forcing Aurora to either relax her grip or be dangled comically from his neck. When she had released him, he bowed to his parents, and to the king and queen of Larrington. "I would be delighted to join you for tea, Your Magesties, Your Highnesses." The last thing he would want was to be alone in a room with Aurora. He took a seat to the right of Aurora's mother, the farthest from where the Princess had been seated previously. If the Princess moved seats now, it would be considered very rude to her companions seated to her right and left.

He could feel her gaze on him, and he turned to meet it. Her eyes seemed so dark and murky now, he thought, as a vision of clear sapphire eyes flashed before him. He gave a little sigh, before turning to join the conversation with a smile that didn't quite feel genuine.

Aurora had let go when he pulled away from her but she was definitely not happy with being brushed off like that and the excuse he gave her did not satisfy her but she would let it go for now and sit back down. She was upset that James would not sit next to her. She had wanted to talk to him more but the way he moved away from her left her no room to do so. She decided she would talk to him later and get the truth out of him. She saw a strange look in his eyes when he looked at her eyes. Like he was almost daydreaming for a second and she knew he was not looking at her anymore but thinking of something or someone else. The air was somewhat quiet for the time being butit was soon disrupted by James' father the king.

"Son, we have been discussing your birthday and the ball that is to celebrate it, is there anything special that you want to do this year?" he asked before taking a sip of his tea.

Aurora chimed in as if nothing was wrong and the party was for her, "Oh! What about a masquerade! I just adore those lovely masks everyone wears. Or we could have a garden ball! That hasn't been done before I think. Oh it is just so exciting!" she said happily.

"Aurora, you do realize it is James' birthday, not yours." the queen of Larrington reminded her daughter, "Your birthday is still a few months away and we will do whatever you wish then. Alright?"

"Yes mother, of course. I'm sorry." she said looking a bit sheepish and embarrassed but really she was angry that her mother would deny her wishes like that.

"So James, what special thing did you want to do for your birthday?" the queen asked turning to him.

Normally the balls were held for only the nobility from different lands and the first districts. It was unheard of for any commoners to attend, even less was it to be held anywhere else besides the castle and on that James' parents would not bend. The ball would be held inside the castle but what James decided beyond that was up to him.

A masquerade? That did sound like a good idea, though James hated to admit it. His motives were rather selfish, however. At a masquerade, no one would recognize him easily. Perhaps he could even have a good time.

He turned and gave his bride-to-be one of his best attempts at a genuine smile. "I think Princess Aurora's idea of a masquerade is splendid!" he said.

Aurora looked at James surprised that he took he side and gave her exactly what she wanted and smiled happily. She even squealed excitedly and hugged him, "Oh thank you, love! You're the best!" she cheered. She then let go of him and with as much excitement as she could muster exclaimed unable to contain herself, "I have to go get my costume ready! Oh I'm so excited!" she then hurried off to take a maid and help her have a dress made as well as an elaborate mask. '

The king looked at his son and wondered if this was really what he wanted or if he was just giving in to his fiancé. He knew that James didn't care anything at all about the arranged marriage but to just give in like that was not normal. Perhaps he was finally starting to show some affection toward his intended. This brought a smile to the king's lips.

Meanwhile Serenity continued to work at her family's shop and go through her day. She couldn't help but think about the guy who helped her. She remembered his eyes and how he smiled. There was just something about him she liked even though she had only met him briefly. She wondered if she would ever see him again but right now she had other problems. Because of her beauty she had a lot of suitors that begged to go out with her but she never understood why. She never thought herself as beautiful but she was, both inside and out and everyone could see that and every boy in second district knew it. Both good boys and bad and all had a desire to have her but she would never accept any of them as a potential boyfriend so she just associated with her father, her brother and the one boy that worked at her father's store. It wasn't too long before trouble walked in and she knew that Sapphire would be in to beat their butts if they made trouble but that didn't stop them from tring to flirt with her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back