Deal Breakers. What makes you "walk" away?

So take it down if they find you and tell you too. They can't sue you. Not if they only know a username and a profile pic.

Besides, humans have been disrespecting artists wishes for years. You think picasso would want gift shops to be selling prints of his paintings? It's no different except you're not selling it.

The moment you put something on the internet, everyone has access to it. There are worse things people could be doing with your art.

In my mind art theft is either a. Stealing art from an art museum in the real world all movie style or b. Pisting art that you didn't draw on your devianart and saying "hey guys look at this cool thing I drew that's definitely mine" or any variation thereof of claiming art that you didn't draw was drawn by you.

In my mind art theft is either a. Stealing art from an art museum in the real world all movie style or b. Pisting art that you didn't draw on your devianart and saying "hey guys look at this cool thing I drew that's definitely mine" or any variation thereof of claiming art that you didn't draw was drawn by you.
Yeah, that pretty much sounds like it lol. I’d be thrilled if someone used my art for a RP, to be honest.

Yeah, that pretty much sounds like it lol. I’d be thrilled if someone used my art for a RP, to be honest.
I admit I’d be mildly bothered if someone used my art, especially depending on what it is. An OC of mine? Okay fine, just AS LONG as they give credit and link back to me. But a commission that somebody else paid for? Not acceptable to use in most cases.

Please, for the love of all things good in the world - if you use another person’s art for an RP or anything else similar, LINK BACK TO THEM. Not giving credit back to an artist is far more harmful than you might think.

So take it down if they find you and tell you too. They can't sue you. Not if they only know a username and a profile pic.

Besides, humans have been disrespecting artists wishes for years. You think picasso would want gift shops to be selling prints of his paintings? It's no different except you're not selling it.

The moment you put something on the internet, everyone has access to it. There are worse things people could be doing with your art.
There are a lot of things people can do to you that you can't sue them for. Does that mean those things are okay? And exposure is a thing that exists in real life.

Yeah I'm already pretty reluctant on the topic of using art for anything. Artwork, whether it's a story, picture, video, or anything similar, takes valuable time and effort to create, and I feel it's best to respect that by crediting the artist at the very least.

Doesn't matter what art I use or what I use it for - even if it's my profile picture. I always make sure to link the artist or source somewhere. It's the courteous thing to do.

I admit I’d be mildly bothered if someone used my art, especially depending on what it is. An OC of mine? Okay fine, just AS LONG as they give credit and link back to me. But a commission that somebody else paid for? Not acceptable to use in most cases.

Please, for the love of all things good in the world - if you use another person’s art for an RP or anything else similar, LINK BACK TO THEM. Not giving credit back to an artist is far more harmful than you might think.
I genuinely didn’t realise that could be bad! I feel really guilty now, honestly... I’ll try to keep that in mind and either use my own art or link back if I can.

I genuinely didn’t realise that could be bad! I feel really guilty now, honestly... I’ll try to keep that in mind and either use my own art or link back if I can.
It's okay! Not a lot of people realize how harmful it can be. As long as you do your best to link back to the original artist and you should be good.
It's also a good idea to check the artist's description. If you don't see anything about the artist not wanting you to use the work, then it's probably okay just to use for an RP or something. But if you see anything about the art being a commission, it is not acceptable to use. Someone else specifically paid for that art for their own use and it isn't okay for someone else to come along and use it.

It isn't about theft though it's about common courtesy. Say you took a photo of yourself and you posted it online. Say someone took that image of you IRL and used it as a profile image or a character image. Are you going to sue that person? Are they going to suffer any real world consequences? No.

But people will associate your IRL image with whatever that person does. If it's a profile image they'll associate anything that person does/says with you. If it's a character than that character will become linked to you in the same way that a character an actor plays is linked to them.

Now that's a real person image.

Now let's say you're paid fifty dollars to create an image of a character for someone. You put in a lot of effort and time to give them their money's worth and then post your work online so they can see it.

Now someone comes along and takes that image without crediting you or even the person who designed the character. So all your hard work is basically just going around the internet for free. Once again you can't control what that artwork is used for or how it is now perceived.

Look at the whole Pepe the Frog meme. I'm pretty sure that was a children's book character but now it's become linked to rightwing trolls and nazis. Because they took the image and made it their own.

I'm not saying that roleplaying is the same level of disrespect but it is still disrespectful. The same way that stubbing your toe still hurts even though you aren't amputating your foot. You don't have to wait until someone reaches the most extreme end of the spectrum before acknowledging that it's wrong.

At the very least just link back to the original creator and make sure they're okay with their art being used for various means. Honestly most art is okay for use as long as you link and there are even entire websites dedicated to images that are in the public domain and can be used by anyone for any reason.

