Other Debate Thread

Loke Fullbuster

The Language Enthusiast
Before you Go: So, I know what everyone is thinking, "Here we go again!" "Not another one." "This is going to go so horribly wrong." "What have you done?", but I assure you that this can go incredibly well if we all remain respectful. Now on to my reasoning.

Introduction: So, I'm taking debate this year and it's something that I love, so I wanna get a little experience in. Now I know youre wondering what I could learn from debating with people on an online forum but I feel I can learm a lot about crafting an argument and crushing an opponent with logic. There will be controversial topics that could upset people as I'm sure we'll all be passionate about our opinions, but I urge you all to be respectful and carefully consider the words you use as well as the tone. In order to assure this runs smoothly I will lay down a few rules.

Rules:

1. No Cursing- I know this will be hard for some people including me because when I casually debate I use cursing for exclamation but it doesnt prove or strengthen an argument, it only weakens it.

2. No Personal Attacks- No matter how frustrated you are you dont have a right to attack your opponent, including calling them dumb or a racist or anything. It makes you look like an ass to be honest. (Breaks my own rule)

3. Not Really A Rule- Failure to follow any rules will result in the post being deleted, and mods being notified if I deem it to be a severe enough infraction.

4. Keep of topic comments to a minimum- Stick to the debate at hand please there will be time to debate other things.

5. Please, No Spam- No one likes it. Give others time to reply. What fun is a one sided debate?

Reminder: I WILL NOT delete posts that go against my opinions. I will have no hard feelings towards those with varying opinions. You make my debate world go round.

How This Will Work: I will pick the first topic and we'll debate it until I feel the topic is dead or need not be debated anymore. After the first debate is finished I will allow everyone to make suggestions and the ones with the most likes will be thrown into a poll where people will vote for the next one. The one that wins will be our next topic and I will establish a time limit for the debate. You can reply as much as you want to anyone you want and even add links and sources. Once I declare a debate over, replies following will be deleted if it is about the ended debate.

Thoughts? Questions? Comments? Concerns before I post the topic?

I really hope this thread is succesful and I hope it doesnt die because I love debate and I know some of you love it too.

Loke Fullbuster said:
"Here we go again!" "Not another one."

Yep here we go again. I suggest some research before you make this leap because threads like these have a short life span and for good reason and if you're lucky it'll be derailed onto something different.

Loke Fullbuster said:
I feel I can learn a lot about crafting an argument and crushing an opponent with logic.

That's all well and good yet something tells me there is a keyboard warrior behind those words itching for a fight. Buuuut I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that this is a clever way to sharpen up before the next debate club, huh?

Loke Fullbuster said:
There will be controversial topics that could upset people as I'm sure we'll all be passionate about our opinions, but I urge you all to be respectful and carefully consider the words you use as well as the tone.

And that's where the train wreck/derailment begins. You sure you want to go through with this? Think of the mods! They'll have to stay up in the wee hours of the night and morning to watch this like a hawk. Think of their children! (that is sarcasm, god help you if you took that seriously)

Loke Fullbuster said:
No Personal Attacks- No matter how frustrated you are you don't have a right to attack your opponent, including calling them dumb or a racist or anything. It makes you look like an ass to be honest.

Heh, asking a SJW not to call someone racist when they disagree with them is like asking a normal human being not to breathe. This should be interesting.

Loke Fullbuster said:
I will pick the first topic and we'll debate it until I feel the topic is dead or need not be debated anymore. Once I declare a debate over, replies following will be deleted if it is about the ended debate.

Only way that'll happen is a thread lock which I see in this thread's near future. Good luck.

Yep here we go again. I suggest some research before you make this leap because threads like these have a short life span and for good reason and if you're lucky it'll be derailed onto something different.

That's all well and good yet something tells me there is a keyboard warrior behind those words itching for a fight. Buuuut I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that this is a clever way to sharpen up before the next debate club, huh?

And that's where the train wreck/derailment begins. You sure you want to go through with this? Think of the mods! They'll have to stay up in the wee hours of the night and morning to watch this like a hawk. Think of their children! (that is sarcasm, god help you if you took that seriously)

Heh, asking a SJW not to call someone racist when they disagree with them is like asking a normal human being not to breathe. This should be interesting.

Only way that'll happen is a thread lock which I see in this thread's near future. Good luck.

I've considered all of these things! Thanks for your advice!

If Facebook, Tumblr, and Twitter can be viable citation sources... I might be interested in taking part in these debates.

If Facebook, Tumblr, and Twitter can be viable citation sources... I might be interested in taking part in these debates.

So this ain't my thread, but i'd say it's fine.
As long as you remember that opinion doesn't equal fact, and backing up an opinion with more opinions doesn't make it more factual.
Tumblr, Twitter, etc. are mostly places to share opinions. Any "facts" you find there should be taken with a grain of salt.
That said, if you think someone's blog post phrased something better thsn you could, feel free to show us.

Just as I thought... If I let it sit long enough there'd be some hype. ONTO TOPIC ONE!

TOPIC ONE
I'm sure we've all heard about it but I'm going to give a quick rundown of what happened in Charlottesville. To sum things up, a statue of Confederate Army General Robert E. Lee was marked for removal and going to be removed. The removal of confederate flags and statues has been an ongoing thing in the U.S., nothing new. But this time a "white supremesist" rally called unite the right was held, where many protestors organized, marching through the streets with torches, battons, confederate and nazi flags, shiels, and other weapons and such. Eventually counter protests ensued and fights broke out, and when it was all over, one protester was dead, one of many protesters run down by a Neo-Nazi's car.

President Trump originally responded to the violence but failed to condemn the white supremesists. Two days later he finally made a statemen condemning hate and violence. However, President Trump is now under fire for seemingly defending them in a recent press conference. He made comments claiming some of the white supremesists were "fine people" who were there to "protest peacfully."

So I ask you, was President Trump wrong for seemingly defending the protesters? Was his response unpresidential? Did he do enough to condemn the hate and violence?

T TheRockInception Chimney Swift Chimney Swift Axel The Englishman Axel The Englishman Shalalong Shalalong Woke Woke The Gunrunner The Gunrunner myfanwy myfanwy Rachael of the Shire Rachael of the Shire

Last edited:
Honestly Trump wouldn't do anything about it so I can't say that I really am surprised considering that is one of them. Also is there really anything you can do about that besides inprisoning those who had committed assault and murder. Otherwise what they did was legal

Just as I thought... If I let it sit long enough there'd be some hype. ONTO TOPIC ONE!

TOPIC ONE
I'm sure we've all heard about it but I'm going to give a quick rundown of what happened in Charlottesville. To sum things up, a statue of Confederate Army General Robert E. Lee was marked for removal and going to be removed. The removal of confederate flags and statues has been an ongoing thing in the U.S., nothing new. But this time a "white supremesist" organization called unite the right as well as many other protestors organized, marching through the streets with torches, battons, confederate and nazi flags, shiels, and other weapons and such. Eventually counter protests ensued and fights broke out, and when it was all over, one protester was dead, one of many protesters run down by a Neo-Nazi's car.

President Trump originally responded to the violence but failed to condemn the white supremesists. Two days later he finally made a statemen condemning hate and violence. However, President Trump is now under fire for seemingly defending them in a recent press conference. He made comments claiming some of the white supremesists were "fine people" who were there to "protest peacfully."

So I ask you, was President Trump wrong for seemingly defending the protesters? Was his response unpresidential? Did he do enough to condemn the hate and violence?

T TheRockInception Chimney Swift Chimney Swift Axel The Englishman Axel The Englishman Shalalong Shalalong Woke Woke The Gunrunner The Gunrunner myfanwy myfanwy Rachael of the Shire Rachael of the Shire

You have one thing wrong about your first paragraph. Unite the Right was a rally held there, not a group.

I felt like Trump should have kept his original condemnation and included the fact that Nazis are included that hatred has no place in our country, but Trump being Trump, he backtracks or goes golfing, so now he lost what tiny minute respect I had for his original statement, because I feel that both sides are at fault. But anyway, if you're honestly asking if his responses were unpresidential, boy, you could find more than enough ammunition to say practically anything he has done is more than unpresidential.
If you ask me, this isn't really hugely interesting to debate. You can't use facts here to support your conclusion, compared to, say, should we still have Social Security, this is one of those things where your echo chamber echoes louder and louder.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back