Last edited:
What if I found it on pintrest?
pinterest is art theft central. or, if not "art theft" per se, it's at least full of people who refuse to credit anyone for their work and never link back to the original artist. as an artist myself, I utterly loathe that site. I'd recommend not using it at all. turn to other sites for your art-searching needs, like deviantart, or artstation, or just - anywhere honestly. anywhere but pinterest. or, as rae2nerdy rae2nerdy has said on different occasions, dollmakers are a viable option as well! just link back to the one you used and you'll be all good

What if I found it on pintrest?

I second Potato, pinterest is a terrible site for finding well sourced images. Plus it's actually just really badly put together as well when it comes to searching for specific things. I would say deviantart, artstation or dollmakers would be better for art. Often times that's the original source for the pins anyway and at least that way you know you're linking the person who actually made the work.

For real person images I would suggest looking up public domain websites. There are several of them and they're usually pretty easy to search. And again you know that the person you're linking actually took the photo in question and doesn't care if you use it for your own means.

Reading some cringey examples elsewhere I am reminded once more a sure way to get me to quit...

The bane of my male character roleplay existence, the character in distress aka the damsel in distress or the dude in distress whatever anyone wants to call them. The characters that do not have a lot to say unless it is to their love interest which has been established maybe five posts in and of course the exchange mostly always is "I'll follow you forever, I love you."

These characters don't do much either and for not doing much they sure get in trouble a lot where the have to be rescued at every turn.

Reading some cringey examples elsewhere I am reminded once more a sure way to get me to quit...

The bane of my male character roleplay existence, the character in distress aka the damsel in distress or the dude in distress whatever anyone wants to call them. The characters that do not have a lot to say unless it is to their love interest which has been established maybe five posts in and of course the exchange mostly always is "I'll follow you forever, I love you."

These characters don't do much either and for not doing much they sure get in trouble a lot where the have to be rescued at every turn.

I think it’s because they have never actually met that kind of person in real life and thus think it’s endearing because that’s how it’s played in trashy books.

As someone who met the real life equivalent though... it’s not endearing it’s exhausting and toxic as hell. No sane person wants to be around that kind of personality.

So I just have my character ignore them or put their foot down. And if they can’t do that I make it clear in the internal monologue that they don’t like the character they just don’t know how to stand up for themselves.

It’s a little passive aggressive maybe but it’s also the only way to get through to people that the character isn’t actually a nice person.

When you have to tell a person your reasons on why you're unable to post and that's still not satisfactory enough for them, they want to know your whole life history.

The number one thing that makes me nope out of an RP or interest check would have to be what I deem to be creepy or immoral romantic ship desires.
Teacher/student
Massive age differences among humans
Abuser/Abused

I noped out of the whole site once when I saw someone requesting a Nazi/Jewish ship. The rest of their interest check looked so promising I was about to PM them, but the moment I saw that I just closed the tab and took a breather.

Obviously people can write what they want but I can also find it horribly disgusting and wrong.

The number one thing that makes me nope out of an RP or interest check would have to be what I deem to be creepy or immoral romantic ship desires.
Teacher/student
Massive age differences among humans
Abuser/Abused

I noped out of the whole site once when I saw someone requesting a Nazi/Jewish ship. The rest of their interest check looked so promising I was about to PM them, but the moment I saw that I just closed the tab and took a breather.

Obviously people can write what they want but I can also find it horribly disgusting and wrong.

I think for me it’s a mark of a sheltered life really. As most of the time the people writing these stories have never been in an abusive relationship or molested as a child. So they don’t really pick up on the troubling aspects of what their writing.

I think the easiest way to fix most of it (pedophilia can’t really be wrapped up into a nicer package) is to treat it like a BDSM relationship.

Have the characters talk about what they want in their relationship with full consent from both parties and an acknowledgement that it’s something they both enjoy.

But I think that sort of ties into a wider problem I have with romance in that a lot of it is very surface level. It’s not about really getting into the nitty gritty of the interpersonal dynamics it’s just “character A likes character B because the plot says so.”

1. "Find out in the roleplay."

2. Any one liners after it's been established that those are not going to be used within the RP.

3. An absurd amount of spelling errors to a point where I can't read a third of it.

4. Disrespectful OOC discussion.

5. Any sort of god-modding/meta-gaming.

For me it's a lot of things:

1. The other person's posts are lifeless and I feel like a robot could have put more emotion into them.

2. Age restriction. Why.

3. "And then [insert horrible character name] grew wings and flew away like an angle" and then I have to be like: "Dude, this is a semi-realistic fox roleplay."

4. One liners

5. Writing restriction. Like, why can't I do more than two sentances?!?! Just let me do a paragraph when I want to do a paragraph dammit!

6. " Oh you have school and can't post because you have three tests on Monday? WELL THEN I GUESS GET OUT OF THE ROLEPLAY". That specific one happens to me way to often...

7. When it's possible (and way too easy) for a child / pup / cub / kitten character to die just because "it's supposed to be realistic" and you only find out when you have created a child / pup / cub / kitten character.....

A lot of roleplays/roleplay culture on this site rub me the wrong way, I suppose I'm just 'old-fashioned' though.

Still a wonderful place, just some of it isn't for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back